Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

dmbetc 01-13-2014 09:04 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterboy100 (Post 15035449)
103 and counting. You at the game?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I am not, but Chris is (lockman21)!

dmbetc 01-13-2014 10:08 PM

So proud of Dustin tonight. Such a good slap in the face goal to Vancouver.

waterboy100 01-13-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15035529)
So proud of Dustin tonight. Such a good slap in the face goal to Vancouver.

Captain America to the rescue

unccrombie 01-14-2014 05:11 AM

I was at the Caps/Sabres game on Sunday in DC and need to mention this little boy. I wanted to find out more after watching his puck drop antics.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...t-warming-gif/

TMoore4075 01-14-2014 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15035625)
I was at the Caps/Sabres game on Sunday in DC and need to mention this little boy. I wanted to find out more after watching his puck drop antics.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...t-warming-gif/

http://youtu.be/vZc9SMLoD84

Just watched that this morning.

Alazais 01-14-2014 10:37 AM

That's so good.

lockman21 01-14-2014 11:00 AM

First off, I just want to take a second and thank Sarah for being possibly the coolest person on the planet. Thanks to her I got a chance to meet Dustin Brown, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Jonathan Quick (among others). I ended up with seats two rows behind the Kings bench by meeting a couple that I was able to meet thanks to her. I got to hear the chirping going on behind the bench, listen to Sutter during the game...it was an unreal experience. I also met a couple of the LA Dodgers as they were sitting right by me.

Second, Staples is a great place to see a game. A GREAT place to see a game. What an arena! The typical hockey do's and don'ts aren't followed as closely as they are in Chicago (lots of people don't wait for the whistle to get up and go get food/go to the bathroom, etc), but the atmosphere was incredible, and that barn is insanely nice.

Third...thanks again Sarah. You're the greatest.

swordo84 01-14-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15037249)
First off, I just want to take a second and thank Sarah for being possibly the coolest person on the planet. Thanks to her I got a chance to meet Dustin Brown, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Jonathan Quick (among others). I ended up with seats two rows behind the Kings bench by meeting a couple that I was able to meet thanks to her. I got to hear the chirping going on behind the bench, listen to Sutter during the game...it was an unreal experience. I also met a couple of the LA Dodgers as they were sitting right by me.

Second, Staples is a great place to see a game. A GREAT place to see a game. What an arena! The typical hockey do's and don'ts aren't followed as closely as they are in Chicago (lots of people don't wait for the whistle to get up and go get food/go to the bathroom, etc), but the atmosphere was incredible, and that barn is insanely nice.

Sounds pretty awesome :thumbsup

TMoore4075 01-14-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Very nice hairy legs, I mean Sarah. ;)

dmbetc 01-14-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

You're very welcome Chris! I'm so happy you had such a great experience! Next time, I'll go to the game so you can buy me a few beers. :)

lockman21 01-14-2014 12:40 PM

Also, with about 5 minutes left in the 1st last night, the Kings had been on the PP for 11 minutes, including a 7 minute PP and a little bit of a 5 on 3...and they were outshot at that point.

What?

dmbetc 01-14-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15037781)
Also, with about 5 minutes left in the 1st last night, the Kings had been on the PP for 11 minutes, including a 7 minute PP and a little bit of a 5 on 3...and they were outshot at that point.

What?

Utterly embarrassing. The Canucks do have the best PK in the league but still, utterly embarrassing.

kev87lads 01-14-2014 01:09 PM

^ awesome stuff guy and girl. Cool that this place helped you connect to make it a solid night for Chris.

Sarah is the bestest.

fonzz41 01-14-2014 02:05 PM

Sarah, replace Ferris's name with yours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP0-XWHkTdc

fonzz41 01-14-2014 07:42 PM

A couple things:

The Avs and Hawks are so much fun to watch play eachother when both are playing their game.

Saad scares me more than anyone else on the Hawks when he's got the puck on his stick.

Seabrook gave me a huge boner on that play on MacKinnon in overtime.

rustysurf83 01-14-2014 08:03 PM

Hawks need to put it together soon. They continue this shit and they will be on the road in the second round. An OT/SO game is essentially an automatic loss at this point and the penalty kill cannot be that bad if you expect to win in the playoffs.

~Crashintome89~ 01-14-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustysurf83 (Post 15039051)
Hawks need to put it together soon. They continue this shit and they will be on the road in the second round. An OT/SO game is essentially an automatic loss at this point and the penalty kill cannot be that bad if you expect to win in the playoffs.

Oh for fuck's sake....

fonzz41 01-14-2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15039067)
Oh for fuck's sake....

:lol pretty much what I was thinking.

The Hawks actually played pretty well tonight. Still impressed with Oduya (cue Hawks fans telling me why Hjalmarsson is better). Saad was the best forward on the Hawks. As I mentioned, he's dangerous whenever he's on the ice.

As for the Avs, not their best game but they were calculated in their attack and patient when they needed to be. I was expecting worse from a team missing Stastny, Johnson, Tanguay, Parenteau, Guenin, and Sarich.

EDIT: and for those still criticizing the Talbot trade, tonight was case in point for why he was acquired. Also, Nick Holden. That is all.

rustysurf83 01-14-2014 08:27 PM

How is that a block?

lockman21 01-14-2014 10:55 PM

Me and Dustin Brown:

http://instagram.com/p/jJBjoXBj8_/

My seats at the game:

http://instagram.com/p/jJCWGhBj9r/

I have other pictures (with Richards/Sutter/etc), but those are the only ones I put on Instagram.

lockman21 01-14-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15039007)
A couple things:

The Avs and Hawks are so much fun to watch play eachother when both are playing their game.

Saad scares me more than anyone else on the Hawks when he's got the puck on his stick.

Seabrook gave me a huge boner on that play on MacKinnon in overtime.

Saad is an unreal talent. That's the one move I don't understand from Q. Saad being on the third line really doesn't make sense to me. Having Kane babysit a 2nd line of Zeus and Bickell while Saad skates with Shaw and Versteeg on the 3rd just doesn't add up in my head.

I like the idea of Kruger centering the third between Shaw and Bickell while Zeus sits down with Bollig and Smith, and the 2nd line is Saad - Versteeg - Kane.

I trust Q, but I'd really like to hear his explanation of why Saad doesn't play top 6 minutes. He's clearly the best forward outside of the core guys (Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa). I don't know. Makes no sense to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustysurf83 (Post 15039051)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15039067)
Oh for fuck's sake....

:lol Basically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15039082)
:lol pretty much what I was thinking.

The Hawks actually played pretty well tonight. Still impressed with Oduya (cue Hawks fans telling me why Hjalmarsson is better). Saad was the best forward on the Hawks. As I mentioned, he's dangerous whenever he's on the ice.

As for the Avs, not their best game but they were calculated in their attack and patient when they needed to be. I was expecting worse from a team missing Stastny, Johnson, Tanguay, Parenteau, Guenin, and Sarich.

EDIT: and for those still criticizing the Talbot trade, tonight was case in point for why he was acquired. Also, Nick Holden. That is all.

.......................Hjalmarsson is better :lol

Just had to. Hammer's my guy. I do love Oduya and what he brings to the table though. He was such a great trade acquisition for the Hawks. It may seem like an obvious statement, but they don't win the Cup last year without him. That said, it's either him or Leddy that might have to pack their bags after this season (likely Leddy). Adam Clendening needs a shot at the roster next year.

By the way, you would love Clendening.

waterboy100 01-15-2014 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15037472)
You're very welcome Chris! I'm so happy you had such a great experience! Next time, I'll go to the game so you can buy me a few beers. :)

I've been off the boards for a while but is still love to meet you. I've got season tickets so let me know the next time you go.

fonzz41 01-15-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15039296)
Saad is an unreal talent. That's the one move I don't understand from Q. Saad being on the third line really doesn't make sense to me. Having Kane babysit a 2nd line of Zeus and Bickell while Saad skates with Shaw and Versteeg on the 3rd just doesn't add up in my head.

I like the idea of Kruger centering the third between Shaw and Bickell while Zeus sits down with Bollig and Smith, and the 2nd line is Saad - Versteeg - Kane.

I trust Q, but I'd really like to hear his explanation of why Saad doesn't play top 6 minutes. He's clearly the best forward outside of the core guys (Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa). I don't know. Makes no sense to me.

.......................Hjalmarsson is better :lol

Just had to. Hammer's my guy. I do love Oduya and what he brings to the table though. He was such a great trade acquisition for the Hawks. It may seem like an obvious statement, but they don't win the Cup last year without him. That said, it's either him or Leddy that might have to pack their bags after this season (likely Leddy). Adam Clendening needs a shot at the roster next year.

By the way, you would love Clendening.

Yeah man, I'm blown away by the ... what's the word... maybe "cleverness" with which Saad plays the game. He does little things well and plays beyond his age and experience. He should definitely be playing more minutes and was 100% the most noticeable Blackhawks forward on the ice last night.

I would think if one of those d-men goes, the smart thing would be to release Leddy. Not only is Oduya the better all-around talent, but his chemistry with Hammer is not something you want to take lightly. As a guy who's played a lot of forward and is now switching to more D, you've probably noticed how important - and challenging - it can be to develop chemistry with your defensive partner. Crucial and difficult all at the same time, so when you find two guys that have it, you don't separate them! Hell, I think a big reason Bouwmeester made the Olympics is because of the chemistry he has with Pietrangelo. I do think Oduya was a big - if underrated - reason they've been successful. Notice how much better Keith has been playing as of late (back to Norris form, IMO)? I definitely attribute that IN PART to how well Hammer and Oduya play together, which in turn takes some pressure off the top pairing.

And I'm just yanking all the Hawks fans chains now about Hammer at this point. :lol I'm generally uncomfortable with "who's better" arguments because of the wide range of talent in the NHL. Guys have different skill sets and are "better" at different things, but unless you're comparing Crosby to Patrick Bordeleau, it's difficult and usually unproductive to do go through an over-arching "who's better" argument.

EDIT: I've heard good things about Clendening but haven't watched anything of him that I recall. I look forward to seeing him play!

Rebecca De Mornay 01-15-2014 09:07 AM

Hey guys.

I've been banned for the past few weeks.

Jackets have been on fire though!!

Hope this doesn't jinx it :lol

swordo84 01-15-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15039980)
Hey guys.

Welcome back! What got you the :banned ?

fonzz41 01-15-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15039980)
Hey guys.

Dude, I was wondering just the other day where the hell you were. Glad you're back, and just in time for the Jackets to be playing better. Cool to see.

Rebecca De Mornay 01-15-2014 09:13 AM

Yeah it has been fun, Bob looks like he did last year coming off this injury, if he plays well they could really do some damage. Horton has been great so far and I think he is only about 50% in terms of stamina.

All of the sudden the metro doesn't look so bad..

HallowBillies7 01-15-2014 09:43 AM

The Bruins need to rest Tuukka badly, the problem is I don't think Claude trusts Johnson. Also losing Seidenberg has clearly left problems on the blue line. I think they need to make a move just not sure for who yet, maybe Tallinder from the Sabres?

fonzz41 01-15-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallowBillies7 (Post 15040153)
The Bruins need to rest Tuukka badly, the problem is I don't think Claude trusts Johnson. Also losing Seidenberg has clearly left problems on the blue line. I think they need to make a move just not sure for who yet, maybe Tallinder from the Sabres?

It's a tough line to know when to rest your goalie when he's a big-minute guy. Brodeur would play 75+ games a season simply because he played better the more he played. Not sure Rask is the same way... But I agree that there comes a point where no matter what you have to sit him. Johnson is definitely not one of the best backups in the league, so I can empathize with the trepidation, especially with how tight races are and will be down the stretch.

I'm not sure a move is warranted on defense yet, although the loss of Seidenberg definitely hurts. They have pretty decent depth, but an extra vet couldn't hurt.

I will give you Matt Hunwick for free if you want him. :lol

Bron Yr Aur 01-15-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15039296)

Eh, Saad on the 3rd line is "OK" by me as it adds balance to the lineup. Saad is a puck-controlling beast and makes lesser linemates more effective so that it is an okay spot for him for now, IMO. The one thing he needs to do more is shoot, though. Saad is like Kane in his first year or two, choosing to create space and defer perhaps a bit too often rather than taking his own shot.

Saad, despite being on the "3rd line", averages the 5th highest TOI of all Hawk forwards, anyway...

Quote:

The problem with this is that Kruger is the "shutdown" part of that 4th line. Q tries to match them up against opposing top-6's when he can but that doesn't work with the slow-ass Zus playing there. The guy cannot defend because he is simply too slow. Zus is this year's Andrew Brunette. Someone needs to tell Q that the guy is DONE.

Anyway....I thought the Hawks skated circles around the Avs again last night but Varlamov was the difference. A game clearly stolen by the goaltender.