Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

barbogast 06-07-2016 06:57 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Can't the Kings and Hawks just go back to taking turns winning it? This Pittsburg business is the worst

dmbmuskie 06-07-2016 07:21 AM

Pens!!!!!!

Dramageek 06-07-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16453566)
:lol I would be typing the same if the situation was reversed and you were saying that about Chicago.

I am just pretty stunned at how well Pittsburgh is playing, before this series started I thought the Sharks were playing the best hockey in the league and I assumed they would exploit the hell out of the Pens D - never really worked out that way though. Pens have shut down the Shark attack and been on a possession tear and cashing in at the most perfect times, now they are up 3-1 and that is quite a hole to climb out of just to force a game 7, let alone win the cup.

:lol Indeed. Though I like the Hawks, and admire (and even envy) their success.

I'm not the best hockey analyst, but there's something that has been very noticeable. While the Pens are certainly built on speed, puck possession and offense (having one of the best offenses in the league since Christmas), their defense has flown under the radar.

I understand why. Outside of Letang, you look at their defense pairings and go "who?!" But the whole team has been chipping in to prevent pucks from going in. And they have been absolutely stellar at preventing other team's top scorers from lighting the lamp.

Ovechkin lit it up against Philly, but was much quieter against the Pens. Oshie had a couple of good games, but that's it. Kucherov had 9-10 goals going into the ECF, but only had a couple of goals until the end of the series.

The Sharks were playing outstanding hockey coming into this series, but they also have encountered the buzzsaw. Paveslki had 13 goals coming into the SCF. Zero goals so far. Couture had 24 points coming in, and only has two assists. Brent Burns had 20 points coming in, and he has zero goals and only two assists in Game 1. Pens have fully committed to shutting down the top talent, and it's working for the most part. I will say that Hertl and Donskoi have really impressed, and it sucks for Hertl that he went down (though I'm not complaining too much!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16453587)
Can't the Kings and Hawks just go back to taking turns winning it? This Pittsburg business is the worst

It really isn't. Just close your eyes, suck it up and think of the President's Trophy. It will be over soon. :)

hailtopitt 06-07-2016 07:37 AM

its ok all you Pens haters. If the Pens win the cup there will be asterisk because Crosby cheats on faceoffs

jrkarger 06-07-2016 07:39 AM

I thought they were really effed without Daley. But, Lovejoy, Cole, and Maatta have really stepped it up. Cole and Lovejoy have each had goals in the last two games. Yikes!

TMoore4075 06-07-2016 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16453652)
its ok all you Pens haters. If the Pens win the cup there will be asterisk because Crosby cheats on faceoffs

No the asterisk will be that his beard is shit compared to Thornton and Burns. Well to be honest, everyone's is shit compared to those two guys.

jrkarger 06-07-2016 07:42 AM

Quote:

Pavelski was 14 of 19 on faceoffs last night.

The refs really need to crack down on all of this cheating.

Dramageek 06-07-2016 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16453659)
No the asterisk will be that his beard is shit compared to Thornton and Burns. Well to be honest, everyone's is shit compared to those two guys.

Their beards are majestic and they look like a Game of Thrones episode.

hailtopitt 06-07-2016 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16453659)

maybe that's why the Sharks look so slow. they're carrying to much face weight

Lcsulla 06-07-2016 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16453640)
:lol Indeed. Though I like the Hawks, and admire (and even envy) their success.

I'm not the best hockey analyst, but there's something that has been very noticeable. While the Pens are certainly built on speed, puck possession and offense (having one of the best offenses in the league since Christmas), their defense has flown under the radar.

I understand why. Outside of Letang, you look at their defense pairings and go "who?!" But the whole team has been chipping in to prevent pucks from going in. And they have been absolutely stellar at preventing other team's top scorers from lighting the lamp.

Ovechkin lit it up against Philly, but was much quieter against the Pens. Oshie had a couple of good games, but that's it. Kucherov had 9-10 goals going into the ECF, but only had a couple of goals until the end of the series.

The Sharks were playing outstanding hockey coming into this series, but they also have encountered the buzzsaw. Paveslki had 13 goals coming into the SCF. Zero goals so far. Couture had 24 points coming in, and only has two assists. Brent Burns had 20 points coming in, and he has zero goals and only two assists in Game 1. Pens have fully committed to shutting down the top talent, and it's working for the most part. I will say that Hertl and Donskoi have really impressed, and it sucks for Hertl that he went down (though I'm not complaining too much!)

Yeah, their ability to shut down lanes and block shots has amazed me, they are doing almost everything right on D and when they do goof something up Murray bails them out. The Pens are just a fun team to watch because they are playing so damn good right now. I have nothing against the players, it is just that as a former Whalers fan I never want Pittsburgh or Philly to win because they tormented my team for 2 decades!

Quote:

He certainly should, then of course you have to go back and update the record books to put an asterisks next every center who has won a cup because they all do it - Crosby is just better than most at timing his swipes.

hailtopitt 06-07-2016 07:51 AM

can't wait to see the Pens play on a worthy ice surface again on Thursday

what an embarrassment that rink was in San Jose

hailtopitt 06-07-2016 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16453673)
He certainly should, then of course you have to go back and update the record books to put an asterisks next every center who has won a cup because they all do it - Crosby is just better than most at timing his swipes.

yea Couture is just a big baby suckin on some sour grapes

TMoore4075 06-07-2016 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16453663)
Their beards are majestic and they look like a Game of Thrones episode.

Yeah. I mean I used to think Zetterberg's was impressive but...he's got nothing on those two. Thornton's is probably more impressive because of how full it is. Burns is kinda scraggly at the ends.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16453664)
maybe that's why the Sharks look so slow. they're carrying to much face weight

That could be. A good 10 lbs being added there.

hailtopitt 06-07-2016 08:01 AM

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/57282621.jpg

fonzz41 06-07-2016 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16453656)
I thought they were really effed without Daley. But, Lovejoy, Cole, and Maatta have really stepped it up. Cole and Lovejoy have each had goals in the last two games. Yikes!

Finals MVP, IMO.

Dramageek 06-07-2016 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16453703)

You're killing me, Smalls!

barbogast 06-07-2016 08:17 AM

Thanks for getting us back on track, h2p

https://i.imgflip.com/jvnos.jpg

hailtopitt 06-07-2016 08:19 AM

anytime!

https://puckinghockey.com/wp-content.../03/kessel.jpg

jrkarger 06-07-2016 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16453706)
Finals MVP, IMO.

Sid and Murray too.

Sid might not have a lot of goals but he's been all over the ice. There have been numerous times I've pointed to my wife during the game that I was shocked it was Sid on the defensive play.

Last night when he broke up that two on one was a prime example.

jrkarger 06-07-2016 08:21 AM

http://i.imgur.com/VOou7jL.gif

fonzz41 06-07-2016 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16453743)
Sid and Murray too.

Sid might not have a lot of goals but he's been all over the ice. There have been numerous times I've pointed to my wife during the game that I was shocked it was Sid on the defensive play.

Last night when he broke up that two on one was a prime example.

Yeah, in terms of Conn Smythe, Crosby and Kessel are a toss up. I love seeing Phil play like he actually cares, and you're right about Sid. All over the ice. It's something I've always liked about him.

barbogast 06-07-2016 08:26 AM

http://www.fm96.com/files/2015/08/CMISbPnVAAAKaj7.jpg

TMoore4075 06-07-2016 08:32 AM

MAF for Conn Smythe! I mean him losing got them back to Murray so he helped.

Dramageek 06-07-2016 08:35 AM

This is pure gold:

https://www.facebook.com/NHLonNBCSpo...9239362096339/

Lcsulla 06-07-2016 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16453686)
yea Couture is just a big baby suckin on some sour grapes

I have no idea why he even brought that up. He does it himself I am sure.

Then again no center cheats as much on the dot as Jamie Benn!!!

barbogast 06-07-2016 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16453797)
I have no idea why he even brought that up. He does it himself I am sure.

Then again no center cheats as much on the dot as Jamie Benn!!!

This would be accurate if...well, you know.

kev87lads 06-07-2016 09:24 AM

This is dumb.

TMoore4075 06-07-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16453856)
This is dumb.

19 years ago today, my man....

TMoore4075 06-07-2016 09:48 AM

Sort of hockey related... Thinking my first 5K will be this September. The Red Wings are having one that goes along the Detroit River near JLA and the finish line is center ice and you get some free crap and can get autographs of players who are there that day. If you pay the larger registration fee you get 2 tickets to a Red Wings preseason game. Yeah it's preseason but the cost difference between the regular fee and the larger one is a lot less than you'd pay for a ticket, plus you get a couple extra things. I thought finishing at center ice would be bad ass. Also get tours of the dressing room and stuff.

barbogast 06-07-2016 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16453856)
This is dumb.

You could be like the cool kids and offer up some sweet Kessel memes.

Like this for example:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgNajfeWQAAHsNs.jpg

PS we'll take anything at this point, surely the Fat Kessel well is close to dry