Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

hailtopitt 04-19-2016 08:23 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

oh god, crash is going full melt

Lcsulla 04-19-2016 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16379014)
Also, there was absolutely no way White could have pulled up from that check after Orpik released the puck. Simple physics.

This was the clip I used for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twpX25aVKUs

I watched the video a number of times myself. Thing is White is a pro, he could have cut right when Orpik released it and maybe t hey just jar shoulders, he could have simply stopped or even gone left and run pads into the boards. He did have options IMO.

hailtopitt 04-19-2016 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16379032)
I watched the video a number of times myself. Thing is White is a pro, he could have cut right when Orpik released it and maybe t hey just jar shoulders, he could have simply stopped or even gone left and run pads into the boards. He did have options IMO.

no way...Orpik didn't release the puck very long at all before the hit came

it would be humanly impossible to change course in the amount of time between puck release and hit

~Crashintome89~ 04-19-2016 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16379028)
oh god, crash is going full melt

Not really.

Flyers weren't even supposed to be anywhere near the 0layoffs this year. To make the playoffs during a rebuild season is like playing with house money.

hailtopitt 04-19-2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16379041)
Not really.

Flyers weren't even supposed to be anywhere near the 0layoffs this year. To make the playoffs during a rebuild season is like playing with house money.

well, yea, but that's not what we're talking about right now...

~Crashintome89~ 04-19-2016 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16379044)
well, yea, but that's not what we're talking about right now...

As I mentioned, I can't control the actions of 19,000 people. The bracelet debacle was a pathetic display from drunken idiots but I can't do anything about it so I'm not going to comment on it.

TMoore4075 04-19-2016 08:29 AM

So... hoping the Wings can keep up the level of intensity they had in game 3....just saying.

hailtopitt 04-19-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16379051)
As I mentioned, I can't control the actions of 19,000 people. The bracelet debacle was a pathetic display from drunken idiots but I can't do anything about it so I'm not going to comment on it.

that's fine

but it's still fresh hockey news, so the rest of the thread talking about it shouldn't be a surprise...

i'm sure you'd have plenty to say if it happened somewhere else

Climb2safety 04-19-2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16378991)
getting swept is the definition of an easy out

they were an easy out in 2011 & missed the playoffs in 2014

not that long ago

So this year Toronto was an easy out in the playoffs? That makes no sense.

I also think by definition an easy out happens in round 1.

Lcsulla 04-19-2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16379015)
Oh please, I've literally said like 4 or 5 times that what happened last night was not a representation of the Flyers fanbase as a whole

Agreed, it can happen in any city in any sport. When a home team is getting crushed, especially in a playoff game, the drunk fans get pissed off and vent their frustration by throwing shit on the field or ice. Personally I do not get that action but I have seen it in games enough times to know that it is not confined to the Philadelphia fan base.

hailtopitt 04-19-2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16379064)
So this year Toronto was an easy out in the playoffs? That makes no sense.

I also think by definition an easy out happens in round 1.

:lol:lol uhhh no

jrkarger 04-19-2016 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16378898)
Yeah, I think you have to. They are up 3-0 and still need 11 more wins for the cup. If shit gets out of hand like that again I'd just pull my guys off the ice even if it meant handing the Flyers the game, then returning to Washington and burying them in game 5.

I was referring to the idiotic move of Mike Sullivan playing Matt Murray in the last game of the regular season @ the Flyers in a game that was meaningless for the Pens.

I agree though, if it gets out of hand meaning the Caps are up 3+ in the 3rd and I'm Trotz, I would seriously alternate my 3rd and 4th lines and pull my starting goalie.

~Crashintome89~ 04-19-2016 08:34 AM

Not really. I don't think I made a comment in regards to Pens fans being disruptive during the moment of silence or them booing Lundqvist after he nearly lost an eye.

I didn't say anything because once again, I can't control what people do nor do I think an action of a few are indictive of the entire fanbase.

hailtopitt 04-19-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16379081)
Not really. I don't think I made a comment in regards to Pens fans being disruptive during the moment of silence or them booing Lundqvist after he nearly lost an eye.

I didn't say anything because once again, I can't control what people do nor do I think an action of a few are indictive of the entire fanbase.

you should've said something about the moment of silence...it was 1 guy and he was an asshole...he should be admonished for his behavior just like the thousands of Flyers fans last night

and the Pens fans were booing because Lundqvist should've come out of the game or the Rags should've been charged a timeout...it wasn't a goalie equipment issue, which is really the only time there can be a delay like that with someone who is staying in the game

jrkarger 04-19-2016 08:39 AM

:lol @ Pens fans "booing" lunqvist. Mentions Philly fans cheering after this...

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images...jpg?1319779710

Like H2P said, I'm sensing a trend.

Lcsulla 04-19-2016 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16379077)
I was referring to the idiotic move of Mike Sullivan playing Matt Murray in the last game of the regula season @ the Flyers in a game that was meaningless for the Pens.

I agree though, if it gets out of hand meaning the Caps are up 3+ in the 3rd and I'm Trotz, I would seriously alternate my 3rd and 4th lines and pull my starting goalie.

Gotcha, though in fairness to the Pens I do not have any problem with a team limiting or scratching key guys for a meaningless game to avoid injury.

Completely agree on the second part. You start out with your normal lineup but if shit goes to hell again you you pull your key guys out of there in a heartbeat and have your B team go through the motions.

Edit: would not at all be surprised to see some healthy scratches in the Caps lineup tomorrow.

kev87lads 04-19-2016 08:40 AM

http://deadspin.com/on-philadelphia-fans-1771756748

Good article.

fonzz41 04-19-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16379008)
Great post. The thing about this year's group, and especially Ovie, is it's all about the team. It was like that last year too, but the additions they've made took them over the top (read: my hard on Brian MacLellan). They seem to have the right attitude. They really genuinely seem to like each other a lot and enjoy playing with each other. You'll never hear any of these guys talking about individual stuff and when asked, they'll say it's only about team success. And no they aren't the first to have said it but I sure do believe them.

You make a great point about no baggage. Everyone has a place on this team. I think that really adds to that team chemistry and that balance comes from great coaching. There's a lot of star power and very little ego in that room. It's all Trotz, man.

Yeah, dude. Great coaching and really astute signings. I just look up and down their depth chart and can't help but be impressed.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16379032)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16379039)
no way...Orpik didn't release the puck very long at all before the hit came

it would be humanly impossible to change course in the amount of time between puck release and hit

Yeah. He had about half a second after Orpik released the puck. There was no way. Body checking is a part of hockey. That was a perfectly acceptable and reasonable opportunity to body check an opposing player.

hailtopitt 04-19-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16379104)

per the article:

"There’s a civic character that values toughness, carries a chip on its shoulder, is vehemently unapologetic. It’s what makes Philly such a great city, as John Gonzalez teased out in this really excellent essay. It’s also why some Philadelphians will take pride in things like last night’s bracelet storm."

:lol oh my god give me a fucking break

~Crashintome89~ 04-19-2016 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16379077)
I was referring to the idiotic move of Mike Sullivan playing Matt Murray in the last game of the regular season @ the Flyers in a game that was meaningless for the Pens.

Dear God, if the Flyers are losing by three late in the third, they're not going to "goon it up." That's barbaric. There would be so many heavy fines for both the players involved and the organization.

It's the Flyers, but come on. Let's get smart here, fellas.

jrkarger 04-19-2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16379101)
Gotcha, though in fairness to the Pens I do not have any problem with a team limiting or scratching key guys for a meaningless game to avoid injury.

Right. But, Fleury was at the time (and still is out with a concussion). Murray was the top guy heading into the Rangers series and Sullivan played him anyway and he got hurt. That's why the Pens are now forced to roll with Zatkoff. Sullivan should have sat Murray in that last game against Philly.

unccrombie 04-19-2016 08:46 AM

I'd be acting like an ass, taking penalties, and whatever else if I had to wear that vomit orange and be seen in public in it too

fonzz41 04-19-2016 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16379055)
So... hoping the Wings can keep up the level of intensity they had in game 3....just saying.

Nice change of subject. ;)

Did Abdelkader ever reveal why he was so pissed at Blunden? I love Abby, but I hate to see a guy throwing punches when they're down on the ice like that. And damn, Abby was THROWING 'em.

jrkarger 04-19-2016 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16379110)
Dear God, if the Flyers are losing by three late in the third, they're not going to "goon it up." That's barbaric. There would be so many heavy fines for both the players involved and the organization.

It's the Flyers, but come on. Let's get smart here, fellas.

Ok, I get your point. But, (and this is a BIG BUT) unless I'm reading the box score wrong, after the Caps were up 4-1 in the 3rd last night, the Flyers took SIX penalties including 3 misconducts.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400874096

jrkarger 04-19-2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16379116)
I'd be acting like an ass, taking penalties, and whatever else if I had to wear that vomit orange and be seen in public in it too

It must be the color... I've seen a lifetime of asshats at Bengals and Browns games too.

:lol

I kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid, I kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid

TMoore4075 04-19-2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16379125)
Nice change of subject. ;)

Did Abdelkader ever reveal why he was so pissed at Blunden? I love Abby, but I hate to see a guy throwing punches when they're down on the ice like that. And damn, Abby was THROWING 'em.

I never saw anything about it but I also was ignoring anything associated with game 2.

unccrombie 04-19-2016 08:52 AM

but srsly

fonzz41 04-19-2016 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16379133)
I never saw anything about it but I also was ignoring anything associated with game 2.

I was disappointed he didn't go with Boyle at the end of game 3, but after he explained why I get it.

Also, I still love Brian Boyle. One of my favorite NHL players.

unccrombie 04-19-2016 08:55 AM

why is TB/DET a 7pm start?
ideal 8pm EST placement with the game in DET
WTF NHL

barbogast 04-19-2016 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16379101)
Edit: would not at all be surprised to see some healthy scratches in the Caps lineup tomorrow.

This is absolutely not going to happen

Are you high?