2000 - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 02-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #61
onetwothree

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: 2000

I need an official release of 12-17-00. I know dave was sick, I could careless.

This was my first show and the set is great, that seek up to start things off is awsome, I really don't have a complaint about any song in that set. Thank god I saw them in 2000 because it was before everyday stand up and everything after.

I remember getting everyday and looking for grey street and jtr and neither were on it. I listen to everyday thought it was ok but I was rather deep down disappointed.

I agree with everyone that I don't think there is a bad show in that year they were in fine form the whole year.
onetwothree is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #62
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

The #41 from 9/12/00 was great. Love a good JTR opener too.
    Old 02-16-2017, 10:18 PM   #63
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

its not just about the setlist, its about the performances of the songs as well. there are a lot of songs that grew and developed since then that i would rather hear now. just because a show has crush or warehouse or two step doesn't mean its an amazing performance because those songs were missing back then a lot of the parts that now make them great. great shows aren't great just because of the setlist thats written on a paper.
    Old 02-16-2017, 10:24 PM   #64
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    its not just about the setlist, its about the performances of the songs as well. there are a lot of songs that grew and developed since then that i would rather hear now. just because a show has crush or warehouse or two step doesn't mean its an amazing performance because those songs were missing back then a lot of the parts that now make them great. great shows aren't great just because of the setlist thats written on a paper.
    In 2000 crush, warehouse and two step sounded better then they do now
    Old 02-16-2017, 10:36 PM   #65
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I agree with Spoot that it's about the performances, but that's actually the reason why I prefer the older renditions to the more recent. They just sound so crisp on the older stuff to me.
    coldengrey12 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2017, 05:22 AM   #66
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Kind of easy to have great tours when you don't have bad songs, pretty much everything sounded better back then.
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2017, 05:35 AM   #67
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Kind of easy to have great tours when you don't have bad songs, pretty much everything sounded better back then.
    This is true but 2000 is more than that. It had the debut of all those classic tLWS songs and fans got to hear them change and grow each night. If I had the ability to go back and attend shows from any tour This would be it with 04 being choice 1a.
    Old 02-17-2017, 06:57 AM   #68
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    Thanks for all the recs. Just fired up 9/12/00.
    You should start with Polaris N1 (tour opener) and just work your way to the end. It's kind of cool to see the progression of the Lillywhite tunes through the course of the summer.

That was such an amazing summer. Do yourself a favor, and if you don't want to start from 6/19/00, jump ahead and check out 9/18/00. You won't be disappointed. The tape is phenomenal. I'd love to see this as a Live Trax, but I don't even know that it's necessary. I've always loved the sound from the tape.

Dave Matthews Band
    September 18, 2000
    Riverport Amphitheatre, Maryland Heights, MO

The Stone
    The Song That Jane Likes
    Rhyme & Reason
    Crash into Me - Bela Fleck
    Grey Street - Bela Fleck
    JTR
    What Would You Say
    Grace Is Gone
    Lie in Our Graves - Bela Fleck
    Raven
    All Along the Watchtower
    Bartender - Jeff Coffin
    #41 » 27:08 - Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
    Tripping Billies - Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
    -----------------------------------
    #40 [partial] »
    Digging a Ditch
    Too Much

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    Love this show. Warehouse opener is always a solid start. I bought this as a bootleg from a record store in Norman, OK in late 2000 to listen to with an ex-gf. Totally had sex to that #41.
    I was a sucker and bought my fair share of $40 bootlegs I had one called, "Let's Go Philly" - 7/15/00. Probably one of my favorite Lie in Our Graves of all time.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2017, 07:04 AM   #69
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    You should start with Polaris N1 (tour opener) and just work your way to the end. It's kind of cool to see the progression of the Lillywhite tunes through the course of the summer.

That was such an amazing summer. Do yourself a favor, and if you don't want to start from 6/19/00, jump ahead and check out 9/18/00. You won't be disappointed. The tape is phenomenal. I'd love to see this as a Live Trax, but I don't even know that it's necessary. I've always loved the sound from the tape.

Dave Matthews Band
    September 18, 2000

The Stone
    The Song That Jane Likes
    Rhyme & Reason
    Grey Street - Bela Fleck
    JTR
    What Would You Say
    Grace Is Gone
    Raven
    All Along the Watchtower
    Bartender - Jeff Coffin
    #40 [partial] »
    Digging a Ditch
    Too Much

I was a sucker and bought my fair share of $40 bootlegs I had one called, "Let's Go Philly" - 7/15/00. Probably one of my favorite Lie in Our Graves of all time.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I knew better but I was trying to impress that girl. I guess it worked.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2017, 07:09 AM   #70
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I knew better but I was trying to impress that girl. I guess it worked.
    My ex and my go-to was Live at Red Rocks. So much sex had to that first half of the first disc.
    Old 02-17-2017, 07:53 AM   #71
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Dave Matthews Band
    September 18, 2000

The Stone
    The Song That Jane Likes
    Rhyme & Reason
    Grey Street - Bela Fleck
    JTR
    What Would You Say
    Grace Is Gone
    Raven
    All Along the Watchtower
    Bartender - Jeff Coffin
    #40 [partial] »
    Digging a Ditch
    Too Much

Nice. I just put this on. Someone should make a best of 2000 compilation. That would be perfect.
    Old 02-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #72
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

9/13/00 is my go to 2000 show. I always enjoy the jams from that one. Bela on Jimi was fire.
    Old 02-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #73
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Nice. I just put this on. Someone should make a best of 2000 compilation. That would be perfect.
    It helps that I was there :-) But this show delivers on so many levels. Whether I was there or not, I think this show seriously needs to be in the discussion of one of the best shows this band has played. The set list is impeccable, the performances are top notch and then there's Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

I took my own advice and popped this on. Just listening to Grace is Gone makes me miss this sound so bad. It's so great to listen to Grace is Gone and hear Boyd Tinsley playing the violin. I hate that he barely exists on that song, and many others, anymore. Love hearing just him and Dave to start, which now he no longer plays there and we have to hear Tim's slide guitar instead.
    Old 02-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #74
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It helps that I was there :-) But this show delivers on so many levels. Whether I was there or not, I think this show seriously needs to be in the discussion of one of the best shows this band has played. The set list is impeccable, the performances are top notch and then there's Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

I took my own advice and popped this on. Just listening to Grace is Gone makes me miss this sound so bad. It's so great to listen to Grace is Gone and hear Boyd Tinsley playing the violin. I hate that he barely exists on that song, and many others, anymore. Love hearing just him and Dave to start, which now he no longer plays there and we have to hear Tim's slide guitar instead.
    I hate Tim Reynolds from 2008-present. The band doesn't even sound the same anymore. I don't want my face melted on Dive In ya know? 1998 Tim is fantastic. I wish it were like that again.
    Old 02-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #75
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Exactly, I don't mind Tim, I mind the way he is playing. If they sounded closer to Live in Chicago I would be fine with electric guitar being in the mix.
    Old 02-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #76
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

I dig Tim to a degree. At this point he's been a part of the band now for almost 10 years that it would be weird to hear them play without him. And they're never going to go back and play the way they did and ditch all the tunes they've written and played over the course of the last 10 years or so. Boyd just needs to get his sh*t together and start playing again, or get himself turned up when he IS playing and no one can hear him. Also Rashawn is what kills things for me. But I don't want to completely derail and start up another Tim/Rashawn bashing...but Rashawn should totally get the boot.
    Old 02-17-2017, 08:39 AM   #77
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I dig Tim to a degree. At this point he's been a part of the band now for almost 10 years that it would be weird to hear them play without him. And they're never going to go back and play the way they did and ditch all the tunes they've written and played over the course of the last 10 years or so. Boyd just needs to get his sh*t together and start playing again, or get himself turned up when he IS playing and no one can hear him. Also Rashawn is what kills things for me. But I don't want to completely derail and start up another Tim/Rashawn bashing...but Rashawn should totally get the boot.
    No doubt In my mind RR should get the boot. I hate RR so much
    Old 02-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #78
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    No doubt In my mind RR should get the boot. I hate RR so much
    Virtual high five!
    Old 02-17-2017, 08:44 AM   #79
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Virtual high five!
    Exactly. He just doesn't fit with this band. We need more Jeff. Jeff has his on style but he can also play softly as Roi used to.

I want to hear seek up intros with just sax. I bet Jeff would kill on a seek up intro if it wasn't interrupted by the damn blaring trumpet.

On song Jeff absolutely kills is "the stone" holy shit he sound so good on that song.

Last edited by tyler3440; 02-17-2017 at 08:48 AM.
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #80
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

I couldn't be a bigger Tim fan when it comes to D&T at least
    Old 02-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #81
    robby_idol

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I dig Tim to a degree. At this point he's been a part of the band now for almost 10 years that it would be weird to hear them play without him.
    Jesus, it's been almost a decade since Tim rejoined the band. I remember when he was announced just before the 2008 tour, and I was so pumped to catch a couple shows because I thought his return would only be a short-lived thing. My once in a lifetime chance to see DMB with Tim Reynolds

Fuck time flies when you're not in college anymore.
    robby_idol is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #82
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Exactly. He just doesn't fit with this band. We need more Jeff. Jeff has his on style but he can also play softly as Roi used to.

I want to hear seek up intros with just sax. I bet Jeff would kill on a seek up intro if it wasn't interrupted by the damn blaring trumpet.

On song Jeff absolutely kills is "the stone" holy shit he sound so good on that song.
    Definitely on the same page. I agree about Jeff. I think he plays the way he does because of Rashawn. I of course still enjoy DMB in whatever form. There are times I am shocked by a good Rashawn solo, but overall I can't stand him. I've been listening to a lot of older shows the past year or so and just listen to the newer shows via Live Trax releases. You can actually hear Boyd on those.

Damn this 9/18/00 shows is just so good. I sound like a broken record on this site, but their dynamics back then were absolutely perfect. Just got through Watchtower and it's cool to hear them start quiet, get loud, keep some of the intensity through Boyd's solo and then Roi drops it back down a bit making it that much more exciting when they pick things up again and Dave lets out that "Hoooooooooooowwwwlllll!!!!" Now Watchtower (and countless other songs) is turned up to 11 and stays there from beginning to end, which is way less interesting to listen to.
    Old 02-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #83
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robby_idol View Post
    Jesus, it's been almost a decade since Tim rejoined the band. I remember when he was announced just before the 2008 tour, and I was so pumped to catch a couple shows because I thought his return would only be a short-lived thing. My once in a lifetime chance to see DMB with Tim Reynolds

Fuck time flies when you're not in college anymore.
    Not sure if you've hit 30 yet, but if not, get ready to buckle up. I'm 35 now and feel like I turned 30 two years ago.

I felt the same way. I was broke that summer and so badly wanted to see them for that exact same reason. I thought it was just going to be that summer that he toured with them. My now-wife surprised me with tickets to Mansfield 6/25/08. Who knew Roi would be dead and Tim Reynolds would still be here.
    Old 02-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #84
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Listening to this 9/13/00 Jimi Thing....gotta be one of the top 3 ever imo. Good lord. Everyone is killing it. What I would give for Victor Wooten to be the bassist of this band. The possibilites would be endless with him and Carter.

If you got to see DMB in 2000 then you're lucky as shit and cherish that!
    Old 02-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #85
    robby_idol

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not sure if you've hit 30 yet, but if not, get ready to buckle up. I'm 35 now and feel like I turned 30 two years ago.

I felt the same way. I was broke that summer and so badly wanted to see them for that exact same reason. I thought it was just going to be that summer that he toured with them. My now-wife surprised me with tickets to Mansfield 6/25/08. Who knew Roi would be dead and Tim Reynolds would still be here.
    34, turning 35 later this year. I feel like I was 28 just last month.
    robby_idol is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #86
    coldblueice

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

ok but Mistreated Lewis.

what happened to Mistreated Lewis?
    coldblueice is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #87
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Listening to this 9/13/00 Jimi Thing....gotta be one of the top 3 ever imo. Good lord. Everyone is killing it. What I would give for Victor Wooten to be the bassist of this band. The possibilites would be endless with him and Carter.

If you got to see DMB in 2000 then you're lucky as shit and cherish that!
    I absolutely do, that Mile High show is the best DMB show I've seen.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #88
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldblueice View Post
    ok but Mistreated Lewis.

what happened to Mistreated Lewis?

Do a search for "anal cunt."
    Old 02-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #89
    justink

Shows Seen: 51

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Dave Matthews Band
    September 18, 2000

The Stone
    The Song That Jane Likes
    Rhyme & Reason
    Grey Street - Bela Fleck
    JTR
    What Would You Say
    Grace Is Gone
    Raven
    All Along the Watchtower
    Bartender - Jeff Coffin
    #40 [partial] »
    Digging a Ditch
    Too Much
    fyi... they next night's tape is about to get a giant upgrade... and i think it's a better show.
    justink is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #90
    Chalmers4three

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justink View Post
    fyi... they next night's tape is about to get a giant upgrade... and i think it's a better show.
    whats that mean?!?!
    Chalmers4three is offline   Reply With Quote