Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   DMB Live 25 - 5LP Vinyl (180g) (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=345628)

Rockyall107 07-30-2017 09:27 AM

Re: DMB Live 25 - 5LP Vinyl (180g)

Quote:

video does not work<br>
<br>
can you upload pictures of the book?
https://mobile.twitter.com/ryan_pert...93915644059649

Idk how to upload pictures on here using my phone? 🤔

chrisjuniper 07-30-2017 10:07 AM

If anyone wants one for cost+shipping, I'll have an extra, PM me.

BTBaboon 07-30-2017 11:30 AM

Careful with that on that briefcase table

cjobes 07-30-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 16847616)
Careful with that on that briefcase table

Exactly my thoughts. Like I mentioned before...can't stand the thought of this boxset (or any album for that matter) being played on a Crosley or anything of that nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockyall107 07-30-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->
<div class="pre-quote">
Quote de <strong>BTBaboon</strong>
</div>

<div class="post-quote">
<div style="font-style:italic">Careful with that on that briefcase table</div>
</div>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote --><br>
<br>
Exactly my thoughts. Like I mentioned before...can't stand the thought of this boxset (or any album for that matter) being played on a Crosley or anything of that nature. <br>
<br>
<br>
Well, it's what I could afford at the time. I'm in the process of purchasing a good one.

chadizzy1 07-30-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockyall107 (Post 16847621)
Well, it's what I could afford at the time. I'm in the process of purchasing a good one.

Try not to play it too many times on that table, I would worry about it damaging the record. Which sucks, because it's a great record and one that I'd want to listen to numerous times. But once you get your new table, the record will thank you!

Rockyall107 07-30-2017 11:57 AM

Thanks for the advice. I was definitley aware that it wasn't a good table. Looking at a pioneer. Just waiting to get paid to get it! 👍🏻

leoromanetz 07-30-2017 03:38 PM

Is there any record player under $200 (that is new) that will not ruin my dmb 25 box set after more than a few plays? I have the ion max LP and it sounds like, according to some of your guys' standards, my vinyl will actually be damaged after just a few plays. How much am I gonna have to drop and what exactly am I gonna have to drop it on in order to stay safe? You record player audiophiles are turning me into a paranoid android!

chadizzy1 07-30-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leoromanetz (Post 16847649)
Is there any record player under $200 (that is new) that will not ruin my dmb 25 box set after more than a few plays? I have the ion max LP and it sounds like, according to some of your guys' standards, my vinyl will actually be damaged after just a few plays. How much am I gonna have to drop and what exactly am I gonna have to drop it on in order to stay safe? You record player audiophiles are turning me into a paranoid android!

I know some seem to speak highly of the U-Turn Basic:
https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable

chadizzy1 07-30-2017 04:11 PM

7/29/17 - 5:18am - Left West Virginia
7/29/17 - 10:43pm - Arrived in Lexington, TN
7/30/17 - 12:36PM - Arrived in Southaven, MS

It says expected delivery is Friday August 4th.

Uhh….Southaven, MS is 2 hours and 36 minutes away from me. :lol

jenhen27 07-30-2017 04:31 PM

Chad, mine left Crozet yesterday and travelled north over 2 hours to West VA. Raleigh is almost exactly 3 hours south of Crozet. I mean, I know there are central hubs and whatnot but... efficiency! Will be here Wednesday.

BTBaboon 07-30-2017 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leoromanetz (Post 16847649)

Do you have speakers currently or do you need a full set up. Alternatively if you have a nice pair of headphones you could do a headphone setup

For $200, and only new equipment, you're looking at the U-Turn Orbit Basic for $179 and a phono preamp for ~$30. If you have a pair of speakers or a nice set of headphones then you're all set.

But if you're open to vintage equipment then you could probably get more bang/sound for your buck

leoromanetz 07-30-2017 05:51 PM

Quote:

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->
<div class="pre-quote">
Quote de <strong>leoromanetz</strong>
</div>

<div class="post-quote">
<div style="font-style:italic">Is there any record player under $200 (that is new) that will not ruin my dmb 25 box set after more than a few plays? I have the ion max LP and it sounds like, according to some of your guys' standards, my vinyl will actually be damaged after just a few plays. How much am I gonna have to drop and what exactly am I gonna have to drop it on in order to stay safe? You record player audiophiles are turning me into a paranoid android!</div>
</div>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->Do you have speakers currently or do you need a full set up. Alternatively if you have a nice pair of headphones you could do a headphone setup<br>
<br>
For $200, and only new equipment, you're looking at the U-Turn Orbit Basic for $179 and a phono preamp for ~$30. If you have a pair of speakers or a nice set of headphones then you're all set.<br>
<br>
But if you're open to vintage equipment then you could probably get more bang/sound for your buck
Where would you suggest for vintage equipment?

cjobes 07-30-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leoromanetz (Post 16847711)
Where would you suggest for vintage equipment?

Before you pay full price from vintage dealers I would keep an eye on Facebook, Craigslist, offer up, garage sales, estate sales etc...

BTBaboon 07-30-2017 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjobes (Post 16847712)
Before you pay full price from vintage dealers I would keep an eye on Facebook, Craigslist, offer up, garage sales, estate sales etc...

Yeah, this. Check out your local craigslist first, then of that doesn't work out try local record stores; many seller used/vintage gear.

Floyd47 07-30-2017 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 16847729)
Yeah, this. Check out your local craigslist first, then of that doesn't work out try local record stores; many seller used/vintage gear.

There is a Technics SL-23 in good shape on my local craigslist. I'm considering it. Seems to have good reviews and is easy to maintain.

OneSweetMonkey 07-31-2017 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenhen27 (Post 16847671)
Chad, mine left Crozet yesterday and travelled north over 2 hours to West VA. Raleigh is almost exactly 3 hours south of Crozet. I mean, I know there are central hubs and whatnot but... efficiency! Will be here Wednesday.

Yeah mine will arrive 1 town over from me today and then get tranfered to my towns post office tomorrow morning and I'll actually have it on Wednesday. I have actually developed a kind friendship with the lady at my post office. If my Warehouse packages are there and have already been checked in, she just let's me take them so i don't need to wait the extra day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

kingofkings 07-31-2017 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockyall107 (Post 16847583)
https://mobile.twitter.com/ryan_pert...93915644059649

Idk how to upload pictures on here using my phone? 🤔

that sounds great

Hilly 07-31-2017 05:31 AM

My favorite part of this release is when someone says, "I'm enjoying this song" and then everyone trashes the type of record player they have.

thewitt85 07-31-2017 05:36 AM

Hoping mine gets moved up to today, been in NJ since Saturday. Plus my wife is off tomorrow and I don't want her to open it and happen to see the receipt :eek

BTBaboon 07-31-2017 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 16847864)
My favorite part of this release is when someone says, "I'm enjoying this song" and then everyone trashes the type of record player they have.

I think there's a difference between "trashing someone's turntable" and giving some quick advice. No one is saying they can't be enjoying the sound they get from a briefcase table. We're just saying "hey, if you ever plan on upgrading, you may want to be careful with how much you play it on that thing"

We've linked to other users who have noted that their live trax releases were more or less "ruined" by playing on a bad table and when they eventually upgraded to a real deck that the sound was noticeably diminished. You also have the big list of people complaining about skips on RR95, mainly from LP60 owners, and that is a headache worth avoiding if we can get good info out there first.

I know the draw of these tables are the low price, but if you put some leg work into it you can get a vintage deck for a comparable price. Otherwise, you're playing a $175 record set on a table that costs about half of that price. It's a big mismatch and there will be people upset by skips and bad sound that deserve fair warning

thewitt85 07-31-2017 05:52 AM

Wish I had known not to play my Live Trax sets on a shitty table but hey guys, don't warn the people dropping $175 on this that it might get damaged on starter tables....

cpxc. 07-31-2017 05:53 AM

it says mine should be here Wednesday

chrisjuniper 07-31-2017 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewitt85 (Post 16847876)
Wish I had known not to play my Live Trax sets on a shitty table but hey guys, don't warn the people dropping $175 on this that it might get damaged on starter tables....

Who was supposed to warn you?

thewitt85 07-31-2017 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjuniper (Post 16847880)
Who was supposed to warn you?

No-one... I stated earlier in this thread when someone blamed Audio Technica that it was my fault for not doing research before getting the LP-60 and using it on good records.... My point was that people here are warning people about playing this on similar tables and I don't see how that could be taken as a bad thing.

chrisjuniper 07-31-2017 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewitt85 (Post 16847883)
No-one... I stated earlier in this thread when someone blamed Audio Technica that it was my fault for not doing research before getting the LP-60 and using it on good records.... My point was that people here are warning people about playing this on similar tables and I don't see how that could be taken as a bad thing.

ohh okay, I misunderstood

BTBaboon 07-31-2017 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewitt85 (Post 16847883)

Yeah, I mean I understand that there's a sense of "elitism" from people outside the vinyl/hifi community looking in, and that in general telling someone they bought a cheap/crap piece of equipment seems snobbish (maybe it is?), but all I'm/we're trying to do is give solid advice and steer people in the right direction.

The point is that if you're spending this much on records, you should want to take care of them. Especially in a case like this where if you damage this set there's no way to get a replacement at retail price.

OneSweetMonkey 07-31-2017 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 16847864)

Maybe I have the wrong impression, but you don't seem to enjoy this message board all that much.

schutter 07-31-2017 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 16847888)
Yeah, I mean I understand that there's a sense of "elitism" from people outside the vinyl/hifi community looking in, and that in general telling someone they bought a cheap/crap piece of equipment seems snobbish (maybe it is?), but all I'm/we're trying to do is give solid advice and steer people in the right direction.

The point is that if you're spending this much on records, you should want to take care of them. Especially in a case like this where if you damage this set there's no way to get a replacement at retail price.

I am forever grateful for the advice I received here regarding the AT-LP60 table. My RR95 skipped like crazy on it and it was the info I got on this message board that helped motivate me to upgrade to a better table.

WidespreadMule3 07-31-2017 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadizzy1 (Post 16847663)
7/29/17 - 5:18am - Left West Virginia
7/29/17 - 10:43pm - Arrived in Lexington, TN
7/30/17 - 12:36PM - Arrived in Southaven, MS

It says expected delivery is Friday August 4th.

Uhh….Southaven, MS is 2 hours and 36 minutes away from me. :lol

Ha mine is there too!

What's funnier for me is Southhaven is basically Memphis. Everything that ships to me through FedEx has to go to Southaven to be dispersed to USPS. I have a feeling ours are going to go somewhere crazy like Oklahoma then come back.