Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

UCFish 06-05-2014 08:52 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15382556)
CBC guys said that was the 23rd time in these playoffs, a two goal lead has been squandered.

I know Hawks did it 5 times....pretty sure the first 5 games in Blue Jackets and Penguins blew it as well.

Roose13 06-05-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15382401)
Wings..done.

I told her she should just become a Wings fan actually :lol She does know they've been to the playoffs for 20 straight years or so.

LAA1305 06-05-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15382094)
:lol come on man. this series isn't even close to over until NYR lose a game at MSG. Win in G2 would be enormous for them but I wouldn't even say it's a must win. Look at the way a lot of these series have gone this year.

Yeah, unless of course the home team wins every game considering the Kings have home-ice advantage :lol

Fact is, Rangers need to win at least one game on the road -- Kings don't. And the Rangers had a hell of an opportunity to get that win out of the way early last night and blew it. So asking whether or not the Rangers blew their chance already is a legitimate question. Not because it'll be a 4-0 or 4-1 series, but because the Rangers need that one road win and they were set up perfectly to get it last night.

aeroshady 06-05-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAA1305 (Post 15382739)
Yeah, unless of course the home team wins every game considering the Kings have home-ice advantage :lol

Fact is, Rangers need to win at least one game on the road -- Kings don't. And the Rangers had a hell of an opportunity to get that win out of the way early last night and blew it. So asking whether or not the Rangers blew their chance already is a legitimate question. Not because it'll be a 4-0 or 4-1 series, but because the Rangers need that one road win and they were set up perfectly to get it last night.

It really all depends on how much of an indicator last night was. If the full 60 minutes (and OT) was what this series will be like, it stands to reason that it will be a long series that could go either way. If the the third period was LA just taking over and that's how it will be from here on out....well I would expect this series to be over pretty fast.

I and the NHL are hoping the former is the case. A short series would hurt what the NHL wants to get out of it, and for me as a Rangers fan would really make it hard to enjoy the success of this season.

All that said, I am not as upset as I was last night. Only one game....I'll save my panic for the second game if we don't win it. If we do, I think NY has a great chance to win the series still.

LAA1305 06-05-2014 11:18 AM

Even if the Kings win Game 2, it's far from over. With a goalie like Lundqvist, it doesn't matter if the Rangers are down even 3-0 and being completely outplayed. If he completely shuts the Kings down for a few games, something he's more than capable of doing, NY will be right back in it.

Just look at the third period last night -- it was the most dominant third period in the modern Stanley Cup era, but the score for the period was 0-0. Rangers were one bounce away from stealing that game, despite the lopsided play. It can be like that all series for the Rangers and, if Lundqvist is up for the challenge, it won't matter. Goalies like Lundqvist and Quick thrive on facing a lot of shots and staying in the rhythm of the game, so the barrage of Kings' shots in the 3rd period is somewhat irrelevant, considering none went in. I know that means they were controlling the action, but like I said, all it would have taken is the Rangers making that late odd-man rush count and that 20-3 shot advantage means absolutely nothing.

It's going to come down to whether or not Lundqvist can singlehandedly steal a game or two for the Rangers. If not, I'd say Kings in 6.

daveshookme 06-05-2014 11:22 AM

Two great goalies always makes for a phenomenal matchup solely because it forces the offenses to be on their game for all 60 minutes and win every race to the battle precisely BECAUSE any odd bounce can be the deciding factor. So excited for the rest of the series, it's exactly what the nhl wanted.

~Crashintome89~ 06-05-2014 11:32 AM

Man, not even 24 hours after Game 1 and already have our first melt.

dmbetc 06-05-2014 11:36 AM

When it got to be 2-0 last night I looked at my friend and said "2-0, right where the Kings want them." It's amazing what this team does from behind (twss). No way this series ends early either. With the way these playoffs have been it'll be an either 6 or 7 game series. Had a good look at what Quick and Lundqvist will be doing this series.

dmbetc 06-05-2014 11:36 AM

Also, we need some love and appreciation for Doughty's goal last night. :hump

http://cdn.fansided.com/gif/Drew_Doughty.gif

UCFish 06-05-2014 11:45 AM

Just an amazing goal.

Alazais 06-05-2014 12:11 PM

First melt?

aeroshady 06-05-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 15383346)
First melt?

Maybe Phish played split open and melt for the first time this summer?

fonzz41 06-05-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15383179)
When it got to be 2-0 last night I looked at my friend and said "2-0, right where the Kings want them." It's amazing what this team does from behind (twss). No way this series ends early either. With the way these playoffs have been it'll be an either 6 or 7 game series. Had a good look at what Quick and Lundqvist will be doing this series.

:lol :thumbsup
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15383181)
Also, we need some love and appreciation for Doughty's goal last night. :hump

http://cdn.fansided.com/gif/Drew_Doughty.gif

I conceived all over the place when this happened.

salrx95 06-05-2014 01:44 PM

So the Islanders are keeping busy, acquiring Boyle from SJ for a 5th rounder that becomes a 4th if he signs with us. I wanted a veteran D acquired and sort of okay if this is the one we make. HE will make a good leader for our young D and would team with Lubo for give us a lethal PP point. I'm a little worried about his age and play in his own end, though admittedly I do not watch a lot of SJ hockey.

Maybe someone could tell me how much he might have left in the tank. Like the Halak trade, I will be excited about it if Snow signs him.

http://islanderspointblank.com/

~Crashintome89~ 06-05-2014 02:16 PM

Pretty dumb to give up a fifth rounder, when there is a small chance Boyle even signs with the Islanders.

fonzz41 06-05-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15383627)
So the Islanders are keeping busy, acquiring Boyle from SJ for a 5th rounder that becomes a 4th if he signs with us. I wanted a veteran D acquired and sort of okay if this is the one we make. HE will make a good leader for our young D and would team with Lubo for give us a lethal PP point. I'm a little worried about his age and play in his own end, though admittedly I do not watch a lot of SJ hockey.

Maybe someone could tell me how much he might have left in the tank. Like the Halak trade, I will be excited about it if Snow signs him.

http://islanderspointblank.com/

Dammit. I kinda wanted the Avs to go for him. Would like him on our second pairing. Still a chance I guess, but he would also be good for a young team like the Isles (same reason I want him for the Avs).

salrx95 06-05-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15383730)
Pretty dumb to give up a fifth rounder, when there is a small chance Boyle even signs with the Islanders.

Probably a smaller chance that a 5th rounder makes the NHL.

fonzz41 06-06-2014 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15383826)
Probably a smaller chance that a 5th rounder makes the NHL.

And it worked with Halak.

The fact is, after about the top 10-15 picks, the likelihood of any given player drafted at any given spot actually playing in the NHL drops significantly. If the Isles really want Boyle - and I think his experience could really help their young team - a 5th rounder is a miniscule price to pay. Even if he goes to another team (ahem, Avs!), it's not like they just mortgaged the whole franchise on the hopes of signing him.

~Crashintome89~ 06-06-2014 07:15 AM

Jim Rutherford is your new Pens GM. Too bad it's not Pierre. I was really rooting for him.

fonzz41 06-06-2014 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15385196)
Jim Rutherford is your new Pens GM. Too bad it's not Pierre. I was really rooting for him.

This is interesting... maybe they are hoping that with more resources and in a better hockey market Rutherford can build a better team? Rutherford's not a BAD GM, but I didn't imagine this.

I was hoping Maguire would get the job just saw I wouldn't have to watch him anymore.

fonzz41 06-06-2014 08:24 AM

https://twitter.com/mhenderson95/sta...054016/photo/1

Who do you got?

Mine:
LW: Hull (4)
RW: Jagr (3)
C: Toews (1)
D: Orr (5)
D: Bourque (4)
G: Brodeur (3)

UCFish 06-06-2014 08:29 AM

Hull 4
Jagr 3
Gretzky 5
Lidstrom 5
Chelios 1
Hasek 2

DynastyDrummer1 06-06-2014 08:41 AM

Ovechkin (3) - Gretzky (5) - Jagr (3)
Lidstrom (5) - Neidermayer (2)
Hasek (2)

gocubsgo3822 06-06-2014 08:43 AM

Gretzky 5
Hull Bobby 4
jagr 3
Lidstrom 5
Chara 1
Hasek 2

daveshookme 06-06-2014 08:50 AM

Gretzky
Shanahan
Roy
Chara
Neidermayer
Jagr

salrx95 06-06-2014 10:01 AM

Bylsma fired. That didn't take long.

cpxc. 06-06-2014 10:03 AM

GM been a GM for 3 minutes and already making moves

salrx95 06-06-2014 10:05 AM

Mario - 4
Bossy - 2
Shanahan - 2
Orr - 5
Potvin - 3
Dryden -4

Bossy is a steal at 2 bucks.

Dramageek 06-06-2014 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpxc. (Post 15385875)
GM been a GM for 3 minutes and already making moves

GM hired. He be firing. Well, who takes Disco's place then. Pens conspiracy theorists are already spinning that all these moves are a holding pattern to being in Babcock next year :lol :lol

TMoore4075 06-06-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15385263)
This is interesting... maybe they are hoping that with more resources and in a better hockey market Rutherford can build a better team? Rutherford's not a BAD GM, but I didn't imagine this.

I was hoping Maguire would get the job just saw I wouldn't have to watch him anymore.

I wanted Maguire so he would be off the air. JR is a good GM, did some pretty good work for the Canes. He's gonna need to be creative if they are keeping all the larger contracts.
Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15385868)
Bylsma fired. That didn't take long.

Wow.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 15385890)
GM hired. He be firing. Well, who takes Disco's place then. Pens conspiracy theorists are already spinning that all these moves are a holding pattern to being in Babcock next year :lol :lol

The columnist Madden? Read his paranoid crap a couple weeks ago. His theory was fucking nuts. Someone they'd get Martin to take a one year deal (yeah right) or somehow Babcock would know they wanted him (can't contact if he's under contract) and he'd ask Detroit to release him. I'm very happy Disco was fired because now that's one less place Babs would want to go to next year.