Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

lockman21 04-16-2015 08:14 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Datsyuk puts up 2 goals and Detroit wins game 1. Of course.

Tim, this is exactly why no one wants to hear your bitching.

AJF_41 04-16-2015 09:03 PM

woo!

physical game

parks3923 04-16-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15913049)

Wings got out shot 46-14. This win is solely because Mrazek played out of his mind. Our team needs to step it up in a big way for game 2, not just Datsyuk and Mrazek; although Glendening had a great game. Long series ahead.

TMoore4075 04-17-2015 03:05 AM

Quote:

It's one game and I know you know that. Wings won game 1 against Boston last year and how did that turn out. Think the Blues won the first two against your Hawks too if I'm not mistaken.
Quote:

Originally Posted by parks3923 (Post 15913097)
Wings got out shot 46-14. This win is solely because Mrazek played out of his mind. Our team needs to step it up in a big way for game 2, not just Datsyuk and Mrazek; although Glendening had a great game. Long series ahead.

And this. You can't get that badly outshot and expect to win a series.

unccrombie 04-17-2015 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJF_41 (Post 15913080)
woo!

physical game

wild game

TMoore4075 04-17-2015 05:07 AM

I'll add that I'm very happy with the win. Even being that badly outshout (although Fox Sports Detroit brought up a point they thought they were counting those right. One shot that was clearly going wide that Mrazek gloved they counted as a shot) they played pretty well. Comparing it to the game a few weeks ago against the Sens, where the Sens just dominated in every way possible, this didn't feel that way. There were a few times throughout the game that Tampa took it to them but I felt like Detroit dictated the pace a lot. Need to be better in game 2 though.

Also unless Mrazek implodes in game 2, this is his job. And that was just game 1. Gotta think he'll settle down a bit going forward.

unccrombie 04-17-2015 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15913162)
I'll add that I'm very happy with the win. Even being that badly outshout (although Fox Sports Detroit brought up a point they thought they were counting those right. One shot that was clearly going wide that Mrazek gloved they counted as a shot) they played pretty well. Comparing it to the game a few weeks ago against the Sens, where the Sens just dominated in every way possible, this didn't feel that way. There were a few times throughout the game that Tampa took it to them but I felt like Detroit dictated the pace a lot. Need to be better in game 2 though.

Also unless Mrazek implodes in game 2, this is his job. And that was just game 1. Gotta think he'll settle down a bit going forward.

agreed, Jimmy Howard doesn't see the net unless there's a major issue

TMoore4075 04-17-2015 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15913174)
agreed, Jimmy Howard doesn't see the net unless there's a major issue

Yeah. Even with a bad game (whatever #) Mrazek probably still goes the next game since Babs seems to give his guys a 2nd chance. It would have to be like 8 goals against for Jimmy to come in the next game. I really hope this doesn't fuck things up with Howie, cause I think he's still here next year unless he asks to be out. Mrazek is making next to nothing so might as well keep Howard around too and maybe look to trade him next year (if that comes up.) I love Jimmy and as I said he was an all-star before he got hurt but he's had a few struggles and even I was sitting there wondering if he was gonna let in a bad goal. I wasn't wondering that about Mrazek last night.

aeroshady 04-17-2015 06:28 AM

Last night was awesome. We went to a local bar that was filled with hockey fans. We reserved a room that had two big screen TVs in it and a bunch of lazy boys. Had the Rangers game on one TV with audio and the Wings Tampa game on the other. One the Rangers game ended we turned on the Wild/Blues game and put the audio to the Wings game on.

Typical game for the Rangers last night. At the end of the day, record may be #1, but the Rangers are always going to be a low scoring grinding team that falls back on amazing D and goaltending.

Wings also made my girlfriend happy last night. She may love Datsyuk as much as she loves me haha

Bron Yr Aur 04-17-2015 06:33 AM

Quote:

C'mon now. We all know that Tampa Bay dominated the game and it was probably one of the more one-sided performances of the entire season.

Fortunately for Detroit they have Datsyuk and Mrazek was great. But I don't think they want to try to repeat this performance.

The good thing for Detroit is that is they already stole one in Tampa and they will likely play far better at home.

Rebecca De Mornay 04-17-2015 06:41 AM

that's why advanced stats don't matter as much in the playoffs.
because you're playing the same goalie up to 7 straight times and if he's hot you're in trouble.
that kind of anamoly evens itself out over the course of an 82 game season but a goalie can totally steal a series or even a cup.

berman1125 04-17-2015 06:43 AM

hey guys! Here to chime in cause its the playoffs...i know how you all love that haha. I am an avid red wings fan and watch all season long, just dont post down here.

I just want to put my .02 in on the whole PK thing...I think the call was correctly made. ( I am a ref myself up to the highschool level) I would have given him the boot right away and he could have been given another game, but I don't think it was necessary. Getting hit on the wrist right there hurts like hell, zero padding in that spot. I think the fact that he came back out of the locker room after being undressed to cry and complain could have given him a game suspension... Obviously the leauge wants to have him back in for game 2 (ratings). Whats the better story? PK sits for game 2, or PK is out there and the Sens have their chance to even the score?

I knew the Hawks were going to turn it around, and would win that game. I would love to know what Q said in the locker room. 3 goal leads are never safe, and I think the Hawks might never look back. Looking for the rangers to do pretty much exactly what they did... they will go deep. Im excited for the Min/Stl series...I think it will be entertaining. Wasn't able to watch the Ducks last night, or the Caps and Calgary game...but those turned out as excepted. I always root for the caps but they just can't seem to get it done.

Now on to my Wings. So frustrated with this bunch of late..So up and down and currently on a down note :( Howard is a clown and I'm done defending him. After the Carolina win, I had zero doubt that mrazek would get the start in game 1 and thank god he did! Our defense needs to wake the fuck up, our offense needs to shoot the puck (ultimately comes down to defense though) and we really need to stop taking penalties. We did go 7 for 7 on the PK which is great, but that won't happen every game...give them 2 pp goals and thats a loss for the Wings. With a shot difference like that, we will not win another game in this series. Thank god for Luke Glendening? haha Big shorty (no way that should have gone in) and then a big shot block with 5 seconds left. Looking for Nyquist to have a big game 2 and I think Mrazek will be in goal until he lets up 5 in a game

Bron Yr Aur 04-17-2015 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15913283)
that's why advanced stats don't matter as much in the playoffs.
because you're playing the same goalie up to 7 straight times and if he's hot you're in trouble.
that kind of anamoly evens itself out over the course of an 82 game season but a goalie can totally steal a series or even a cup.

Yeah but there is no way to know whether Mrazek right now is going to continue to perform like this, or whether he was just lucky last night. Odds are that he doesn't keep this up.

lockman21 04-17-2015 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15913140)
It's one game and I know you know that. Wings won game 1 against Boston last year and how did that turn out. Think the Blues won the first two against your Hawks too if I'm not mistaken.

And this. You can't get that badly outshot and expect to win a series.

It's just classic Detroit.

They might go one to lose the series, obviously, but they've made the playoffs for like 100 years straight and always find a way to pull shit like this.

aeroshady 04-17-2015 07:36 AM

Penguins fans already melting on NHL.com and ESPN.com. Only one game in and it was 2-1 not 10-1.

Rebecca De Mornay 04-17-2015 07:38 AM

peguins fans are melting constantly.

TMoore4075 04-17-2015 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15913304)
Yeah but there is no way to know whether Mrazek right now is going to continue to perform like this, or whether he was just lucky last night. Odds are that he doesn't keep this up.

Not saying they win the series, but no reason to believe he won't keep it up. He's done it quite a bit recently. I mean even if he gives up 3 goals in a game where they give up 45 shots, that's still a good game by him. I mean by your logic Giggy wasn't gonna keep it up in 2003, Rollie in 2006 and Halak in 2010. Although he/they ran out of gas in the 3rd round.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15913350)
It's just classic Detroit.

They might go one to lose the series, obviously, but they've made the playoffs for like 100 years straight and always find a way to pull shit like this.

I said they were gonna lose the series in 6, so I said they'd win 2 games. They are still on pace for doing what I thought. Can't give me a "told you so" this early in a series. If they win the series, go right ahead.

jrkarger 04-17-2015 07:44 AM

Pens fans who are melting and actually thought they had a chance against NYR are delusional yinzer homers. I actually thought they played alright after the 1st period. Would have been nice if they hadn't committed four penalties in the first, though.

RiotAct 04-17-2015 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15913416)
I said they were gonna lose the series in 6, so I said they'd win 2 games. They are still on pace for doing what I thought. Can't give me a "told you so" this early in a series. If they win the series, go right ahead.

Actually, they're on pace to go 16-0 in the postseason right now ;)

TMoore4075 04-17-2015 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15913390)
Penguins fans already melting on NHL.com and ESPN.com. Only one game in and it was 2-1 not 10-1.

That start of the game, it looked like it was gonna be bad. MAF played well. Still based off that game, I'm not expecting much from them.

TMoore4075 04-17-2015 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotAct (Post 15913423)

Smart ass.

Bron Yr Aur 04-17-2015 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15913416)
Not saying they win the series, but no reason to believe he won't keep it up. He's done it quite a bit recently. I mean even if he gives up 3 goals in a game where they give up 45 shots, that's still a good game by him. I mean by your logic Giggy wasn't gonna keep it up in 2003, Rollie in 2006 and Halak in 2010. Although he/they ran out of gas in the 3rd round.

Just because goalies occasionally steal a series doesn't mean we should expect that it happens. If you predicted that every time a goalie stole a game you would probably be wrong like 90% of the time.

Yes, there is one big giant huge glaring reason to believe he won't keep it up: luck, random variation, variance, etc. etc. etc. It has been proven time and time again that "hot streaks" are only "hot streaks" until they're not. That is, there is no way to predict when a hot streak is going to continue, when it is going to end, etc. Better off just predicting average performance or career average performance!

Bron Yr Aur 04-17-2015 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotAct (Post 15913423)

I know this was made tongue in cheek, but.............

...if you flip a coin once and it lands tails, is it on pace to flip tails every time from now on??
:rolleyes

kev87lads 04-17-2015 08:11 AM

Berube fired. Not a surprise.

~Crashintome89~ 04-17-2015 08:11 AM

Craig Berube is fired.

bonzo48280 04-17-2015 08:18 AM

The NHL Thread

Bron should be next

TMoore4075 04-17-2015 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15913464)
Just because goalies occasionally steal a series doesn't mean we should expect that it happens. If you predicted that every time a goalie stole a game you would probably be wrong like 90% of the time.

Yes, there is one big giant huge glaring reason to believe he won't keep it up: luck, random variation, variance, etc. etc. etc. It has been proven time and time again that "hot streaks" are only "hot streaks" until they're not. That is, there is no way to predict when a hot streak is going to continue, when it is going to end, etc. Better off just predicting average performance or career average performance!

I'm not saying I expect him to steal the series. I said I expect him to still be great. Doesn't mean he wins. He could give up 3 goals on 45 shots and lose the next game too. Doesn't take away from his greatness.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 15913478)
Berube fired. Not a surprise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15913479)
Craig Berube is fired.

One day after they said they weren't sure? Not surprised though honestly.

Shanny talking to Sean Burke for TO.

Roose13 04-17-2015 08:19 AM

Bye Berube!!!!

fonzz41 04-17-2015 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berman1125 (Post 15913286)
I just want to put my .02 in on the whole PK thing...I think the call was correctly made. ( I am a ref myself up to the highschool level) I would have given him the boot right away and he could have been given another game, but I don't think it was necessary. Getting hit on the wrist right there hurts like hell, zero padding in that spot. I think the fact that he came back out of the locker room after being undressed to cry and complain could have given him a game suspension... Obviously the leauge wants to have him back in for game 2 (ratings). Whats the better story? PK sits for game 2, or PK is out there and the Sens have their chance to even the score?

Hey, a fellow ref! Welcome to the party.

salrx95 04-17-2015 08:46 AM

Brother just texted me that Holtby is sick and may not go tonight. That should be an advantage if it happens but you never know. Don't recall facing backup this year.