Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

barbogast 01-29-2015 12:05 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15793211)
Wait didn't you want him traded this offseason? :lol

Of course there will always be folks who would prefer to have a team full of "hard working gritty players" instead of elite talent and scorers.

:rolleyes

Ovie's done a total 180 this year. I've said all season the change is big and noticeable, even when they were losing at the beginning.

It's never been a question of raw goal amount, it's how those goals are achieved. In addition to blasting one timers from the Ovie spot, he's scoring goals by using his size in front of the goal, rebounds, tips, etc, creating offense instead of waiting for plays to come to him. Furthermore, he's completely overhauled his defensive game. Which I've also been saying all season. And that's really been the problem and why people are so sour on him. His commitment to detail in the d zone has been profound. To use your phrase, he's become a hard working gritty player. He moves his feet, blocks shots (in a smart, selective manner), digs in the corners and plays below the goal line. I kinda keep waiting for it to go back to the old Ovie but so far, it hasn't.

So yes, at this time I would prefer the Caps keep Ovechkin. We'll see what happens when it really counts, but for now I'll enjoy it while he continues to impress me. My skepticism towards him is well documented.

Good try though.

fonzz41 01-29-2015 12:16 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15793279)
:rolleyes

Ovie's done a total 180 this year. I've said all season the change is big and noticeable, even when they were losing at the beginning.

It's never been a question of raw goal amount, it's how those goals are achieved. In addition to blasting one timers from the Ovie spot, he's scoring goals by using his size in front of the goal, rebounds, tips, etc, creating offense instead of waiting for plays to come to him. Furthermore, he's completely overhauled his defensive game. Which I've also been saying all season. And that's really been the problem and why people are so sour on him. His commitment to detail in the d zone has been profound. To use your phrase, he's become a hard working gritty player. He moves his feet, blocks shots (in a smart, selective manner), digs in the corners and plays below the goal line. I kinda keep waiting for it to go back to the old Ovie but so far, it hasn't.

So yes, at this time I would prefer the Caps keep Ovechkin. We'll see what happens when it really counts, but for now I'll enjoy it while he continues to impress me. My skepticism towards him is well documented.

Good try though.

Like I mentioned to you before, I haven't watched a ton of Caps games this season. So if anyone besides you had said this to me, I would never have believed them. But I trust you, so if you say he's playing that well, I'll buy it (is it ok if I buy it just a teensy bit skeptically though?).

And frankly, I'm glad. I've given him such a hard time over the course of his career, but it's all because I hate to see such talent be displayed in such a one dimensional manner. I love the highlight reel goals, but I hate the floating. A complete game being played by a player of Ovechkin's talent? Almost unheard of. And the fact that he's able to still lead the league in goals while doing it is hopefully incentive to keep it up.

I will echo your sentiments in being slightly skeptical and sorta "waiting" for the old Ovie to resurface, but I also have no problem giving him all the kudos in the world if he's made a lasting adjustment to his game.

Rebecca De Mornay 01-29-2015 12:19 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
i've watched ovie play in person 2-3 times this year.

ill agree with barbogast he looks like a different player. especially compared to last year when he put up a -11 over 3 games at nationwide :lol
i still notice some of the old tendencies when the caps are losing though, he floats a lot more at the top of the D-Zone

barbogast 01-29-2015 01:06 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15793308)
Like I mentioned to you before, I haven't watched a ton of Caps games this season. So if anyone besides you had said this to me, I would never have believed them. But I trust you, so if you say he's playing that well, I'll buy it (is it ok if I buy it just a teensy bit skeptically though?).

And frankly, I'm glad. I've given him such a hard time over the course of his career, but it's all because I hate to see such talent be displayed in such a one dimensional manner. I love the highlight reel goals, but I hate the floating. A complete game being played by a player of Ovechkin's talent? Almost unheard of. And the fact that he's able to still lead the league in goals while doing it is hopefully incentive to keep it up.

I will echo your sentiments in being slightly skeptical and sorta "waiting" for the old Ovie to resurface, but I also have no problem giving him all the kudos in the world if he's made a lasting adjustment to his game.

It's absolutely ok to be skeptical about it. If I hadn't actually seen it like I have this year I wouldn't believe it either. The thing is it was instantly noticeable from game 1, and even when they were struggling back in late October and November, his effort level never diminished. So I'm still curious about what will happen should the team get to the playoffs, but so far I can't complain in any way about him this year. And I would if I could.

I agree I think it's important that has goal production has remained steady because it proves that he can still score at the same rate, except when he plays the way he has been, the team is really quite effective. The other important point is that it has a domino effect where now everyone on the teams executes well, including the other usual suspect Mike Green. Ovie has been an actual leader this year, and it's shown in the results.

It's all Barry Trotz.

fonzz41 01-29-2015 01:17 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15793479)
It's absolutely ok to be skeptical about it. If I hadn't actually seen it like I have this year I wouldn't believe it either. The thing is it was instantly noticeable from game 1, and even when they were struggling back in late October and November, his effort level never diminished. So I'm still curious about what will happen should the team get to the playoffs, but so far I can't complain in any way about him this year. And I would if I could.

I agree I think it's important that has goal production has remained steady because it proves that he can still score at the same rate, except when he plays the way he has been, the team is really quite effective. The other important point is that it has a domino effect where now everyone on the teams executes well, including the other usual suspect Mike Green. Ovie has been an actual leader this year, and it's shown in the results.

It's all Barry Trotz.

This is a knock we've made on Ovie numerous times here as well. How could he be an effective leader playing the way he was? This is further evidence that it works.

All praise Barry.

~Crashintome89~ 01-29-2015 05:11 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15792923)
any panthers fans in here?

you guys are going DOWN tonight


:lol :lol :lol

But seriously, Getting Bobby Lou was huge for them. I'm actually wondering if they pick up Richards.

TMoore4075 01-29-2015 06:05 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Let's go Wings!....and Rangers!...in regulation.

aeroshady 01-29-2015 07:20 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15794216)
Let's go Wings!....and Rangers!...in regulation.

:thumbsup Can't dislike this post!

jackisback24 01-29-2015 09:35 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Milan always seems to have the empty netter.

kev87lads 01-29-2015 10:51 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15794216)
Let's go Wings!....and Rangers!...in regulation.

Doh-eth!!!!

lockman21 01-29-2015 11:44 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
:lol :lol :lol http://streamable.com/e1e

Solid start to the 3rd by Toronto. :lol

~Crashintome89~ 01-30-2015 02:07 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
"really economical in goal--except for that."

unccrombie 01-30-2015 07:53 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15794216)
Let's go Wings!....and Rangers!...in regulation.

Hank's goal, yiiiiiiiiiiiiikes

TMoore4075 01-30-2015 08:02 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15794838)
Hank's goal, yiiiiiiiiiiiiikes

Ugly for both teams last night....eeesh.

fonzz41 01-30-2015 10:24 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Matty likeyed JT's goal last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mf8...-ts=1422579428

unccrombie 01-30-2015 10:32 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15794849)
Ugly for both teams last night....eeesh.

i thought it was a great game
some great chances and great saves on both sides

truth be told, that inconclusive goal should have won it for the Habs

TMoore4075 01-30-2015 10:57 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15795167)
i thought it was a great game
some great chances and great saves on both sides

truth be told, that inconclusive goal should have won it for the Habs

They didn't help me so it's ugly. lol

Alazais 01-30-2015 11:49 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I'm actually okay Toronto is getting destroyed every night. If we plummet to a top 4 pick we may have a good opportunity to rebuild a bit and get a huge talent. if we are worst 4 we have a chance to upgrade to first overall. Imagine? Oh that'd be magical. But it's Toronto. We have no luck..

lockman21 01-30-2015 12:23 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
As long as Dion Phaneuf wears the "C" with that ridiculous cap hit, the Leafs don't stand much of a chance.

lockman21 01-31-2015 10:57 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
If Patrick Kane keeps this up, he's going to have to be a Hart finalist. This guy is playing unreal hockey. Amazing what adding a good 2C can do.

lockman21 01-31-2015 11:50 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I'm going to take a second to write a little blurb on Patrick Kane, because this guy has become one of the top 3 players in the NHL (with Crosby and Stamkos). The career progression he has made has been nothing short of incredible to watch.

Watch this first goal from last night:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...14020726-430-h

I mean, that is a SNIPE. He loads that puck up at full speed, picks his corner, and goes crossbar down. I mean, that shot to me is simply amazing. At full speed to get that kind of release that accurately that quickly. Holy shit.

I think for years everyone knew that Patrick Kane had special talent, but between off-ice issues and sometimes trying to do too much on the ice, he kind of felt like he wasn't living up to his full potential (even though his production was still top 20 in the league). He always felt like a guy that could win any award out there (minus maybe the Selke). He's putting it all together now. Defense is leading to offense, and his offensive production is quietly 2nd best in the league. 56 points is 2nd only to Voracek, and 25 goals 5th in the league. He's playing great in all three zones, and has emerged as a vocal leader for the team as well.

I know some people around here don't like him or his personality, but the guy is truly a once-in-a-generation talent, and it is such a joy to watch him grow up and become this player.

TMoore4075 01-31-2015 01:52 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Watching the Wings pregame and they said Hamonic is doing his meeting kids thing after today's game in Detroit and is meeting with a metro Detroit kid who losses a parent. That's pretty cool.

barbogast 01-31-2015 02:27 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Carey Price currently having an unreal afternoon against the Caps. 4 or 5 truly top level saves.

barbogast 01-31-2015 02:30 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15796564)
I'm going to take a second to write a little blurb on Patrick Kane, because this guy has become one of the top 3 players in the NHL (with Crosby and Stamkos). The career progression he has made has been nothing short of incredible to watch.

Watch this first goal from last night:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...14020726-430-h

I mean, that is a SNIPE. He loads that puck up at full speed, picks his corner, and goes crossbar down. I mean, that shot to me is simply amazing. At full speed to get that kind of release that accurately that quickly. Holy shit.

I think for years everyone knew that Patrick Kane had special talent, but between off-ice issues and sometimes trying to do too much on the ice, he kind of felt like he wasn't living up to his full potential (even though his production was still top 20 in the league). He always felt like a guy that could win any award out there (minus maybe the Selke). He's putting it all together now. Defense is leading to offense, and his offensive production is quietly 2nd best in the league. 56 points is 2nd only to Voracek, and 25 goals 5th in the league. He's playing great in all three zones, and has emerged as a vocal leader for the team as well.

I know some people around here don't like him or his personality, but the guy is truly a once-in-a-generation talent, and it is such a joy to watch him grow up and become this player.

It does seem as if he's producing at a less flashy yet more effective level this year. I've noticed that the few times I've watched the Blackhawks this year. He's seemed like a much more mature player.

barbogast 01-31-2015 03:33 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
DAMN good 0-0 game

TMoore4075 01-31-2015 03:38 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Fuck you Caps. Can't do anything right.

barbogast 01-31-2015 03:40 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Unbelievable game though. Hurts to lose that one

salrx95 01-31-2015 09:43 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15796632)
Watching the Wings pregame and they said Hamonic is doing his meeting kids thing after today's game in Detroit and is meeting with a metro Detroit kid who losses a parent. That's pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing that. Great to hear.

We stunk today. Watched it tonight after work. Looked like we were skating in mud. Had no jump and team doesn't play well when Johnson is in net. First slump of season coming??

fonzz41 01-31-2015 10:45 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
A co-worker who's not much of a hockey fan was asking me who the best American player in the NHL was right now. My answer was immediately Patty Kane.

dmbetc 02-01-2015 01:22 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
"@punkrosette: Antti Niemi, who wears 31, is 31 years old, and just made 31 saves for his 31st career shutout on January 31"


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.