Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > The 24um


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
MGH4007
dim5
 
MGH4007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 22,232

Shows Seen: 13

Official Phish Discussion

I did a quick search and found tons of threads about phish. hopefully phans can keep most of the chat in one central location.

Anyways.

Who's heard of Gamehendge or The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday? It's one of Phish's first albums, a collection of songs based around one central lyrical theme. It's the story of "Colonel Forbin", and fictinal charater Trey came up with.

From wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamehendge

"Gamehendge is the fictional setting for a number of songs by the rock band Phish. Most of the songs can be traced back to The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday (or TMWSIY), the senior thesis of guitarist and primary vocalist Trey Anastasio, written while he attended Goddard College in 1987. Anastasio developed the main story into Phish's second studio album that same year. It is the only Phish complete album that has never officially been released, although it has been heavily circulated among fans since 1987."

"The Gamehendge saga, as told on The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday album, tells the story of Colonel Forbin, a retired colonel from Long Island, New York, who enters the land of Gamehendge and rescues a document called the Helping Friendly Book from an evil dictator named Wilson."


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man...into_Yesterday

"The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday was the senior study of Trey Anastasio, guitarist and primary vocalist of the rock band Phish, written while he attended Goddard College in 1987.[1][2] The story was an essay piece and is composed primarily of a collection of songs performed by Phish that tell the tale of the fictional land of Gamehendge. The story is told in nine parts with narration in between. It can be compared to The Chronicles of Narnia, The Doors' The Celebration of the Lizard or Rush's 2112 suite. Phish circulated a studio recording of the suite in 1987 and 1988, which quickly became a collector's item. [3] Colonel Forbin is the protagonist of the story. Other characters include Tela, aka "jewel of Wilson's foul domain" and the "evil" Wilson. Several of the narrative sections are accompanied by background music from the Phish songs "Esther" and "McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters." The album's final song, "Possum," is the only song in the Gamehendge cycle not penned by Anastasio (it was written by original Phish guitarist Jeff Holdsworth)."
__________________
Pebbles and marbles,
like words from a friend
MGH4007 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
    NextMovement41
    Brain Damage/Eclipse
     
    NextMovement41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Posts: 15,594

    Shows Seen: 4

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    Good call on the thread, I support it.
    __________________
    The solar garlic starts to rot
    NextMovement41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
    MGH4007
    dim5
     
    MGH4007's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 22,232

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    yea I was kinda aiming at getting a thread moved to the chat forum
    __________________
    Pebbles and marbles,
    like words from a friend
    MGH4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
    timg1414
     
    timg1414's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: NYC
    Posts: 10,163

    Shows Seen: 40
    Send a message via AIM to timg1414

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    I am not sure why we have never had an offical phish thread.
    timg1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
    Barbossa
    Spontaneous Incognito
     
    Barbossa's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Location: ?
    Posts: 18,746

    Shows Seen: 7

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    Willlllllllllllllllsooooooooon
    __________________
    Long-haired freaky people need not apply.
    Barbossa is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
    milo420dmb
     
    Join Date: May 2003
    Location: Central NY
    Posts: 10,737

    Shows Seen: 72

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    how many times has gamehendge been played in it's entirety?

    Only a few times right?
    __________________
    Free Music
    milo420dmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
    pats4life2003
    Big Gulps Huh?
     
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: Central VA
    Posts: 10,544

    Shows Seen: 11

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    hahah this thread popped up WHILE I was listening to Colonel forbin's ascent

    nice that we have this thread...kinda a central location indeed
    pats4life2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
    timg1414
     
    timg1414's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: NYC
    Posts: 10,163

    Shows Seen: 40
    Send a message via AIM to timg1414

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats4life2003 View Post
    hahah this thread popped up WHILE I was listening to Colonel forbin's ascent

    nice that we have this thread...kinda a central location indeed
    Pats4life I didnt realize you were a cville guy. I am heading to the show down there in December I am staying in DC for the weekend. Any advice on things to do in Cville on Saturday besides the lots?
    timg1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
    MGH4007
    dim5
     
    MGH4007's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 22,232

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    I believe it's only been played close to the original setting once. It's been played other times in sections or arrangement differently a few times.
    __________________
    Pebbles and marbles,
    like words from a friend
    MGH4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
    milo420dmb
     
    Join Date: May 2003
    Location: Central NY
    Posts: 10,737

    Shows Seen: 72

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    ^ahh gotcha
    __________________
    Free Music
    milo420dmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
    MGH4007
    dim5
     
    MGH4007's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 22,232

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    yea, and it was in 1988 and 89 I think. I also did not know Trey was not the original guitarist. I really enjoy studying their history, Trey is a great character in today's popular music world to study.
    __________________
    Pebbles and marbles,
    like words from a friend
    MGH4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
    AJF_41
     
    AJF_41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Posts: 52,917

    Shows Seen: 23

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    omg kanye
    __________________
    Adam
    you're talking a lot, but you're not saying anything
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
    UTTAD83
    Mr. Rodgers
     
    UTTAD83's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Milwaukee, WI
    Posts: 16,038

    Shows Seen: 31

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    Nice thread Mitch I definitely will be popping in here.
    __________________
    - Ben

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bila View Post
    i went to bed at 6pm cuz i was so high from smoking too much of this good weed. you cant overdose, you can just pass out.
    UTTAD83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #14
    MGH4007
    dim5
     
    MGH4007's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 22,232

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    if anyone wants "the man who stepped into yesterday" I have it. It's one track mp3 with the whole thing. Songs with narration in between. It's a great listen, i'll up it if anyone wants.
    __________________
    Pebbles and marbles,
    like words from a friend
    MGH4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #15
    milo420dmb
     
    Join Date: May 2003
    Location: Central NY
    Posts: 10,737

    Shows Seen: 72

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MGH4007 View Post
    yea, and it was in 1988 and 89 I think. I also did not know Trey was not the original guitarist. I really enjoy studying their history, Trey is a great character in today's popular music world to study.
    yeah, wasn't there originally two guitarists?

    and some more history, I think their 1st official show was on Halloween in '82 or '83...
    __________________
    Free Music
    milo420dmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #16
    MGH4007
    dim5
     
    MGH4007's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 22,232

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    the track listing here is accurate

    1. "Introduction (Wilson Prelude)"
    2. "The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday"
    3. "The Lizards"
    4. "Tela"
    5. "Traveling Narrative"
    6. "Wilson"
    7. "AC/DC Bag"
    8. "Betrayal Narrative"
    9. "Colonel Forbin's Ascent"
    10. "Fly Famous Mockingbird"
    11. "Errand Wolfe's Narrative"
    12. "The Sloth"
    13. "Forbin in the Dungeon Narrative"
    14. "Possum" (Jeff Holdsworth)
    __________________
    Pebbles and marbles,
    like words from a friend
    MGH4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #17
    UTTAD83
    Mr. Rodgers
     
    UTTAD83's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Milwaukee, WI
    Posts: 16,038

    Shows Seen: 31

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MGH4007 View Post
    if anyone wants "the man who stepped into yesterday" I have it. It's one track mp3 with the whole thing. Songs with narration in between. It's a great listen, i'll up it if anyone wants.

    Just listened to this the other day for the first time in a while
    __________________
    - Ben

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bila View Post
    i went to bed at 6pm cuz i was so high from smoking too much of this good weed. you cant overdose, you can just pass out.
    UTTAD83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #18
    MGH4007
    dim5
     
    MGH4007's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 22,232

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milo420dmb View Post
    yeah, wasn't there originally two guitarists?

    and some more history, I think their 1st official show was on Halloween in '82 or '83...

    I don't recall off the top of my head. I remember them talking about it in Bittersweet Motel (dvd), or one of them. At a fraternity, they played the same set of songs over and over. Eventually the boom box was turned louder than they were. So the story goes.
    __________________
    Pebbles and marbles,
    like words from a friend
    MGH4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #19
    MGH4007
    dim5
     
    MGH4007's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 22,232

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UTTAD83 View Post
    Just listened to this the other day for the first time in a while
    nice, i'm taking a listen right now.
    __________________
    Pebbles and marbles,
    like words from a friend
    MGH4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #20
    hmich176
    The Chief
     
    hmich176's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Location: Hershey, PA
    Posts: 8,902

    Shows Seen: 11

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    I just downloaded a bunch of early shows from 83-86. I knew they covered some Grateful Dead songs, but I didn't realize they covered as much as they did, as often as they did in those years.
    __________________
    Hi, I'm Harry. I'm on Twitter and Untappd.

    The last chorus of Belly Belly Nice is acceptable to sing, but the third verse of Grey Street is not? #OccupyGreyStreet
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #21
    pats4life2003
    Big Gulps Huh?
     
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: Central VA
    Posts: 10,544

    Shows Seen: 11

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    yeah, I've lived in cville my whole life

    I would suggest the downtown mall. Gorgeous outside walk in downtown cville.

    The corner of UVA is a must. Check out the lawn and the rotunda 100%.

    Barrack's Road is gorgeous around christmas time. I would take a trip up the blue ridge parkway or go check out monticello.

    The corner and downtown mall are a must though!
    HOPE THIS HELPS!
    pats4life2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #22
    davidhamrick10
    Poster Nutbag!!!!!!!
     
    davidhamrick10's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Frankfort, KY
    Posts: 6,089

    Shows Seen: 10
    Send a message via AIM to davidhamrick10

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MGH4007 View Post
    I don't recall off the top of my head. I remember them talking about it in Bittersweet Motel (dvd), or one of them. At a fraternity, they played the same set of songs over and over. Eventually the boom box was turned louder than they were. So the story goes.
    The story is they where playing Susie Q or Proud Mary(some CCR tune) and the people there turned the radio up and it was playing Thriller. They kept getting louder and the people kept turning the radio louder.

    Anyway, I support this thread.
    __________________
    When I get home from work, what do I do? TRY TO KILL YOU!!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by highlander4 View Post
    What kind of a crack pipe organization do you work for if your boss hates trains???
    davidhamrick10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #23
    timg1414
     
    timg1414's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: NYC
    Posts: 10,163

    Shows Seen: 40
    Send a message via AIM to timg1414

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats4life2003 View Post
    yeah, I've lived in cville my whole life

    I would suggest the downtown mall. Gorgeous outside walk in downtown cville.

    The corner of UVA is a must. Check out the lawn and the rotunda 100%.

    Barrack's Road is gorgeous around christmas time. I would take a trip up the blue ridge parkway or go check out monticello.

    The corner and downtown mall are a must though!
    HOPE THIS HELPS!
    Thanks I have been to Cville once for the opening show with DMB a few years back it was a disaster. Drove 7hrs on roadtrip with my friends we went to the show and then broke down on the way home and had to sleep at the car dealership parking lot for 2 nights because all the hotels were booked and it was a Sunday. Probably the worst experience of my life. I hope I get to check out those sites and Cville will treat me better this time around.
    timg1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #24
    davidhamrick10
    Poster Nutbag!!!!!!!
     
    davidhamrick10's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Frankfort, KY
    Posts: 6,089

    Shows Seen: 10
    Send a message via AIM to davidhamrick10

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MGH4007 View Post
    the track listing here is accurate

    1. "Introduction (Wilson Prelude)"
    2. "The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday"
    3. "The Lizards"
    4. "Tela"
    5. "Traveling Narrative"
    6. "Wilson"
    7. "AC/DC Bag"
    8. "Betrayal Narrative"
    9. "Colonel Forbin's Ascent"
    10. "Fly Famous Mockingbird"
    11. "Errand Wolfe's Narrative"
    12. "The Sloth"
    13. "Forbin in the Dungeon Narrative"
    14. "Possum" (Jeff Holdsworth)
    This is for Trey's senior thesis. Phish has never played a full TMWSIY at a show but I believe there are 4 sets that are considered "Gameheng" that have most of the tunes in them.
    __________________
    When I get home from work, what do I do? TRY TO KILL YOU!!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by highlander4 View Post
    What kind of a crack pipe organization do you work for if your boss hates trains???
    davidhamrick10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #25
    pats4life2003
    Big Gulps Huh?
     
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: Central VA
    Posts: 10,544

    Shows Seen: 11

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    what is everyone's favorite live phish album??

    I gotta go with 15 or 11

    15 is just amazing to me

    best Simple of all-time
    pats4life2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #26
    milo420dmb
     
    Join Date: May 2003
    Location: Central NY
    Posts: 10,737

    Shows Seen: 72

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmich176 View Post
    I just downloaded a bunch of early shows from 83-86. I knew they covered some Grateful Dead songs, but I didn't realize they covered as much as they did, as often as they did in those years.
    I didn't realize that either until I just read that also... they also promoted themselves as a GD cover band in the early days
    __________________
    Free Music
    milo420dmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #27
    MGH4007
    dim5
     
    MGH4007's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 22,232

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidhamrick10 View Post
    This is for Trey's senior thesis. Phish has never played a full TMWSIY at a show but I believe there are 4 sets that are considered "Gameheng" that have most of the tunes in them.
    correct
    __________________
    Pebbles and marbles,
    like words from a friend
    MGH4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #28
    MGH4007
    dim5
     
    MGH4007's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 22,232

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    so who's going to albany?
    __________________
    Pebbles and marbles,
    like words from a friend
    MGH4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #29
    milo420dmb
     
    Join Date: May 2003
    Location: Central NY
    Posts: 10,737

    Shows Seen: 72

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MGH4007 View Post
    so who's going to albany?
    I believe I will be there for Friday night... (heading to Philly for biscuits on Sat)
    __________________
    Free Music
    milo420dmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #30
    davidhamrick10
    Poster Nutbag!!!!!!!
     
    davidhamrick10's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Frankfort, KY
    Posts: 6,089

    Shows Seen: 10
    Send a message via AIM to davidhamrick10

    Re: Official: Phish Discussion

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats4life2003 View Post
    what is everyone's favorite live phish album??

    I gotta go with 15 or 11

    15 is just amazing to me

    best simple of all-time
    13-10/31/94
    __________________
    When I get home from work, what do I do? TRY TO KILL YOU!!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by highlander4 View Post
    What kind of a crack pipe organization do you work for if your boss hates trains???
    davidhamrick10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Tags
    phish

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Matt's Twitter
    Jake's Twitter
    Joe's Twitter