Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

coldengrey12 03-01-2016 10:37 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16320167)
No question that's their biggest hole. But the deadline is no longer the time to make those deals. I mean, would they really settle for Russell, especially considering what Dallas ended up paying to get him? Hamhuis wasn't going to waive his NTC to go to Colorado (he wanted a legitimate contender), so who else was there?

The Avs will definitely be major players at the draft and on July 1 and in the market to get that defenseman they need. That is the better time to make those deals. And the Avs have so many good prospects, I'm even OK with them moving their 1st rounder to get one.

That being said, the Avs did a good job at the deadline of making this year's team better. Of the three pieces they moved to get Boedker, Kyle Wood was the biggest one (I've heard they soured on Bleakley, who apparently has an attitude problem), and he's still a mid-range prospect. Tanguay was the only actual roster player they moved, and there's no question Boedker is an improvement over him. It will be difficult to re-sign him with MacKinnon and Barrie needing to be re-signed, but we'll see.

I REALLY like the Gelinas deal. He'll help the PP, will add a little more stability to what is currently a pretty terrible bottom defensive pair, and has a lot of room to grow. If he reaches his full potential, the third rounder we paid to get him will be an absolute steal.

Absolutely. I like the Boedker deal, but I agree keeping him is gonna be complicated. Sakic did say he doesn't like to make deals rent-a-player style, so I'm guessing he has a longer-term plan for him.

Sad to see Tangs go, but he hasn't really done much. He's in the twilight of his career. It would've been nice to see him hang it up as a member of the Avs.

SirBobalew 03-01-2016 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16320233)
calm down

maybe if DC could handle a snow storm neither team would be in this situation

It had nothing to do with "handling" the snowstorm. We got 30 inches of snow. Buffalo and Montreal have travel delays with that accumulation, plus safety issues on the roads.

DC is terrible at handling snow, yes, but this was a situation that would have caused a postponement anywhere.

hailtopitt 03-01-2016 10:41 AM

:lol so easy to get Caps fans worked up

Bron Yr Aur 03-01-2016 10:43 AM

:lol :lol Caps fans complaining that their team has to play a few extra games in a short time span. Your team is 14 pts up on any other in the East, give it a rest.

barbogast 03-01-2016 10:53 AM

At the risk of sounding rattled...

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16320249)
:lol so easy to get Caps fans worked up

You were worked up about playing lots of games this week well before either myself or Bobalew responded to you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 16320253)
:lol :lol Caps fans complaining that their team has to play a few extra games in a short time span. Your team is 14 pts up on any other in the East, give it a rest.

Never once did I complain. Just responded to the complaining Pens fan.

fonzz41 03-01-2016 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 16320236)
Absolutely. I like the Boedker deal, but I agree keeping him is gonna be complicated. Sakic did say he doesn't like to make deals rent-a-player style, so I'm guessing he has a longer-term plan for him.

Sad to see Tangs go, but he hasn't really done much. He's in the twilight of his career. It would've been nice to see him hang it up as a member of the Avs.

Yeah. The Avs do have cap space to work with (at season's end, they'll be at around $7 million), and they've got some guys coming off the books. Of UFA's, I would hope they re-sign Skille (he should be pretty cheap - under $2 mil per), but I think they let Mathias, Bodnarchuk, and Redmond walk.

If Iginla chooses to retire, that's some big money off the books. But personally I think he won't. Would love to see him around for one more year.

MacKinnon, Barrie, Martinsen, and Grigorenko are all up for restricted free agency. Martinsen and Grigorenko will probably get manageable bridge deals (if they even decide to keep Grigs, I can see it going either way), but Mac and Barrie are up for some major bucks. Making that work with Boedker, who will probably want around $5 mil per, could be tricky.

EDIT: And yeah, it would've been cool for Tanguay to be able to retire an Av. Put in so many good years here and I was sad to see him moved here at the end. I think there's no question he retires after this season.

TMoore4075 03-01-2016 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16320299)
Yeah. The Avs do have cap space to work with (at season's end, they'll be at around $7 million), and they've got some guys coming off the books. Of UFA's, I would hope they re-sign Skille (he should be pretty cheap - under $2 mil per), but I think they let Mathias, Bodnarchuk, and Redmond walk.

If Iginla chooses to retire, that's some big money off the books. But personally I think he won't. Would love to see him around for one more year.

MacKinnon, Barrie, Martinsen, and Grigorenko are all up for restricted free agency. Martinsen and Grigorenko will probably get manageable bridge deals (if they even decide to keep Grigs, I can see it going either way), but Mac and Barrie are up for some major bucks. Making that work with Boedker, who will probably want around $5 mil per, could be tricky.

EDIT: And yeah, it would've been cool for Tanguay to be able to retire an Av. Put in so many good years here and I was sad to see him moved here at the end. I think there's no question he retires after this season.

Didn't Iggy sign his deal when he was over 35? I thought if he retires, the cap hit stays.

SirBobalew 03-01-2016 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 16320253)

Not complaining, just saying that Pens fans have no reason to complain.

dmbetc 03-01-2016 11:17 AM

Shows you how bad the Kings have been lately when Dustin Brown is the player of the month for February.

hailtopitt 03-01-2016 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16320289)
At the risk of sounding rattled...

You were worked up about playing lots of games this week well before either myself or Bobalew responded to you

Never once did I complain. Just responded to the complaining Pens fan.

i didn't realize this emoji :shrug meant "worked up"

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16320331)
Not complaining, just saying that Pens fans have no reason to complain.

:lol:lol

hailtopitt 03-01-2016 11:24 AM

can't imagine how rattled Caps fans are gonna be when the playoffs roll around and all of these expectations will need to be met

this is just a makeup game in March and it's bad already

TMoore4075 03-01-2016 11:26 AM

Odds are the Wings will make the playoffs for the 25th straight year. So I've got that going for me.

fonzz41 03-01-2016 11:33 AM

hailtopitt vs Caps fans... :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16320201)
yea but now the Pens have to play 6 games in 9 days because of it :shrug

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16320216)
So do the Caps. Life's tough.

Sorry, but this innocent bystander isn't seeing a ton of difference between these two statements. Move along :)

hailtopitt 03-01-2016 11:42 AM

what are you talking about, Matty? can't you see i'm really worked up by my :shrug emoji?

kev87lads 03-01-2016 11:47 AM

:lol at playoff teams fans getting worked up about x games in x days. enjoy the ride.

barbogast 03-01-2016 11:48 AM

Personally I'm excited to watch hockey 4 times over the next 5 nights. Still unclear as to when I was worked up about it.

hailtopitt 03-01-2016 11:55 AM

guys i'd love to keep talking about this but i THINK i just saw a snowflake fall outside

gonna have to cancel

kev87lads 03-01-2016 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16320409)
Personally I'm excited to watch hockey 4 times over the next 5 nights. Still unclear as to when I was worked up about it.

I know. It was more the banter and not a criticism of you personally. :ggoat

aeroshady 03-01-2016 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16320409)

You were getting worked up about how the Caps are going to be skating like this after having to play 4 times in 5 nights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lN0mZkYSMo

hailtopitt 03-01-2016 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16320429)
You were getting worked up about how the Caps are going to be skating like this after having to play 4 times in 5 nights.

:lol:lol poor guy

barbogast 03-01-2016 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16320421)
guys i'd love to keep talking about this but i THINK i just saw a snowflake fall outside

gonna have to cancel

I mean I fully agree with you on this one. DC trying to handle snow is a joke.

Also I don't live in DC so feel free to make that joke as many times as you want

Quote:

:lol I clearly remember that. Poor Steve.

hailtopitt 03-01-2016 12:18 PM

Matt Murray tonight for the Pens

fonzz41 03-01-2016 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16320328)
Didn't Iggy sign his deal when he was over 35? I thought if he retires, the cap hit stays.

You are right, my bad. How could I forget about that little nugget?

Lcsulla 03-01-2016 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16320227)
:lol That's why I've said that if Dallas somehow hangs on to the #1 spot, I'd be TOTALLY OK with the Avs staying in that last wild card spot. Would much rather face them in the first round. I don't think anyone in here would dispute that the Hawks are the odds-on favorites to come out of the West - I would go so far as to win the Cup.

Things can obviously change and you never know in the NHL playoffs. But if I had to make the SAFE bet right now, no doubt it's Chicago. As boring as that's becoming ;)

Completely agree. Would much rather face Dallas than a more complete team in the playoffs. The D of Dallas is decent but not all that great. Using Chicago as an example - you can shut down Benn, Seguin and Sharp by having guys like Keith, Seabrook, TVR, Hjarmallson and Rozsival by having them cling to their sweaters and cut down shooting and passing lanes. Then all you really have to fear is an injury, penalties and their second tier guys. Barring an injury or major collapse I would say Chicago is the odds on favorite in the western conference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16320345)
Shows you how bad the Kings have been lately when Dustin Brown is the player of the month for February.

Saw that, what on earth is going on with the Kings. They are a much better team than they are coming off as these days. It's like they know they have their playoff slot locked up and took the foot off the pedal.

dmbetc 03-01-2016 12:59 PM

Quote:

:lol:lol I never saw that before
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16320493)
Saw that, what on earth is going on with the Kings. They are a much better team than they are coming off as these days. It's like they know they have their playoff slot locked up and took the foot off the pedal.

It's the Kings. They can't give themselves breathing room. I'm not worried, they play their best pushed against the wall.

TMoore4075 03-01-2016 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16320473)
You are right, my bad. How could I forget about that little nugget?

Hope maybe?

Lcsulla 03-01-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16320520)
It's the Kings. They can't give themselves breathing room. I'm not worried, they play their best pushed against the wall.

Yankees do the same thing, drives me crazy! I know how you feel. That said, I have a funny feeling the road to the cup for LA is going require finding a way to beat Chicago in another action packed conference final.

SirBobalew 03-01-2016 03:42 PM

Just got to my pregame bar and Everyday is playing. First time I remember hearing Dave in here.

barbogast 03-01-2016 04:10 PM

Ugh is there anything worse than a hockey game called by Kenny Albert?

Anyone got any idea why Doc hardly ever calls anymore?

lockman21 03-01-2016 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16319992)
I love Dallas's odds to make the conference final, which will make that trade look even better for Calgary.

Wait...you love Dallas's odds to get by some combination of St. Louis, Chicago, Nashville and Colorado?

I'm not saying I'm betting against Dallas, but I'm certainly not "loving" anyone's odds to get past Chicago.