Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 05-10-2016 10:51 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

And on the topic of ratings and the NHL wanting good ratings, this is still a highly gate driven league so bad raitings doesn't matter as much as it does to other league. The NFL could probably be ok if they played in front of empty stadiums and only had their tv deal.

I'm kinda ok with the NHL being what it is. We're a great overall product and the league is as strong as it's ever been, minus a few bad apples. Glad we don't get sunshine blown up our asses the way the NFL does. While I wish ESPN showed a little more love, the other day Sports Center LEAD with 2017 NFL Draft over NBA or NHL playoffs or MLB games....like wtf?

trd1610 05-10-2016 10:51 AM

The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16407903)
:lol no

the Penguins are 6th in attendance (424 consecutive sellouts) and #1 in local TV ratings (although some outlets have them at #2 with Buffalo passing them. conflicting reports)

the Penguins will most likely break the NHL sellout steak record (487;Avalanche 1995-2006) early in the 2018 season (64 more sellouts to break)

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homeTotal

The Penguins were 11 and Washington was 12.

Tampa is 8

Dramageek 05-10-2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16407918)
Let's not forget Atlanta too....and not the Flames. Hahah Atlanta Flames.

Atlanta does have the distinction of losing not one, but two, teams to Canada. :lol They really give less than zero fucks about hockey in that town.

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16407923)
And on the topic of ratings and the NHL wanting good ratings, this is still a highly gate driven league so bad raitings doesn't matter as much as it does to other league. The NFL could probably be ok if they played in front of empty stadiums and only had their tv deal.

I'm kinda ok with the NHL being what it is. We're a great overall product and the league is as strong as it's ever been, minus a few bad apples. Glad we don't get sunshine blown up our asses the way the NFL does. While I wish ESPN showed a little more love, the other day Sports Center LEAD with 2017 NFL Draft over NBA or NHL playoffs or MLB games....like wtf?

because $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407925)
http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homeTotal

The Penguins were 11 and Washington was 12.

Tampa is 8

:lol wait, are you not factoring in arena size? :lol

you need to filter by percentage of arena filled dude

penguins have 424 consecutive sellouts bud

Penguins 6th, Tampa tied for 9th

trd1610 05-10-2016 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16407913)
of course, but potential doesnt mean much

the NHL saw potential in Carolina and Phoenix too...

So you think that Tampa is more likely to go the way of Atlanta and Carolina than be a long term legitimate hockey market?

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 10:55 AM

and washington is tied with Tampa at 9

trd1610 05-10-2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16407933)
:lol wait, are you not factoring in arena size? :lol

you need to filter by percentage of arena filled dude

penguins have 424 consecutive sellouts bud

Penguins 6th, Tampa tied for 9th

That's fine. So 100% sellout versus 100.9%? Really a huge difference

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407936)
So you think that Tampa is more likely to go the way of Atlanta and Carolina than be a long term legitimate hockey market?

i have no clue what the future holds...if Stamkos doesn't stay in Tampa, then yea, its very possible

i mean, Carolina won a Cup more recently than Tampa and their draw is abysmal now

no one is immune to that type of down turn in a non-traditional hockey market

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407940)
That's fine. So 100% sellout versus 100.9%? Really a huge difference

yes, facts are important

trd1610 05-10-2016 10:58 AM

The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16407942)
i have no clue what the future holds...if Stamkos gets doesn't stay in Tampa, then yea, its very possible

i mean, Carolina won a Cup more recently than Tampa and their draw is abysmal now

Idk, Tampa has been pretty relevant the past five years, have a great AHL system, a young coach and GM, invested owner. I really have trouble seeing things fall apart all that quickly just because Stamkos may go. The team is much more than just 91

trd1610 05-10-2016 10:59 AM

The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16407944)
yes, facts are important

You'd think for being the greatest sports franchise in the history of the world they'd be #1, not hovering around with the likes of a Florida based team

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407945)
Idk, Tampa has been pretty relevant the past five years, have a great AHL system, a young coach and GM, invested owner. I really have trouble seeing things fall apart all that quickly just because Stamkos may go. The team is much more than just 91

it has nothing to do with the "team" or the farm system :lol

91 is the eyeballs, 91 sells the tickets, 91 is the face of the franchise

thats all that matters

Lcsulla 05-10-2016 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16407923)
While I wish ESPN showed a little more love, the other day Sports Center LEAD with 2017 NFL Draft over NBA or NHL playoffs or MLB games....like wtf?

Yeah, it is pretty pathetic but it sure as hell beats their constant stories about wife beating NFL players, Tom Brady's suspension or constant yammering about how 'offensive' some sports team names are to the professionally offended.

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407949)
You'd think for being the greatest sports franchise in the history of the world they'd be #1, not hovering around with the likes of a Florida based team

i don't understand what this means

trd1610 05-10-2016 11:01 AM

The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16407950)
it has nothing to do with the "team" or the farm system :lol

91 is the eyeballs, 91 sells the tickets, 91 is the face of the franchise

thats all that matters

The "team" absolutely matters? That's how you sustain relevance and success?

Hedman and the Triplets get as much attention in Tampa as Stamkos.

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407954)
The "team" absolutely matters? That's how you sustain relevance and success?

Hedman and the Triplets get as much attention in Tampa as Stamkos.

you're not getting it....

you're being way too biased right now...if you think Victor Hedman can save a franchise from folding, you haven't been watching hockey long enough

trd1610 05-10-2016 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16407953)
i don't understand what this means

The Penguins are fractionally ahead of a lowly Florida based franchise. Pretty underwhelming if you ask me.

Lcsulla 05-10-2016 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407949)

I would argue that the Montreal Canadians, New York Yankees and Manchester United would be the top 3 of sports franchises in history.

trd1610 05-10-2016 11:04 AM

The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16407958)
you're not getting it....

you're being way too biased right now...if you think Victor Hedman can save a franchise from folding, you haven't been watching hockey long enough

If you don't know how good those players are than you're the one that doesn't get it bud.

It's not my fault you don't watch or pay attention to them before April. That team in Tampa has a ton of support, all of the players. It's way more than Stamkos.

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407959)
The Penguins are fractionally ahead of a lowly Florida based franchise. Pretty underwhelming if you ask me.

1. i never said Tampa was lowly

2. the Penguins aren't "fractionally" better either...they are on the verge of breaking the NHL record for consecutive sellouts :lol

3. only 2 years ago, Tampa was 19th in attendance...whereas the Penguins have been in the top 8 attendance-wise for a decade, and top 5 for TV ratings for a decade

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407963)
If you don't know how good those players are than you're the one that doesn't get it bud

yikes...now you're just putting words in my mouth

trd1610 05-10-2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16407962)
I would argue that the Montreal Canadians, New York Yankees and Manchester United would be the top 3 of sports franchises in history.

I would probably agree with that

TMoore4075 05-10-2016 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16407928)
because $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

But the thing is, fans eat that shit up? What does that say about many of the people who watch that? Literally a year away from that draft and we're doing a mock draft? Like that won't change 4000 times in 365 days.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16407942)
i have no clue what the future holds...if Stamkos doesn't stay in Tampa, then yea, its very possible

Hell it can happen to more traditional ones. Look at how bad attendance was in Chicago and Pit when they were awful. If those teams can have that shitty of attendance, it can happen anywhere. Hell the Wings were the Dead Things for years in the late 70's and early 80's before Stevie Y showed up. Now in saying that, Tampa is better off than Carolina. Sure they won it in 2006 but they had no sustained success. Cup Finals in 02 and then no playoffs until 06. Cup in 06 and then no playoffs until 09. Then ECF's....and now nothing again.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16407951)
Yeah, it is pretty pathetic but it sure as hell beats their constant stories about wife beating NFL players, Tom Brady's suspension or constant yammering about how 'offensive' some sports team names are to the professionally offended.

That is true. I haven't watched Sports Center in forever though cause, especially the evening one, it's just pandering crap. I like PTI still but even then you know what will lead the show off almost every day....the Warriors.

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16407968)
But the thing is, fans eat that shit up? What does that say about many of the people who watch that? Literally a year away from that draft and we're doing a mock draft? Like that won't change 4000 times in 365 days.

Hell it can happen to more traditional ones. Look at how bad attendance was in Chicago and Pit when they were awful. If those teams can have that shitty of attendance, it can happen anywhere. Hell the Wings were the Dead Things for years in the late 70's and early 80's before Stevie Y showed up. Now in saying that, Tampa is better off than Carolina. Sure they won it in 2006 but they had no sustained success. Cup Finals in 02 and then no playoffs until 06. Cup in 06 and then no playoffs until 09. Then ECF's....and now nothing again.

:thumbsup:thumbsup

trd1610 05-10-2016 11:12 AM

The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16407969)
:thumbsup:thumbsup

Right, so attendance drops when the teams aren't good, so the "team" matters right? Yes there are ups and downs for tons of franchises, but the loss of Stamkos isn't something that is going to automatically torpedo the Lightning. They seem to have a pretty good structure in place. Only time will tell though.

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407972)
Right, so attendance drops when the teams aren't good, so the "team" matters right? Yes there are ups and downs for tons of franchises, but the loss of Stamkos isn't something that is going to automatically torpedo the Lightning. They seem to have a pretty good structure in place. Only time will tell though.

i never said losing Stamkos would torpedo the Lightning

and it's really not about the team, its about having an attraction...Stamkos is Tampa's attraction, regardless of how good Ben Bishop and Victor Hedman are. this is just a fact. the same way Crosby is the attraction in Pittsburgh, regardless of how good Letang and Fleury are.

again, i said i have no clue what the future holds. however, especially in a non-traditional hockey market, losing a star player could absolutely do irreparable damage...no one is immune to it, period.

trd1610 05-10-2016 11:24 AM

The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16407982)
i never said losing Stamkos would torpedo the Lightning

and it's really not about the team, its about having an attraction...Stamkos is Tampa's attraction, regardless of how good Ben Bishop and Victor Hedman are. this is just a fact. the same way Crosby is the attraction in Pittsburgh, regardless of how good Letang and Fleury are.

again, i said i have no clue what the future holds. however, especially in a non-traditional hockey market, losing a star player could absolutely do irreparable damage...no one is immune to it, period.

If the Penguins lost Crosby and the team still played well and had success the franchise wouldn't be in peril. There are other players and other stars like Letang and Malkin. Letang is an attraction to me, guys a great fucking player.

If Stamkos isn't there, and they finished the season with 95-100pts, you think it significantly impacts attendance and the franchises long term stability? Kucherov, Johnson, Hedman, those guys have the popularity and exposure in the local market that Stamkos does. There are currently players on the roster who could step into that role.

I'm not saying anyone's immune, I just like the outlook for the Lightning's future.

hailtopitt 05-10-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16407997)
If the Penguins lost Crosby and the team still played well and had success the franchise wouldn't be in peril. There are other players and other stars like Letang and Malkin. Letang is an attraction to me, guys a great fucking player.

If Stamkos isn't there, and they finished the season with 95-100pts, you think it significantly impacts attendance and the franchises long term stability? Kucherov, Johnson, Hedman, those guys have the popularity and exposure in the local market that Stamkos does. There are currently players on the roster who could step into that role.

I'm not saying anyone's immune, I just like the outlook for the Lightning's future.

yea you just aren't thinking outside the box and with unbiased

it has nothing to do with what we here in this thread think. we all know that we are hardcore hockey fans but we are the extremely small minority

the sooner you realize that, the better grasp you'll have on the business side of this league

trd1610 05-10-2016 11:34 AM

The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16408005)
yea you just aren't thinking outside the box and with unbiased

it has nothing to do with what we here in this thread think. we all know that we are hardcore hockey fans but we are the extremely small minority

the sooner you realize that, the better grasp you'll have on the business side of this league

I'm not being irrational here. On ice success is what matters at the end of the day no? Fans, owners, the league, wants teams that win and play well no? They want to see an entertaining product? That's what drives dollars?

You didn't answer my question. If the team can sustain on ice success, without Stamkos there, why are they at risk to fold? With a talented roster outside of Stamkos, who already have local popularity.

And it's not limited to the Lightning. I asked the same of the Penguins minus Crosby? If the team is doing well does it matter that the "star" isn't there anymore? Would some other extremely talented player like Malkin not step into that role?

Why did the Blackhawks attendance blow? Because the team sucked. Not because they were missing a face of the franchise. Now it's record highs because they have a roster full of talented players and the team wins.