Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

lockman21 07-07-2014 04:38 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

I know they COULDN'T do anything, I'm just saying they didn't do anything to their roster to improve, and I think the West is way beyond the East in terms of talent and depth teams anyway. I would put the B's behind about the top 5-6 West teams as it is, and all they did was lose Iginla.

lockman21 07-07-2014 04:39 PM

Also I like to take flyers on some teams with potential. The Avs surprised last year, there are always those teams. I like the Jets to be that team in the West, maybe the Preds, next year. I like the Panthers or the Islanders to be that team in the East.

salrx95 07-07-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15466346)
R

East:

Jackets and Rangers out, Caps and Islanders in.

:hug:hug

You just made my day.

That would be an amazing season and a step in the right direction heading into Brooklyn.

Henrik is too good for that to happen unless he gets hurt and they have a serious Stanley Cup hangover.

As for us, I would hope we can snag the 7th or 8th seed. If Halak can maintain a similar goal percentage, I think we have a chance with a healthy JT all year. Saw a stat the other day that the Islanders were 16th in shots against yet 30th in save % which indicates to me it was more the goaltending the our mediocre D core. If we can trade a forward for a quality D who can play a solid 20 minutes a night, I think we can get there.

~Crashintome89~ 07-07-2014 06:11 PM

Samuel Morin put on twenty pounds this year. Oh God. This guy is going to be one big boy.

TMoore4075 07-08-2014 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15466742)
Also I like to take flyers on some teams with potential. The Avs surprised last year, there are always those teams. I like the Jets to be that team in the West, maybe the Preds, next year. I like the Panthers or the Islanders to be that team in the East.

The Metro Divisoin will be interesting. Flyers and Rangers couldn't do a lot in terms of improving and not like they were high up in the standings. Gotta assume the Isles and Caps will be better and the Devils maybe too. Panthers should be better but I think the top 4 is set in the Atlantic. Of course cause of the wild card, doesn't mean those 4 make the playoffs. While the Avs might not do what they did last year, I think they still make the playoffs. The Jets don't do anything ever so....

kev87lads 07-08-2014 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15466268)
I saw this somewhere else and I thought it'd be an interesting offseason topic since a bunch of the smoke has cleared...

First, who do you think that made the playoffs last year won't make them this year? And who will take their place?

second, who are your three Stanley Cup favorites going in to the season?

I'll just take two from each conference.

East:

Out: Flyers - I just don't see enough to "maintain" (lack of better word) a spot in the bottom 4 of the playoff teams. They didn't really improve as we know. Hopefully they give some young defensemen a chance to play in trial by fire situations and see what they have. Canadiens. They're just due for a down year. They exhausted themselves last season and I just see a step back.

In: Capitals. Senators.

West:

Out: San Jose - Finally their year to just not be very good. Has to happen at some point. Minnesota - Simply for a lack of a better pick. I think the other 7, including Minny are really good and have a legit shot at getting back in. So Minny just for the sake of picking someone.

In: Arizona. (Yeah, I just wanted to say AZ... And I think they're pretty good.) Nashville.

Top 3 Cup Contenders: Kings, Blackhawks, Stars. So... Good news for the East!

barbogast 07-08-2014 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15466268)
I saw this somewhere else and I thought it'd be an interesting offseason topic since a bunch of the smoke has cleared...

First, who do you think that made the playoffs last year won't make them this year? And who will take their place?

second, who are your three Stanley Cup favorites going in to the season?

In the East:

Flyers and Blue Jackets out, Capitals and Islanders in

In the West:

Honestly can easily see the same 8 teams go in. I'm a bit cautious about Colorado and San Jose, but I don't realistically see any significant improvement amongst the 6 teams that didn't make it. At least not enough to over take anyone. Maybe Nashville. But probably not.

Cup favorites are LA, Chicago and since you said pick three I'll say Tampa Bay

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15466480)
Washington (damn it hurt to type that) in.

Don't be a hater

TMoore4075 07-08-2014 07:35 AM

No way are the Sens in Kev. They got worse, while Boston stays the same, Detroit if healthy is better, Montreal is about the same and Tampa is better. That's not even including the better teams in the metro-sexual division.

Rebecca De Mornay 07-08-2014 08:13 AM

What's with all the jackets hate guys? I think they'll be first or second in the metro

TMoore4075 07-08-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15467968)
What's with all the jackets hate guys? I think they'll be first or second in the metro

Other than the Pens making it, I think the rest of the Metro is wide open.

edit: I'm not picking them one way or another, but without #19....in trouble.

Rebecca De Mornay 07-08-2014 08:15 AM

:lol there's no chance they don't have #19

Rebecca De Mornay 07-08-2014 08:17 AM

also i could see the pens turning into a complete tire fire this year, i am not counting them as a lock like they have been in past years.

favorite? maybe but it's not like it was going into last year.

TMoore4075 07-08-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15467976)
:lol there's no chance they don't have #19

October 9th you 100% sure he's in the lineup? At this point I dunno. Not close on term or dollars. I know it's only July 8th, but these things can drag on.

Rebecca De Mornay 07-08-2014 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15467990)
October 9th you 100% sure he's in the lineup? At this point I dunno. Not close on term or dollars. I know it's only July 8th, but these things can drag on.

I am 100% sure he's in the lineup october 9th.

the narrative of how far apart the two sides are is being overdone because it's the only negotiating leverage he has.

I bet he signs a 2 or 3 year deal for 5.5-6.5per by the end of July.

Rebecca De Mornay 07-08-2014 08:31 AM

if JD wasn't part of this organization I wouldn't be so sure but he knows what he's doing.

TMoore4075 07-08-2014 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15468033)
I am 100% sure he's in the lineup october 9th.

the narrative of how far apart the two sides are is being overdone because it's the only negotiating leverage he has.

I bet he signs a 2 or 3 year deal for 5.5-6.5per by the end of July.

I would be surprised if it's only 2 years. I bet Jackets want 2-3 and RJ wants 5-6 and I bet it ends up 3-4. He's not gonna get 8, even if he wants it and on the open market he gets..well 7 but ya know. Actually if Homer was the GM in Philly still i bet he would already have put out an offer sheet to RJ for 7 years and 8mil per.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15468036)
if JD wasn't part of this organization I wouldn't be so sure but he knows what he's doing.

I'm sure he does. I mean, look at that stache.

TMoore4075 07-08-2014 08:38 AM

Matty: @NHLhistorygirl
In 2000, a #RedWings-#Bruins deal reportedly fizzled out when the Wings refused to give up Jiri Fischer for Ray Bourque.

Not a surprise actually. Had to know Wings were in on him at the time too. Glad they didn't give up Fish. Helped them win that Cup in 2002 and giving him for Ray doesn't guarantee them the Cup in either 2000 or 2001, so I take history has it unfolded.

Rebecca De Mornay 07-08-2014 08:40 AM

#dontmesswiththestache

TMoore4075 07-08-2014 11:02 AM

http://msn.foxsports.com/detroit/sto...-target-070814

This is the first time a "source" has been mentioned in anything. Most of it has been speculation or innuendo by the beat writers. Not sure what it takes to get him though. While he is the odd man out in Washington, the potential is still there because we know what he can do and a lot of teams are looking for a right-handed dman who can move the puck. I'll take him for a one-year tryout if it doesn't cost too much.

kev87lads 07-08-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15467857)
No way are the Sens in Kev. They got worse, while Boston stays the same, Detroit if healthy is better, Montreal is about the same and Tampa is better. That's not even including the better teams in the metro-sexual division.

Eh. It is my most "wild card" pick, yes. But they weren't far off lat year and I really do think MTL takes a step back. Obv. for this to go right I need someone to pick up some of the Spezza slack. But I think they're one of those balanced bottom 4 conference playoff team's that'll find a way to get it done.

Det made it and I think they will again.

Mentioned MTL already.

Tampa - see Det.

Metro - Flyers take step back. Isles, Canes, Devils just don't have enough. Isles would be close though and actually are the team I thought of first before I went with OTT.

~Crashintome89~ 07-08-2014 11:35 AM

kev87lads is officially banned from this thread.

JRS1386 07-08-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15468641)
kev87lads is officially banned from this thread.

I can get behind this

barbogast 07-08-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15467968)

It's not Jackets hate, I very much enjoy Columbus. And the division is certainly wide open and hard to predict this year. But Columbus barely made it last year and I don't really see where they got better so far this offseason, while other teams around them did. I could honestly see them finishing as low as 6th place in the division. I do share your sentiment regarding Johansen though, I feel pike they'll get that done before the month is over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15468558)
http://msn.foxsports.com/detroit/sto...-target-070814

This is the first time a "source" has been mentioned in anything. Most of it has been speculation or innuendo by the beat writers. Not sure what it takes to get him though. While he is the odd man out in Washington, the potential is still there because we know what he can do and a lot of teams are looking for a right-handed dman who can move the puck. I'll take him for a one-year tryout if it doesn't cost too much.

Laughed a little at the "outstanding skater" line. Not quite. The Caps have said the whole time they do not plan to move him, but I do think there's some bluffing there. It makes a lot of sense to move him. Like, a ridiculous amount of sense. Besides the obvious need for forwards and cap stuff, MG seems to have worn his welcome out in Washington. I get the vibe from the fanbase that trading him would be a generally well received move, and I think a change of scenery could do him a world of good. I do maintain Mike Green is a very good hockey player and an underrated defenseman, but it's my opinion it's best for both parties to move on.

Rebecca De Mornay 07-08-2014 12:12 PM

I think the Jackets got better just by getting a year older.

Losing MacKenzie will hurt more than most think though.

barbogast 07-08-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15468756)
I think the Jackets got better just by getting a year older.

Losing MacKenzie will hurt more than most think though.

I agree. Is that enough though? You could say the same about a young team like the Islanders, plus they added a solid goalie and some good depth forwards. And I think (homerism aside) the Caps will be an improved team next year, quite a bit improved actually. Like I said I like Cbus, just not sure I like em to make the playoffs again

TMoore4075 07-08-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15468733)

Laughed a little at the "outstanding skater" line. Not quite. The Caps have said the whole time they do not plan to move him, but I do think there's some bluffing there. It makes a lot of sense to move him. Like, a ridiculous amount of sense. Besides the obvious need for forwards and cap stuff, MG seems to have worn his welcome out in Washington. I get the vibe from the fanbase that trading him would be a generally well received move, and I think a change of scenery could do him a world of good. I do maintain Mike Green is a very good hockey player and an underrated defenseman, but it's my opinion it's best for both parties to move on.

They have to be bluffing. They have 8 D signed for next year. That just doesn't happen anymore in a cap world. Trading him gets you $6mil off the books and a roster spot. He's what so many teams want and need right now, it would be dumb to not move him before the season.

TMoore4075 07-08-2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15468798)
I agree. Is that enough though? You could say the same about a young team like the Islanders, plus they added a solid goalie and some good depth forwards. And I think (homerism aside) the Caps will be an improved team next year, quite a bit improved actually. Like I said I like Cbus, just not sure I like em to make the playoffs again

Only 8 points separating 2 and 6 in that division. Will be interesting with teams like the Isles and Caps adding pieces. Not saying Jackets miss, cause I'm not ready to even make a prediction there, but when they were only 5 points ahead of the 6th place team last year they could easily miss, but that can be said for the Rangers too, it's not just the Jackets in danger in that division.

barbogast 07-08-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15468825)
Only 8 points separating 2 and 6 in that division. Will be interesting with teams like the Isles and Caps adding pieces. Not saying Jackets miss, cause I'm not ready to even make a prediction there, but when they were only 5 points ahead of the 6th place team last year they could easily miss, but that can be said for the Rangers too, it's not just the Jackets in danger in that division.

Oh absolutely. The Flyers, Rangers and Jackets could all miss, or they could all make it. I do think the Caps will find a way in. The Islanders I'm less certain of. It's an incredibly hard division to predict this season. Should be fun.

Rebecca De Mornay 07-08-2014 01:07 PM

it will def be a fun season in the metro.

last year everyone except the pens got off to horrible starts. im not sure anyone can recover from that this year.

bradshaw06 07-08-2014 01:12 PM

i can see the caps getting in. jackets now have a secret weapon in gibbons, so theres that. flyers may be the team that ends up missing out, or possibly the pens with all the new pieces.