Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   what happened to Boyd? he's been MIA for a while (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=355849)

#40BigEyedFish 08-20-2021 12:54 PM

what happened to Boyd? he's been MIA for a while

anyone know if everything is ok with Boyd? he's been MIA on social media for a good 8+ months now and before then he was really acting strangely. i know he sold his house in c'ville, did a small tour with a wannabe dave and thats it.

i know he's out of the band / family....and rightfully so for what he did. there was always this strange undercurrent on the boards about stories about him before this all blew up.

to me dmb's music was always how boyd and roi played off and with one another, and while i enjoy the band ever evolving (and rashawn has been a great new force in the band) i miss those 2's sound together

RiotAct 08-20-2021 01:10 PM

Re: what happened to Boyd? he's been MIA for a while

I was wondering the same thing recently. What’s the latest on his legal battle?

madhatter 08-20-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotAct (Post 18020515)
I was wondering the same thing recently. What’s the latest on his legal battle?

It was settled in court. https://roanoke.com/lawsuit-against-...1686b1d1e.html

HonestDenver1 08-20-2021 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #40BigEyedFish (Post 18020486)
anyone know if everything is ok with Boyd? he's been MIA on social media for a good 8+ months now and before then he was really acting strangely. i know he sold his house in c'ville, did a small tour with a wannabe dave and thats it.

i know he's out of the band / family....and rightfully so for what he did. there was always this strange undercurrent on the boards about stories about him before this all blew up.

to me dmb's music was always how boyd and roi played off and with one another, and while i enjoy the band ever evolving (and rashawn has been a great new force in the band) i miss those 2's sound together

Hopefully getting healthy.. social media use at that level is a tell tale sign of mental health issues.. similar to Ryan Adam’s.. certain personalities and types of mental health should really be careful on social media.. I’m one and I know when I’m over using it…

KevinTH 08-20-2021 02:26 PM

I've been wondering about him as well. The whole situation was such a stain in this band's history. If you told me 20 years ago this is what DMB would look like now I never would have believed you. One of the reasons I loved this band so much was that they presented themselves as pretty regular guys that had their shit together. It was disappointing to find out after all these years the band was quite a bit more dysfunctional than maybe anyone thought. But hey, people are people.

Sometimes I wonder if there's any a chance at a redemption story and Boyd walks out on stage with DMB again, or maybe a guest spot one day. But as I recall some of the "in the know" folk have said, not a chance. Some pretty serious shit must have gone down for them to completely sever any ties with him.

RSSR 08-20-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinTH (Post 18020619)
I've been wondering about him as well. The whole situation was such a stain in this band's history. If you told me 20 years ago this is what DMB would look like now I never would have believed you. One of the reasons I loved this band so much was that they presented themselves as pretty regular guys that had their shit together. It was disappointing to find out after all these years the band was quite a bit more dysfunctional than maybe anyone thought. But hey, people are people.

Sometimes I wonder if there's any a chance at a redemption story and Boyd walks out on stage with DMB again, or maybe a guest spot one day. But as I recall some of the "in the know" folk have said, not a chance. Some pretty serious shit must have gone down for them to completely sever any ties with him.

Well, there was something going on in '07, thestand nearly came on here to announce the band was breaking up in '07, so we know it hasn't always been peachy behind the scenes.

RiotAct 08-20-2021 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter (Post 18020530)

somehow I completely missed that :lol Thanks!

KevinTH 08-20-2021 02:57 PM

That's kind of what I was saying though. There were some rumors, and I'm not so naive to think drugs don't creep into any band, as well as infighting. But overall the band presented themselves pretty well, which kudos to them on keeping shit behind closed doors. It wasn't until the last few years that Dave has talked a little more openly about the turmoil within the band. He's talked about Roi being a difficult friend and drug problem, and then obviously things got really weird when Boyd left for Narnia and couldn't play his instrument anymore. Though, even in 2007 with those rumors I never would have imagined 2021 DMB.

joshg 08-20-2021 02:57 PM

Quote:

Can you imagine waking up every day knowing that you blew your opportunity to be a part of the band as a founding member?

RSSR 08-20-2021 03:03 PM

I'd like to hear Boyd's side of the story, like why he didn't appear to try and improve by hiring a violin instructor to go on tour with him. The other band members obviously put in the work to get better.

joshg 08-20-2021 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18020645)
I'd like to hear Boyd's side of the story, like why he didn't appear to try and improve by hiring a violin instructor to go on tour with him. The other band members obviously put in the work to get better.

How would you find the time to work with a violin instructor when your time is monopolized by working on your abs, lats, and traps?

RSSR 08-20-2021 03:12 PM

See, that's it, he didn't prioritize DMB.

RSSR 08-20-2021 03:15 PM

I can't believe so many people here gave him a pass so long as he prancercised on stage while making a mockery of what a violin can sound in a rock band.

dmbdreamingtree 08-20-2021 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinTH (Post 18020639)
That's kind of what I was saying though. There were some rumors, and I'm not so naive to think drugs don't creep into any band, as well as infighting. But overall the band presented themselves pretty well, which kudos to them on keeping shit behind closed doors. It wasn't until the last few years that Dave has talked a little more openly about the turmoil within the band. He's talked about Roi being a difficult friend and drug problem, and then obviously things got really weird when Boyd left for Narnia and couldn't play his instrument anymore. Though, even in 2007 with those rumors I never would have imagined 2021 DMB.

can you point to where dave talked about roi and drugs? would like to read

joshg 08-20-2021 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree (Post 18020654)
can you point to where dave talked about roi and drugs? would like to read

Howard Stern interview.

joshg 08-20-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

As fans, we should take some of the onus as far as being so clueless. Starting in 1998, the guy showed up on stage 3% body fat and pubes sprouting from leather chaps. We all thought nothing of it.

dmbdreamingtree 08-20-2021 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 18020670)
Howard Stern interview.

thank you. never knew about roi and drugs. I wonder to what extend he used them beyond maybe weed. he was my hero growing up. miss the guy.

dmbdreamingtree 08-20-2021 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 18020673)
As fans, we should take some of the onus as far as being so clueless. Starting in 1998, the guy showed up on stage 3% body fat and pubes sprouting from leather chaps. We all thought nothing of it.

tbh, i was always a little curious. he was def the most eccentric - and then the group hugs after shows started and narnia, etc - my radar was going off. of course nothing wrong w a guy giving out hugs, but between the hugs, financial issues (https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...zarre-lawsuit/), fecal matter into the chicago river, etc, something always seemed off (to me). while many around me were in love with boyd and his energy, i was focused almost exclusively on roi.

I truly hope everything works out for boyd.

42km 08-20-2021 04:54 PM

FTWII, I was wondering the same thing earlier today, so I googled him and an article published today showed up, in a foreign language that I have not yet gotten around to translate:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.and...d-tinsley/amp/

dmbdreamingtree 08-20-2021 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42km (Post 18020723)
FTWII, I was wondering the same thing earlier today, so I googled him and an article published today showed up, in a foreign language that I have not yet gotten around to translate:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.and...d-tinsley/amp/

Looks like a biography in German

8nalive 08-20-2021 05:47 PM

I'm not interested in what anyone on this site thinks about Boyd or what the Dave Matthews Band thinks about Boyd. What does that matter to me? I want to know how Boyd is doing as a human being as others have previously mentioned. It has to be extremely difficult to say the least to be a part of one of the premier bands on the planet and then not

joshg 08-20-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8nalive (Post 18020796)
I'm not interested in what anyone on this site thinks about Boyd or what the Dave Matthews Band thinks about Boyd. What does that matter to me? I want to know how Boyd is doing as a human being as others have previously mentioned. It has to be extremely difficult to say the least to be a part of one of the premier bands on the planet and then not

Beyond. I think about him in this context at least once a week.

joshg 08-20-2021 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree (Post 18020688)
tbh, i was always a little curious. he was def the most eccentric - and then the group hugs after shows started and narnia, etc - my radar was going off. of course nothing wrong w a guy giving out hugs, but between the hugs, financial issues (https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...zarre-lawsuit/), fecal matter into the chicago river, etc, something always seemed off (to me). while many around me were in love with boyd and his energy, i was focused almost exclusively on roi.

I truly hope everything works out for boyd.

That was Boyd's doing? If not, it's legit hilarious that you added that to the Boyd list.

dmbdreamingtree 08-20-2021 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 18020841)
That was Boyd's doing? If not, it's legit hilarious that you added that to the Boyd list.

no - but his bus driver. obviously not his doing, but his name was in the news regardless.

I do hope he is doing ok.

8nalive 08-20-2021 06:55 PM

Boyd was a true professional. And he could play the violin. Very well. Awesomely in fact. Tell the H.S. music teacher he or she plays and teaches at the high school level, should stay at that level and has no business evaluating a professional musician. I know it is popular to bash Boyd. Almost everyone does without thinking and without having any credentials at all. But I think Boyd can take it. What do most of you know about playing the violin, anyway? Seriously asking. Just asking. Just wanting to know. There are all of you music critics on Ants. Crazy! What qualifies you to critique anyone's playing? Do you know how difficult it is to play the violin? What do you know about the violin? Who would you point to that is a great rock n' roll violinist? What was so terribly awful about Boyd's playing? The answer? Nothing. He was a quality strings player. You da man Boyd

paulg83 08-20-2021 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8nalive (Post 18020933)
Boyd was a true professional. And he could play the violin. Very well. Awesomely in fact. Tell the H.S. music teacher he or she plays and teaches at the high school level, should stay at that level and has no business evaluating a professional musician. I know it is popular to bash Boyd. Almost everyone does without thinking and without having any credentials at all. But I think Boyd can take it. What do most of you know about playing the violin, anyway? Seriously asking. Just asking. Just wanting to know. There are all of you music critics on Ants. Crazy! What qualifies you to critique anyone's playing? Do you know how difficult it is to play the violin? What do you know about the violin? Who would you point to that is a great rock n' roll violinist? What was so terribly awful about Boyd's playing? The answer? Nothing. He was a quality strings player. You da man Boyd

found boyd's account

8nalive 08-20-2021 07:12 PM

Neat note. My relatives used to live in Charlottesville a long time ago now. My cousin Katy met Boyd in a gym in Charlottesville. She used to live there with my Aunt. And my Aunt met Dave and he kissed her hand on a flight and said something kind to her. Dave also left a message on their home answering machine by mistake saying something like, "It's Dave, call me back." I forget the details now

crounsa810 08-20-2021 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulg83 (Post 18020948)
found boyd's account

Found his alt account https://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=355854

K270 08-20-2021 09:28 PM

I thought someone posted a Cameo video he did within the past two or three months. Or, if you want to find out if he's ok, have make a cameo video for you.

GraceBuckley 08-21-2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

What I would hope everyone would takeaway from this is that no one should EVER make assumptions that what things look like on the surface is also what is going on behind the scenes- with ANY band. It is almost ALWAYS more complicated than it looks like on the surface.

I feel like Facebook has taught that over and over again on a normal, non-celebrity level, in that most people only put the good stuff and highlights out there, but then you find out the couple with perfect looking children who are always smiling in vacation pictures were like selling human organs on the black market or something. Seriously, when humans are involved, there is likely PLENTY going on behind the public face that most people have no clue about.

Then add fame, money, power and being surrounded by yes men and yes women and you have the recipe for... complicated dynamics. And often serious falls from grace.

So I understand when you just don't imagine things are bad, then being really disappointed to find out how complicated or dysfunctional they were. But maybe know now that no one knows what's not obvious, but also no one should assume that just because we don't see problems, there aren't any. Or there aren't any deep problems.