Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

hailtopitt 04-16-2015 07:14 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

no suspension for Subban

salrx95 04-16-2015 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socopithy (Post 15911693)
Something to be said too about the Isles locking down Ovechkin.

He still had his chances and I think 8 shots but mostly contained and without Hamonic so it was surprising how well the D played. IT really sounds like his knee is not good and we won't see him anytime soon.

TMoore4075 04-16-2015 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15911700)
no suspension for Subban

Shit is gonna go down. Cameron said as much, which was stupid but ya know.

hailtopitt 04-16-2015 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15911721)
Shit is gonna go down. Cameron said as much, which was stupid but ya know.

:lol ahhhh it's truly playoff season now

TMoore4075 04-16-2015 07:28 AM

Now if anything happens to PK, that is vicious, will end up being a suspension. You keep your mouth shut then it's probably a fine or something but you don't say "we're gonna injure the guy."

jrkarger 04-16-2015 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 15911645)
I hate to agree with this re: The Pens, but I do. Montreal in 2010, Philly in 2012, Boston in 2013, and the Rangers last year. Just mind boggling given the talent on those teams. Pardon me while I sound whiny and entitled for a second, but if the Crosby/Malkin era Pens can only win the one Stanley Cup, it will feel like a bit of a waste, particularly with other young and talented teams like the Hawks and Kings getting it done more than once. Those stars were brought in to win several cups. And they just aren't getting it done lately. Look at the Hawks OT goal last night: Duncan Keith from Toews and Hossa. The stars getting it done. Crosby and Malkin need to do that much more than they have recently.

/rant

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15911658)
agree with every word :thumbsup

:thumbsup seconded. The other day Madden called Crosby the Peyton Manning of the NHL. With the Pen's post 2009 playoff record it's hard to argue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 15911687)
It's not impossible to deal with that, though. Didn't the Hawks have to blow it up after 2010 due to the cap? It took like a year or two, but they put together another great supporting cast for their core. The Pens haven't been able to do that as well, or when they do, they misuse the players. See Iginla, Jarome.

With the Manning comment said, the Pens are definitely guilty of misusing the players they have had (Bylsma should've been canned for playing Iggy at LW after '13) and not assembling better people around the core four.

You mentioned the Hawks last night... line of Towes Hossa & Keith >>>>>> Crosby Horqvist and Daniel effffing Winnick.

hailtopitt 04-16-2015 07:34 AM

Daniel Winnik on the top line :lol this fucking team

TMoore4075 04-16-2015 07:43 AM

Ready for tonight. Wings are good enough to win it, when they play like it. Wings don't have a Winnik on the top line, so there's that.

Bron Yr Aur 04-16-2015 07:49 AM

Have a feeling the Hawks are gonna look a bit like the Pens over the next two years due to the huge chunk of cap taken by Kane & Toews.

Pens were also doing well until they got decimated by injuries....and any time you don't have your best defenseman you can't really expect to win.

hailtopitt 04-16-2015 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15911772)
Ready for tonight. Wings are good enough to win it, when they play like it. Wings don't have a Winnik on the top line, so there's that.

:lol FML

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15911784)
Have a feeling the Hawks are gonna look a bit like the Pens over the next two years due to the huge chunk of cap taken by Kane & Toews.

Pens were also doing well until they got decimated by injuries....and any time you don't have your best defenseman you can't really expect to win.

it doesn't stop there. Pens are missing 4 of their top 5 D-men technically

Letang
Maata
Ehrhoff
Pouliot

although the top 3 listed above are the real killers, Pouliot not so much

lockman21 04-16-2015 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15911689)
These are good points.

HOWEVER, I think part of the problem many fans have with Q and Bowman is that the things they say seem a little ass-backwards. Yes the Hawks gave up the fewest goals all year which obviously has something to do with the defensemen (but mostly Keith / Seabrook / Hammer who play the toughest minutes of course). However they were in the bottom third in terms of even-strength shots allowed. So really I think the majority of the credit needs to be given to Crawford who had an excellent year (particularly at even strength).

But instead we get Q pulling Crawford early (fine if it's to send a message) but being coy about who is starting Game 2 after the game....

The answer is always Crawford over some random guy who has played about 15 NHL games.

Are you suggesting Q shouldn't have pulled Crawford? Because he absolutely made the right call there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15911700)
no suspension for Subban

I don't think he should have one, either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15911659)
I remember the talk of dynasty after 2009 with the Pens. Here we are 6 years later with nothing else to show for it. It was hard not to think of it with Crosby at 21 then and MAF last second save. Hawks and Kings might be the closest we get to a dynasty. Cap catches up, you shed salary and remodel after that and try to go again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 15911687)
It's not impossible to deal with that, though. Didn't the Hawks have to blow it up after 2010 due to the cap? It took like a year or two, but they put together another great supporting cast for their core. The Pens haven't been able to do that as well, or when they do, they misuse the players. See Iginla, Jarome.

Hawks blew it up, yes, but 2011 was freakin' rough. Top line most of the year featured Tomas Kopecky. Second line was Patrick Kane and whoever you could plug in there with him. Bowman tried his best with some plug and play 1 year rentals on veterans too. Anyone remember Andrew Brunette with the Hawks? Holy shit that was brutal.

But anyway, it's certainly possible to build a perennial winner in today's age. Hawks have proven that, you just need to build the right way. Having a starting combo of one of the best all around players in the league, one of the best defensemen in the league, and arguably the most skilled player in the league certainly doesn't hurt.

Rebecca De Mornay 04-16-2015 08:11 AM

i was suprised they gave subban the gate for that last night.

jrkarger 04-16-2015 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15911772)

:lol :lol :lol

fonzz41 04-16-2015 08:13 AM

Biggest heartbreak of my life when I noticed that Game Center doesn't broadcast any of the playoff games. I wept.

unccrombie 04-16-2015 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15911820)

yeah me too.
maybe a 4-5, but that's it

TMoore4075 04-16-2015 08:16 AM

If Abdelkaer doesn't play:

Helm-Datsyuk-Zetterberg
Nyquist-Sheahan-Tatar
Weiss-Andersson-Jurco
Miller-Glendening-Ferraro

If he does:
Helm-Datsyuk-Tatar
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Abdelkaer
Weiss/Andersson -Sheahan-Jurco

That is totally good enough to win and I see them losing the series. Drives me nuts. Just play like you are capable. Hell, play like you played the Lightning when I was there about 3 weeks ago. Wasn't even close.

Rebecca De Mornay 04-16-2015 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15911826)
yeah me too.

you're the only one that responds to me in this thread bud.

<3

well actually tim responded me once to let me know that i was wrong about something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15911827)
If Abdelkaer doesn't play:

Helm-Datsyuk-Zetterberg
Nyquist-Sheahan-Tatar
Weiss-Andersson-Jurco

If he does:
Helm-Datsyuk-Tatar
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Abdelkaer
Weiss/Andersson -Sheahan-Jurco

That is totally good enough to win and I see them losing the series. Drives me nuts. Just play like you are capable. Hell, play like you played the Lightning when I was there about 3 weeks ago. Wasn't even close.

i think the wings will give them a tough time.
these high powered offenses don't always translate well come playoff time.

Bron Yr Aur 04-16-2015 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15911817)
Are you suggesting Q shouldn't have pulled Crawford? Because he absolutely made the right call there.

Huh? Did you read my post? Yes I agree that it's a fine move to send a message. That Q laid the blame on Crawford for some of the goals that went in (in postgame) without once mentioning Rozy's fuckup is hilarious.

Quote:

I don't think he should have one, either.
Seriously. That was a dive if I've ever seen one. PK Subban is good at hockey and awesome to watch. Of course when players who "play the right way" do dirty stuff in the playoffs, folks seem to have a pretty short memory. But Subban gives a soft slash and everyone cries for a suspension.

Quote:

Hawks blew it up, yes, but 2011 was freakin' rough. Top line most of the year featured Tomas Kopecky. Second line was Patrick Kane and whoever you could plug in there with him. Bowman tried his best with some plug and play 1 year rentals on veterans too. Anyone remember Andrew Brunette with the Hawks? Holy shit that was brutal.

But anyway, it's certainly possible to build a perennial winner in today's age. Hawks have proven that, you just need to build the right way. Having a starting combo of one of the best all around players in the league, one of the best defensemen in the league, and arguably the most skilled player in the league certainly doesn't hurt.
I think it would be disingenuous to say that the Pens haven't really done that. They are always contending and you would definitely have to say they have been a bit unlucky with all of the injuries to Sidney & Letang over the years.

Very difficult to build a perennial contender without being absolutely dreadful for a few years in order to get a couple franchise anchors.

kev87lads 04-16-2015 08:25 AM

I keep looking on the schedule and can't find when the Flyers play their first game. Any help?

TMoore4075 04-16-2015 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15911820)

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15911826)
yeah me too.

I had heard it last night and then read just now from James Mirtle's article "the NHL rulebook requires a major and a game misconduct in the case of a slash causing an injury, the call was a tough one but it was by the book."

Didn't know that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15911832)
Seriously. That was a dive if I've ever seen one. PK Subban is good at hockey and awesome to watch. Of course when players who "play the right way" do dirty stuff in the playoffs, folks seem to have a pretty short memory. But Subban gives a soft slash and everyone cries for a suspension.

Stone was in and out of the locker room a couple of times after that. I don't think he was faking it. You don't take the (potential) rookie of the year off the ice a few times if he's faking it.

Subban choked up on the damn stick and swung baseball style at an exposed area. It ain't gonna tickle.

Edit: Ottawa Senators @Senators:
"Injury update: #Sens Mark Stone has suffered a microfracture of his right wrist & his availability for the series is unknown at this time."

Totally faking it. Mind games with the Habs is all.

kev87lads 04-16-2015 08:34 AM

I thought the Subban thing was bad but double minor worthy and not necessarily major worthy. Maybe major. But I had read that rule last night too, about the injury making it a major. I think that rule needs tweaking....

But he was definitely being malicious. The major to me would be enough. No suspension.

lockman21 04-16-2015 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15911832)

Have you ever been slashed on the wrists? That shit fucking hurts. You can break your leg THROUGH shin pads on a slash. That was no dive.

Still shouldn't have been a suspension, though.

lockman21 04-16-2015 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15911845)
I had heard it last night and then read just now from James Mirtle's article "the NHL rulebook requires a major and a game misconduct in the case of a slash causing an injury, the call was a tough one but it was by the book."

Didn't know that.

Stone was in and out of the locker room a couple of times after that. I don't think he was faking it. You don't take the (potential) rookie of the year off the ice a few times if he's faking it.

Subban choked up on the damn stick and swung baseball style at an exposed area. It ain't gonna tickle.

Edit: Ottawa Senators @Senators:
"Injury update: #Sens Mark Stone has suffered a microfracture of his right wrist & his availability for the series is unknown at this time."

Totally faking it. Mind games with the Habs is all.

What a fucking diver. Suspend Stone instead.

unccrombie 04-16-2015 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15911829)
you're the only one that responds to me in this thread bud.

<3

well actually tim responded me once to let me know that i was wrong about something.

big fan of your small establishment, and also your blue jackets

Bron Yr Aur 04-16-2015 08:40 AM

Lol welp I retract what I said. Didn't look like he swung too hard to me but yeah I was wrong.

Rebecca De Mornay 04-16-2015 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15911857)
big fan of your small establishment, and also your blue jackets

next year.
going to at least the ECF.

Roose13 04-16-2015 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 15911645)
I hate to agree with this re: The Pens, but I do. Montreal in 2010, Philly in 2012, Boston in 2013, and the Rangers last year. Just mind boggling given the talent on those teams. Pardon me while I sound whiny and entitled for a second, but if the Crosby/Malkin era Pens can only win the one Stanley Cup, it will feel like a bit of a waste, particularly with other young and talented teams like the Hawks and Kings getting it done more than once. Those stars were brought in to win several cups. And they just aren't getting it done lately. Look at the Hawks OT goal last night: Duncan Keith from Toews and Hossa. The stars getting it done. Crosby and Malkin need to do that much more than they have recently.

/rant

Agreed. Would be as big a waste as when the 90's Atlanta Braves managed one World Series with that incredible rotation and a four-team playoff system.

lockman21 04-16-2015 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15911861)
Lol welp I retract what I said. Didn't look like he swung too hard to me but yeah I was wrong.

You'd be surprised how bad that shit fucking hurts even swinging at 20%

I'd rather line up to block a Brent Seabrook slap shot than get slashed.

I think. Maybe. It's a tough choice.

Rebecca De Mornay 04-16-2015 08:50 AM

i have never seen my team with a professional hockey or football championship.

i don't want to hear people whine about only winning one stanley cup.

TMoore4075 04-16-2015 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15911881)
i have never seen my team with a professional hockey or football championship.

i don't want to hear people whine about only winning one stanley cup.

I'd love to see a football and baseball one. I think the Tigers (even at 8-1) might be past their window of winning it all. Lions, I ain't holding my breath but this town would go nuts. I've seen 4 Cups and technically 3 NBA championships but only watched 1 of them.

Hockey is still the best championship by far.