Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Climb2safety 04-29-2015 06:23 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Living in Denver through the Avs / Wings rivalry cultivated a healthy dislike for Detroit.

Go Tampa!

Rebecca De Mornay 04-29-2015 06:23 AM

#TimmyMelt

TMoore4075 04-29-2015 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15927914)
#TimmyMelt

You've never seen a game 7 so you wouldn't understand.

Really just pointing out the bullshit that is the NHL "player safety."

SirBobalew 04-29-2015 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BotheUndertakerFan (Post 15927802)
Boredom probably. New challenges are great.

Don't forget money. If Detroit offers him $3 mil a season and someone offers $5, he's gonna take a long, hard look at that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotAct (Post 15927868)
everything I've read says that if he does leave, he'll want to go to a team with a solid chance of going deep in the playoffs next season.

But, which teams fit that bill that currently have a HC vacancy?

Boston, if/once they fire Julien. And if they think they have a chance at landing Babcock, they'll fire him yesterday.

I've also heard that he'd leave for a team that he thinks could make it in 2-3 seasons. So he doesn't want to go through a complete rebuild, but that brings teams like Edmonton and San Jose into play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15927874)
If that were true, it's pretty much just Detroit. PIT might fire their coach but yesterday said no. If Johnston is somehow fired in the coming month or so, I think we'll know that Babs is the guy cause no reason to fire him if not.

Exactly. Same as with Boston. Do I believe Pitt when they say they're not firing Johnston? I actually do, with the one caveat that if they think they can get Babcock, Johnston is gone instantly.

I always thought that if the Pens wanted to make a serious run at Babcock, they should have let Bylsma coach the team one more season rather than bring in someone they intended to fire after one year. So keeping Johnston wouldn't surprise me at all.

It'll be interesting to see, especially with the outcome of the game tonight.

As an aside, the St. Louis Blues would be really smart to take a long, hard look at Bylsma.

SirBobalew 04-29-2015 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15927933)
You've never seen a game 7 so you wouldn't understand.

Really just pointing out the bullshit that is the NHL "player safety."

Yup. It's total BS. It's time to bring back the NHL Wheel of Justice.

Dramageek 04-29-2015 07:05 AM

I understand why the Pens fired Bylsma when they did. Regardless of what they said, I still want them to take a run at Babcock. I don't think they would say they are going to up and fire Johnston just a few days after the playoff loss. Also, Babcock has said he likes working with Sid, and Sid seems to like working with him. It'd be worth a shot. The organization needs a bit of a shot in the arm right now.

I doubt it'll actually happen, but we will see.

SirBobalew 04-29-2015 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 15927982)
I understand why the Pens fired Bylsma when they did. Regardless of what they said, I still want them to take a run at Babcock. I don't think they would say they are going to up and fire Johnston just a few days after the playoff loss. Also, Babcock has said he likes working with Sid, and Sid seems to like working with him. It'd be worth a shot. The organization needs a bit of a shot in the arm right now.

I wouldn't have expected them to say they were going to up and fire Johnston a few days after the playoffs, but nothing forced them to give him the vote of confidence they did either. That was the surprising part to me because of the whole Babcock subplot.

My point on the firing of Bylsma is that the Pens knew when Babcock would be available. And last year there were stories of coaches the Pens wanted turning them down (Desjardin, Green as an assistant to Johnston). Because, at least in part, those coaches knew that the Pens wanted Babcock, and didn't want to take a job with a one-year expiration date. So if they knew they were going to make a serious push at Babs last year, it just wasn't great to go through a whole coaching search then too.

Dramageek 04-29-2015 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15927995)
I wouldn't have expected them to say they were going to up and fire Johnston a few days after the playoffs, but nothing forced them to give him the vote of confidence they did either. That was the surprising part to me because of the whole Babcock subplot.

My point on the firing of Bylsma is that the Pens knew when Babcock would be available. And last year there were stories of coaches the Pens wanted turning them down (Desjardin, Green as an assistant to Johnston). Because, at least in part, those coaches knew that the Pens wanted Babcock, and didn't want to take a job with a one-year expiration date. So if they knew they were going to make a serious push at Babs last year, it just wasn't great to go through a whole coaching search then too.

This is all true. The organization handled last off-season very strangely. They also kept Bylsma hanging on until really close to the draft, and almost did not have a head coach in place for the draft. Very odd. Regardless of who's in place, they need to shore up their supporting cast for the core.

But enough about that, there's a Game 7 tonight.

TMoore4075 04-29-2015 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15927971)
Don't forget money. If Detroit offers him $3 mil a season and someone offers $5, he's gonna take a long, hard look at that.

Boston, if/once they fire Julien. And if they think they have a chance at landing Babcock, they'll fire him yesterday.

I've also heard that he'd leave for a team that he thinks could make it in 2-3 seasons. So he doesn't want to go through a complete rebuild, but that brings teams like Edmonton and San Jose into play.

Exactly. Same as with Boston. Do I believe Pitt when they say they're not firing Johnston? I actually do, with the one caveat that if they think they can get Babcock, Johnston is gone instantly.

I always thought that if the Pens wanted to make a serious run at Babcock, they should have let Bylsma coach the team one more season rather than bring in someone they intended to fire after one year. So keeping Johnston wouldn't surprise me at all.

It'll be interesting to see, especially with the outcome of the game tonight.

As an aside, the St. Louis Blues would be really smart to take a long, hard look at Bylsma.

Toronto could offer him more than anyone but...it's Toronto. Media is a pain and it'll be a while for them to clear off bad contracts and draft.

Also thought the same thing about Bylsma. As below, I understand why they did it at the time they did, but my thoughts would be, you know Babs MIGHT be available. Would Disco Dan be worse than having to beat the Sabres on the last day? No but I get why they felt they had to. Also looking at it now with all the coaches out there, they'd have a better one than Johnston.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 15927982)

I see it as possibility. My gut just feels like he's gone and I don't want him to be. Blashill will be the replacement and maybe he'll be good but...who knows. I go back to his comments a few months ago saying he didn't think they would be as good as they had been to that point. (challenging for the division title) That lead me to believe he didn't sign before the season cause he thought they were done. Kinda surprised he thought that cause I knew if Hank and Pavel were even somewhat healthier and the team in general too, along with Howie back to his all-star self (he was until he got hurt) they'd be in the playoffs easily and had they not struggled down the stretch they were.

TMoore4075 04-29-2015 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 15928002)
This is all true. The organization handled last off-season very strangely. They also kept Bylsma hanging on until really close to the draft, and almost did not have a head coach in place for the draft. Very odd. Regardless of who's in place, they need to shore up their supporting cast for the core.

But enough about that, there's a Game 7 tonight.

Well to the first part, Bill Peters said no to them and went to Carolina. Not sure what that says about things there.

Game 7. Getting drunk tonight.

TMoore4075 04-29-2015 07:53 AM

Wardo saying Wings might be down another veteran dman. Could be Ericsson, he's been missing practice. So maybe the top 2 d-men out? Yay.

Rebecca De Mornay 04-29-2015 07:57 AM

well the good news for wings fans is that this series has been totally upside down. Using logic to pick each game has been wrong every time so far.

hailtopitt 04-29-2015 08:00 AM

there's no question the Pens really want Babcock

but the reason they fired Bylsma had nothing to do with Babcock...they had to fire Bylsma to save face. They should've fired him in 2013, honestly. would be in much better shape right now and Johnston wouldn't be looking over his shoulder like he is now.

aeroshady 04-29-2015 08:06 AM

I don't know why I keep looking at ESPN's coverage. They actually just said that Holtby is as good as Lundqvist.....

SirBobalew 04-29-2015 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15928095)
I don't know why I keep looking at ESPN's coverage. They actually just said that Holtby is as good as Lundqvist.....

:lol. Oh wait, they're serious. Let me laugh even harder. :lol :lol :lol :lol

aeroshady 04-29-2015 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15928098)
:lol. Oh wait, they're serious. Let me laugh even harder. :lol :lol :lol :lol

It is going to be a good series and while I like the Rangers to win it, I wouldn't be surprised if the Caps do. That said...lets not say things that are just dumb. :lol

TMoore4075 04-29-2015 08:40 AM

Sounds like it's Zidlicky who might be out. Not AS bad, but still not good. I hope I'm wrong, but I think it's done for my boys. Positive news is Tatar got going last game so I guess you don't know. Mrazek needs to be almost flawless and the captain needs to get going. Well...Wings captain. Stamkos can still keep playing like his team didn't make the playoffs.

TMoore4075 04-29-2015 08:42 AM

I hate all the sportsnation shit because many of them can't write for shit and pass off their fan opinion as fact but this is spot on as to why it's such a joke for the NHL.

http://detroitsportsnation.com/detro...l%20suspension

Harrycaray 04-29-2015 09:16 AM

Sadly i feel likes its done for the wings... Wings passes have been too sloppy. Too many tried forced passes through guys that just doesnt work. They need to keep grinding and wear tampa down. Thats what the red wings do best. Got to do a better job of containing johnson.

Zidlicky started strong but has made terrible plays lately. This pussy slapping shit at the puck they seem to be doing alot of lately is getting old. Even Datsyuk and nyquist are over skating and mishandling the puck, slapping at it rather than calmly moving it.

I guess weve just been spoiled in Detroit with how theyve been for 20+ years. Hopefully another 20 more with tatar, nyquist, mantha, larkin, smith, marchenko.. and most important babs!

I think hed be crazy to leave Det. Granted im biased but with the existing core and the guys in the system. Well always be competitive. Hell our two best players arent top 10 picks like crosby malkin toews or kane. No they are late round draft picks datsyuk and zetterberg. What holland does with late round draft picks is insane.

Well, sorry to rant..

Go Wings!! Z should have a huge day tonight!

lockman21 04-29-2015 09:37 AM

:lol @ everyone telling Becks he wouldn't understand

TMoore4075 04-29-2015 09:52 AM

It's Babs bday plus he really wants a sandwich from a deli in Montreal. Come on, give the guy a gift.

Rebecca De Mornay 04-29-2015 09:55 AM

guys i saw an OT winner last year and got all the way to game 6.
im not a virgin.

TMoore4075 04-29-2015 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15928289)
im not a virgin.

3rd base is still a virgin...technically. ;)

Harrycaray 04-29-2015 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15928289)
im not a virgin.

Attachment 68393
I remember my first beer

Rebecca De Mornay 04-29-2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrycaray (Post 15928395)
Attachment 68393
I remember my first beer

:lol great reference

Climb2safety 04-29-2015 12:56 PM

Congrats blackhawk fans, on hockey yeah but also on the food selection at midway. It might be the best food selection at an airport I've ever seen.

TMoore4075 04-29-2015 01:25 PM

@Bill_Roose:
"NBC announcers for the second-round series involving Montreal and either the #RedWings or Lightning will be Kenny Albert and Joe Micheletti."

Well it's official. I want the Wings to lose.

SirBobalew 04-29-2015 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15928551)
@Bill_Roose:
"NBC announcers for the second-round series involving Montreal and either the #RedWings or Lightning will be Kenny Albert and Joe Micheletti."

:lol

Can we bring back Gary Thorne and Bill Clement? Or better yet, JD?

TMoore4075 04-29-2015 03:04 PM

Well they have Strader and Emrick and that's ok. I don't know what TSN has but Cuthbert and Gord Miller are good. Why they think Kenny is good? I dunno.

barbogast 04-29-2015 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15928551)
@Bill_Roose:

Oh man that really does blow. Kenny Albert is literally the worst. Micheletti is fine but Albert is dreadful to listen to. I'm hoping Caps/Rangers is enough of a draw to get Doc for the whole series. I would think it would be the case.