**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread** - Page 521 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #15601
thedak

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

Not horrible but I don't care for how it sounds, so I use the line in side with my Shiit Mani.
thedak is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #15602
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ForkInFork View Post
    Do you guys have a top 5 best sounding albums regardless of genre? Meaning the best representation of what a well mixed, mastered, and pressed vinyl can sound like.
    Hmm, not sure I can keep it to top 5, but I'll list a few. No particular order. Discogs links in the Artist - Title headers and some links for where to buy if interested:

Dave Matthews Band - Crash: All analog master and cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering and pressed at MPO. Some bias here but this is a perfect release and what every band should model anniversary vinyl releases after. If Radiohead had done this with OK Computer, it would have been 1000x better; missed chance. Anyways, this is a must have for any DMB fan. $30 on Amazon

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik: All analog cut. Not sure if Bellman did this or Grundman himself, but it was cut at BGM. Maybe one of the best sounding remastered albums in my collection. It's extremely detailed and "revealing". Definitely recommend picking this up, both on the quality and the music itself - one of the best albums of the early 90's. $30 on Amazon

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium: Another all analog mastering and cut RHCP album, this one by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray. All versions (original, deluxe, and reissue) use the same stampers. It's a rarity that a 2006 album was recorded analog, so it's wonderful they kept the vinyl AAA. Full bass, and a really detailed high end. Highly recommend if you're into the band, it's a steal at $37 for a 4xLP

Nirvana - In Utero
    : Released for the album's 20th anniversary, this was a direct metal mastering and cut that used the albums original cut and contains a bonus disc featuring alternate mixes. There was also a version released in 2013 with all alternative mixes and was also all analog. Both are great and fully dynamic, though I prefer the original mix. Whichever mix you prefer, go with that version, you won't be let down.
    $50 for the 20th Anniversary release | $25 for the 2013 mix thru Walmart

Nirvana - Nevermind: Bernie Grundman mastered this one himself, and keeping with the theme from above this is all analog as well. Maybe the best album of the 90's, this is (in my opinion) the ultimate version of it. This master was released by ORG in 2009, but it was released again from the Geffen label using the same stamper in 2013 and pressed at Pallas. $20 on Amazon

Van Morrison - Moondance: This is the 2008 release, mastered and cut analog by Steve Hoffman & Kevin Gray at Acoustech and pressed at RTI. There's a really good discussion about this remaster and specifically the mix of Into the Mystic over at the Steve Hoffman Forums. $18 on Amazon

Phish - Junta/A Picture of Nectar/Lawn Boy/Rift/Hoist: All of these Phish albums are fan-freaking-tastic sounding. Bellman did them all at BGM and used all analog sources and cuts for each, minus Rift which was cut from hi-res digital files. All can be found at Phish Dry Goods for $50 each

The Beatles - 2014 Mono Remasters: If you want the ultimate, most true to the original, Beatles releases; this is what you want. These are all analog and do everything to mimic the UK first press releases. There's always good debate about Mono/Stereo for The Beatles, but there's no debate that these are top notch releases. You can buy the whole box for ~$350 or each release individually for $15-$25 each

Honorable Mentions: Alice in Chains - Dirt (MOV Release), Blind Melon - S/T (MOV Release), Stone Temple Pilots - Core (MOV Release), White Stripes - Icky Thump, Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little Pill, and Fiona Apple - Tidal (VMP Release)

Those are my favorites. There's a bunch of other really good sounding ones in my collection, but if I had 1 day on a top end system, the above is what I'd demo on it.

Hope other's share! Always in the market for some recommendations!

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #15603
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thedak View Post
    R-15PMs have a grounding lug and switch to allow direct input from a turntable.
    Oh wow, I had no idea - that's my mistake!

Old 07-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #15604
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Hope everyone's having a good Friday. Tonight I'm spinning some Phish and drinking some brews from The Alchemist out of Vermont

https://www.instagram.com/p/BW06ptjB...y=btsvinylfarm

Cheers my fellow vinyl addicts!

Old 07-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #15605
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

I love that set but it is just so damn big. I never find time to listen to all of it.
    mcwyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2017, 10:59 PM   #15606
    Floyd47

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I have been doing some research on TTs. I know a lot of posters in this thread recommend the Debut Carbon. I'm interested in that one but I've seen a few things on other forums about issues with hum / buzz. Have any of you found that to be an issue with the Debut Carbon?
    Floyd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2017, 05:46 AM   #15607
    Tak_a_Tak

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Floyd47 View Post
    I have been doing some research on TTs. I know a lot of posters in this thread recommend the Debut Carbon. I'm interested in that one but I've seen a few things on other forums about issues with hum / buzz. Have any of you found that to be an issue with the Debut Carbon?
    The only buzz I get from my Debut Carbon is in my brain when the music hits me.

I've not had any issues with the table.
    vinyl collection
    Tak_a_Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2017, 06:02 AM   #15608
    Tak_a_Tak

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Do you guys have a top 5 best sounding albums regardless of genre? Meaning the best representation of what a well mixed, mastered, and pressed vinyl can sound like.
    1) Red Hot Chili Pepers ~ Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Would have to agree on everything Baboon already said. It's amazing.

2) Ryan Adam ~ Love Is Hell. The Mofi pressing this is probably the best sounding release I own.

3) Pearl Jam ~ 10. This record never gets old for me, and the original pressing really let's the material shine.

4) Wilco ~ Sky Blue Sky. So good from start to finish, one of my favorite Wilco records.

5) The Raconteurs ~ Both albums Broken Boy Soldiers and Consolers of the Lonely are great rock albums done right.
    vinyl collection
    Tak_a_Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #15609
    rschlad04

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Hmm, not sure I can keep it to top 5, but I'll list a few. No particular order. Discogs links in the Artist - Title headers and some links for where to buy if interested:

Dave Matthews Band - Crash: All analog master and cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering and pressed at MPO. Some bias here but this is a perfect release and what every band should model anniversary vinyl releases after. If Radiohead had done this with OK Computer, it would have been 1000x better; missed chance. Anyways, this is a must have for any DMB fan. $30 on Amazon

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik: All analog cut. Not sure if Bellman did this or Grundman himself, but it was cut at BGM. Maybe one of the best sounding remastered albums in my collection. It's extremely detailed and "revealing". Definitely recommend picking this up, both on the quality and the music itself - one of the best albums of the early 90's. $30 on Amazon

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium: Another all analog mastering and cut RHCP album, this one by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray. All versions (original, deluxe, and reissue) use the same stampers. It's a rarity that a 2006 album was recorded analog, so it's wonderful they kept the vinyl AAA. Full bass, and a really detailed high end. Highly recommend if you're into the band, it's a steal at $37 for a 4xLP

Nirvana - In Utero
    : Released for the album's 20th anniversary, this was a direct metal mastering and cut that used the albums original cut and contains a bonus disc featuring alternate mixes. There was also a version released in 2013 with all alternative mixes and was also all analog. Both are great and fully dynamic, though I prefer the original mix. Whichever mix you prefer, go with that version, you won't be let down.
    $50 for the 20th Anniversary release | $25 for the 2013 mix thru Walmart

Nirvana - Nevermind: Bernie Grundman mastered this one himself, and keeping with the theme from above this is all analog as well. Maybe the best album of the 90's, this is (in my opinion) the ultimate version of it. This master was released by ORG in 2009, but it was released again from the Geffen label using the same stamper in 2013 and pressed at Pallas. $20 on Amazon

Van Morrison - Moondance: This is the 2008 release, mastered and cut analog by Steve Hoffman & Kevin Gray at Acoustech and pressed at RTI. There's a really good discussion about this remaster and specifically the mix of Into the Mystic over at the Steve Hoffman Forums. $18 on Amazon

Phish - Junta/A Picture of Nectar/Lawn Boy/Rift/Hoist: All of these Phish albums are fan-freaking-tastic sounding. Bellman did them all at BGM and used all analog sources and cuts for each, minus Rift which was cut from hi-res digital files. All can be found at Phish Dry Goods for $50 each

The Beatles - 2014 Mono Remasters: If you want the ultimate, most true to the original, Beatles releases; this is what you want. These are all analog and do everything to mimic the UK first press releases. There's always good debate about Mono/Stereo for The Beatles, but there's no debate that these are top notch releases. You can buy the whole box for ~$350 or each release individually for $15-$25 each

Honorable Mentions: Alice in Chains - Dirt (MOV Release), Blind Melon - S/T (MOV Release), Stone Temple Pilots - Core (MOV Release), White Stripes - Icky Thump, Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little Pill, and Fiona Apple - Tidal (VMP Release)

Those are my favorites. There's a bunch of other really good sounding ones in my collection, but if I had 1 day on a top end system, the above is what I'd demo on it.

Hope other's share! Always in the market for some recommendations!
    ]Love RHCP Stadium Arcadium is my favorite album by them. Sounds so good on vinyl. I purchased Blood Sugar Sex Magik from walmart for $20. I think it's the German pressing, not sure if thats the same as the one you have, but I think it sounds great!

"This is a love song, its more specifically about fucking" - DJM
    rschlad04 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2017, 01:18 PM   #15610
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rschlad04 View Post
    ]Love RHCP Stadium Arcadium is my favorite album by them. Sounds so good on vinyl. I purchased Blood Sugar Sex Magik from walmart for $20. I think it's the German pressing, not sure if thats the same as the one you have, but I think it sounds great!
    The German press of BSSM is pretty good, but the 2012 cut is my favorite. If you click on the link in the title to that one it'll take you to the discogs entry for that version

Old 07-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #15611
    rschlad04

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The German press of BSSM is pretty good, but the 2012 cut is my favorite. If you click on the link in the title to that one it'll take you to the discogs entry for that version
    Dumb question, but how exactly do you identify which version you have? Is it the markings near the inside of the record itself? I feel like I'm guessing most of the time.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

"This is a love song, its more specifically about fucking" - DJM
    rschlad04 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2017, 01:38 PM   #15612
    jets42689

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That turntable, assuming it turns on and spins, should be more than fine! I'd suggest replacing the needle but other than that you should be set after a quick wipe/dusting if needed. This stylus should work fine as a starter - https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...eywords=AT+95E

Once you have the table set, you'll need a phono preamplifier to take the sound signal to a line level. On the low end of a budget, I'd recommend this one - https://www.amazon.com/ART-Audio-DJP...s=phono+preamp

From there it really depends on what you want to do with those amps/receivers. It's hard to tell from those photos what you really have. Do you know what brand/model they are? And do they turn on if plugged in?

If you don't want to use those receivers, and don't want to buy a new one, you can get a pair of active/powered speakers to connect directly to the phono preamplifier. Again, on the low end of the budget I'd recommend this - https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280...ywords=edifier

So between the new cart, the phono preamp, and the speakers; you'd be around $180 for everything and would have a pretty nice starting setup that would sound good and more importantly would take care of your records

Thank you again! So im here now and took some better pics of the receivers? Should i take them? I dont want to go too cheap, is what you showed me ok quality?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a0cc10a835.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3544d04793.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old 07-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #15613
    jets42689

My Tour Central Stats

Heres more https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3e79d654ab.jpg

Old 07-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #15614
    jets42689

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jets42689 View Post

Last one!! They have quite a few lol. So what should i do? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...66af626f72.jpgz g

Old 07-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #15615
    jets42689

My Tour Central Stats

Also, is there any wires or chords I need to buy? Not sure they will have what I need.

I know I'm asking a million questions, but I am very thankful for everyone's help :-)
    Old 07-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #15616
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thank you again! So im here now and took some better pics of the receivers? Should i take them? I dont want to go too cheap, is what you showed me ok quality?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a0cc10a835.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3544d04793.jpg

Quote:

Quote:
    Last one!! They have quite a few lol. So what should i do? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...66af626f72.jpgz g

Quote:
    Also, is there any wires or chords I need to buy? Not sure they will have what I need.

I know I'm asking a million questions, but I am very thankful for everyone's help :-)
    I'd go with either of the last two you linked (Marantz SR-82 MK II, or the Pioneer VSX 520). Once you have everything, you can demo each unit and decide what you like better. Having a receiver will open up more speaker options since you won't be limited to powered units.

What I initially recommended is fine quality wise, but if your budget is bigger then there's obviously more you can do. You'll still need a new cartridge/stylus for the turntable, a phono preamplifier (to connect to the receiver), and speakers or nice headphones. If you have a budget or dollar limit, I can make recommendations in that range.

As far as wires, you'll need RCA cables to connect the Turntable to the phono preamp, and another set to connect from the preamp to the receiver. Then you'll just need gauge speaker wire (preferably pure copper) to connect to your speakers

Last edited by BTBaboon; 07-23-2017 at 07:31 AM.
    Old 07-24-2017, 06:57 AM   #15617
    thedak

My Tour Central Stats

I have a brand new red for sale if someone is interested or needs one. Stepping up to a blue.

This table says it comes with a silver cart but in reality the 99 made for the US get the red...

Gotta love that on a $1500 table... I wouldn't have bought it had I known that limited edition or not.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4302/3...1cf52767_z.jpg
    Old 07-24-2017, 07:19 AM   #15618
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have a brand new red for sale if someone is interested or needs one. Stepping up to a blue.

This table says it comes with a silver cart but in reality the 99 made for the US get the red...

Gotta love that on a $1500 table... I wouldn't have bought it had I known that limited edition or not.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4302/3...1cf52767_z.jpg
    What did the retailer say about the lack of full disclosure? I mean, the Silver is around 80% more MSRP than the Red.

Last edited by dobyblue; 07-24-2017 at 07:21 AM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 07:47 AM   #15619
    thedak

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    What did the retailer say about the lack of full disclosure? I mean, the Silver is around 80% more MSRP than the Red.
    I just emailed the US Distributor of the table for an explanation.

I was told to talk to them from Pro-Ject themselves.
    Old 07-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #15620
    StirrinMyCoffee

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Was wondering if I could get some help from you guys. I am upgrading from a u-turn to a pro-ject. I was going to get a used "perfect condition" Debut III for $200, but worried that I should probably spend more to get a new Debut Carbon for $399. Big difference between the two players? Thanks for any suggestions.
    StirrinMyCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #15621
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StirrinMyCoffee View Post
    Was wondering if I could get some help from you guys. I am upgrading from a u-turn to a pro-ject. I was going to get a used "perfect condition" Debut III for $200, but worried that I should probably spend more to get a new Debut Carbon for $399. Big difference between the two players? Thanks for any suggestions.
    The Debut III is a perfectly good entry level table, but the Carbon is definitely a big step up if you can afford it. By going from the Debut III --> Carbon you add:

1. Carbon fiber tonearm (typically only found much more expensive tables.)
    2. DC power supply for added speed stability (this is basically like having the Pro-Ject Speed Box pre-fitted to the table. Earlier versions of the Carbon did not feature this, but it's been added as a standard feature in the last couple of years.)
    3. Comes with Ortofon 2M Red cartridge which is quite a step up from the cartridge on the Debut III, which I believe is an OM 5E.
    4. The Carbon has better, more inert decoupling of the motor from the plinth.

The difference for the $299 retail price of the Debut and the $399 on the Carbon makes the Carbon the no-brainer choice, IMO. However given that you're saying you can get the Debut for $200, obviously there's more to think about. However, consider if you were to buy the Debut III for $200. A 2M Red cartridge is $90 and a Speed Box is around $100. There's your price difference right there without even mentioning the tonearm and other upgrades to the Carbon, so IMO the Carbon is still the pick here assuming it doesn't break your budget.

It's also going to give you a much bigger leap in sonic quality from your U-Turn. A good friend of mine had a U-Turn Orbit Plus, and he upgraded to a Carbon when he found a really good deal on an open box model. He said he was blown away at the difference literally within seconds of dropping the needle on the first record, that it was like night and day.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #15622
    thedak

My Tour Central Stats

Sumiko who distributes Pro-Ject Responded to the red cartridge on my 2Xperience.

They are sending my out a silver without question.

Said a handful of the early Sgt Pepper Limited Tables went out with the red cartridge.

Crazy good customer service from Bill Rudolph.
    Old 07-24-2017, 02:55 PM   #15623
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sumiko who distributes Pro-Ject Responded to the red cartridge on my 2Xperience.

They are sending my out a silver without question.

Said a handful of the early Sgt Pepper Limited Tables went out with the red cartridge.

Crazy good customer service from Bill Rudolph.
    Boom!!

Right on, that's excellent.
    Old 07-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #15624
    StirrinMyCoffee

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The Debut III is a perfectly good entry level table, but the Carbon is definitely a big step up if you can afford it. By going from the Debut III --&gt; Carbon you add:<br>
    <br>
    1. Carbon fiber tonearm (typically only found much more expensive tables.)<br>
    2. DC power supply for added speed stability (this is basically like having the Pro-Ject Speed Box pre-fitted to the table. Earlier versions of the Carbon did not feature this, but it's been added as a standard feature in the last couple of years.)<br>
    3. Comes with Ortofon 2M Red cartridge which is quite a step up from the cartridge on the Debut III, which I believe is an OM 5E. <br>
    4. The Carbon has better, more inert decoupling of the motor from the plinth.<br>
    <br>
    The difference for the $299 retail price of the Debut and the $399 on the Carbon makes the Carbon the no-brainer choice, IMO. However given that you're saying you can get the Debut for $200, obviously there's more to think about. However, consider if you were to buy the Debut III for $200. A 2M Red cartridge is $90 and a Speed Box is around $100. There's your price difference right there without even mentioning the tonearm and other upgrades to the Carbon, so IMO the Carbon is still the pick here assuming it doesn't break your budget.<br>
    <br>
    It's also going to give you a much bigger leap in sonic quality from your U-Turn. A good friend of mine had a U-Turn Orbit Plus, and he upgraded to a Carbon when he found a really good deal on an open box model. He said he was blown away at the difference literally within seconds of dropping the needle on the first record, that it was like night and day.
    This is so helpful. Thanks a ton. Obviously getting the carbon now.

Last edited by StirrinMyCoffee; 07-24-2017 at 04:57 PM.
    StirrinMyCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #15625
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    For me, when I play records for someone when they ask "why records", I go to:
    The first 4 Dire Straits records, especially Communique, that were re-done by WB a few years ago. Everyone here has these by now right? Listen to Doby and get those records! Popmarket will have a deal on them from time to time, and Communique is a perfect example of what you are talking about in terms of mix, mastering, pressing.

Danial Lanois- Acadie. The goldtop edition from a couple years ago is incredible.

DMB-Crash. We are here on a DMB forum, the assumption is we all enjoy DMB music, and this is a must have for a DMB fans collection of records. This was absolutely knocked out of the park and having BTCS (all the studio albums really) done the same way will be great.

The ORG reissue of Nirvana- Unpugged and the 2013 reissues of In Utero. Unplugged sounds dynamite. Its songs you have heard thousands of times, but you havent heard them sound this good. Its the one people comment on the most when I play it for them, probably because they have mostly heard it on the radio or on whatever TV they were using in 1995, and the vinyl has so much more life. I prefer In Utero to Nevermind, its the best Nirvana album IMO and I really enjoy the little differences on the Albini mix.

Beck- Sea Change. Someday I hope to own the MFSL, Ive heard it twice and it nearly brought me to tears both times. The recent reissue is very good, the MFSL is perfection.

Thats 5-ish for me. Other things I play for myself or others for a sonic treat or the Beatles mono reissues, again because its songs they have heard a thousand times but never like this, Miles Davis- Kind of Blue in mono, Neutral Milk Hotel- In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (if you like that mid to late 90s alt/indie sounds this is a perfect record), Interpol- Turn on the Bright Lights the 2012 reissue, Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here, Fleet Foxes -ST, Thelonious Monk- the ORG London Collection records done all analog by Bernie Grundman (that name pops up over and over on the best made vinyl)... So many good choices out there!
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 07:35 AM   #15626
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snake911 View Post
    For me, when I play records for someone when they ask "why records", I go to:
    The first 4 Dire Straits records, especially Communique, that were re-done by WB a few years ago. Everyone here has these by now right? Listen to Doby and get those records! Popmarket will have a deal on them from time to time, and Communique is a perfect example of what you are talking about in terms of mix, mastering, pressing.

Danial Lanois- Acadie. The goldtop edition from a couple years ago is incredible.

DMB-Crash. We are here on a DMB forum, the assumption is we all enjoy DMB music, and this is a must have for a DMB fans collection of records. This was absolutely knocked out of the park and having BTCS (all the studio albums really) done the same way will be great.

The ORG reissue of Nirvana- Unpugged and the 2013 reissues of In Utero. Unplugged sounds dynamite. Its songs you have heard thousands of times, but you havent heard them sound this good. Its the one people comment on the most when I play it for them, probably because they have mostly heard it on the radio or on whatever TV they were using in 1995, and the vinyl has so much more life. I prefer In Utero to Nevermind, its the best Nirvana album IMO and I really enjoy the little differences on the Albini mix.

Beck- Sea Change. Someday I hope to own the MFSL, Ive heard it twice and it nearly brought me to tears both times. The recent reissue is very good, the MFSL is perfection.

Thats 5-ish for me. Other things I play for myself or others for a sonic treat or the Beatles mono reissues, again because its songs they have heard a thousand times but never like this, Miles Davis- Kind of Blue in mono, Neutral Milk Hotel- In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (if you like that mid to late 90s alt/indie sounds this is a perfect record), Interpol- Turn on the Bright Lights the 2012 reissue, Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here, Fleet Foxes -ST, Thelonious Monk- the ORG London Collection records done all analog by Bernie Grundman (that name pops up over and over on the best made vinyl)... So many good choices out there!
    I can't imagine the vinyl of Sea Change sounding better than the 5.1 surround mix on the blu-ray audio release. I haven't heard the vinyl, but the blu-ray audio is reference quality.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #15627
    jets42689

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'd go with either of the last two you linked (Marantz SR-82 MK II, or the Pioneer VSX 520). Once you have everything, you can demo each unit and decide what you like better. Having a receiver will open up more speaker options since you won't be limited to powered units.

What I initially recommended is fine quality wise, but if your budget is bigger then there's obviously more you can do. You'll still need a new cartridge/stylus for the turntable, a phono preamplifier (to connect to the receiver), and speakers or nice headphones. If you have a budget or dollar limit, I can make recommendations in that range.

As far as wires, you'll need RCA cables to connect the Turntable to the phono preamp, and another set to connect from the preamp to the receiver. Then you'll just need gauge speaker wire (preferably pure copper) to connect to your speakers

Alright so i took the pioneer receiver and turntable (and a few Queen records ).

So my dad showed me that the red and white wires (in the below pic) go directly from the turntable to the receiver (in any of the source areas). He said a phono preamp is not necessary. Is this true?

So i definitely need speakers. What should I get? Can i get something real good for $200? Maybe an option for $100, $200, and $3-500?

How can I get those copper wires? (Can you believe how ignorant i am?)

I will buy that stylus you recommended. Should i check with pioneer to see what they recommend first? How in the world do i change stylus?

So apparently I need a special vinyl cloth to clean the vinyl is that right? Where can I get this?

Im sorry for all the millions of questions. You have been amazing. Im very grateful... and pumped to get my Live25 package

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5288e82651.jpg

Old 07-25-2017, 05:17 PM   #15628
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Alright so i took the pioneer receiver and turntable (and a few Queen records ).

So my dad showed me that the red and white wires (in the below pic) go directly from the turntable to the receiver (in any of the source areas). He said a phono preamp is not necessary. Is this true?

So i definitely need speakers. What should I get? Can i get something real good for $200? Maybe an option for $100, $200, and $3-500?

I will buy that stylus you recommended. Should i check with pioneer to see what they recommend first? How in the world do i change stylus?

So apparently I need a special vinyl cloth to clean the vinyl is that right? Where can I get this?

Im sorry for all the millions of questions. You have been amazing. Im very grateful... and pumped to get my Live25 package

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5288e82651.jpg

If you get sound nice and loud then it's true and your turntable has a built-in phono amp. If you can barely hear anything then it's not true and you need a phono preamp.

If the turntable doesn't have a phono built-in, you absolutely cannot just plug into any input.
    Old 07-25-2017, 05:25 PM   #15629
    jets42689

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    If you get sound nice and loud then it's true and your turntable has a built-in phono amp. If you can barely hear anything then it's not true and you need a phono preamp.

If the turntable doesn't have a phono built-in, you absolutely cannot just plug into any input.

This is my turntable:

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/...r/pl-255.shtml

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9307608c13.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f42e8f371c.jpg

Not sure if that tells you anything lol

Old 07-26-2017, 05:03 AM   #15630
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I don't think the PL-255 has a built-in phono preamplifier, but I'm not as sure about the Pioneer VSX 520. On the back of the receiver, is there an input labeled "Phono"? If so, you can use that input. Otherwise, you'll need a phono preamp.

Quote:
    On the low end, these Polks are pretty nice (and ~$30 off right now)

At around $200, these are what I'm using: Klipsch R-15M. There's also a package that includes the speaker wire you need with added banana plugs for $50 more

Quote:
    don't worry, we were all new to this at some point! You're asking great questions. Better ask them now rather than holding back and missing something you need.

As far as the speaker wire, you can shop around amazon for "speaker wire". A lot of it is going to be CCA (copper coated aluminum), which to be honest is probably fine for entry level setups. As you move up through upgrades over the years, you'll probably want higher grade, but for now something like this is probably fine. Get the 100 ft, you may not use it all, but you'll have extra for another time.

Quote:
    You can certainly ask around (perhaps Doby might have a different recommendation?) and google will be your friend there too. As far as installing a new cart/stylus, there's a lot of good youtube videos, but if you have a local record shop or hi-fi store you can probably take it there to have it installed as well.

Quote:
    Not "special" per se, just any microfibre cloth will do. Depending on how dirty some of the records you have are, you might want a spin clean (comes with 2 cloths) or other wet cleaning system. You may also want a carbon fiber brush to use before each play. These types of accessories are option, but will definitely keep your records fresh and sounding good.

Quote:
    No problem, hopefully I'm answering them all in a straight-forward enough way!