Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

salrx95 04-07-2016 04:13 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16361541)
Not really sure I want to beat the Icelanders in the next game. Florida seems like a nicer first round over the Pens who have won seven straight and are looking pretty insane right now...

After winning Tuesday, surprisingly, I kind of said the same thing to myself but not out loud. I can't ever want to lose to the Rag$. I hope the Pens peaked too soon and except for last game, we have played the Pens pretty well recently and so I'm not afraid of them.

salrx95 04-07-2016 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16362001)
It's been a very entertaining lunchtime backread. :)

I do love this Pens team. I believe in Matt Murray, though I really hope Fleury comes back soon. And Malkin coming back can only be a good thing.

Fun bit of would've, could've, should've: If the Pens had beaten the Devils a couple of weeks ago, last night's win would've been their 18th in a row, which would've broken the 1993 team's record.

How did the 1993 playoffs go for you guys? I couldn't resist.

Funny you guys mentioned playoff beards since my wife just told me Monday , which was our anniversary, that she misses my beard. I grew one last winter and kept it for 6 months until I ditched it. I think I might bring it back (even if it lasts 1 week :ugh). Rocking the salt n peppa.

TMoore4075 04-07-2016 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16362694)
Simply not good enough.

On the other hand, if anyone thinks Steve Mason isn't good--you need to be punched in the face.

It should have been 4 or 5 to 0 in the second period if it wasn't for him. Saw the faceoff stats for the 2nd...Wings won 19 and the Flyers....6.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16362758)
What a fuckin game for Jimmy Howard.

If you would have told me 2 months ago, that he'd be the guy who need to lead them into the playoffs, and he would be doing it, I wouldn't have believed you. He's been great and I think they will be sticking with both of them for another year. It'll be expensive, although Mrazek struggling will help Wings in contract talks, but if they can get it under the cap then great cause. One will be gone a year from now cause of Vegas. Either they'll lose one because they have to expose him or maybe they get a team to bite by saying "Vegas can have this guy for free, you sure you don't wanna deal?"

Tonight is win in any fashion and you are in. I'll be anxious tonight. After losing 7-2 to the Pens, almost blowing it against the Sabres, not being able to close it out against the Habs...no way I expected to be in this position. Play like you did last night and you got this. That was their best game of the year and probably the best in months.

kev87lads 04-07-2016 06:29 AM

This is what I've been talking about for two months. They're so inconsistent. They don't wake up for certain games and it's maddening but at the same time you can see it coming from a mile away. Arguably it was their biggest game in almost two years and you come out with that effort. Don't get me wrong, Howard evidently played well. (I didn't see the full game). But you need to have a better effort than that.

Go Wings!

TMoore4075 04-07-2016 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16362937)
This is what I've been talking about for two months. They're so inconsistent. They don't wake up for certain games and it's maddening but at the same time you can see it coming from a mile away. Arguably it was their biggest game in almost two years and you come out with that effort. Don't get me wrong, Howard evidently played well. (I didn't see the full game). But you need to have a better effort than that.

Go Wings!

Hey look, we're on the same page again. I'd rather have the Flyers in than the Bruins so I'll be cheering for the Flyers tonight too.

Wings win in regulation and a Flyers ROW gets them in doesn't it cause they have the head to head against Boston?

Lcsulla 04-07-2016 06:57 AM

Damn is there going to be some fun hockey t o watch tonight!

Wings vs Bruins
Rangers vs Islanders
Pens vs Caps
Blues vs Hawks
Ducks vs Kings

Flyers, Stars and Sharks should win but I would not be surprised to see at least one upset against teams that have nothing to lose - aka Leafs, Avs and Jets

barbogast 04-07-2016 06:58 AM

Entire Russian U18 team was just suspended and replaced one day ahead of departing for World U18 Championship next week. Doping allegations. Coach too. Wow.

http://novacapsfans.com/2016/04/06/r...g-allegations/

hailtopitt 04-07-2016 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16362847)
I hope the Pens peaked too soon and except for last game, we have played the Pens pretty well recently and so I'm not afraid of them.

tough to see you over there past your incredibly puffed chest

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16362986)
Entire Russian U18 team was just suspended and replaced one day ahead of departing for World U18 Championship next week. Doping allegations. Coach too. Wow.

http://novacapsfans.com/2016/04/06/r...g-allegations/

:lol Russia

Lcsulla 04-07-2016 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16362943)
Wings win in regulation and a Flyers ROW gets them in doesn't it cause they have the head to head against Boston?

Yup, I believe you are correct but if the Flyers tank in the last 2 games and either Boston or Detroit win the head to head tiebreaker is not going to mean much because a potential tie breaker would likely go to goal differential would put one of them in over Phillie.

Sentimental part of me wants Detroit to get in, hell when they last missed the playoffs I was a freshman in high school and the Whalers were still in Hartford.

Edit: also, if the Wings get in they likely take on a banged up Tampa team in the first round and that would be a fun series to watch!

salrx95 04-07-2016 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16362998)
tough to see you over there past your incredibly puffed chest

:lol Russia

We were big underdogs a few years ago and performed well. Not happy with our G situation and need to get healthy but I can see us winning vs you. I wouldn't bet on it and you guys would and should be favored but I think we can hang.

kev87lads 04-07-2016 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16362943)
Hey look, we're on the same page again. I'd rather have the Flyers in than the Bruins so I'll be cheering for the Flyers tonight too.

No. Played odd number of games against Boston. So they throw out one of the games. So they're even in head to head. And they could still both finish with same number of points if they won their last game and we lost our last two.

So they could be ahead in ROW or if we tie in row (they win last game in shootout and we lose 2) they would beat us by third tie breaker of goal differential for the season.

But your scenario goes a long way to Flyers getting in.

Go Wings.

hailtopitt 04-07-2016 07:24 AM

it's the playoffs, most teams can "hang"

it's not about hanging in the playoffs though

TMoore4075 04-07-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16363007)
Yup, I believe you are correct but if the Flyers tank in the last 2 games and either Boston or Detroit win the head to head tiebreaker is not going to mean much because a potential tie breaker would likely go to goal differential would put one of them in over Phillie.

Sentimental part of me wants Detroit to get in, hell when they last missed the playoffs I was a freshman in high school and the Whalers were still in Hartford.

Edit: also, if the Wings get in they likely take on a banged up Tampa team in the first round and that would be a fun series to watch!

If the Wings play like they did last night (big if considering how inconsistent they've been all year) I can see them beating a TBL team with no Stamkos. I'd like a rematch and chance for revenge. They had that series by the balls in game 4 until Glendenning missed the last part of the game getting stitched up. Not that someone shouldn't have stepped up with him out but he was shutting down the Johnson line.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16363021)
No. Played odd number of games against Boston. So they throw out one of the games. So they're even in head to head. And they could still both finish with same number of points if they won their last game and we lost our last two.

So they could be ahead in ROW or if we tie in row (they win last game in shootout and we lose 2) they would beat us by third tie breaker of goal differential for the season.

Go Wings.

They throw out a game, seriously? How the fuck is that fair?

Lcsulla 04-07-2016 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16363021)

Go Wings.

Spot on explanation, nicely done. This is the foggiest playoff seeding picture I can recall in a long time - gotta actually do math to figure out who would be in for any given scenario. Flyers have to be careful tonight against the Leafs who have nothing to lose. If Toronto can pull off an upset and the Boston vs Detroit game goes to OT the picture becomes even cloudier!

kev87lads 04-07-2016 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16363054)

If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:

The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.

The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any ""odd"" games, shall be used to determine the standing.

The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season. NOTE: In standings a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.

Lcsulla 04-07-2016 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16363054)
If the Wings play like they did last night (big if considering how inconsistent they've been all year) I can see them beating a TBL team with no Stamkos. I'd like a rematch and chance for revenge. They had that series by the balls in game 4 until Glendenning missed the last part of the game getting stitched up. Not that someone shouldn't have stepped up with him out but he was shutting down the Johnson line.

I can see them beating TB as well - assuming they get in. Be a great series to watch.

Life is not fair - particularly in sports, didn't anyone ever tell you that? :lol

aeroshady 04-07-2016 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16363020)
We were big underdogs a few years ago and performed well. Not happy with our G situation and need to get healthy but I can see us winning vs you. I wouldn't bet on it and you guys would and should be favored but I think we can hang.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cDqADZygseM

I'll give you some G love to help with your G situation.

Alazais 04-07-2016 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16362454)
Girlfriend? Don't tell me you are settling down to one girl man!

Yeah. We've been living together for over a year now. Shit is crazy.

And cool - thanks for the advice. I appreciate the help a bit. I'm going to try not to stay super close to the airport. I hear there is nothing there.

TMoore4075 04-07-2016 08:51 AM

So anxious about tonight. They are so close and it's in their hands. I don't want them to HAVE to win on Saturday.

Lcsulla 04-07-2016 09:07 AM

Shame to see The Rexall Place host their last game yesterday. I know it is necessary because the place is tiny and pretty old but wow is their a lot of history in that building - all of the greats have laced in their skates up there, they have hosted 7 Cup finals, won 4 of them. had untold tournaments held there and even many concerts. Wish they'd renovate it like they did MSG.

Edit: At least Edmonton won their last game their in a convincing fashion!

~Crashintome89~ 04-07-2016 09:19 AM

Kev, I don't think their problem last night was waking up for the game. They certainly knew the importance of it and spoke about it prior to puck drop. Honestly, the Flyers are just exhausted. I mean people don't realize that they've pretty much been playing playoff hockey for a month now--top that off with the fact that their schedule has crammed games in the most unfortunate ways--and it's easy to see that this team has just simply run out of gas.

TMoore4075 04-07-2016 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16363207)
Kev, I don't think their problem last night was waking up for the game. They certainly knew the importance of it and spoke about it prior to puck drop. Honestly, the Flyers are just exhausted. I mean people don't realize that they've pretty much been playing playoff hockey for a month now--top that off with the fact that their schedule has crammed games in the most unfortunate ways--and it's easy to see that this team has just simply run out of gas.

This is true. And the Wings hadn't played since Saturday. Not that that always leads to the results you think, but it very could have last night.

Roose13 04-07-2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 16363147)
Yeah. We've been living together for over a year now. Shit is crazy.

And cool - thanks for the advice. I appreciate the help a bit. I'm going to try not to stay super close to the airport. I hear there is nothing there.

I miss your wild ass stories in the dating thread. Happy for ya bud.

Lcsulla 04-07-2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Yeah, playing that many games in such a short time span is rough and any team is bound to hit a bump in the road.

In other news TB just called up Drouin, kinda figured that was coming when Stamkos went down.

kev87lads 04-07-2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

Eh. While I hear you, and do agree to a point. Doesn't explain 3/3 shutout versus Oilers at home, losing focus against the Jackets in a must win a few weeks ago. The not being up enough for the Pens on 3/19 or 4/3. Those are games you have to win and at least compete in. Gassed or not, no compete in some of those.

I get that they have had some winning streaks and beaten good teams as well. I know they can't win every game. I know they have been on a tremendous pace since mid-February. I get that. And I know they aren't even supposed to make the playoffs this year and they're inconsistent. I think all of us Flyers fans knew and believed that.

But when you go on the run they have after adjusting all season to the new coach, you start to think they can/should make it. And then to watch some of these efforts. Just frustrating.

No idea what to expect from tonight's game. Will probably win some improbable shootout just to make it interesting and mess up the ROWs stat.

~Crashintome89~ 04-07-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16363358)
But when you go on the run they have after adjusting all season to the new coach, you start to think they can/should make it. And then to watch some of these efforts. Just frustrating.

Sure it's frustrating because they've done some great things since February, but let's remember--this team is not THAT good. They weren't even supposed to sniff the playoffs.

All in all, this season is a positive but missing the playoffs especially now is a blow. I'm excited for the next three seasons though.

kev87lads 04-07-2016 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16363405)
Sure it's frustrating because they've done some great things since February, but let's remember--this team is not THAT good. They weren't even supposed to sniff the playoffs.

All in all, this season is a positive but missing the playoffs especially now is a blow. I'm excited for the next three seasons though.

Totally agree. Just the as of late, being so close. Want to get in instead of being #9 and left out.

Dramageek 04-07-2016 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16362851)

Funny you guys mentioned playoff beards since my wife just told me Monday , which was our anniversary, that she misses my beard. I grew one last winter and kept it for 6 months until I ditched it. I think I might bring it back (even if it lasts 1 week :ugh). Rocking the salt n peppa.

Damn you! :lol But if I recall, the Montreal Canadiens won the Stanley Cup that year! And that Pens team was fat and happy after two straight Cups, and a little arrogant on top of that.

The Isles are a decent team for sure, but I wouldn't want to be facing the Pens, not with them scoring an average of 4.62 goals per game and Thomas Greiss in net.

Dramageek 04-07-2016 12:09 PM

Quote:

Damn you! :lol But if I recall, the Montreal Canadiens won the Stanley Cup that year! And that Pens team was fat and happy after two straight Cups, and a little arrogant on top of that.

The Isles are a decent team for sure, but I wouldn't want to be facing the Pens, not with them scoring an average of 4.62 goals per game and Thomas Greiss in net.

Dramageek 04-07-2016 12:10 PM

Quote: