Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

recentlyJTR41 05-26-2017 07:49 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)

I am pulling for the Nashville Predators in the Stanley Cup

TheLastPig 05-26-2017 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 (Post 16800055)

Shocking!

Thanks for stopping by!

barbogast 05-26-2017 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 (Post 16800055)

Smart man

YouNeverKnow25 05-26-2017 07:57 AM

hey I know no offense was meant and you're generally a big-J type guy but "thanks for stopping by" is my bit and I need you to step off before my lawyer sends you a cease and desist letter

recentlyJTR41 05-26-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16800057)
Shocking!

Thanks for stopping by!

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16800064)
Smart man

Noted hockey expert here just sharing my knowledge

TheLastPig 05-26-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16800065)
hey I know no offense was meant and you're generally a big-J type guy but "thanks for stopping by" is my bit and I need you to step off before my lawyer sends you a cease and desist letter

a big J jouno?

YouNeverKnow25 05-26-2017 08:01 AM

yeah big-J journo

YouNeverKnow25 05-26-2017 08:01 AM

**big-J Journo**

aeroshady 05-26-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16799999)
I suppose I get what your saying. Is it the lack of different teams in the finals/winning it?

2008: Wings (over Pens)
2009: Pens (over Wings)
2010: Hawks
2011: Bruins
2012: Kings
2013: Hawks (over the Bruins)
2014: Kings
2015: Hawks
2016: Pens
2017: Pens vs Preds

That I can understand. I'm biased so I'm not upset ;)

But, the same thing has been happening in the NFL too. The same 5 teams have been in the super bowl for the AFC for the last 20 years.

With that said if you would ask me whether or not I wanted to watch the Pats or the effing Jaguars or Bills in the super bowl?

Pats every time because I want to watch good football.

Bottom line is that there are elite teams in sports. Those teams find ways to win titles. Fans like to see the surprise team sneak up there and win one every now and then. For the most part, in a 5-10 year period, it is the same teams with those elite players making the finals over and over again.

NBA is the most obvious about this. West: Warriors right now, was Spurs and Lakers before that. East: What ever team James plays for. Surprise: Mavs getting it done that one year.

NFL: Pats are obvious, but the Giants, Pitt and Packers and what ever team Payton was on.

Nascar: Jimmy Johnson and Smoke won all of the titles in 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 & 2016 with the ones in bold being Johnson. Before that Gordon won 4 and before that Earnhardt won 7 and before that Petty won 7.

NHL: The list is above in the quote.

Honestly, as a hockey fan it can be depressing if you are not a fan of an elite team. You are basically hoping that your team can be that surprise and win just one cup randomly or you hope that they suck hard enough to draft themselves into becoming one of the elite teams.

The Rangers were that surprise team in 1994. They were close to being one of the surprises in 2014, but they lost to an elite team. The Rangers have been good for about 10 years, but they were never elite and that makes all the difference.

The Caps are unfortunately the same. Ovi is maybe one the "goodest" players of all time, but Crosby is elite. The difference it that one is about to play in his 4th Cup final with chance of winning his 3rd and he shits gold internationally, whereas the other has always been an arms-length away from success.

I also think this is why teams have such long championship droughts. It is really hard to become elite in the salary cap era. You literally have to either already be elite or suck hard for along time. Being good is honestly the worst thing that can happen to a franchise. It prolongs droughts because you will never break through the wall to greatness with what you have, but what you have will prevent you from drafting and rebuilding.

thechad90000 05-26-2017 09:46 AM

I've never seen so many people in Tennessee act so crazy about hockey. It's awesome. I'm glad the bandwagon is overflowing currently. Hopefully many of them stick around. Going to Nashville for Game 3!

aeroshady 05-26-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thechad90000 (Post 16800228)
I've never seen so many people in Tennessee act so crazy about hockey. It's awesome. I'm glad the bandwagon is overflowing currently. Hopefully many of them stick around. Going to Nashville for Game 3!

Have a blast! Going to be a fun 10-15 days in that city! I really hope they get it done for those fans!

hailtopitt 05-26-2017 09:58 AM

The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)

The arena was electric last night

Pretty much perfect other than the lack of replay on the Kessel shot and the towels on the ice

Place was shaking during the air raid siren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrkarger 05-26-2017 10:21 AM

Lame...

http://www.wtae.com/article/predator...g-area/9936073

Any Kroger's in Nashville?

Roose13 05-26-2017 10:23 AM

Not lame. It's their first Cup and an invasion of bandwagon Penguins fans is unwelcome. Yea, I said it :)

hailtopitt 05-26-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16800288)

Lol Nashville knows how pittsburgh can travel...ever seen a Steelers v Titans game in Nashville? More black and gold than baby blue

Such a dumb move though. First Tampa not allowing penguins sweaters to be worn last year and now this...

jrkarger 05-26-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16800290)
Not lame. It's their first Cup and an invasion of bandwagon Penguins fans is unwelcome. Yea, I said it :)

:rolleyes

jrkarger 05-26-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16800291)
Lol Nashville knows how pittsburgh can travel...ever seen a Steelers v Titans game in Nashville? More black and gold than baby blue

Such a dumb move though. First Tampa not allowing penguins sweaters to be worn last year and now this...

It's not going to work for a couple of reasons.

1. Scott Paulsen said this once on an NFL network documentary about traveling Steelers fans...

The collapse of the steel industry in Pittsburgh happened as the same time as the Super Steelers of the 70's. As families left western PA for other jobs they took their Steelers (and Pirates, and Pens) fandom with them and their kids grew up as Pittsburgh fans.

The great myth is that Pittsburgh fans travel well. That's not it all.... (and this is Paulsen's quote), "We're already there!"

It's true. I worked with a guy who lived in Chicago. His family moved away from Pittsburgh when he was ten years old. He's as big of a Steelers and Pens fan as they come.

2. Hardcore fans that do "travel well" will hit up stub hub.

TheLastPig 05-26-2017 10:32 AM

yeah I mean if you wanna go to nashville theres really no stopping you. tons of tickets on the secondary market.

I dont really care about them restricting ticket sales.

The jersey thing was super ridiculous last year though

bradshaw06 05-26-2017 10:39 AM

If the pens win, and its a big if still, matt murray will have technically won 2 cups as a rookie.

TheLastPig 05-26-2017 10:42 AM

Craig Custance out at ESPN NHL

excitingjae 05-26-2017 12:26 PM

Does anyone outside of the DC area care about the Capitals?

Hockey is largely a regional sport. You don't have many fans of teams outside of their local area like you might see a fan of the Cowboys outside of Texas or Yankees outside of NYC.

cry_minarets458 05-26-2017 12:38 PM

I'm so tired today :lol

bradshaw06 05-26-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 (Post 16800437)
I'm so tired today :lol

I didnt end up going to bed until 3. What a night

aeroshady 05-26-2017 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excitingjae (Post 16800428)

Hockey is largely a regional sport. You don't have many fans of teams outside of their local area like you might see a fan of the Cowboys outside of Texas or Yankees outside of NYC.

Yes, there are a lot of Caps fans outside the DC area. Ovi's star power did help with that.

They are not on the level of the original six though

Roose13 05-26-2017 01:47 PM

What non O6 teams are though, with the exception of Philly and Pitt?

hailtopitt 05-26-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16800298)
It's not going to work for a couple of reasons.

1. Scott Paulsen said this once on an NFL network documentary about traveling Steelers fans...

The collapse of the steel industry in Pittsburgh happened as the same time as the Super Steelers of the 70's. As families left western PA for other jobs they took their Steelers (and Pirates, and Pens) fandom with them and their kids grew up as Pittsburgh fans.

The great myth is that Pittsburgh fans travel well. That's not it all.... (and this is Paulsen's quote), "We're already there!"

It's true. I worked with a guy who lived in Chicago. His family moved away from Pittsburgh when he was ten years old. He's as big of a Steelers and Pens fan as they come.

2. Hardcore fans that do "travel well" will hit up stub hub.

This may be true for places like Nashville, California and Florida, but places like cincy, Cleveland, Baltimore/DC, Philly and Columbus usually have tons of pittsburghers that actually travel.

Myself included.

barbogast 05-26-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excitingjae (Post 16800428)

What a strange and fully unrelated question to ask

TMoore4075 05-28-2017 04:34 AM

In the ultimate losers bracket the Grand Rapids Griffins (Wings) and the Syracuse Crunch (TBL) are in the Calder Cup Finals. Hey I gotta be excited about something.

barbogast 05-28-2017 04:58 AM

Caps are gonna get an outdoor game against TOR at the Naval Academy next season.

Also sounds like Oshie is very close to a new deal with the Caps.

kev87lads 05-28-2017 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16800932)
In the ultimate losers bracket the Grand Rapids Griffins (Wings) and the Syracuse Crunch (TBL) are in the Calder Cup Finals. Hey I gotta be excited about something.

This is only cool and exciting if the NHL is in a lockout. #2005Phantoms4lyfe