Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

~Crashintome89~ 04-15-2014 09:18 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 15259329)
You shut your mouth you softball legend!

I don't just bitch to bitch. I bitch at deals that exceed 4-5 years. Don't care about the age. There's too much that can happen to a player, mentally, physically, whatever and can hurt your cap. The Flyers know about this all to well.

Yeah, but MacDonald's contract isn't 33+, which means if he has a catastrophic injury he can retire and the Flyers don't have to worry about it.

So suck it.

bradshaw06 04-15-2014 09:18 AM

Macdonald has been pretty good since coming to phila.

I hope Orpik is not resigned. But i think i will disappointed there.

hailtopitt 04-15-2014 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 15259343)
Macdonald has been pretty good since coming to phila.

I hope Orpik is not resigned. But i think i will disappointed there.

unless he takes a paycut

fonzz41 04-15-2014 09:41 AM

Like I said, good for MacDonald getting paid. Usually a d-man at his stage is making a little less, but I'm all about hard-working, selfless guys like him getting noticed and appreciated.

But I will say this: every other FA d-man is now dreaming of dollar signs going into the summer!

bonzo48280 04-15-2014 09:46 AM

Guys.....my Q meter is....g-g-gonna....explode....

Morin is wearing a white jersey (5th line) with Peter Regin....Kane is on the third line....Versteeg is on the first...and Handzus and Bollig are skating, at all. Maybe after they lose game one they'll make some changes

lockman21 04-15-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 15259452)

Morin is wearing a white jersey (5th line) with Peter Regin....Kane is on the third line....Versteeg is on the first...and Handzus and Bollig are skating, at all. Maybe after they lose game one they'll make some changes

A lot of the practice lines pre-playoffs are just to not show your hand. A lot can change by Thursday.

Also, everyone, turn on NHL Network. Hawks/Flyers game 6 is on.

lockman21 04-15-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 15259452)

That said...I think we're seeing who is going to skate. I thought it was a long shot for Morin to play. Really a shame, but I don't know who he replaces. Bollig is going to play, it's basically Handzus, and Q then has to decide who he would put at that 2C position. Who would that be?

~Crashintome89~ 04-15-2014 10:09 AM

The Ghost has arrived.

Flyers Rule, Rangers drool.

TMoore4075 04-15-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15259522)
Also, everyone, turn on NHL Network. Hawks/Flyers game 6 is on.

The worst Stanley Cup winning call ever, by every network that had it. Not their fault by any means but that's what I always look forward to. Guessing the broadcasters do too and were probably pissed that they were like "uhhhhh."

bonzo48280 04-15-2014 10:38 AM

I would have no problem with Ben Smith centering Hossa and Sharp.

hailtopitt 04-15-2014 10:39 AM

pens skated with a top powerplay of

Crosby
Neal
Kunitz
Malkin--point
Letang

i'd like to see Martin instead, but i guess the right handed shot makes Letang the option

i'd even be in favor or taking of Neal or Kunitz in place of Martin

bonzo48280 04-15-2014 10:44 AM

I played as the Pens last night and recognized about 4 players below the top line.

hailtopitt 04-15-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 15259670)
I played as the Pens last night and recognized about 4 players below the top line.

sounds about right

Bron Yr Aur 04-15-2014 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15259547)
That said...I think we're seeing who is going to skate. I thought it was a long shot for Morin to play. Really a shame, but I don't know who he replaces. Bollig is going to play, it's basically Handzus, and Q then has to decide who he would put at that 2C position. Who would that be?

Fact is, Bollig HAS to play against the Blues, at least in the first couple games (and Q seems to love Bollig so he will probably play in every game). It's obvious that STL will come out swinging. IMO their first goal will be to establish the physical game in that first period, scoring will just be a byproduct of that if they can neutralize Toews & Kane who may not be up to game speed.

That said, Handzus is terrible and needs to be out of the lineup. If Hawks go down a couple games I think we could see Morin.

bonzo48280 04-15-2014 11:23 AM

It's amazing the Hawks got through LA and Boston last year without Bollig.

Bron Yr Aur 04-15-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 15259800)
It's amazing the Hawks got through LA and Boston last year without Bollig.

Completely different situation. Hawks didn't have injured Toews & Kane returning to the lineup and neither of those two teams hit like the Blues do, not even close.

Blues will be out to make a statement after losing their last 6 games. Toews & Kane (the latter in particular) not being 100% gives them some incentive to begin the series with an extra focus on finishing their hits and living on the edge physically.

HallowBillies7 04-15-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15259809)
Completely different situation. Hawks didn't have injured Toews & Kane returning to the lineup and neither of those two teams hit like the Blues do, not even close.

Blues will be out to make a statement after losing their last 6 games. Toews & Kane (the latter in particular) not being 100% gives them some incentive to begin the series with an extra focus on finishing their hits and living on the edge physically.

You don't think the Bruins hit like the Blues do? I went to the game earlier this year against the Blues and I thought it was quite the physical matchup.

fonzz41 04-15-2014 11:36 AM

More demonstration of Ovechkin's fabulous attitude :rolleyes:

Quote:

Ovechkin, Washington's captain, led the NHL with 51 goals but also had a minus-35 rating, among the league's worst, and Oates said that's an aspect of the three-time MVP's game that needs to improve.

"I talked to him and it's one of the things that we have to address for sure," the coach said. "It's obviously counterproductive."

Said Ovechkin: "I get paid to score goals. I scored 50."

He also acknowledged "that kind of minus" is not good, while pointing out that he's not the only player with a negative rating on the Capitals.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10...middle-nowhere

bonzo48280 04-15-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15259809)

then why is Bollig not skating on their line? The whole Bollig "presence" argument is the worst and dumbest argument to justify Bollig. He was on the ice with Hossa when Torres attempted murder on him.

I could get behind the whole "creates energy" "plays physical" argument, but Morin creates energy and plays physical too and he does it in a more beneficial way...by scoring goals.

bonzo48280 04-15-2014 11:43 AM

Ovechkin is the best

barbogast 04-15-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15259829)

The guy makes it so hard to be a fan

I'm so tired of hearing him say "it's my job to score goals. I did that". Actually, Alex, when you first got here I was told you were gonna score goals AND bring championships.

You hit the nail on the head earlier, at least I think it was you, when you said he'll thrive on a team where leadership isn't required from him. He's gotta be the worst captain currently in the NHL.

~Crashintome89~ 04-15-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15259829)

I saw this yesterday and wanted to scream. Thank God I will never ever be a Caps fan cause I don't know how they're taking all of this. Ovechkin just needs to shut the hell up, man up, and take responsibility for his team. Yeah, he's right that's it's not all about one guy--it never is. Every single player on that roster is responsible, from the guy who plays 82 games, to the healthy scratches. But there are different degrees of accountability, and as the captain, plus the leading scorer, you need to man the hell up.

EDIT: I know I'm preaching to the choir, I just hate this shit. Same thing happened with Mike Richards while he was here. It was annoying.

UCFish 04-15-2014 11:53 AM

Bollig has been a lot more valuable this year than last year in my opinion.

Last year I NEVER wanted to see him in a playoff game however this year I do not have an issue with it.

lockman21 04-15-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15259754)
Fact is, Bollig HAS to play against the Blues, at least in the first couple games (and Q seems to love Bollig so he will probably play in every game). It's obvious that STL will come out swinging. IMO their first goal will be to establish the physical game in that first period, scoring will just be a byproduct of that if they can neutralize Toews & Kane who may not be up to game speed.

That said, Handzus is terrible and needs to be out of the lineup. If Hawks go down a couple games I think we could see Morin.

Bollig also should be in the lineup for game 1 of the playoffs because he's an experienced veteran. You want a guy that's been there before to be in game 1 instead of a guy you literally just called up a couple weeks ago.

No one is saying Morin doesn't have more skill than Bollig or Handzus, but the kid hasn't even played in 20 NHL games yet in his career, let alone the playoffs. That's a huge factor, ESPECIALLY against a physical team like St. Louis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 15259648)
I would have no problem with Ben Smith centering Hossa and Sharp.

And what reason would that be for?

Look, I hate Handzus being our 2C too, but the guy does a lot that people just don't notice. Yes, he's slow and can't make plays offensively, but he gets to the gritty areas and keeps plays alive. He plays the game 200 ft and is responsible defensively. Despite his lack of speed, how often do you see a play going the other direction in an odd man rush when he's on the ice? Not very often. His role on that line isn't to make plays happen or be an offensive guy, but it's the hope that you let your stars be the stars while he just kind of allows them to do that.

It's a huge reason why I think Bowman hasn't done a "great" job as the GM. It's my one big criticism of his, and that's how he has ignored the 2C position. It's a huge reason why I think the signing of Bickell was so misguided. The entire team takes much better shape with a legit second line center. It doesn't have to be a Malkin or Kesler, but someone along the talent lines of Sam Gagner would make a world of difference.

Anyway, we're grasping at straws picking which one is better for the 2C slot between Smith, Kruger, and Handzus. None of them are second line centers. That was my point, that you really don't have someone that makes that much more of sense in that slot than Handzus.

barbogast 04-15-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15259876)
I saw this yesterday and wanted to scream. Thank God I will never ever be a Caps fan cause I don't know how they're taking all of this. Ovechkin just needs to shut the hell up, man up, and take responsibility for his team. Yeah, he's right that's it's not all about one guy--it never is. Every single player on that roster is responsible, from the guy who plays 82 games, to the healthy scratches. But there are different degrees of accountability, and as the captain, plus the leading scorer, you need to man the hell up.

EDIT: I know I'm preaching to the choir, I just hate this shit. Same thing happened with Mike Richards while he was here. It was annoying.

It's been real tough to watch the whole Ovie thing unfold like this

Just been getting uglier and uglier ever since Bruce left

fonzz41 04-15-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15259866)
The guy makes it so hard to be a fan

I'm so tired of hearing him say "it's my job to score goals. I did that". Actually, Alex, when you first got here I was told you were gonna score goals AND bring championships.

You hit the nail on the head earlier, at least I think it was you, when you said he'll thrive on a team where leadership isn't required from him. He's gotta be the worst captain currently in the NHL.

:thumbsup If he wants to just "do his job" and score goals, strip him of every other responsibility and let him do that. He'll probably keep scoring 50 PP goals a year. Meanwhile, The Toews's, Crosbys, Browns, and (hopefully someday) Landeskogs will be off leading their teams to championships.

A captain isn't content with filling just one role for his team.

A captain, when he's getting thrown under the bus for his irresponsible play, doesn't pull his teammates down with him.

lockman21 04-15-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 15259847)
then why is Bollig not skating on their line? The whole Bollig "presence" argument is the worst and dumbest argument to justify Bollig. He was on the ice with Hossa when Torres attempted murder on him.

I could get behind the whole "creates energy" "plays physical" argument, but Morin creates energy and plays physical too and he does it in a more beneficial way...by scoring goals.

If you're going to argue against Bollig, then the argument could be made against your boy Bickell being in the lineup as well. Based on an 82 game season, he would have had 20 points, and that's while averaging more ice time than Bollig. All while Bollig has nearly twice as many hits, less giveaways, and more shots on net than Bickell.

barbogast 04-15-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15259900)
:thumbsup If he wants to just "do his job" and score goals, strip him of every other responsibility and let him do that. He'll probably keep scoring 50 PP goals a year. Meanwhile, The Toews's, Crosbys, Browns, and (hopefully someday) Landeskogs will be off leading their teams to championships.

A captain, when he's getting thrown under the bus for his irresponsible play, doesn't pull his teammates down with him.

He also doesn't publicly beef with the head coach, which Ovie has done with EVERY SINGLE COACH HE'S HAD IN THE NHL

It's so frustrating

fonzz41 04-15-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15259923)
He also doesn't publicly beef with the head coach, which Ovie has done with EVERY SINGLE COACH HE'S HAD IN THE NHL

It's so frustrating

Absolutely :thumbsup

You're more close to this than I ever even want to be, so let me ask you, do you feel management actually undermines whoever the Caps coach is by constantly putting Ovie up on a pedestal and sucking him off? By enabling Ovie to act the way he does, are they just setting up whoever the coach is for failure?

Rebecca De Mornay 04-15-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15259900)

ahem, i believe you're missing representation from an important team here sir...