Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Is Big Whiskey getting better & better for anyone? (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=301583)

Panther41 05-17-2011 09:00 AM

Is Big Whiskey getting better & better for anyone?

2011 and I am loving this album more and more every time I listen to it. If this was the last album they ever released, I could be happy--though I deeply hope they'll go another round with Mr. Cavallo at the helm.

Today I was singing FTWII to myself, and thinking about just how brilliant those lyrics are. Does anyone remember a quote from Dave around the time of Some Devil, where he was talking about how excited he was when he figured out the last verse to Gravedigger? I have to imagine he had a similar sense of excitement when he wrote FTWII, because there is just so much going on in that song. The scenes it creates in my imagination are very vivid, with all the little contradictions he points out through the lyrics.

And I mean, come on... LITHOG is one of the most beautiful songs they've ever recorded. :)

In case there's any confusion, there is no sarcasm in this post.

So come on, folks--break out your Big Whiskey this summer and tell us how ya love it! :thumbsup

NCAA1981 05-17-2011 12:05 PM

Re: Is Big Whiskey getting better & better for anyone?

I actually just busted out this album the other day, for the first time in a long time. It's important for me to point out that I was never, at any point, a Big Whiskey hater. And a couple of years later, I am still really digging it. For me, it's one of the more listenable studio efforts from the band. UTTAD gets regular rotation for me, but Crash and BTCS aren't quite as fulfilling (I love their material live, but the studio cuts just don't have as much life). I think Big Whiskey, however, is recorded as though it were live. In many instances, in fact, I think the studio cuts are stronger than any live takes I've heard (Shake Me, Seven, Alligator, Why I Am). After the severe album drought we saw for most of the 00's from DMB, Big Whiskey was a very nice departure from the drab shit. Most of it isn't as lyrically or musically profound as the what we got from the Big 3, but I find it very easy to enjoy it.

I actually didn't mind Everyday when it was first released, but a year or so later it was collecting dust on the shelf, never to be played again. I don't think I ever purchased Stand Up. And Busted Stuff, for me, just never hit the spot. I found it generally unlistenable in comparison to the LWS. But, happily, Big Whiskey stands well on its own as a pretty good album some years later.

timothk 05-17-2011 03:17 PM

To quote Sir Paul and the Beatles, it's getting better. I loved the album when it came out and honestly the Hands of God solos that Jeff's cranked out have made this a special album for me. I remember playing it while I was in New Orleans after it came out and I have very vivid memories of walking around Decatur St. hearing Seven :)

rickyh24 05-17-2011 03:31 PM

Can't even remember the last time I listened to this album. I listened to Alligator Pie on the way home from work today but other than that it doesn't really interest me much anymore.

lockman21 05-17-2011 04:03 PM

I tried giving this disc a spin the other day for the first time in probably a year or so.

Turned it off pretty quick. Baby Blue is the only track I still listen to from the studio album.

manderso 05-17-2011 04:20 PM

Shitty album. Still just as horrible as the day Dave shat it out. The only good thing about it is that it makes me appreciate Everyday.

kittensXLI 05-17-2011 05:30 PM

Alligator Pie and Seven are the only two that I've listened to in months and months. And I like Baby Blue and LITHOG but for whatever reason don't want to hear them.

No, BW isn't getting better.

btpeters 05-17-2011 06:37 PM

Not better and better. But its still good. No Big 3 or BS/LWS, but that doesn't make it bad either. Some people just don't get that. Not every hater falls into this category, but some people have a hard time discerning playcount from song or album quality.

:lol at folks who "haven't listened in a while and just couldn't take it after a few tracks"

canes101190 05-17-2011 06:39 PM

I didn't know the music on the record changed as time went on. That theory is always one that escapes me.

ShotgunDMB 05-17-2011 08:01 PM

I don't think it's amazing or horrible. Just kind of average.

proppenator 05-17-2011 08:37 PM

I really enjoy most of the songs on this album. SMLAM, FTWII, LITHOG, WIA, Squirm, Seven, Alligator Pie studio cuts still get regular play on my ipod.

lockman21 05-17-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btpeters (Post 12593954)
:lol at folks who "haven't listened in a while and just couldn't take it after a few tracks"

Why? Because we have a different opinion than you? I think the album sucks.

Panther41 05-19-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canes101190 (Post 12593964)
I didn't know the music on the record changed as time went on. That theory is always one that escapes me.

1. Don't be so literal. :rolleyes
2. My thread title was crafted as a response to the other thread that was living around here previously, which asked if BWGK was getting worse for anyone.

And to the person who says it just makes them appreciate "Everyday" more... seriously? I mean... seriously?

I can honestly say I don't think of DMB as having a "Big 3" anymore. This album stands up tall beside them. It's the "Big 4" now, for me anyway.

canes101190 05-19-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther41 (Post 12600844)
1. Don't be so literal. :rolleyes
2. My thread title was crafted as a response to the other thread that was living around here previously, which asked if BWGK was getting worse for anyone.

And to the person who says it just makes them appreciate "Everyday" more... seriously? I mean... seriously?

I can honestly say I don't think of DMB as having a "Big 3" anymore. This album stands up tall beside them. It's the "Big 4" now, for me anyway.

I was half-joking. I tend to avoid Big Whiskey threads anyway, at least the positive ones, as it seems to be the same 3 or 4 children whining about how bad the record is rather than having actual discussion. I enjoy it the same I did when it first came out, and nothing will change that. My feelings on Big Whiskey songs in the live rotation has no reflection on the songs themselves, but rather the bands decision to overplay them. I would feel the same way about any other tune in the catalogue.

DMBcubs3641 05-19-2011 02:08 PM

I give it a 6/10. LITHOG, Baby Blue, and Squirm are all really good songs. Seven, Dive In, and Alligator Pie are enjoyable and I wouldn't complain about hearing them at a show. Don't care much at all for the rest.

LadyMadonna68 05-20-2011 12:31 PM

It still sucks

MarvinBerry 05-20-2011 08:23 PM

It's pretty good. I kind of think of it as Everyday II

rickyh24 05-20-2011 08:29 PM

"Big 4" :lol

kittensXLI 05-20-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarvinBerry (Post 12604715)
It's pretty good. I kind of think of it as Everyday II

Please don't insult Everyday.

densbucs 05-24-2011 12:45 PM

I am a regular listener to this album.....I would like to know why 'little red bird' didn't make the cut...or 'Write a Song'...Love "write a Song'....

coldengrey12 05-24-2011 05:04 PM

Excluding the Busted Stuff material, Lying in the Hands of God is the best track this band has done in the studio since Before These Crowded Streets.

scrock25 05-25-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by densbucs (Post 12613230)
I am a regular listener to this album.....I would like to know why 'little red bird' didn't make the cut...or 'Write a Song'...Love "write a Song'....

I was just saying in one of the chat threads that Write A Song is one of my FAVORITE recent efforts along with Squirm. I love that song.

monkeyman 05-25-2011 05:27 PM

I used to be a huge DMB fan. Had all the albums. Collected shows. Ran a server for this site before torrents were all the rage. I bought this album off iTunes when it was released. I was a lapsed DMB fan at the time, but felt like it deserved a purchase for old times' sake. I enjoyed it. I didn't love it. Alas, I lost it as a result of a computer or iPod crash. I don't remember exactly. I have no new views. Just wanted to say I enjoyed it at the time, but technology has robbed me of revisiting it. Glad to see there are still so many people still enjoying the music. Maybe I'll get to a show one more time.

eman14 05-27-2011 01:43 PM

I agree 100%. I actually went through a phase where i wasn't really a fan. Now im more obsessed with it than ever. And idk y, but for some reason I usually only listen to it in the summer:lol

Dive In and Spaceman FTW!!!!!!!:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thu mbsup:thumbsup

crawfish 05-31-2011 07:45 AM

I wouldn't say it's getting better. I happen to like it a lot, but I just don't love it the way I do some of the older stuff. On their next record I really hope they get back to basics.

camptravisr 06-19-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman14 (Post 12625250)
I agree 100%. I actually went through a phase where i wasn't really a fan. Now im more obsessed with it than ever. And idk y, but for some reason I usually only listen to it in the summer:lol

Dive In and Spaceman FTW!!!!!!!:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thu mbsup:thumbsup

The summer part...me too haha. I love cruisin to this album in the summer for some reason. As a work overall, I enjoy this album a lot and it has grown on me recently. I'm also glad they decided to record all new songs, rather than just making studio versions of songs that we already had great versions of live.

manderso 06-19-2011 08:24 PM

Some Devil is the winter album for me.

camptravisr 06-19-2011 08:57 PM

Yeah I like the acoustic stuff in the winter, too. I listen to a lot of D&T in the winter. UTTAD and Big Whiskey and LT 2 are my favorite summer albums (from DMB) that I can think of off the top of my head.

brian523 06-20-2011 04:39 PM

I just remember everyone creaming all over certain songs stating "The big 3 will now be known as the BIG 4" after its initial release.

And here we are after the honeymoon, realizing that its good, but doesn't come close to the others. Will any album compare? Probably not, because fans are cynical and the writing doesn't have the meaning that it used to.

Artists usually create their best stuff when they have nothing. They try so desperately to illustrate their love for what they are doing.....now these guys have millions upon millions, live in nice houses and have so much done for them.

Time is also a variable. Dave was a young man when he wrote those earlier songs, now he's a family man with other issues in life. Sometimes things won't get back 'the way they used to be'. Its not always a bad thing, but just won't be exceptional either.

thefiredancer05 06-21-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian523 (Post 12698098)
I just remember everyone creaming all over certain songs stating "The big 3 will now be known as the BIG 4" after its initial release.

And here we are after the honeymoon, realizing that its good, but doesn't come close to the others. Will any album compare? Probably not, because fans are cynical and the writing doesn't have the meaning that it used to.

Artists usually create their best stuff when they have nothing. They try so desperately to illustrate their love for what they are doing.....now these guys have millions upon millions, live in nice houses and have so much done for them.

Time is also a variable. Dave was a young man when he wrote those earlier songs, now he's a family man with other issues in life. Sometimes things won't get back 'the way they used to be'. Its not always a bad thing, but just won't be exceptional either.

Well said! I agree with what you are saying and where you are going with this statement. I personally think the album is solid. But in no way does it have the sound or feel as The Big 3. I rank it over Stand Up and Everyday. Big Whiskey is a very nice step in the right direction. It brings out a lot of energy for the band. I definitely have a much better understanding and appreciation for a lot of the songs than I did when it was released.