Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Serial Podcast (Now with poll!) (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=333938)

Taylor36 12-08-2014 01:41 PM

Serial Podcast (Now with poll!)

Anyone listen to the Serial Podcast? It's setting records for podcast downloads. Several friends and co-workers highly recommended it. Ended up listening to all 10 episodes in 2 days this weekend. Needless to say I'm hooked. You can check it out here: http://serialpodcast.org/

Did a search and couldn't find any threads on it. Discuss reactions, theories, etc.!

YouNeverKnow25 12-08-2014 01:42 PM

Re: Serial Podcast

that fucker did it

ExistenceNow 12-08-2014 01:42 PM

I'd been meaning to make a thread about this.

Great podcast. Can't wait till Thursday.

zajDmB1 12-08-2014 01:44 PM

I think he did it or was at least involved in it.

But he shouldn't have been convicted, definitely not beyond a reasonable doubt.

Either he or Jay or both are psychopaths is the bottom line.

Ascf33 12-08-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zajDmB1 (Post 15710577)
I think he did it or was at least involved in it.

But he shouldn't have been convicted, definitely not beyond a reasonable doubt.

This is pretty much what it boils down to. Definitely involved in some capacity but there was more than enough reasonable doubt to acquit.

YouNeverKnow25 12-08-2014 01:48 PM

I had this debate with a friend:

if the prosecuting attorney is 100% sure adnan did it, is his job to present the case with the best chance for a conviction, or to present the case with the best chance of finding out exactly how adnan did it?

chadizzy1 12-08-2014 01:48 PM

Someone wanna explain the podcast?

I may give it a listen

YouNeverKnow25 12-08-2014 01:49 PM

just listen to the first episode, that's the only explanation to give.

zajDmB1 12-08-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadizzy1 (Post 15710595)
Someone wanna explain the podcast?

I may give it a listen

Real life murder mystery.

justink 12-08-2014 01:50 PM

i think it's pretty pointless and nothing short of a money grab. you can get the same entertainment by watching 20/20 every friday.

adnan is guilty as sin. jay helped him but he got a deal. "first to talk, walks".

/podcast

thebridge15 12-08-2014 01:51 PM

he and jay did it together

I have no idea why, but that's what I think happened

I also think it happened at the library like that one guy said

justink 12-08-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebridge15 (Post 15710603)
he and jay did it together

I have no idea why, but that's what I think happened

I also think it happened at the library like that one guy said

yeah... the only thing that could possibly come out of this is some "reveal/twist" where adan says... "well, if i did do it, i would have done it like this... but not how the cops said it happened."

thebridge15 12-08-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justink (Post 15710601)
i think it's pretty pointless and nothing short of a money grab. you can get the same entertainment by watching 20/20 every friday.

adnan is guilty as sin. jay helped him but he got a deal. "first to talk, walks".

/podcast

eh, there's something to be said about how they present the info, etc that makes it better than just 20/20

also, if it's a money grab they're doing a pretty shitty job with mail kimp

zajDmB1 12-08-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 15710592)
I had this debate with a friend:

if the prosecuting attorney is 100% sure adnan did it, is his job to present the case with the best chance for a conviction, or to present the case with the best chance of finding out exactly how adnan did it?

Not a lawyer, but I believe the former. Similarly with the defense, how the podcast says Adnan's lawyer's strategy was more focused on showing how certain testimonies were bad, as opposed to pushing for his alibi/proving he's innocent, because they didn't really have enough to go that route. It's all about winning, nobody gives a shit about what actually happened.

thebridge15 12-08-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justink (Post 15710607)
yeah... the only thing that could possibly come out of this is some "reveal/twist" where adan says... "well, if i did do it, i would have done it like this... but not how the cops said it happened."

last episode he did toss out "the prosecution did a great job of presenting the facts"

zajDmB1 12-08-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justink (Post 15710601)

/podcast

If this is a money grab, what isn't a money grab?

YouNeverKnow25 12-08-2014 01:55 PM

The question was one of morality, not legality.

justink 12-08-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebridge15 (Post 15710608)
eh, there's something to be said about how they present the info, etc that makes it better than just 20/20

also, if it's a money grab they're doing a pretty shitty job with mail kimp

that's what i was telling Matthew... SK is deliberately holding back evidence/info because they have to milk this thing as long as they can. no point in just divulging everything because then there wouldn't be a podcast.

and mail "kimp" (lols) was signed on for the entirety before this thing took off. they're making money hand over fist now. hell, they're even taking donations on their main page.

they're estimated to have made between $500k and $800k from mailchimp... that's not including donations.

https://medium.com/@tylersmoody/why-...s-82d3df728b20

justink 12-08-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zajDmB1 (Post 15710611)
If this is a money grab, what isn't a money grab?

all entertainment is a money grab. this one is preying on dumb people who want to believe a killer is innocent.

seems pointless and borderline unethical to me.

thebridge15 12-08-2014 02:01 PM

I listened to 1-10 on the way to and from home for thanksgiving so I pretty much memorized the entire intro

"use-a mail chimp"

thebridge15 12-08-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justink (Post 15710630)
all entertainment is a money grab. this one is preying on dumb people who want to believe a killer is innocent.

it is kind of strange that a bunch of people are all hoping he gets a special appeal or whatever, etc because they're certain he's innocent

even though the podcast does a pretty good job of making him look guilty at times, despite SK admitting a few times that she wants him to be innocent

justink 12-08-2014 02:04 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/serialpodcast/

lot's of in depth discussion.

justink 12-08-2014 02:06 PM

yeah, and update: there were payphones at best buy. a redditor's dad worked there at the time and even had pictures.

thebridge15 12-08-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justink (Post 15710648)
yeah, and update: there were payphones at best buy. a redditor's dad worked there at the time and even had pictures.

the girl saying she knew there weren't cause she used to regularly steal CDs :lol

justink 12-08-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zajDmB1 (Post 15710609)
Not a lawyer, but I believe the former. Similarly with the defense, how the podcast says Adnan's lawyer's strategy was more focused on showing how certain testimonies were bad, as opposed to pushing for his alibi/proving he's innocent, because they didn't really have enough to go that route. It's all about winning, nobody gives a shit about what actually happened.

Adnan's lawyer was forced into that strategy because adnan had no alibi and the prosecution had a witness saying that he killed her.

justink 12-08-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebridge15 (Post 15710655)
the girl saying she knew there weren't cause she used to regularly steal CDs :lol

yeah... "there weren't any payphones because i was always looking for security cameras when i stole cd's there all the time!"

first, most shoplifters are dumb as hell, and second, if you're looking for cameras, why would you notice and memorize where payphones were?

real dumb.

thebridge15 12-08-2014 02:16 PM

why do they need to establish he was ever at best buy? even if he was the timeline could still work, they tried it

justink 12-08-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebridge15 (Post 15710673)
why do they need to establish he was ever at best buy? even if he was the timeline could still work, they tried it

i agree, i don't think it's relevant at all. payphone schmayphone. but...

Adnan claimed the non-existant payphone that he didn't use was in the lobby...
"...and then I walk into the Best Buy Lobby and call Jay and tell him to come meet me there—all in 21 minutes..."

zajDmB1 12-08-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justink (Post 15710630)

I mean, nobody pays to hear them, so people donating is no different than anything else on NPR.

Also, I've talked to no less than 20 people about this and literally not one person thinks he's innocent. And now add a few people from this thread, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by justink (Post 15710663)
Adnan's lawyer was forced into that strategy because adnan had no alibi and the prosecution had a witness saying that he killed her.

Yea, that's why I said "because they didn't really have enough to go that route." after what you bolded.

zajDmB1 12-08-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebridge15 (Post 15710673)

Because Jay said that's where he picked him up, no?. If your star witness is saying something completely false, that's an issue.