Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 04-19-2019 09:47 PM

Re: The NHL Thread: featuring Gritty, the regular season mascot champ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 17426665)
So happy for you Matty!! Enjoy it (I know you will!)

It’s just fun to see them playing with swagger and confidence. When they do, it’s hard to stop them. Getting scoring up and down the lineup, D is solid, Grubi unflappable... this is the Avs team I knew has been there. They may lose next round, but I’m immensely proud of the growth they’ve demonstrated this season.

dmbetc 04-19-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17426669)
Cale Makar - finished NCAA, signed contract day of game 3, scored on first shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17426670)
Cale Makar. How about his play for a guy who didn’t even sign his first contract until last week? Been a lot of hype for him since he was drafted and early returns are showing the hype was deserved.

Oh right right, didn’t know his first name, yeah he has been a joy to watch. Love seeing the young guys do well in such huge moments.

dmbetc 04-19-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17426675)
Irony - he and his family are from Calgary (assume he grew up a Flames fan), parents are Flames season ticket holders :lol :lol

Yeah, just heard that on NBC Sports.

fonzz41 04-19-2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BotheLaneFan (Post 17426674)
What the shit happened to Good Guy James Neal this year?

Healthy scratch tonight.

BotheLaneFan 04-19-2019 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17426680)
Healthy scratch tonight.

Ryan Reaves had more points than him this year, and I'm pretty sure he's not a hockey player.

drakan 04-19-2019 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17426669)
Cale Makar - finished NCAA, signed contract day of game 3, scored on first shot.

Never heard of him.

Brohan_Santana 04-19-2019 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17426688)
Never heard of him.

Probably won’t show up on your advanced stats spreadsheet quite yet, but I’m sure he’ll make it on at some point relatively soon

drakan 04-19-2019 10:37 PM

I've actually never tried kale.

drakan 04-19-2019 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17426689)
Probably won’t show up on your advanced stats spreadsheet quite yet, but I’m sure he’ll make it on at some point relatively soon

Was posting about him during the NCAAs said Avs would love him.

:popcorn

Brohan_Santana 04-19-2019 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17426691)

Who would have thought the NCAA POY would make quite the impact

fonzz41 04-19-2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17426691)

Been posting about him since 2017 when he was drafted.

drakan 04-19-2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17426692)
Who would have thought the NCAA POY would make quite the impact

Plenty of good college players don't make an impact, even Hobey Baker winners. Like Jimmy Vesey. By NCAA POY you mean Hobey Baker winner?

fonzz41 04-19-2019 10:43 PM

Not impressed with Johnny Hockey’s attitude. I know he’s frustrated, but to be chirping them as you’re going through the handshake line? C’mon. He was shaking hands, but not even looking the guys in the face, instead had his head turned towards the ref.

Dude, it’s not their fault you couldn’t come through when it mattered.

Brohan_Santana 04-19-2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17426694)
Plenty of good college players don't make an impact, even Hobey Baker winners. Like Jimmy Vesey. By NCAA POY you mean Hobey Baker winner?

Yes. The award that’s given to the top collegiate hockey player or play of the year (POY)

fonzz41 04-19-2019 11:21 PM

The NHL Thread: featuring Gritty, the regular season mascot champ.

One more thing because I’m amped up and not going to bed any time soon. Combo Avs/d-men post... a Matty Special.

Some out there saying Erik Johnson (Avs #1 d-man) wasn’t very noticeable this series, as if to knock him. But you know who else wasn’t noticeable this series? Gaudreau. Monahan. The Flames stars. And who matched up against them nearly every time they were on the ice? Erik Johnson.

Points from the back-end are fun to see and even necessary, but in the end completely erasing another team’s top line is EXACTLY what a #1 defenseman does to help his team win. It’s the type of contribution that is not immediately noticeable, but absolutely essential. Go EJ!

spoot388 04-19-2019 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17426661)
So glad everyone is getting to see what I have seen all season. This team has nothing but talent. Glad they are back to playing to their potential.

they're finally back to playing like the team they were in the first half of the season when they had the 2nd best record in the league. definitely got hot at the right time. almost like a rockies 2007 run they're on right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17426670)
Cale Makar. How about his play for a guy who didn’t even sign his first contract until last week? Been a lot of hype for him since he was drafted and early returns are showing the hype was deserved.

i was skeptical of him playing in the playoffs. i heard a ton about how good he is, but he's still a rookie in the NHL and rookies make mistakes and are not playing at their highest level. there is still a lot to learn. girard has been fantastic, but he has also grown a lot over the last 2 years. i wasn't sure if makar playing was really the right decision (especially with the expansion draft issue), but i have been very impressed by his play so far. if it wasn't for the broadcasters mentioning it every time he hit the ice, you'd never know it was his first handful of games in his NHL career.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17426698)
One more thing because I’m amped up and not going to bed any time soon. Combo Avs/d-men post... a Matty Special.

Some out there saying Erik Johnson (Avs #1 d-man) wasn’t very noticeable this series, as if to knock him. But you know who else wasn’t noticeable this series? Gaudreau. Monahan. The Flames stars. And who matched up against them nearly every time they were on the ice? Erik Johnson.

Points from the back-end are fun to see and even necessary, but in the end completely erasing another team’s top line is EXACTLY what a #1 defenseman does to help his team win. It’s the type of contribution that is not immediately noticeable, but absolutely essential. Go EJ!

johnson and cole were fantastic this round. for as fun as it is watching makar and girard spin circles around guys and poke check forwards to death, having johnson and cole back there to compliment the speed of the young guys with some brute force is perfect for this team.

fonzz41 04-19-2019 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoot388 (Post 17426699)
johnson and cole were fantastic this round. for as fun as it is watching makar and girard spin circles around guys and poke check forwards to death, having johnson and cole back there to compliment the speed of the young guys with some brute force is perfect for this team.

Avs haven’t had a defenseman like Cole since His Holiness Adam Foote and it’s so apparent how valuable a player like that can be. Especially one who has gone all the way a couple times. Love him.

Brohan_Santana 04-20-2019 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BotheLaneFan (Post 17426674)
What the shit happened to Good Guy James Neal this year?

You mean, Really Not A Steal James Neal?

mthawk07 04-20-2019 04:19 AM

Just woke up and saw the Flames got wrecked. What a weird start to the playoffs. Consequently, I had the Flames winning in 5 and the Lightning winning in 4 in my bracket. Whoops. :lol

aeroshady 04-20-2019 04:45 AM

Congrats Matty!

That said, I do hate it for the Flames. I really thought they had a chance at making a run this year. Canada’s hopes at a cup took another hit again.

Also, this season is once again proving that the NHL regular season is almost pointless in meaning. You really only have to play just well enough to qualify for the “real” season. Don’t get me wrong, this is what makes the NHL playoffs the best in sports. It just also makes following the regular season seriously kind of pointless. Tampa and Calgary getting blow away suggests that there is something off about how the NHL regular season is being played. You really have no idea if a team is good or not until the playoffs.

I had a Calgary and Tampa finals in my bracket and the fact that it is busted after round one is insane. I also had the Islanders and Canes in the second round, so maybe I will get that one correct though!

unccrombie 04-20-2019 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 17426710)
Congrats Matty!

That said, I do hate it for the Flames. I really thought they had a chance at making a run this year. Canada’s hopes at a cup took another hit again.

Also, this season is once again proving that the NHL regular season is almost pointless in meaning. You really only have to play just well enough to qualify for the “real” season. Don’t get me wrong, this is what makes the NHL playoffs the best in sports. It just also makes following the regular season seriously kind of pointless. Tampa and Calgary getting blow away suggests that there is something off about how the NHL regular season is being played. You really have no idea if a team is good or not until the playoffs.

I had a Calgary and Tampa finals in my bracket and the fact that it is busted after round one is insane. I also had the Islanders and Canes in the second round, so maybe I will get that one correct though!

This is how I feel about baseball. There is 0 point in watching daily.

barbogast 04-20-2019 05:42 AM

Congrats, Matty. I barely watched any of your series so I can’t comment much on the actual hockey played, but I am very happy for you.

It’s been really fun seeing all these big favorites go down so fast. I just hope my team isn’t the next one.

barbogast 04-20-2019 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 17426726)
This is how I feel about baseball. There is 0 point in watching daily.

Are there actually fans that are hardcore enough to watch 162 games in a row? That seems like a massive commitment

jcc522 04-20-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17426728)
Are there actually fans that are hardcore enough to watch 162 games in a row? That seems like a massive commitment

I keep up with the games through the MLB app so I know what the Os are doing daily and watch games on TV on the weekends.

You’d have to be retired to have the time to sit and watch all 162.

bradshaw06 04-20-2019 06:12 AM

Jumping on the avs bandwagon for the rest of the playoffs

unccrombie 04-20-2019 06:27 AM

Quote:

Definitely know a couple people on this forum who do

unccrombie 04-20-2019 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 17426738)

Rooting for the Preds, personally

fonzz41 04-20-2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 17426738)

Welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 17426710)
It just also makes following the regular season seriously kind of pointless.

Hey my friend, watching hockey is never pointless!

Lcsulla 04-20-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

I came very close with the 1998 Yankees. Early on in the season I missed a few games but it quickly became apparent they were something special and I literally watched every game from early April through the last out of the World Series. They played 175 games that season so I more than likely watched 162 in a row. I was lucky though, I was making Pizza's for $10 bucks an hour plus tips for 3 days a week (during the day) and taking 3 courses in college so I had both money and time to do so plus I was 21 so we'd go out at night ONLY to bars that had the Yanks game on or head to a friends house to have beer and watch. I watched a ton of baseball during that Yankees dynasty and it was fun. My enthusiasm petered off a bit after that so I would only watch about 3/4's of the games. 1998 was a fun experience even watching that many games, for my team to go 125 and 50 and sweep the WS was amazing and will likely never be duplicated in my lifetime.

Also, despite their ups and downs I have not missed a Hawks game in the past 3 plus years. Gives me something enjoyable even if it can piss me off a bit at times, part of it is probably my justifying the money I laid out for the NHL.com full package.

Brohan_Santana 04-20-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

I’ll watch 155 Nats games either live or listen to on the radio. Baseball >>>>> to me, but that’s just me

I’ll also watch or listen to another 4+ games a week that aren’t Nats