Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Roose13 09-28-2016 07:02 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16598222)
You should have tweeted it.

Change your handle to @breakingnewsJON

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16598243)

:thumbsup For all your insider Dennis Seidenberg news.

:lol:lol

BeyondKnight 09-28-2016 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16595632)

Still think Crosby should retire though.

Maybe he will- he is already 1/4 of the way towards an EGOT.

Quote:

The Penguins won in the "Sports -- One-Time Special" category for There's No Place Like Home With Sidney Crosby (in which Crosby himself was one of the team's nominees) as well as "Education/Schools Program Feature," "Sports-Program Series" and "Writer-Program."
https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pi...ys/c-282117606

Maybe he can get an Oscar for best supporting actor in the gritty reboot of Sudden Death.

TMoore4075 09-29-2016 06:35 AM

Stupid preseason game but like seeing the Wings 4th line having a good night.

salrx95 09-29-2016 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16597709)
Inside sources telling me Islanders will sign free agent D Dennis Seidenberg later today.

Twitter?

Anyways, depth signing. Solid backup in case of injury, though I thought we had Mayfield for that. I guess they didn't trust a kid to be that guy to play a lot of key minutes if someone in the top 3 went down. Ok with it, I guess, though I know Bruins couldn't wait to get him out of town.

fonzz41 09-29-2016 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16598663)
Twitter?

Anyways, depth signing. Solid backup in case of injury, though I thought we had Mayfield for that. I guess they didn't trust a kid to be that guy to play a lot of key minutes if someone in the top 3 went down. Ok with it, I guess, though I know Bruins couldn't wait to get him out of town.

I think wanting to get Seidenberg out was more budgetary than it was about overall play. Even at his age, he's capable of logging a lot of minutes and he's solid in both zones. He's not a top pair defenseman anymore, but he will play well and be a good example to the youngsters on the team. He's the type of guy who becomes really important in the playoffs.

For $1 mil/1 year, good signing by the Isles. :thumbsup

salrx95 09-29-2016 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16598670)
and be a good example to the youngsters on the team. He's the type of guy who becomes really important in the playoffs.

For $1 mil/1 year, good signing by the Isles. :thumbsup

Don't disagree with any of that there and mostly agree. More about giving a guy like Mayfield a shot and now he is blocked and likely will never know on him. He has to clear waivers to go down , I'm pretty sure we won't carry 8 D so who knows what will happens.

lockman21 09-29-2016 08:38 AM

Seidenberg is a solid 6th/7th defenseman at this point, I think. He was a healthy scratch quite a bit last season. Just no way you can pay a guy that money and have him be a healthy scratch. He's perfect at $1m in that rotating 6th/7th slot. Very solid, but just a little old/slow at this point. He's still real solid on the PK, too.

TMoore4075 09-29-2016 08:46 AM

I'd rather have a guy like him being 6/7 rather than a kid. Kids should be playing regular minutes and if they can be sent to the minors without waivers, they should be playing regularly down there imo. That's why I don't have a problem with the Wings sending Mantha to Grand Rapids. He needs to be getting top 6 or top 9 minutes and if you can give him a solid shot at that, he should be in Grand Rapids. Jurco is an example of where you keep him on the big club and then when he doesn't play well he's benched and you slow his development. Babcock is a great coach but he screwed that one.

lockman21 09-29-2016 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16598728)
I'd rather have a guy like him being 6/7 rather than a kid. Kids should be playing regular minutes and if they can be sent to the minors without waivers, they should be playing regularly down there imo. That's why I don't have a problem with the Wings sending Mantha to Grand Rapids. He needs to be getting top 6 or top 9 minutes and if you can give him a solid shot at that, he should be in Grand Rapids. Jurco is an example of where you keep him on the big club and then when he doesn't play well he's benched and you slow his development. Babcock is a great coach but he screwed that one.

100%. That's exactly what you want in your 6th/7th defenseman. Guy that can step in, is almost always in the right place. Can play solid PK minutes. Makes the right reads/passes in moving the puck out of the zone, etc. etc.

fonzz41 09-29-2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16598728)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16598737)
100%. That's exactly what you want in your 6th/7th defenseman. Guy that can step in, is almost always in the right place. Can play solid PK minutes. Makes the right reads/passes in moving the puck out of the zone, etc. etc.

:thumbsup

It's not necessarily a bad thing for a young guy like Mayfield to be in the minors IF he's getting more playing time. Obviously you don't want him buried down there too long, but the most important thing for young defensemen is to play.

Kind of the same thing when the Avs kept Berra as backup and sent Pickard down last year. Gets a lot more development time starting in the minors than playing 12 games in relief in the NHL.

lockman21 09-29-2016 12:35 PM

I loved how the Hawks handled Leddy. It may have sucked for him at the time, but he was up and down between Chicago and Rockford like 50 times that 2010-2011 season. I can't even remember how many times I saw Hawks beat writers tweet either "The Hawks have recalled Nick Leddy" or "The Hawks have sent Nick Leddy back down to Rockford"

Roose13 09-29-2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16598663)
Twitter?

Nope, I decided to break the news in here, just for you guys because I love you all. I actually had an inside source :lol

lockman21 09-29-2016 04:55 PM

Can we rename this thread "SeidenbergC" please? Thanks.

lockman21 09-29-2016 07:45 PM

What a fucking play by Toews there on the GW SHG. Sick shot by Bergeron, too.

swordo84 09-29-2016 07:46 PM

A power play goal, and a shorty in the final 3 min to win it for Canada.

16 wins in a row for our national team in best on best tournies.

lockman21 09-29-2016 07:51 PM

It's going to be amazing 20 years from now when we look back at the Toews/Crosby era of the NHL.

bradshaw06 09-29-2016 07:53 PM

Sid's legend grows

TMoore4075 09-30-2016 05:43 AM

Fantasy league talk time. Got the email of the auto renew of the league. Was there a limit on how many keepers?

bradshaw06 09-30-2016 06:36 AM

I could have sworn we said 2.

lockman21 09-30-2016 07:12 AM

That's what I thought as well. But where's our commish?!

fonzz41 09-30-2016 09:01 AM

Pretty sure it's two.

Waterboy, WHERE ARE YOU?!?!?!

My 2 year championship run ain't gonna defend itself. I'm like the Blackhawks of the Ants league. :rolleyes

hailtopitt 09-30-2016 09:06 AM

i tried fantasy hockey on 2 separate occasions

couldn't get into it. not sure why, just couldn't.

then again, my definition of "fantasy hockey" is watching the beautiful, sexy, fast and pleasantly plump Phil Kessel skate circles in my dreams and raise a Stanley Cup full of hot dogs.

TheLastPig 09-30-2016 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16599667)
i tried fantasy hockey on 2 separate occasions

couldn't get into it. not sure why, just couldn't.

then again, my definition of "fantasy hockey" is watching the beautiful, sexy, fast and pleasantly plump Phil Kessel skate circles in my dreams and raise a Stanley Cup full of hot dogs.

What a missed opportunity on his day with the cup.

fonzz41 09-30-2016 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16599667)

I just got a boner.

hailtopitt 09-30-2016 09:12 AM

less than 2 weeks until we raise THE banner in front of the champions of banners

any yinzers going to the opener?

BeyondKnight 09-30-2016 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16599675)

less than 2 weeks until we raise THE banner in front of the champions of banners

any yinzers going to the opener?

I wish - that is only downside of the rejuvenation of the Penns. There is a small part of me that misses the days when you could walk up and get a $7 dollar student rush ticket 20 minutes before the puck drop.

hailtopitt 09-30-2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondKnight (Post 16599749)
I wish - that is only downside of the rejuvenation of the Penns. There is a small part of me that misses the days when you could walk up and get a $7 dollar student rush ticket 20 minutes before the puck drop.

yea those were the days

in fact, my friends and i climbed the wall of the smoking deck of the igloo a couple times and sneaked in for free :lol

barbogast 10-01-2016 10:37 AM

Lol at suspending players for preseason games

:rolleyes

waterboy100 10-01-2016 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16599658)
Pretty sure it's two.

Waterboy, WHERE ARE YOU?!?!?!

My 2 year championship run ain't gonna defend itself. I'm like the Blackhawks of the Ants league. :rolleyes

im here!
ill re-make the league when i get home and am at the computer. I can't seem to manage it on mobile..

barbogast 10-01-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterboy100 (Post 16600432)
im here!
ill re-make the league when i get home and am at the computer. I can't seem to manage it on mobile..

Hallelujah! He has returned!