Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 12-04-2014 08:49 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15704052)
Well I certainly agree with this. We see it every year. And it's annoying. There are a lot of teams that are better at subtle interference plays than they are at actually playing hockey.

You are right, though, had it not been a high hit, nothing to talk about. But there was ample time to take the body, not lay a shoulder into Jagr's head.

The clutching and grabbing is very annoying, yes.

We're still on slightly different pages, but getting there! In terms of the Interference calls, I'm referring to what is being defined by the NHL in its explanation video as a "late" hit. Those "late" hits occur all the time. A player releases the puck and another opposing player is already on a trajectory to hit him, so he does. As long as it's within a second or so after the puck is released, it's considered legal because of simple physics.

Bortuzzo's was no different in that regard. His feet were planted (didn't leave them, wasn't striding), and was within a second or so of Jagr releasing the puck, so it's considered legal.

But yes, the major danger came from the highness of the hit. But with Jagr turning at the last instant to come up into the slot, I'm not convinced Bortuzzo had time to adjust. Again, not blaming Jagr. If Bortuzzo had gone in lower, it wouldn't have been as dangerous. But I'm also not convinced he was targeting. If anything, he was going in for a shoulder check, but hit Jagr's face instead when Jagr turned.

fonzz41 12-04-2014 09:08 AM

Looks like Marty is starting tonight. Tune in, kids.

lockman21 12-04-2014 10:57 AM

Is there ONE forward on the Blues that's even remotely likable? Good God is Backes a fucking joke. Steve Ott even more so. If it weren't for Pietrangelo, that team would have 0 people on it that could even qualify as likable skaters.

Nothing quite as awesome as seeing the wheels come off that team quickly.

Hawks notes:

The Versteeg - Richards - Kane line is the best thing the Hawks have seen in years since they skated the Sharp - Toews - Kane line in about 2011 (but then they had three lines of absolute nothingness outside Hossa). It's outperforming everyone in the offensive zone. Looks better than Saad - Toews - Hossa. I'm guessing we'll see Saad bumped down to third line duties when Sharpie comes back to try and give that top line a spark.

I know this is like a broken record, but Patrick Kane is the single most exciting offensive player in the NHL right now. When that guy is on his game, he is the full package and in the best way possible. He plays NHL hockey like it's street ball basketball. It's incredible to watch. That 2nd goal was a thing of beauty last night.

Crawford is an idiot.

fonzz41 12-04-2014 11:20 AM

I like David Backes.

dmbetc 12-04-2014 11:35 AM

Hey Roose, Do you know Flyers reporter Randy Miller? He's staying at the hotel. He's gonna come down and chat with me when I gave him shit cause I was a Kings fan. Said he has a lot of stories on Carter and how he's a terrible person. Should be an interesting convo!

fonzz41 12-04-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15704450)
Hey Roose, Do you know Flyers reports Randy Miller? He's staying at the hotel. He's gonna come down and chat with me when I gave him shit cause I was a Kings fan. Said he has a lot of stories on Carter and how he's a terrible person. Should be an interesting convo!

Get out the tape recorder! Have fun, pal.

dmbetc 12-04-2014 11:40 AM

He seems like he thinks he's cool as shit. I may drop that Brownie is my BFF.

dmbetc 12-04-2014 11:40 AM

Then tell him to hit the road.

barbogast 12-04-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15704388)
Is there ONE forward on the Blues that's even remotely likable?

Vladimir Tarasenko is like a wet dream.

dmbetc 12-04-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15704388)
Is there ONE forward on the Blues that's even remotely likable? Good God is Backes a fucking joke. Steve Ott even more so. If it weren't for Pietrangelo, that team would have 0 people on it that could even qualify as likable skaters.

Nothing quite as awesome as seeing the wheels come off that team quickly.

Hawks notes:

The Versteeg - Richards - Kane line is the best thing the Hawks have seen in years since they skated the Sharp - Toews - Kane line in about 2011 (but then they had three lines of absolute nothingness outside Hossa). It's outperforming everyone in the offensive zone. Looks better than Saad - Toews - Hossa. I'm guessing we'll see Saad bumped down to third line duties when Sharpie comes back to try and give that top line a spark.

I know this is like a broken record, but Patrick Kane is the single most exciting offensive player in the NHL right now. When that guy is on his game, he is the full package and in the best way possible. He plays NHL hockey like it's street ball basketball. It's incredible to watch. That 2nd goal was a thing of beauty last night.

Crawford is an idiot.

that Versteeg - Richards - Kane line was fun (and scary) to watch against the Kings the other night. Complete domination and the Kings had no answer. Even though it was a disaster of a game to watch as a Kings fan, I always enjoy watching the Hawks play.

Martinez signed for 6 more years. Sutter made a comment that he could've waited until the summer to see what other teams would offer him but you stay with a good team, that works. These signings the Kings are getting speak volumes of their team atmosphere.

bradshaw06 12-04-2014 01:23 PM

Oshie? Tarasenko?

Alazais 12-04-2014 01:26 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...153513294.html

Guy plays the Meow game during a post game interview.

lockman21 12-04-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15704431)
I like David Backes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 15704576)
Oshie? Tarasenko?

I'll give you Oshie. I like him a lot. Tarasenko is fun as hell to watch but the guy is a huge douche.

fonzz41 12-04-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15704605)

I don't get erect over him (like I do for 19!19!19!19!), but I like the guy.

barbogast 12-04-2014 03:36 PM

How did I miss Jean Beliveau passing? Damn, that's a crappy one. RIP to a legit legend.

~Crashintome89~ 12-04-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15704450)
Hey Roose, Do you know Flyers reporter Randy Miller? He's staying at the hotel. He's gonna come down and chat with me when I gave him shit cause I was a Kings fan. Said he has a lot of stories on Carter and how he's a terrible person. Should be an interesting convo!

Did this happen yet?

I can't believe I missed this. Randy Miller is an ass. He's also pretty terrible at his job. He reported two years ago that Sean Couturier was going to be traded for Ben Bishop, I think straight up. And when I called him out on it, he acted like a baby.

Tell him since he writes for a Jersey paper now, maybe he should stick to covering Jersey teams.

dmbetc 12-04-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15704741)
Did this happen yet?

I can't believe I missed this. Randy Miller is an ass. He's also pretty terrible at his job. He reported two years ago that Sean Couturier was going to be traded for Ben Bishop, I think straight up. And when I called him out on it, he acted like a baby.

Tell him since he writes for a Jersey paper now, maybe he should stick to covering Jersey teams.

Nope, he never came down. He mentioned that he was a Devils fan so no idea why he still writes for the Flyers. I read up on him after I talked to him. Wish I actually got to talk to him again.

dmbetc 12-04-2014 04:54 PM

I could tell he was an ass from the phone call "hi, give me a late check out, I'm a Platinum member and write for the Flyers. I was down covering them at Anaheim and I still have two more stories I need to write today" If I didn't have my work face on, I literally would've said "i don't give a shit, fatty"

TMoore4075 12-04-2014 05:03 PM

So Weiss can still play...thankfully.

pathetic 12-04-2014 07:44 PM

2 goals in the first 2:06 for the Bs. Bout time

rickyh24 12-04-2014 08:06 PM

Save some for the rest of the season.

pathetic 12-04-2014 08:12 PM

Damn Tuukka standing on his head

pathetic 12-04-2014 08:37 PM

Lol bruins

dmbetc 12-04-2014 09:24 PM

Big game for Brown tonight. Much needed goals to go with his great year thus far. Also great shutout by Jones. Second consecutive shutout.

Keep Quick as home goalie and Jones as road goalie. Kid knows how to win big on the road. It's so nice to have a legit back up goalie.

salrx95 12-05-2014 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15704506)
Vladimir Tarasenko is like a wet dream.

He sure is. I told my brother he should keep him in our fantasy hockey league. He didn't and outbid him at auction for his services. He is a stud.

Nice road win for islanders to complete the home and sweep of Ottawa to spoil Alredsson's night. Islanders are now alone at the top of the Metropolitan division. :D

Halak breaks Billy Smith's team record for consecutive wins with his 11th straight.

unccrombie 12-05-2014 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 15704984)
2 goals in the first 2:06 for the Bs. Bout time

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 15705024)
Save some for the rest of the season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 15705096)
Lol bruins

:lol :lol bruins

TMoore4075 12-05-2014 04:59 AM

Thanks to the Leafs, Sens and Bruins for losing in regulation. How does TBL keep winning?

kev87lads 12-05-2014 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15705398)
Thanks to the Leafs, Sens and Bruins for losing in regulation. How does TBL keep winning?

They have Yzerman. You of all people should know that.

Bron Yr Aur 12-05-2014 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15705398)

Turns out they might just be really good?

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/team...T&sortdir=DESC

TMoore4075 12-05-2014 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 15705458)
They have Yzerman. You of all people should know that.

Very true. Everything he touches turns to gold...get it?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15705543)
Turns out they might just be really good?

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/team...T&sortdir=DESC

I knew they were gonna be good but they have surpassed my expectations (so far).