**Official Running Thread** - Page 83 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #2461
whodat
CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Running Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavnAGdTime View Post
i feel for you northerners. I cannot stand running on treadmills! Winter here in GA is extremely conducive to running. Love running in 30-40 deg weather.

No races here until a half in April. I don't get as excited at the idea of a formal race as I do just taking off on my own with some good tunes.

I got a garmin watch for xmas and it is the best thing ever! No predetermined routes anymore!
Have to say, this winter has been very mild thus far to the north east. But as we all see, that is going to change big time starting tomorrow. No treadmill for this guy, so not sure what I will do at this point. Time for snowshoes.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #2462
    newscane
    It's all about the..

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    First race of the year in the book and could not have asked for a more perfect race. Half marathon in Central Park. The roads were in good shape, no ice to be found after yesterday snow fall and rain. Loved seeing all the snow in the park, makes the suffering a little easier. Time to rest up... 4 miler back in Central Park on Super Bowl Sunday. Should be intersting as we are supposed to get pounded this week with snow.

How is everyone doing the winter? Been pretty mild so far.
    62.2 miles of racing ahead of me in the next 7 weeks or so.

(5k leg on an ultra relay, 30k as part of same event, 5k, full marathon, 5 miler, 15K)
    my taping | my coverart | my shows
    newscane is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2015, 05:27 AM   #2463
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Have to say, this winter has been very mild thus far to the north east. But as we all see, that is going to change big time starting tomorrow. No treadmill for this guy, so not sure what I will do at this point. Time for snowshoes.
    pretty much this. i haven't needed to use treadmills as a plan B

although today i clearly can't leave my house my roommate and i might try an insanity video should be... interesting

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newscane View Post

(5k leg on an ultra relay, 30k as part of same event, 5k, full marathon, 5 miler, 15K)
    helll yea
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2015, 05:46 AM   #2464
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

That is some good race milage. Can't wait for the race reports.
    Old 02-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #2465
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

i've been stalking the chicago marathon page waiting for 2015 info... finally it's out

looks like i missed the guarantee qualifying time by 44 SECONDS!!! jesus christ. going to try my luck with a lottery number anyways. same with NYC

also-this weather has been so bad for my running. treadmilling for the past couple of weeks, which is better than nothing but i can never bring myself to do over 6 miles on it. usually just do random intervals to stimulate my mind... thank god im skipping a spring marathon

Last edited by laura22; 02-08-2015 at 02:29 PM.
    Old 02-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #2466
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Bummer about Chicago entry. Good luck with the lottery. I posted an article on Facebook about the NYC lottery. They are going to be accepting more lottery picks this year since the hold overs from Sandy are almost done. Here is the link so you can get excited and wait to see if you are chosen. Kind of like WH ticket confirmations.

http://www.runnersworld.com/new-york...ll-be-accepted
    Old 02-08-2015, 04:40 PM   #2467
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Bummer about Chicago entry. Good luck with the lottery. I posted an article on Facebook about the NYC lottery. They are going to be accepting more lottery picks this year since the hold overs from Sandy are almost done. Here is the link so you can get excited and wait to see if you are chosen. Kind of like WH ticket confirmations.

http://www.runnersworld.com/new-york...ll-be-accepted
    wow! that's awesome.
    yeah, i entered the first day it opened

how hard is the course?
    Old 02-08-2015, 04:48 PM   #2468
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

There are a couple people I know that were really stoked on the increase in the lottery allotment too. It is such a huge race and they really try to accommodate as many people as they can. It is not an exclusive race like Boston with strict time requirements (they do have those too) but they really want any runner to have a chance to participate. I wish you all the luck in getting in as it is such an amazing race. The course is lined from just over the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge all the way to the finish and 1st Ave and 5th Ave are so much fun.

Course it not that tough. The highest point is in the first mile when you cross the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, then it is pretty flat from there. The only 'hills' are when you have to run across a bridge, then up 5th ave around mile 22. It is 'uphill' finish but by then you are pumped at that point so you don't care. The bigger thing is any wind as the majority of the course runs north so headwinds can be an issue.
    Old 02-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #2469
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    There are a couple people I know that were really stoked on the increase in the lottery allotment too. It is such a huge race and they really try to accommodate as many people as they can. It is not an exclusive race like Boston with strict time requirements (they do have those too) but they really want any runner to have a chance to participate. I wish you all the luck in getting in as it is such an amazing race. The course is lined from just over the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge all the way to the finish and 1st Ave and 5th Ave are so much fun.

Course it not that tough. The highest point is in the first mile when you cross the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, then it is pretty flat from there. The only 'hills' are when you have to run across a bridge, then up 5th ave around mile 22. It is 'uphill' finish but by then you are pumped at that point so you don't care. The bigger thing is any wind as the majority of the course runs north so headwinds can be an issue.
    sounds awesome. between this or chicago, i hope i can get some luck!
    Old 02-09-2015, 05:59 AM   #2470
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

BOOM! Amazon is selling my shoes for 48% off right now. Swooped in and scored two pairs. Also looking into getting a wrist GPS again. I saw this one on Amazon and looks like a really good deal. Anyone use this, something similar or know someone that does? I don't need a ton of bells and whistles, just a solid GPS device that tracks distance, speed, per mile and maybe HR. Any incite is appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerun...250341&sr=1-16
    Old 02-09-2015, 07:12 AM   #2471
    oasisfan35

Shows Seen: 86

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    also-this weather has been so bad for my running. treadmilling for the past couple of weeks, which is better than nothing but i can never bring myself to do over 6 miles on it. usually just do random intervals to stimulate my mind... thank god im skipping a spring marathon
    I signed up for a Winter Warrior Challenge for the month of January, mostly just to be on a team but I also ran zero miles outside last winter and did not want to do that again... bit of motivation. The tiers were for those that ran 1, 3 and 5+ miles a day (bronze/silver/gold) for the entire month. Of the 252 people that started 102 finished, I learned a lot regarding running in winter weather and am looking forward to getting my tech shirt. Also apparently there is a party with some awards, which is cool since our team logged 1200 miles more than the next team.

I will say that I was pretty spent by February first, running on deeply frozen blacktop is not fun. Though I gotta say I never took a tumble, close calls but never completely lost my footing. My shins are looking forward to a week or so of treadmill miles though.
    Old 02-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #2472
    newscane
    It's all about the..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That is some good race milage. Can't wait for the race reports.
    5K relay leg was fine, took it easy, I think I ran close to 24:00? Had about two hours until my 30K started, at 10:30. Was doing okay for the first 12-14 miles, then things started to fall apart. I didn't stash a Gatorade at the start/finish area for the 30k/55k runners, and there wasn't any on the course itself, just water -- which makes sense, when most people are just running 5K. So I wasn't replenishing electrolytes like I normally do with that kind of distance. I was in danger of not replenishing fuel either, because the night before, I realized I was down to one Clif gel! Thankfully, someone else in my club was able to bring me a raspberry one (I usually use vanilla), and I found a second vanilla on my dresser the day of my race -- so I had my usual 3. My last few miles averaged between an 11 and 12 minute pace, although I did have a sub-10 in the middle. Not thrilled with my finish, but given the conditions (also a cold start to the day, but it warmed up), I was fine with it. And it was a great event overall.

This past weekend's 5K had much better results: 23:21, about 30 seconds off my PR. The course was a bit long -- 3.19 by my Garmin -- had it been exactly 3.1, I would have PRed, I think. Still finished 2nd in my AG (small race), got a neat medal.

The marathon is 5 days away... feeling decent about it, got a massage tonight. Watching the forecast carefully -- lows will be around freezing, and I'm not used to that kind of distance in that kind of cold, so I have to plan my clothing carefully.

Quote:
    i've been stalking the chicago marathon page waiting for 2015 info... finally it's out

looks like i missed the guarantee qualifying time by 44 SECONDS!!! jesus christ. going to try my luck with a lottery number anyways. same with NYC

I'm planning to enter the Chicago marathon lottery, possibly the Marine Corps lottery? I can really only do a fall out-of-town race in odd-numbered years (due to elections), and MCM also poses other work scheduling issues that I actually don't have this year. But I think Chicago may be a better bet for my first "big" marathon...

Quote:
    BOOM! Amazon is selling my shoes for 48% off right now. Swooped in and scored two pairs. Also looking into getting a wrist GPS again. I saw this one on Amazon and looks like a really good deal. Anyone use this, something similar or know someone that does? I don't need a ton of bells and whistles, just a solid GPS device that tracks distance, speed, per mile and maybe HR. Any incite is appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerun...250341&sr=1-16
    How old is the FR110? You can probably find the 220 for not that much more... and I think it's a little more polished, feature-wise. Not in terms of major functions, but little things that make it work better. I've had mine for about a year and I love it.
    Old 02-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #2473
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks for the heads up on the 220 Eric. On Amazon it is about $100 more then the $100, but from what I gathered online with a few reviews seems like $100 well spent. Also awesome job on the recent races and good luck in the upcoming marathon.

If I could offer one piece of advice on what to wear due to the weather is do not overdress. As we all know, once you get moving you will warm up and over 26.2 miles that is a long time if you are wearing too much clothing. Look at what the temps will be around your projected finish and plan for that temp when considering what to wear. That will be a good guide on how to prepare.
    Old 02-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #2474
    newscane
    It's all about the..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks for the heads up on the 220 Eric. On Amazon it is about $100 more then the $100, but from what I gathered online with a few reviews seems like $100 well spent. Also awesome job on the recent races and good luck in the upcoming marathon.

If I could offer one piece of advice on what to wear due to the weather is do not overdress. As we all know, once you get moving you will warm up and over 26.2 miles that is a long time if you are wearing too much clothing. Look at what the temps will be around your projected finish and plan for that temp when considering what to wear. That will be a good guide on how to prepare.
    Highs for the day are only in the low-to-mid-40s... but that's a very good point. My cutoff for tights is generally 40 and below. And that generally applies to training runs... which begin well before dawn, so heating is less of a factor. I've pretty much settled on running in shorts -- it's a matter of figuring out the shirt, and what I wear temporarily. I have a pair of warm-up type pants, but they're halfway decent ($15-20 at Target) so I don't necessarily want to just chuck them. I think a 1/4 zip shirt shouldn't be too bad, even after 26.2 miles. Then I just have to figure out how to still represent my running club...
    Old 02-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #2475
    rustysurf83

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

1st 5k of the year today. Hit my pace of mile 1 but died shortly thereafter and was about 60 seconds off my normal time. If I recall correctly it's the first time I've run anything more than 800m intervals since November.
    rustysurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #2476
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

outdoor track was shoveled, so i went there this afternoon..first time running outside in weeks

intended on running 5, hit a runner's high and ran 10

haven't ran double digits since november.. feels good

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rustysurf83 View Post
    1st 5k of the year today. Hit my pace of mile 1 but died shortly thereafter and was about 60 seconds off my normal time. If I recall correctly it's the first time I've run anything more than 800m intervals since November.
    sounds like you still did well with all things considered then, congrats

anyone have any races coming up? need to get something on the calendar soon.. there's a half marathon in boston in may that looks pretty good
    Old 02-20-2015, 04:57 AM   #2477
    oasisfan35

Shows Seen: 86

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    anyone have any races coming up? need to get something on the calendar soon.. there's a half marathon in boston in may that looks pretty good
    Right now my next race is looking like the Moose on the Loose Half in Nashua, NH. I've been doing all my running outside this year but with snow on the way this weekend it might be nice to plan a solid long run on the treadmill.

I also have my other five races planned for the New England Half Marathon tour, the thought of running in warm weather sounds really good right now.
    Old 02-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #2478
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Plan so far is:
    5k- 22 Mar
    Half-12 Apr
    Full-7 Jun
    34.3 and just under 4k elevation gain-11 Jul
    Might add a 50 at the end of June if my work schedule allows. I'm sure I will end up doing quite a few random 5/10k races with the +1.
    Old 03-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #2479
    newscane
    It's all about the..

My Tour Central Stats

Just realized I hadn't been on here since my marathon.. so here goes..
    Ran a 4:03, a 15-minute PR. Was hoping for sub-4:00, so I was just short of that. Pre-race temps wound up being in the upper 40s to low 50s. I ran in shorts, a T-shirt, and a long sleeve 1/4 zip. Figured I'd be fine, and that unzipping it would help keep me cool enough. I was wrong. Within 2 miles, I easily could have taken off the shirt, but since it's one I like, I didn't want to just ditch it. Around mile 14-15, I wound up stopping for about 2 minutes to switch my bib from the long sleeve shirt to the short sleeve shirt, so I could finally take it off (I dropped it a few miles later at a water stop where I had friends volunteering). Around 18, I was really starting to heat up -- the sun was out, and there was no shade. Around 23, we go up onto an overpass, which later includes a bridge. All that, along with the fact that the heat had sapped me a bit, left me a bit defeated for the last few miles... I did a fair amount of walking. Had I started in a T-shirt, I'm confident I would have easily broken 4 -- I wouldn't have had to stop to switch the bib, and I wouldn't have gotten as hot. But it was still a good PR, and there will be more races.

Yesterday, I ran a 5 mile race and PRed by 1:05. Two weeks until the big 15K in town...
    Old 03-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #2480
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Plan so far is:
    5k- 22 Mar
    Half-12 Apr
    Full-7 Jun
    Might add a 50 at the end of June if my work schedule allows. I'm sure I will end up doing quite a few random 5/10k races with the +1.

Quote:
    Ran a 4:03, a 15-minute PR. Was hoping for sub-4:00, so I was just short of that. Pre-race temps wound up being in the upper 40s to low 50s. I ran in shorts, a T-shirt, and a long sleeve 1/4 zip. Figured I'd be fine, and that unzipping it would help keep me cool enough. I was wrong. Within 2 miles, I easily could have taken off the shirt, but since it's one I like, I didn't want to just ditch it. Around mile 14-15, I wound up stopping for about 2 minutes to switch my bib from the long sleeve shirt to the short sleeve shirt, so I could finally take it off (I dropped it a few miles later at a water stop where I had friends volunteering). Around 18, I was really starting to heat up -- the sun was out, and there was no shade. Around 23, we go up onto an overpass, which later includes a bridge. All that, along with the fact that the heat had sapped me a bit, left me a bit defeated for the last few miles... I did a fair amount of walking. Had I started in a T-shirt, I'm confident I would have easily broken 4 -- I wouldn't have had to stop to switch the bib, and I wouldn't have gotten as hot. But it was still a good PR, and there will be more races.

Yesterday, I ran a 5 mile race and PRed by 1:05. Two weeks until the big 15K in town...
    awesome job. a PR is still a PR, and 15 minutes is huge!! and you're right, there will be more races

trying to pick out the right attire is always tricky. my last marathon i faced similar conditions. i wore a tank top, but had arm warmers that i ditched after a few miles. that might be a good option for you if you have future races with similar temperatures. actually they weren't even real arm warmers, i just used really long socks i dont think anyone could tell the difference tho

how have you been recovering, going easy on the running? taking a few weeks off?
    Old 03-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #2481
    newscane
    It's all about the..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

awesome job. a PR is still a PR, and 15 minutes is huge!! and you're right, there will be more races

trying to pick out the right attire is always tricky. my last marathon i faced similar conditions. i wore a tank top, but had arm warmers that i ditched after a few miles. that might be a good option for you if you have future races with similar temperatures. actually they weren't even real arm warmers, i just used really long socks i dont think anyone could tell the difference tho

how have you been recovering, going easy on the running? taking a few weeks off?
    Thank you!

I think I wound up taking that week off... there were a few times I would have run, but it just didn't pan out. Went out the following Saturday and did a solid 6. The next day, a handful of us from our club tried OrangeTheory Fitness for the first time. That kicked my ass, but I've been in need of crosstraining... so I joined! Basically got into a regular week of running this past week... having to shift out of distance mode and into speed mode for the 15K.

I was thinking about doing a marathon in Ormond Beach (about an hour and a half from here) at the end of March. It's a very flat course (part of it's through a state park), and might have given me another shot to break 4 hours. But I'm leaning toward not doing it for several reasons. One, late March can get warm in Florida, although this race starts early (I think 6:30 AM). Two, it's $100 to register at this point, and I'd have to get a hotel room on top of that. Three, it would make three marathons in three months. If you're not going all out on each one, that's not impossible, but if you are... that might be pushing it. I thought it might qualify me for Marathon Maniacs, but it might be just outside of criteria (3 in 93 days vs. 90 days, because of the way the calendars fall). I'm going to enter the lottery for Chicago, and that's going to require a good chunk of change, so I might just skip this one and save the money.

That brings to mind a question: what do you all spend more on these days, running or DMB? This year, I'm pretty sure running will eclipse my DMB, especially if I skip SPAC and do run Chicago...
    Old 03-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #2482
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Awesome job on the PR! Running in weather you don't train in or have experienced during your that time of year is tough to prepare for. There are so many things to consider if you have not done it before or not sure what to expect. But as any runner does, you chalk up to experience and know for next time.

I am sure a sub-4 is in your very near future. You train really well, are consistent in your workouts, races are always progressing with better times. It is there, just need to make it happen. And it will .
    Old 03-02-2015, 07:02 AM   #2483
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Plan so far is:
    5k- 22 Mar
    Half-12 Apr
    Full-7 Jun
    That is a solid running calendar right there. I see a +1, so are these races tied together somehow? Do you qualify for something if complete a certain number of races?
    Old 03-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #2484
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That brings to mind a question: what do you all spend more on these days, running or DMB? This year, I'm pretty sure running will eclipse my DMB, especially if I skip SPAC and do run Chicago...
    I think when I factor in my running shoes, running surpasses DMB. Also, I don't see that many shows these days, but a SPAC run is not cheap when you factor in hotels, food, Ballsfest and transportation up and back. I don't own a car anymore so I either take the train or rent a car so that adds a few bucks to the trip.
    Old 03-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #2485
    newscane
    It's all about the..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Awesome job on the PR! Running in weather you don't train in or have experienced during your that time of year is tough to prepare for. There are so many things to consider if you have not done it before or not sure what to expect. But as any runner does, you chalk up to experience and know for next time.

I am sure a sub-4 is in your very near future. You train really well, are consistent in your workouts, races are always progressing with better times. It is there, just need to make it happen. And it will .
    Thank you!

I'd done a fair number of runs in cold weather, and even some long-ish runs in colder weather. My only 20 miler in between my December marathon & this one was during that ultra event, and I didn't start my 30K until 10:30 AM -- even though it had been colder that morning, it was warming up by the time I ran. My last 20 miler for the December marathon had been back in November... and it's still relatively warm then. What threw me is that it was warmer than forecasts were indicating the day before (which had been significantly warmer than the forecasts earlier in the week), so I wasn't really expecting the warm-up.
    Old 03-03-2015, 10:52 PM   #2486
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That is a solid running calendar right there. I see a +1, so are these races tied together somehow? Do you qualify for something if complete a certain number of races?
    No, that's just a short way of saying my wife. She has taken to running a lot more seriously lately. Although we did get smoked in the Valentine's Day "Partners in Pain" run . Unfortunately my travel schedule for work is too extensive for me to compete in any of the local race series.

Last edited by rustysurf83; 03-03-2015 at 10:53 PM.
    Old 03-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #2487
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

welp, didn't get into nyc. so i entered chicago today, nice that they don't have a fee to apply. won't find out til the very end of april... ahh. my expectations aren't high, but i will be absolutely thrilled if i get in

if i don't, looks like i will be running the hartford marathon for a fall marathon. not a far drive and the course doesn't look very difficult

and i WILL get under 3:35!!!!!!!! and i will run boston in 2016!!!!!

Quote:

definitely running. i don't really go to dmb shows anymore

Last edited by laura22; 03-11-2015 at 05:19 PM.
    Old 03-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #2488
    newscane
    It's all about the..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    welp, didn't get into nyc. so i entered chicago today, nice that they don't have a fee to apply. won't find out til the very end of april... ahh. my expectations aren't high, but i will be absolutely thrilled if i get in

if i don't, looks like i will be running the hartford marathon for a fall marathon. not a far drive and the course doesn't look very difficult

I'm going to apply for Chicago soon. I wish the lottery weren't so long, that way I could put in for Marine Corps if I didn't get Chicago. Not sure what I'll do if I don't get in -- I could do Savannah, that's driving distance, and a lot of people from my club go up there typically. I was talking with someone about it tonight, and she said Chicago is a faster course than MCM -- hopefully that, plus cool Chicago weather, plus a full training cycle will help me break 4:00!!
    Old 03-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #2489
    grace2

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

been lifting the last few months because of the cold.

was nice out today and went on a run and boy i am out of shape. i think lifting and running are just two completely different exercises and my body wasn't used to working itself out for such a long period of consecutive time.
    grace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-12-2015, 06:55 AM   #2490
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No, that's just a short way of saying my wife. She has taken to running a lot more seriously lately. Although we did get smoked in the Valentine's Day "Partners in Pain" run . Unfortunately my travel schedule for work is too extensive for me to compete in any of the local race series.
    Whoops, my bad. Awesome that you two get to do some races together.

Quote:

Bummer about NYC, but good luck on Chicago. And go get that BQ. We all want to come cheer you on down Boyleston.

Quote:
    Whaaaattt?!?! This is blasphemous.