Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   DMB Live 25 - 5LP Vinyl (180g) (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=345628)

deceit 07-10-2017 03:23 PM

Re: DMB Live 25 - 5LP Vinyl (180g)

I panic bought this. I don't know if it was not spending any money on summer tour tickets or "limited release" but I didn't really think about this twice when I saw the announcement.

stlbluespower 07-10-2017 03:24 PM

I'll probably spend more on DMB when they stop touring (when they do more stuff like this) than when they did tour. what a sheep i am.

Ripcord 07-10-2017 03:30 PM

There is absolutely 0% chance this doesn't release somehow in digital format at the very least. Anyone who thinks this will only be released as a vinyl is sadly mistaken. They will not miss out on a chance to make several thousand more dollars for just uploading to iTunes, etc.

TheLastPig 07-10-2017 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilant420 (Post 16831846)
I thought this too!

Thanks? :rolleyes

Doubt it. :rolleyes

Relax.

Limit one per person, going to be tough to get someone to do it. Just drop the extra $35.00.

Divorce her.

Two step from the AC caravan would have been sick! :(
Doubt it.

Relax.

That two step was ridiculous. I'd love to have a soundboard.

bigeyedpigs 07-10-2017 03:34 PM

This is awesome I really want it but I simply can't justify getting this for the price. I love vinyl but know how I am, it would end up sitting on a shelf as memorabilia. I really hope it is released my another means and kinda find its strange it wasn't. Hopefully it will be.

snow1868 07-10-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedak (Post 16831831)
I know the company who is pressing the records.

I'll save this post for future use.

:lol :lol Go for it, save away. :lol :lol

bwillis1975 07-10-2017 03:46 PM

As many others are saying, I can't justify buying this at all. No record player, very expensive. I literally own every single live release sold by the band. Every Live Trax on CD, every full band release on DMBLive, and all of the physical disc versions of Dave (and Tim).

But this, I can't buy it. I'll definitely buy it on digital or disc later. But I just can't do this.

bowa36 07-10-2017 03:59 PM

i will be sad and poor if there's no cd / mp3 option in future

TimHonks 07-10-2017 04:02 PM

Very cool release.

TwoStep2888 07-10-2017 04:09 PM

Out of my price range and no digital copy, I'll pass

NickN 07-10-2017 04:15 PM

Pretty solid song line up. For me, the chance to get two songs from a show I went to on vinyl is pretty enticing. I was there for the 4/4/02 Raven and 7/31/02 Don't Burn Pig. I've always really liked that performance of Raven, but the Pig doesn't really ring any bells as being all that different from the other 2-3 times I saw it. I remember the Warehouse>Nancies from that show as more of a standout than the Pig, but it has been a while so who knows.

That said, I'm not a warehouse member and I don't know if I can see myself signing up just to get this. Maybe if there are any left for the public on sale I'll grab it. I think it's a pretty cool idea for a release either way.

TwoStep2888 07-10-2017 04:20 PM

whether or not I can buy this vinyl it's a great selection of tracks

BTBaboon 07-10-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbclstj2 (Post 16831791)
Seriously though, if you aren't a sound freak, this player does the job for 40 bucks. Why the hell spend 400 if your not audiophile? I love mine, plays great. I understand I am getting a less superior sound quality than the $400 dollar one but thats ok with me.

Not just a less superior sound quality, you're probably going to get a table that can't handle anything mastered properly and fully dynamic. Look at the RSD Red Rocks thread to see the list of people with the LP60 who couldn't play their copy due to skipping because it simply can't track well at all

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash1983 (Post 16831796)
Thanks guys!

If you're serious about getting into vinyl (not just for this release) and don't want to spend a fortune, this is what I'd recommend:

Turntable: U-Turn Orbit Basic for $179 -
https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable

Phono Preamplifier: Art Pro DJPRE II for $46 - https://www.amazon.com/ART-Audio-DJP.../dp/B000AJR482

Speakers: Edifier R1280T for $99.99 - https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280...shelf+speakers

That's just over $300 total. It would sound good while not breaking the bank, but would still giving you good sound and all the features and calibration ability that a real turntable and stereo should have at bare minimum. Keep an eye out for price drops on the phono preamp and the speakers; especially with Prime Day next week

You can also get used/vintage equipment on the cheap and just add a new stylus. Search local craigslists and local record stores/hi-fi shops. I'd be happy to make some suggestions if you find anything you're interested in

But absolutely do not buy a $40 table. That's like flushing $40 down the toilet and destroying the grooves on a $175 record set on top of it. Those toy-like players eat your records due to the bad tracking and ceramic conical stylus

NickN 07-10-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 16831885)
Not just a less superior sound quality, you're probably going to get a table that can't handle anything mastered properly and fully dynamic. Look at the RSD Red Rocks thread to see the list of people with the LP60 who couldn't play their copy due to skipping because it simply can't track well at all

If you're serious about getting into vinyl (not just for this release) and don't want to spend a fortune, this is what I'd recommend:

Phono Preamplifier: Art Pro DJPRE II for $46 -https://www.amazon.com/ART-Audio-DJPRE-Turntable-Preamplifier/dp/B000AJR482

Speakers: Edifier R1280T for $99.99 - https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280...shelf+speakers

That's just over $300 total. It would sound good while not breaking the bank, but would still giving you good sound and all the features and calibration ability that a real turntable and stereo should have at bare minimum. Keep an eye out for price drops on the phono preamp and the speakers; especially with Prime Day next week

You can also get used/vintage equipment on the cheap and just add a new stylus. Search local craigslists and local record stores/hi-fi shops. I'd be happy to make some suggestions if you find anything you're interested in

But absolutely do not buy a $40 table. That's like flushing $40 down the toilet and destroying the grooves on a $175 record set on top of it. Those toy-like players eat your records due to the bad tracking and ceramic conical stylus

Totally agree. New vinyl isn't cheap especially on limited releases like this one. To spend $175 on this and then go play it on a terrible $40 turntable doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

ToySoldier#34 07-10-2017 04:35 PM

Awesome group of performances, I would just rather listen to the same performances on YouTube, go to a DMB show, and save 100.00 doing so

SeanMH 07-10-2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlbluespower (Post 16831647)
only two songs break 10 minutes.

thank goodness!

ExistenceNow 07-10-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 (Post 16831884)
whether or not I can buy this vinyl it's a great selection of tracks

For sure. I have no issue with the song selection.

I'm just not going to spend $180 on a live compilation.

Now, if it were 25 unreleased studio tracks compiled from all their studio sessions... please take all of my monies.

scola21 07-10-2017 04:54 PM

Quote:

Phono Preamplifier: Art Pro DJPRE II for $46 - https://www.amazon.com/ART-Audio-DJP.../dp/B000AJR482

I couldn't agree more. I had the LP60 and exact same thing happened, couldn't play all these great releases because it didn't track properly. I bought a fluance and I'm very happy with it. Decent cartridge, nice counterbalance that doesn't slam down on my record and cause my speakers to jump, and $200 with a built in, but bypassable for future upgrades, preamp. I'd recommend starting there if you want an all in one option. Although above sounds great too.

RSSR 07-10-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExistenceNow (Post 16831896)
For sure. I have no issue with the song selection.

I'm just not going to spend $180 on a live compilation.

Now, if it were 25 unreleased studio tracks compiled from all their studio sessions... please take all of my monies.

I'd feel significantly better about dropping $175 on studio cuts we don't have or knew anything about from the days of RTT all the way through Busted Stuff. Not that this isn't already pulling at me to pull the trigger on this.

While I would without a second thought drop $20.00 on a brand new LT, DMBLive, Live In/At... announcement, I already have other hobbies besides DMB that are starting to get expensive, $175 on vinyl just doesn't sit right with me.

thedak 07-10-2017 05:03 PM

I'm a fan of anything Pro-Ject makes.

All depends on your budget.

Shiit Mani Pre-Amp is IMO the best unit for the coin.

maqic 07-10-2017 05:11 PM

OK... I bit the bullet. The set looks really nice... excited to give it a spin.

dmbongreyst 07-10-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the tips. Started collecting a few years ago and got a low cost player to start but think it's about time to upgrade. Have any recommendations on headphones to go with this?

bigeyedfish1979 07-10-2017 05:49 PM

175 seems a little excessive.

BTBaboon 07-10-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbongreyst (Post 16831934)
Thanks for the tips. Started collecting a few years ago and got a low cost player to start but think it's about time to upgrade. Have any recommendations on headphones to go with this?

Do you have a budget in mind for those? Assume youd want over ear headphones?

dmbongreyst 07-10-2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 16831946)
Do you have a budget in mind for those? Assume youd want over ear headphones?

Over the ear. Thinking around $100 or less. I'm flexible.

ExistenceNow 07-10-2017 06:03 PM

Love my Sennheiser cans.

There's a whole thread in nDMBc dedicated to headphone recommendations. Some really solid info in there.

smb41 07-10-2017 06:11 PM

If this were to be released digitally or on CD after the LPs sell out (which I believe will happen), how long would they wait to announce/release it? Right after it sells out? Once the LPs start shipping?

crashintonickdm 07-10-2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

urban outfitters had that turn table for sale. surprised im seeing you here say its decent. i wouldve thought it wouldve been shit.

im considering getting into it.

dobyblue 07-10-2017 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 16831715)
Bought it. No brainer for me, better than regretting it later and having to buy it from a scalper for $300-$500 (because realistically, it will settle in that range)

Doby, any word on who mastered and where it was pressed?

I don't know anything about it, but if I could afford it I would buy with confidence. The vinyl releases of late have been excellent and much care taken about them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadizzy1 (Post 16831783)
Most of us seem to advocate for the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon.

Well, that's what we advocate for at a minimum.
:evil

BTBaboon 07-10-2017 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashintonickdm (Post 16832000)
urban outfitters had that turn table for sale. surprised im seeing you here say its decent. i wouldve thought it wouldve been shit.

im considering getting into it.

The U-Turn has all the features and calibration ability you need from a turntable. Its build quality is decent for the price point and it's made in the USA. They sell upgraded models as well, but the U-Turn is the cheapest table that I'm willing to recommend. It's a great starter and blows the cheap toy tables like the suitcase Crosleys, LP60, and similar out of the water

YankeesDMB41 07-10-2017 06:49 PM

The technology exists to convert these to mp3 correct?

chadizzy1 07-10-2017 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 16832011)

Yeah, I have Audacity on my Mac and just bought a new adaptor, so I'll be importing them when I get them so I don't have to buy a digital download later :lol

crashintonickdm 07-10-2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 16832010)
The U-Turn has all the features and calibration ability you need from a turntable. Its build quality is decent for the price point and it's made in the USA. They sell upgraded models as well, but the U-Turn is the cheapest table that I'm willing to recommend. It's a great starter and blows the cheap toy tables like the suitcase Crosleys, LP60, and similar out of the water

goood to know. i honestly have no body i could go to for this info. i never thought to really ask here which is insane considering all the vinyl releases DMB has done of late.

thedak 07-10-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 16832011)

Some turntables will have a USB out on the back

Example:

Pro-Ject Essential II Phono USB

alec 07-10-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 16832010)

How do you think it compares to one of the Sony turntables from Best Buys that are around $100?

alec 07-10-2017 07:07 PM

In looking up some of these songs on the almanac, I discovered that All Along The Watchtower from 8.29.95 is on a Bob Dylan tribute album called Chimes of Freedom. Its on apple Music (and probably Spotify).

When he yells "the wind begins to howl" it actually sounds like he is imitating Bob Dylan's voice for a second. Kind of funny.

https://itun.es/us/oB3dQ?i=705656707

BTBaboon 07-10-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashintonickdm (Post 16832015)
goood to know. i honestly have no body i could go to for this info. i never thought to really ask here which is insane considering all the vinyl releases DMB has done of late.

Stop by the vinyl thread in nDMBc, we're always up to give advice. Doby knows all as well :thumbsup

Quote:

Originally Posted by alec (Post 16832018)
How do you think it compares to one of the Sony turntables from Best Buys that are around $100?

Destroys is. Steer clear of that Sony

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedak (Post 16832016)
Some turntables will have a USB out on the back

Example:

Pro-Ject Essential II Phono USB

Could also just run a line in to a computer direct from phono pre-amp or receiver

coolhotwaves 07-10-2017 07:14 PM

My dream of bartender 4-7-02 being released is finally a reality...and it's vinyl. I'd pretty much pay someone to convert that track to MP3 for me

evino526 07-10-2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

My dream of bartender 4-7-02 being released is finally a reality...and it's vinyl. I'd pretty much pay someone to convert that track to MP3 for me
I feel the same

matt630 07-10-2017 07:33 PM

Ok, since the conversation has come up I've recently been considering upgrading my AT-LP120 with a custom U-Turn with the acrylic platter and the Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge along with a Pluto preamp...know it isn't the "top of the line" option but fits in the most I'd be looking to stretch the budget ($600 range) to upgrade. Since we have some people with more expertise than I have in this forum, please go ahead with your thoughts. Thanks in advance, I'll be reading your opinions while I debate ordering the new set.

YankeesDMB41 07-10-2017 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadizzy1 (Post 16832013)
Yeah, I have Audacity on my Mac and just bought a new adaptor, so I'll be importing them when I get them so I don't have to buy a digital download later :lol

If it's legal, PM me...if not, get sum

socopithy 07-10-2017 07:35 PM

It'll make its way to the usual places in no time, I'm sure.

Mateo2k 07-10-2017 07:40 PM

Pretty cool set and like that they're doing a strictly vinyl release.

YankeesDMB41 07-10-2017 07:47 PM

I mean im buying the Vinyl...but I also want to blast these songs in my car, which I cant do without Mp3s

RSSR 07-10-2017 07:54 PM

Shit, can you imagine if the band actually played these 25 songs in a set just like they're arranged here? We'd all lose our minds.

BTCS_JTR 07-10-2017 08:11 PM

Surprised to not see Toronto's Winter '12 poster mixed in there.

mHeiser92 07-10-2017 09:20 PM

Am I wrong, or did somebody post that Doobie Thing and/or Falling off the Roof were both registered or trademarked a few months ago? Some thought we'd see them on WH disc, but this makes sense now if I remember this correctly

Toast and Jelly 07-10-2017 10:29 PM

I was at the Toyota Park show where Falling off the Roof (Jackpot) was played. I don't think I've listened to a recording since but it's actually a pretty awesome song in case any of you haven't heard it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkvZPuBLJXo

I would put it in the top 3 since 2007. It has a bit of the intangible vibe from those forgotten early 90s Dave solo songs (tension, interesting melodic intervals etc.) more so than anything else I've heard in a long time

YankeesDMB41 07-10-2017 10:37 PM

the revisionist history is annoying me a little...everyone has called this song a turd for 10 years

justink 07-10-2017 11:01 PM

Dumb.

I'm sure it will sell just fine. But live compilations are lame. We've got tapes already.

Would be much cooler if it were an unreleased / b-sides box. Empty out the vault.

Oh well. So much for a big 25th anniversary release.

hensleytyler44 07-10-2017 11:13 PM

Quote:

So, was anyone at any of these performances?<br>
<br>
I didn't see a single one I attended
Big Eyed Fish > Granny at Deer Creek in 2013 was a really solid one-two punch to open the show

TwoStep2888 07-11-2017 12:05 AM

never liked Jackpot, but I remember liking Break for It when I heard it years ago

drop2d 07-11-2017 04:44 AM

This looks nice but I'm not sure I can justify the pricetag... $7 a track? Eeeeeh.

Also, why are people assuming there won't be a download with this? Anyone ever bought NEW vinyl these days that didn't come with a DL card?

kingofkings 07-11-2017 04:54 AM

very upset about this. i don't listen to vinyl because i like listening to music in the car. to think that the only people that would enjoy this music listen to vinyl is ridiculous. it's the dream release for everyone on this site, all the rare songs live in one package. to not have it as a cd box set, or at the very least a download is crazy. and to not say whether or not a download card would be inside the vinyl box is just stupid.

BTBaboon 07-11-2017 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justink (Post 16832129)
Dumb.

I'm sure it will sell just fine. But live compilations are lame. We've got tapes already.

Would be much cooler if it were an unreleased / b-sides box. Empty out the vault.

I wonder if that's partially why there's no digital release for it. Vinyl only to satisfy the vinyl fans who have been dying for something like this? I don't know.

As for the bold, I'd say that's something more for when the band is done. As someone said a few pages back, we'll end up spending more money on releases when the band is done than we ever did while they were still playing

I'm surprised they did anything for the 25th. Outside of naming the tour in '16 #DMB25, I would have assumed they'd do nothing of note

Quote:

Originally Posted by drop2d (Post 16832155)
This looks nice but I'm not sure I can justify the pricetag... $7 a track? Eeeeeh.

Also, why are people assuming there won't be a download with this? Anyone ever bought NEW vinyl these days that didn't come with a DL card?

Yeah, there's a decent amount that don't have a DL card.

None of the LT Box Sets have; Red Rocks did because it was a Sony Legacy release. I'm not convinced this will have a download card though.

dontdrink36 07-11-2017 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toast and Jelly (Post 16832124)
I was at the Toyota Park show where Falling off the Roof (Jackpot) was played. I don't think I've listened to a recording since but it's actually a pretty awesome song in case any of you haven't heard it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkvZPuBLJXo

I would put it in the top 3 since 2007. It has a bit of the intangible vibe from those forgotten early 90s Dave solo songs (tension, interesting melodic intervals etc.) more so than anything else I've heard in a long time

Top 3 in the last decade? :lol

snow1868 07-11-2017 05:19 AM

They're not going to miss an opportunity to cash in on this and only limit themselves to 2500 releases. There's requests for digital all over their social media right now, there's going to be a digital release later.

jets42689 07-11-2017 05:20 AM

Some are obvious, but can anyone identify what is "special" or unique about each of these performances?

snow1868 07-11-2017 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mHeiser92 (Post 16832112)
Am I wrong, or did somebody post that Doobie Thing and/or Falling off the Roof were both registered or trademarked a few months ago? Some thought we'd see them on WH disc, but this makes sense now if I remember this correctly

You're not wrong.

coldblueice 07-11-2017 05:31 AM

ordered.

laststopdmb 07-11-2017 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maqic (Post 16831726)
Checked with the wife...it's a firm, "no".

HAHAHA..I'm sorry, but this is funny to me.

Utopia 07-11-2017 05:45 AM

Cool idea, but not gonna spend the money. I'm sure the tracks all surface at some point.

Jake 07-11-2017 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jets42689 (Post 16832170)
Some are obvious, but can anyone identify what is "special" or unique about each of these performances?

Side A
1. Seek Up (8.29.95 – Philadelphia, PA – Mann Center) Sold performance from the early days and just short enough to make it onto a vinyl
2. JTR (5.2.01 – Greenville, SC – Bi-Lo Center) only time Rain on Me refrain opened JTR. Unique lyrics

Side B
1. You Never Know (8.24.03 – E. Rutherford, NJ – Continental Airlines Arena) One of the best YNK's ever. Great Roi
2. Don’t Burn The Pig (7.31.02 – Bristow, VA – Nissan Pavilion at Stone Ridge) For as much love as the 4.2.02 one gets, this one is better - Best Boyd performance
3. The Stone (9.2.00 – Charlotte, NC – Blockbuster Pavilion) beloved fan favorite performance, and still considered among the top 3 Stone's ever

Side C
1. Shotgun (8.15.09 – W. Palm Beach, FL – Cruzan Amphitheatre) among the best Shotgun performances ever - great powerful version
2. A Dream So Real (9.22.07 Dallas, TX – Smirnoff Music Center) probably the best ADSR ever. Dave's scratchy vocal gives the song a bit more body,
and Rashawn and Roi are great on it

3. Busted Stuff (8.25.00 Hartford, CT – Meadows Music Theatre) Roi is fantastic on this gem that people will soon realize is the best Busted Stuff ever

Side D
1. Kit Kat Jam (6.20.03 – Darien Center, NY – Darien Lake PAC) Roi shines, great unique lyrics, really captures the mood of Dave in 03
2. Lover Lay Down (6.22.00 - Noblesville, IN – Deer Creek Music Center) beautiful rendition - Roi shines once again
3. Doobie Thing (8.31.93 – Charlottesville, VA – Trax) 1st Doobie - only multi of it, great great jam that needs to be heard.

Side E
1. Snow Outside (5.30.15 – Atlanta, GA – Aaron’s Amphitheatre at Lakewood) beautiful, underrated, and unheard version (unless you were there). Jeff and Rashawn carry the outro.
2. Warehouse (6.22.96 – Clarkston, MI – Pine Knob Music Theatre) Toy Soldiers intro, great BT

Side F
1. Say Goodbye (7.25.00 – Denver, CO – Mile High Stadium) One of the best Say Goodbye's ever - nice makeup for the error of not putting it on the BOWA v1 disc (as its listed on there)
2. #41 (12.29.96 – Landover, MD – USAir Arena) if you ever wanted to hear the album version live, this is it. Sounds exactly like the album, great Roi on sax and flute, BT is great - driving performance.

Side G
1. Don’t Drink The Water (7.13.04 – Darien Center, NY – Darien Lake PAC) powerful performance, great intro, really shines and might be the best track overall
2. Big Eyed Fish > Granny (6.21.13 – Noblesville, IN – Klipsch Music Center) nice two for one extra track, with fan fav BEF (with great Jeff) and a super tight Granny

Side H
1. Raven (4.4.02 – Washington, DC – MCI Center) This is the best Raven ever. Stefan's bass carries the song. Great Roi, Dave's emotion bleeds through the lyrics
2. #34 (8.20.05 – George, WA – The Gorge Amphitheatre) simply a beautiful performance
3. I’ll Back You Up (11.7.96 – Seattle, WA – KeyArena at Seattle Center) Dave tells a wonderful story of how he played this for Carter, and then gives a powerful lyric with accompaniment from Carter

Side I
1. Bartender (4.7.02 – Boston, MA – Fleet Center) the #1 fan fav performance of the song. Butch plays a beautiful outro with If I Only had a Brain interpolation
2. Falling Off The Roof (7.8.07 – Bridgeview, IL – Toyota Park) only live performance - it sticks with you

Side J
1. Break For It (7.4.10 – Elkorn, WI – Alpine Valley Music Center) rare live song, this is the best Break For It
2. Rhyme & Reason (9.27.94 – Charlottesville, VA – McIntire Amphitheatre) early performance, powerful - great Carter and Stefan. Dedicated to Lillywhite
3. What You Are (6.14.08 – Hartford, CT – New England Dodge Music Center) features a Lying in the Hands of God interpolation, great lyric from Dave.
Probably the best WYA ever

now you feel better?

robby_idol 07-11-2017 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jets42689 (Post 16832170)

Wondering the same myself. A few are obvious fan favorites (Bartender 4/7/02, Falling off the Roof, Doobie Thing, Toy Soldiers>Warehouse, etc)

Regardless, not everything needs to be super special since every song picked is amazing. Really really excited about this, it's like 3 amazing WH discs dumped at once :lol

chrisjuniper 07-11-2017 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justink (Post 16832129)
Dumb.

yeah those crappy sounding tapes are way better than professionally mixed/mastered songs.

BTBaboon 07-11-2017 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake (Post 16832195)
now you feel better?

Thanks for going through that, Jake :thumbsup

ExistenceNow 07-11-2017 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjuniper (Post 16832198)
yeah those crappy sounding tapes are way better than professionally mixed/mastered songs.

That's not what he said.

ToySoldier#34 07-11-2017 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 16832128)
the revisionist history is annoying me a little...everyone has called this song a turd for 10 years

I don't remember anyone ever saying anything negative about it, you could be right but I had a completely different impression

jets42689 07-11-2017 06:05 AM

Thanks Jake. I already bought it but yes haha

jets42689 07-11-2017 06:06 AM

Praying it comes with a digital download bc i have no equipment nor do i have $900 to spend

chrisjuniper 07-11-2017 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExistenceNow (Post 16832202)
That's not what he said.

It's exactly what he's inferring if you can't read.

"Live compilations are lame, we have tapes"

Sounds like an assertion that tapes are adequate to listen to previously unreleased live material, which they aren't. Tapes are garbage. The best sounding tapes still sound terribly. Yes I see his point he'd prefer those unreleased studios, that's not my issue with his otherwise idiotic statement. Cool you have 60k posts and he has 30k, but a garbage opinion is still garbage.

ToySoldier#34 07-11-2017 06:08 AM

:lol calling out a mod

Aforauer 07-11-2017 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jets42689 (Post 16832208)
Praying it comes with a digital download bc i have no equipment nor do i have $900 to spend

Same here. Had to get it. Either it comes with a digital download and I play it or it doesn't and I'll open it and probably sit on the shelf. Not buying all the equipment. It's 2017, shouldn't be limited to only a vinyl. Would be ridiculous if it was only vinyl for $175.

chrisjuniper 07-11-2017 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 16832213)
:lol calling out a mod

who cares. They're no better than anyone else here, nor do their opinions mean any more than anyone else

BTBaboon 07-11-2017 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjuniper (Post 16832209)

Sounds like an assertion that tapes are adequate to listen to previously unreleased live material, which they aren't. Tapes are garbage. The best sounding tapes still sound terribly. Yes I see his point he'd prefer those unreleased studios, that's not my issue with his otherwise idiotic statement. Cool you have 60k posts and he has 30k, but a garbage opinion is still garbage.

This is the real garbage opinion.

I love how people beg for a tape of a show the next day, with zero recognition for the work the tapers do, and then people bitch about the tapes not sounding good.

chrisjuniper 07-11-2017 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 16832216)
This is the real garbage opinion.

I love how people beg for a tape of a show the next day, with zero recognition for the work the tapers do, and then people bitch about the tapes not sounding good.

I don't listen to tapes because taping quality is unanimously poor. It's 2017, the band should release soundboard mixes of current shows much like Phish or Dead & Co. Tapes shouldn't exist anymore.

ExistenceNow 07-11-2017 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjuniper (Post 16832209)

You mean implying. The writer implies. The reader infers. If you want to imply (see how that works) that I'm an idiot, you may want to use the correct word so you don't sound like one yourself.

Quote:

Sounds like an assertion that tapes are adequate to listen to previously unreleased live material, which they aren't. Tapes are garbage. The best sounding tapes still sound terribly. Yes I see his point he'd prefer those unreleased studios, that's not my issue with his otherwise idiotic statement.
That's not what you initially posted. What you inferred (see how that works) initially from his post was that he was saying a tape is better than a mastered soundboard. I said he wasn't. Now you're rolling it back to "adequate to listen to."

Quote:

Cool you have 60k posts and he has 30k, but a garbage opinion is still garbage.
Neither of us mentioned our post count as some sort of measure of the validity of our opinion (hell, I didn't even state an opinion) so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up.

I'm also not sure why you're so rattled that you need to go off like that. Take a deep breath, man.

ExistenceNow 07-11-2017 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjuniper (Post 16832217)
I don't listen to tapes because taping quality is unanimously poor. It's 2017, the band should release soundboard mixes of current shows much like Phish or Dead & Co. Tapes shouldn't exist anymore.

Did a taper yell at you for screaming into his mics or something? You have a truly irrational dislike for something that is given to the community for free.

BTBaboon 07-11-2017 06:33 AM

Quote:

I don't listen to tapes

Quote:

taping quality is unanimously poor

Do you not listen, or do you listen and find the quality poor?

Listen to some of the D&T tapes from this year, quality is excellent. There's cases where I prefer the taper pull to official released mixes.

Tapers are a huge help to us fans, and they really don't deserve this kind of bashing of their work.

mcwyffe 07-11-2017 06:44 AM

Lol at major rattling happening right now.

thedak 07-11-2017 06:45 AM

Alrighty Then....

kingofkings 07-11-2017 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExistenceNow (Post 16832229)
Did a taper yell at you for screaming into his mics or something? You have a truly irrational dislike for something that is given to the community for free.

:lol I know right. I can't believe I'm seeing this kind of talk about tapes. Tapes are the only reason I've been able to enjoy unreleased songs this whole time, like Break For It, and versions of songs that are unreleased. And those tapes that I have in my huge collection, ranging from the early days, to 2012 sound better than ANYTHING Rob Evans has mixed in the past couple years. The 2012 tapes especially. I listen to the East Rutherford tapes from the winter tour more than any recent live release.

bigbeartilidie 07-11-2017 06:49 AM

:lol :lol :lol

socopithy 07-11-2017 06:49 AM

chrisjuniper is the guy at a show who records every song from the back of uppers with his camera light on the whole time.

socopithy 07-11-2017 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 16832230)
Do you not listen, or do you listen and find the quality poor?

Listen to some of the D&T tapes from this year, quality is excellent. There's cases where I prefer the taper pull to official released mixes.

Tapers are a huge help to us fans, and they really don't deserve this kind of bashing of their work.

Heck, I said not long ago to my wife that I couldn't care less if 1.16 and 1.17 2015 D&T from Oakland never gets an official release because the tapes are just so damn good.

chrisjuniper 07-11-2017 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socopithy (Post 16832248)
chrisjuniper is the guy at a show who records every song from the back of uppers with his camera light on the whole time.

I'm a huge asshole, but that's too far.

socopithy 07-11-2017 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjuniper (Post 16832252)
I'm a huge asshole, but that's too far.

Thanks for the sig. I was torn about what to use next.

Musicology200 07-11-2017 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socopithy (Post 16832258)

:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn LOL

axelrod 07-11-2017 07:08 AM

Quote:

Game over // :multi

justink 07-11-2017 07:11 AM

:lol

wow.

dobyblue 07-11-2017 07:11 AM

Quote:

Except it has a comma where you've put a period, that's not playing fair.

chadizzy1 07-11-2017 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake (Post 16832195)
Side A
1. Seek Up (8.29.95 – Philadelphia, PA – Mann Center) Sold performance from the early days and just short enough to make it onto a vinyl
2. JTR (5.2.01 – Greenville, SC – Bi-Lo Center) only time Rain on Me refrain opened JTR. Unique lyrics

Side B
1. You Never Know (8.24.03 – E. Rutherford, NJ – Continental Airlines Arena) One of the best YNK's ever. Great Roi
2. Don’t Burn The Pig (7.31.02 – Bristow, VA – Nissan Pavilion at Stone Ridge) For as much love as the 4.2.02 one gets, this one is better - Best Boyd performance
3. The Stone (9.2.00 – Charlotte, NC – Blockbuster Pavilion) beloved fan favorite performance, and still considered among the top 3 Stone's ever

Side C
1. Shotgun (8.15.09 – W. Palm Beach, FL – Cruzan Amphitheatre) among the best Shotgun performances ever - great powerful version
2. A Dream So Real (9.22.07 Dallas, TX – Smirnoff Music Center) probably the best ADSR ever. Dave's scratchy vocal gives the song a bit more body,
and Rashawn and Roi are great on it

3. Busted Stuff (8.25.00 Hartford, CT – Meadows Music Theatre) Roi is fantastic on this gem that people will soon realize is the best Busted Stuff ever

Side D
1. Kit Kat Jam (6.20.03 – Darien Center, NY – Darien Lake PAC) Roi shines, great unique lyrics, really captures the mood of Dave in 03
2. Lover Lay Down (6.22.00 - Noblesville, IN – Deer Creek Music Center) beautiful rendition - Roi shines once again
3. Doobie Thing (8.31.93 – Charlottesville, VA – Trax) 1st Doobie - only multi of it, great great jam that needs to be heard.

Side E
1. Snow Outside (5.30.15 – Atlanta, GA – Aaron’s Amphitheatre at Lakewood) beautiful, underrated, and unheard version (unless you were there). Jeff and Rashawn carry the outro.
2. Warehouse (6.22.96 – Clarkston, MI – Pine Knob Music Theatre) Toy Soldiers intro, great BT

Side F
1. Say Goodbye (7.25.00 – Denver, CO – Mile High Stadium) One of the best Say Goodbye's ever - nice makeup for the error of not putting it on the BOWA v1 disc (as its listed on there)
2. #41 (12.29.96 – Landover, MD – USAir Arena) if you ever wanted to hear the album version live, this is it. Sounds exactly like the album, great Roi on sax and flute, BT is great - driving performance.

Side G
1. Don’t Drink The Water (7.13.04 – Darien Center, NY – Darien Lake PAC) powerful performance, great intro, really shines and might be the best track overall
2. Big Eyed Fish > Granny (6.21.13 – Noblesville, IN – Klipsch Music Center) nice two for one extra track, with fan fav BEF (with great Jeff) and a super tight Granny

Side H
1. Raven (4.4.02 – Washington, DC – MCI Center) This is the best Raven ever. Stefan's bass carries the song. Great Roi, Dave's emotion bleeds through the lyrics
2. #34 (8.20.05 – George, WA – The Gorge Amphitheatre) simply a beautiful performance
3. I’ll Back You Up (11.7.96 – Seattle, WA – KeyArena at Seattle Center) Dave tells a wonderful story of how he played this for Carter, and then gives a powerful lyric with accompaniment from Carter

Side I
1. Bartender (4.7.02 – Boston, MA – Fleet Center) the #1 fan fav performance of the song. Butch plays a beautiful outro with If I Only had a Brain interpolation
2. Falling Off The Roof (7.8.07 – Bridgeview, IL – Toyota Park) only live performance - it sticks with you

Side J
1. Break For It (7.4.10 – Elkorn, WI – Alpine Valley Music Center) rare live song, this is the best Break For It
2. Rhyme & Reason (9.27.94 – Charlottesville, VA – McIntire Amphitheatre) early performance, powerful - great Carter and Stefan. Dedicated to Lillywhite
3. What You Are (6.14.08 – Hartford, CT – New England Dodge Music Center) features a Lying in the Hands of God interpolation, great lyric from Dave.
Probably the best WYA ever

now you feel better?

Thanks for sharing this, Jake. I was curious about some of these that I had never heard before!

sheldonlevene 07-11-2017 07:15 AM

Solid page ants.

For what it's worth I agree that the value isn't there on this. Pleased for anyone that is getting it, but I can't justify it.

The b-sides stuff would indeed have been preferable, but they seem pretty adamant not to release anything that's not on a major release.

Cryfreedom09 07-11-2017 07:15 AM

So my question is, will this be available on CD? There seem to be some people on here with inside knowledge. Do any of y'all know if it will be available and an approximate time frame? Thanks

kingofkings 07-11-2017 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryfreedom09 (Post 16832297)
So my question is, will this be available on CD? There seem to be some people on here with inside knowledge. Do any of y'all know if it will be available and an approximate time frame? Thanks

no word yet on cd. I spoke with someone at the shop, and they are inquiring on details from the warehouse. as per that person, and another ant posting earlier, they think a download card will be in the box, but they are going to confirm. i should have a reply via email later today from the shop with conformation on cd, download, and/or download card. lets pray for the best. i will post as soon as i get word.

pzamps210 07-11-2017 07:20 AM

Audio question. When you rip vinyl to flac is it seamless? Are there audio quality issues?

kingofkings 07-11-2017 07:21 AM

unless someone has better inside details of course, i'm nobody special lol

socopithy 07-11-2017 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dobyblue (Post 16832284)
Except it has a comma where you've put a period, that's not playing fair.

I have to agree with you. Fixed.

crashintonickdm 07-11-2017 07:28 AM

Rain on me refrain opened JTR 4/21/01...

crashintonickdm 07-11-2017 07:32 AM

Tapes sound like shit? lol that's so incorrect it should require permaban