Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

aeroshady 04-26-2016 06:20 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

My friend who is a huge Islanders fan just pointed out..."It has been so long since we won a series, that the last time we won was against the Penguins when Jaromir Jagr was playing for them!"

:lol:lol:lol:lol

barbogast 04-26-2016 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16388289)
My friend who is a huge Islanders fan just pointed out..."It has been so long since we won a series, that the last time we won was against the Penguins when Jaromir Jagr was playing for them!"

:lol:lol:lol:lol

They mentioned that in the post game show the other night. Jagr was on the ice for both of the last two NYI series wins, even though they were 23 years apart. Not sure which part of that is more amazing, Jagr or the Isles streak :lol

Dramageek 04-26-2016 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 16388019)
Congrats Blues Fans!

Can't be mad....other than that play by Gustafson....

Found out my baby is a boy today! So still a pretty damn good day!

Congrats, man! :thumbsup Great news.

MOWJO8185 04-26-2016 06:32 AM

Man it took me way too long to wind down last night. All season this team has felt different than the ones in years past, felt built to make a run... and then to give up a 3-1 lead just brought back all the demons for the fanbase. Just been an excruciating two days waiting for the puck to drop. And I almost got more nervous when we went up 2-0 early last night, because that's when the Hawks have dug deep and found a way to make it happen. It seems to be the story spin that we had the hockey gods on our side, and it's tough to argue - finally got the puck bounces we needed this series. Just so happy for this team. A lot of more casual fans around town are just relieved to have the first round monkey off their backs, and against the Blackhawks no less... but I don't think that gives this team enough credit for what they are capable of. They can really make a run at this thing, especially with Chicago and LA (two teams that have historically had our number) both out of it.

Sorry again to the Blackhawks fans. It was an amazing series and was a shame that we matched up first round because both teams are way better than a first round exit gives them credit for.

hailtopitt 04-26-2016 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrampledUnderw. (Post 16388056)
Idc how much I love the blues, watching games broadcasted from Scottrade Center is awful

it's the worst. seems like an easy fix too

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388294)
They mentioned that in the post game show the other night. Jagr was on the ice for both of the last two NYI series wins, even though they were 23 years apart. Not sure which part of that is more amazing, Jagr or the Isles streak :lol

Jagr more impressive...always Jagr

barbogast 04-26-2016 06:48 AM

I definitely agree St Louis' road to the Final is much easier with LA out. I could very much see St Louis coming out of the West now. I certainly like them over the Stars. Honestly I like them over any of the potential round 3 opponents.

West is a lot more interesting this year, that's for sure. I really hope Nashville wins.

jrkarger 04-26-2016 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16388343)

Effing Jagr and effing '93 :BANG

barbogast 04-26-2016 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16388385)

Yeah it must've really sucked only winning two Cups in a row

:rolleyes

hailtopitt 04-26-2016 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388390)

but still, you don't understand

'93 was EASILY the best Penguins team of that era and they completely melted down

it was awful

Dramageek 04-26-2016 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16388385)

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388390)

:lol Should've been 3!! That '93 team even won the President's trophy.

barbogast 04-26-2016 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16388396)

'93 was EASILY the best Penguins team of that era and they completely melted down

it was awful

No I get it. I just feel 0% bad for you that's all.

barbogast 04-26-2016 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16388405)
:lol Should've been 3!! That '93 team even won the President's trophy.

That's at least banner worthy. Something to be proud of.

salrx95 04-26-2016 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16388343)

Except the 37 straight playoff games without a goal. That's pretty bad. (Might be 36 or 38 but in that area)

Stat of the day I just read is that this is the first time ever no Canadian or original 6 are in the final 8.

jrkarger 04-26-2016 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388447)
That's at least banner worthy. Something to be proud of.

Caps fans would know.

I kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid.

There actually is a 93 Presidents Trophy banner at Consol. To quote a great former hockey coach, "I wish they'd take that one down."

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GS2ivE9pOs...s-one-loss.jpg

barbogast 04-26-2016 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16388457)
Caps fans would know.

I kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid.

There actually is a 93 Presidents Trophy banner at Consol. To quote a great former hockey coach, "I wish they'd take that one down."

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GS2ivE9pOs...s-one-loss.jpg

:lol no need for kidding. It's true. <3 banners

barbogast 04-26-2016 07:31 AM

Also, in case the thread missed it completely, Braden Schenn finally earned himself a hearing with DoPS for his latest and final shenanigan in this past series. Any suspension will carry into next year.

I know we briefly discussed his nonsense early in the series, but he delivered several questionable plays throughout it and I think I'd like to retract my statement that he is not a dirty player. I think that in fact, he is.

BeyondKnight 04-26-2016 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16388396)

it was awful

I think that was the first time I can really remember the utter devastation of a loss.

jrkarger 04-26-2016 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondKnight (Post 16388489)
I think that was the first time I can really remember the utter devastation of a loss.

I remember that and the '92 Pirates.

But the ones that I'll take with me to the grave are the '94 and '95 Steelers.

barbogast 04-26-2016 07:36 AM

Pittsburgh fans discussing the woes of Pittsburgh sports fandom.

:lol

Climb2safety 04-26-2016 07:45 AM

I really like the Caps chances verses the Penns because of the defensive matchup.

I'll take the Holtbeast over Murray all day and the Caps blueliners vs the Penns.

The Flyers would have been swept unless a goalie comes in and stands on his head vs his former team. I also think the Caps will out hit the Penns.

Bottom line, skill players are a wash so it will be defense and home ice and the Caps ftw.

salrx95 04-26-2016 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388506)

Let's just hope there no Cubs fans amongst the Hawks fans in here.

Most of my what ifs involving the islanders in the last 20 years revolve around bad Milbury deals.

Lcsulla 04-26-2016 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 16388065)
Thanks we are excited!

We hoped to announce it celebrating a win however it certainly helps to ease the sting of a loss.

Yeah, would have been better with a win but they will be right back in the mix next season. Crawford, Keith, Seabrook, Hjarlmarsson and TVR will still be anchoring the back end while Toews, Kane, Hossa, Panarin, Shaw and Tevavainen (who utterly failed to show up that series) and likely some others will still be there to provide potent offense. Any luck you can celabrate his first birthday with a Cup cake. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.MikeD (Post 16388083)
A bad thing about the blues advancing is the garbage camera angles in their building.
Otherwise, no complaints from me.
And, I hadn't refreshed in awhile, bit late to this train...

You mean the potato head who always seemed to block that one camera?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16388144)
I feel for Gustafsson. With the way the Hawks lean on their top D and hardly play the bottom 2, the kid was already probably squeezing his stick extra hard, scared to death of screwing up and playing even LESS minutes. And lo and behold...

Yeah, I was surprised that neither Svedberg, Erhoff or Rozi set foot on the ice last night. I know in a game seven you want your best guys for pure D on the ice a lot (TVR and Hjarlmarsson) and your blue line gunners (Keith and Seabrook) putting pucks on net but it just didn't work out last night. It has worked in the past but last night nothing really seemed to click.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16388146)
What's crazy is round 2 will start before round 1 is technically over, with the Isles and Lightning playing game 1 before the Ducks and Preds play game 7. Sure it's the same night and they're different conferences, but I don't think I've ever seen that.

That is odd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388185)
Sorry to the Hawks fans. Not sure any of us were expecting a first round exit, but that's the Central I guess. I am pretty happy for the Blues obviously.

Great series, tough exit for Chicago but the Blues just wanted it more last night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16388238)
I really hope Nashville finds a way to move on. How great would it be to have 3 teams left in the West who have never won the Cup?

Sharks will clobber them if they advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388282)
Just saw a clip of double posts. Wow.

No idea how that did not go in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 (Post 16388313)
Man it took me way too long to wind down last night. All season this team has felt different than the ones in years past, felt built to make a run... and then to give up a 3-1 lead just brought back all the demons for the fanbase. Just been an excruciating two days waiting for the puck to drop. And I almost got more nervous when we went up 2-0 early last night, because that's when the Hawks have dug deep and found a way to make it happen.

Honestly, even as the clock wound down and they pulled Crawford I was pretty confident they'd find the back of the net and force an OT - right up until you guys cleared it into our D zone with less then ten seconds left, then it set in that we were finished.

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16388453)
Stat of the day I just read is that this is the first time ever no Canadian or original 6 are in the final 8.

That is amazing and likely the reason I read that ratings were down 60% in Canada!

jrkarger 04-26-2016 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16388521)
I really like the Caps chances verses the Penns because of the defensive matchup.

I'll take the Holtbeast over Murray all day and the Caps blueliners vs the Penns.

The Flyers would have been swept unless a goalie comes in and stands on his head vs his former team. I also think the Caps will out hit the Penns.

Bottom line, skill players are a wash so it will be defense and home ice and the Caps ftw.

Dude, it's Pens with one 'n'.

Anyway, I'm not sure how you think the Cap's D is that much better than the Pens. The Pens won the season series and held Ovie to 0 points in five games. The Pens also won 2 of 3 in DC.

hailtopitt 04-26-2016 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388443)
No I get it. I just feel 0% bad for you that's all.

:lol fair enough

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16388453)
Except the 37 straight playoff games without a goal. That's pretty bad. (Might be 36 or 38 but in that area)

meh, Jagr still more impressive

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondKnight (Post 16388489)

was awful

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16388506)

i'm tellin' ya, once you get a taste of the glory, that's all you want

i'm hungry and the Cup is quite filling

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16388559)

Anyway, I'm not sure how you think the Cap's D is that much better than the Pens. The Pens won the season series and held Ovie to 0 points in five games. The Pens also won 2 of 3 in DC.

really don't think anyone is better or worse in this one. a truly evenly matched series coming up

as always, it'll come down to special teams and goaltending

hopefully the Pens can split the first 2 in DC and go to work at home. easier said than done. Caps are really fucking good.

Climb2safety 04-26-2016 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16388559)

Anyway, I'm not sure how you think the Cap's D is that much better than the Pens. The Pens won the season series and held Ovie to 0 points in five games.

Sorry for the extra n.

I personally toss out the regular season. For me it was even and isn't an indicator of what will happen here. I'm just making my prediction after watching and digesting round 1 and analyzing both teams.

barbogast 04-26-2016 08:06 AM

I guess my usual thought process applies when considering the upcoming series vs the Penns.

Are the Caps good enough to win? Oh yeah. Will they? No fucking clue.

I will say, I agree that the Caps are probably better on paper in most areas. They'll need a lot more from Justin Williams. He had a rough first round. However the second line overall played well I thought, the pucks will go in for them if they keep that up. The Penns are always a tough one though. It never goes well. Crosby will of course be huge and it will be awful and the Penns will get remarkable goaltending from whoever goes out there and blah blah blah.

But here's to hoping. The Caps are still a scary team. They might get it done.

salrx95 04-26-2016 08:08 AM

Annoyed that the islanders start tomorrow. Work until 9 every Wednesday and we could have used extra rest coming the b2b double ot games.

Dvr will be my friend tomorrow.

hailtopitt 04-26-2016 08:08 AM

Penguins are much deeper than the Caps right now. that's their advantage...they're rolling 4 lines and that is so fucking sexy. everyone is scoring

Caps will hit more though and will be much more effective than the Rangers at that.

unccrombie 04-26-2016 08:11 AM

rooting for the pens because local caps fans are the worst

barbogast 04-26-2016 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16388594)
Penguins are much deeper than the Caps right now. that's their advantage...they're rolling 4 lines and that is so fucking sexy. everyone is scoring

Caps will hit more though and will be much more effective than the Rangers at that.

Yeah that's the thing is the Rangers clearly weren't at their best for a lot of last series. I think it'll be harder for the Penns' depth to penetrate the Caps D. And while they may not be right now, the Caps definitely have the forward depth to score four lines deep. It didn't really happen against the Flyers but no one really scored at all in that series outside of games 2 and 3.