Chicago White Sox - Page 37 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #1081
cwsrule88

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Chicago White Sox

this team is beyond bad. Sale goes out and gets 14 strikeouts and the offense scores 1 run for him. Top of the 9th the Rangers score 2 and another wasted pitching effort by Sale. This team is so embarrassing.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #1082
    rustysurf83

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Why not us?
    rustysurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-29-2015, 08:40 AM   #1083
    monkeyman420

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I'm on board. I still think changes need to be made in the offseason and there are still holes on this team, but right now they are playing great baseball. They are 20-12 in their last 32 games (going back to 6/19). Yes, that is a cherry picked stat but also shows how much better they have been playing recently. Keep it going, the team is finally playing to expectations.

And not that this matters, but KC was 48-50 at this time last year.
    monkeyman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-29-2015, 07:27 PM   #1084
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

Sox have scored 9 or more runs 7 times this season...4 times in the last 5 days.
    Old 07-29-2015, 08:25 PM   #1085
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyman420 View Post
    I'm on board. I still think changes need to be made in the offseason and there are still holes on this team, but right now they are playing great baseball. They are 20-12 in their last 32 games (going back to 6/19). Yes, that is a cherry picked stat but also shows how much better they have been playing recently. Keep it going, the team is finally playing to expectations.

And not that this matters, but KC was 48-50 at this time last year.
    I'm not saying there isn't reason to be excited...

But...

I feel like I've seen this movie before. So many times. Sox are sniffing around a playoff spot around late July with a team that doesn't really deserve it, only to become (K.W.) buyers at the deadline, or just not sellers...and then it fizzles and late August/September is depressing again.

Tempered enthusiasm, is how I'd describe myself.
    Old 07-31-2015, 02:26 PM   #1086
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I think Sox will regret not being sellers. That's how they keep winding up in the same situation. Won't bail on bad seasons to get better for the future, and then you wind up with this.

Beating up the Red Sox is great, but not exactly a great measuring stick. Even if the bats have turned it around, what happened earlier in the year has put them in a bad hole. Meanwhile Toronto, one of the key teams they're chasing, has improved greatly. Maybe the White Sox can stay in the hunt the rest of the way, but making the post-season seems unrealistic at this time. If you're not in the post-season you might as well have a high pick.

Tour 2023: Deer Creek [6/30] [7/01]
    DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2015, 04:19 PM   #1087
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    I think Sox will regret not being sellers. That's how they keep winding up in the same situation. Won't bail on bad seasons to get better for the future, and then you wind up with this.

Beating up the Red Sox is great, but not exactly a great measuring stick. Even if the bats have turned it around, what happened earlier in the year has put them in a bad hole. Meanwhile Toronto, one of the key teams they're chasing, has improved greatly. Maybe the White Sox can stay in the hunt the rest of the way, but making the post-season seems unrealistic at this time. If you're not in the post-season you might as well have a high pick.
    Eh, I'm honestly ok with them standing pat the more I think about it.

If they go on a run, awesome, if not...then what did they really have to "sell"? Shark? They'll get picks if someone signs him this offseason anyway. No one was giving up top prospects for him, so I think they made the right move here.

At least they didn't pull the classic Kenny Williams move and acquire Ryan Howard or some shit.
    Old 07-31-2015, 05:26 PM   #1088
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

Sox didnt really have much to sell...offers likely weren't better than the sandwich pick if they don't resign Samardzija
    Old 07-31-2015, 05:27 PM   #1089
    cwsrule88

My Tour Central Stats

I'm just glad they didn't give up any prospects for a two month rental. I don't really expect them to win 60% of their games from here on out but at least now they are watchable.
    Old 07-31-2015, 06:25 PM   #1090
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Here would be my issue if I was a Sox fan.

Sox haven't shown to be very good at drafting and developing talent. What is the confidence level they'll do anything with the sandwich pick? Sure they can hit on the top of the draft, but those guys aren't exactly a mystery. Sale, Rodon, and Fullmer were all known commodities.

Meanwhile with other teams improving the playoffs seem unlikely. Selling off allows you to get another high pick, and more money in both the draft and international signing period. For an organization that won't overspend and go into the tax in either, having more available money is very important.

If you believe your a good org when it comes to developing pitching. I'd build around Sale, Rodon, and Fullmer. Trade Quintana and Samardzija for bats. Sure that hurts you this year, but could make you much better in the near future. I have to follow this team closely because of work, and I just don't get what you're doing. I know they said it's a 3 year plan, but what are they even trying to do?

Old 07-31-2015, 07:05 PM   #1091
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

Trade Q? He's a 26 year old number 2 on a team friendly deal through 2019...that's borderline untradeable IMO... Samardzija obviously wasn't netting a return that Hahn thought was a better percentage than a sandwich pick, so hold on to him and increase your chances of re-signing him. No offense, but you are way fucking off base on this one Zep.
    Old 07-31-2015, 07:27 PM   #1092
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rustysurf83 View Post
    Trade Q? He's a 26 year old number 2 on a team friendly deal through 2019...that's borderline untradeable IMO... Samardzija obviously wasn't netting a return that Hahn thought was a better percentage than a sandwich pick, so hold on to him and increase your chances of re-signing him. No offense, but you are way fucking off base on this one Zep.
    On Q: I like him a lot, but at some point you need to trade pitching to get bats. I don't see the Sox trading Rodon and Fulmer because their upsides are so high. If you won't trade your pitching and won't overspend on draft/international. Where is your hitting coming from?

Sox really believe in their ability to develop pitching. He should net you a great bat. Not saying give him away by any means, but moves need to be made.

On Samardzija: We'll see what leaks out, but they weren't really looking to move him from everything I've been told. Hahn even said today they were trying to add. You follow this team more closely than I do. Perhaps they're a lot closer than I believe.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #1093
    cwsrule88

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Here would be my issue if I was a Sox fan.

Sox haven't shown to be very good at drafting and developing talent. What is the confidence level they'll do anything with the sandwich pick? Sure they can hit on the top of the draft, but those guys aren't exactly a mystery. Sale, Rodon, and Fullmer were all known commodities.

Meanwhile with other teams improving the playoffs seem unlikely. Selling off allows you to get another high pick, and more money in both the draft and international signing period. For an organization that won't overspend and go into the tax in either, having more available money is very important.

If you believe your a good org when it comes to developing pitching. I'd build around Sale, Rodon, and Fullmer. Trade Quintana and Samardzija for bats. Sure that hurts you this year, but could make you much better in the near future. I have to follow this team closely because of work, and I just don't get what you're doing. I know they said it's a 3 year plan, but what are they even trying to do?
    I have no idea what their "3 year plan" is Kenny Williams just said it in a interview a month ago or so. It was the first time anyone had ever heard of that.
    Old 08-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #1094
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

White Sox not trading Shark

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #1095
    cwsrule88

My Tour Central Stats

I'm actually not that upset about it. If he leaves after this year they will get a compensatory pick for him so they will still get something.
    Old 08-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #1096
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    White Sox not trading Shark
    Why would they? The market for starting pitchers was diluted by having so many available, if Shark leaves after this year the Sox get a pick back anyway, and right now they're 3.5 out of the 2nd WC spot, and 4.5 out of the 1st spot while playing great baseball.

It was the right move. They wouldn't have received a great return anyway.
    Old 08-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #1097
    CrashTheStone41
    Cordially Invited

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, once Hahn said they were potentially looking for a big bat, everyone knew Shark was staying. I think it's the right move. We have a chance to sneak in to the playoffs and with a rotation like ours we may be able to do something out of the blue.

CrashTheStone41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #1098
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

I understand Thompson isn't one of the top prospects in the game, but I don't understand why he isn't playing every day (out if lineup for tonight). Where do Sox fans stand on this issue? Or is it a non-issue to you guys?

Old 08-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #1099
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I understand Thompson isn't one of the top prospects in the game, but I don't understand why he isn't playing every day (out if lineup for tonight). Where do Sox fans stand on this issue? Or is it a non-issue to you guys?
    That Robin needs to be fired yesterday.
    Old 08-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #1100
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

Concur. Ventura should have been gone a month ago. Thompson's production, albeit a small sample size, has been ridiculous. Season is a loss, so you may as well play him on a daily basis and see what you've got.
    Old 08-29-2015, 07:09 AM   #1101
    cwsrule88

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't pretend to understand anything Robin Ventura does. To make it worse it sounds like he will be back next year. I like Rick Hahn but I hope Kenny goes somewhere else the White Sox need front office people and a manager that have no history or connection to the White Sox. They need people in charge with new ideas and have the same baseball philosophies from the top of the organization down. They are so against doing what the Cubs did so they give out big contracts and are still just as bad. It's so aggravating.
    Old 10-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #1102
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Robin Ventura is officially back for next year.

The real issues have been addressed: Mark Parent has been fired as bench coach, and Harold Baines will switch to a new role and no longer be the teams assistant hitting coach.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #1103
    CrashTheStone41
    Cordially Invited

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Adam Eaton (CF) L
    Melk Cabrera (LF) S
    Todd Frazier (3B) R
    Jose Abreu (1B) R
    Avisail Garcia (RF) R
    Brett Lawrie (2B) R
    Adam LaRoche (DH) L
    Alex Avila (C) L
    Tyler Saladino (SS) R

Knowing the Sox though it'll probably look more like this...

Eaton (CF) L
    Frazier (3B) R
    LaRoche (DH) L
    Abreu (1B) R
    Cabrera (LF) S
    Lawrie (2B) R
    Avila (C) L
    Garcia (RF) R
    Saladino (SS) R

CrashTheStone41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2016, 05:45 AM   #1104
    monkeyman420

My Tour Central Stats

This team is good. I'm not going to worry about what might happen 5 months from now, just going to enjoy this while it lasts. The pitching is ridiculously good right now. They've thrown 5 shutouts so far and have held opponents to 2 runs or less in 12 games. The defense is vastly improved from last year. Amazing what happens when you have actual ballplayers on your roster.
    Old 04-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #1105
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

Sox are killing it, but they really just need to accept their losses with Danks and cut bait on the guy. Sucks, he was never the same after his injury.
    Old 05-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #1106
    dmb9howell
    Totes

Shows Seen: 219

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Lawrie looks like a special person

Edit: great pick up tho

Edit 2: by special I meant retarded

Last edited by dmb9howell; 05-04-2016 at 06:27 PM.
    dmb9howell is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #1107
    dmb9howell
    Totes

Shows Seen: 219

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rustysurf83 View Post
    Sox are killing it, but they really just need to accept their losses with Danks and cut bait on the guy. Sucks, he was never the same after his injury.
    I'll be interested to see how his departure effects Sale
    dmb9howell is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #1108
    FromTheMorning

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
    Lawrie looks like a special person

Edit: great pick up tho

Edit 2: by special I meant retarded
    FromTheMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #1109
    monkeyman420

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
    I'll be interested to see how his departure effects Sale
    It won't. Sale has already said that he knows baseball is a business and is results oriented. Danks knew he was not helping the club, the team understands a change had to be made and it shouldn't be an issue. These guys believe in themselves and know they have something special going on right now. It's a great sign of maturity from this club that has been sorely missing the last several years.
    Old 05-10-2016, 05:50 AM   #1110
    monkeyman420

My Tour Central Stats

This team is awesome. They don't quit, they get timely hits and they play amazing defense. This has been a fun team to watch so far and I am excited to watch this team again. What a win last night. If this was last year they lose that game. This is a completely different team with a different attitude.

Tags
    mlb , white sox