Weightlifting - Page 123 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #3661
Rodey
Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

Well, I weighed myself for the first time in awhile today and was shocked to see that I was at 182.8. The last time I weighed myself was when I signed up for a new account on FatSecret, which was January 22nd apparently. When I did that, I was around 188. Surprised to see the 182.8 number considering this week was my first week back at it after being unmotivated, lazy, and food bingy for a week. Also, I've been eating better/more than I normally do and I've been hitting the weights harder. I guess I guess I was expecting to step on the scale this morning and weigh around 188 again. I mean, I'm noticing changes in my physique and I'm getting leaner, the number just sort of surprised me and made me think I'm not putting on any muscle.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #3662
    rustysurf83

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

New pair of InoV8 195s is on the way...I don't know if I'll ever buy a different pair of running shoes.
    rustysurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #3663
    jpevear

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M957d...ddFAAAAAAAAAAA
    Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #3664
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

I'm getting to the point where I don't even like to eat most unhealthy foods I used to like on my cheat days/meals. Eating clean all week and then indulging on fatty foods really unsettles my stomach. I think I'll be happy from now on to call my Cheerios and chocolate chip muffin for breakfast on Sunday mornings my cheat meal.
    Old 02-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #3665
    superfan

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I've decided I'm gonna quit weight lifting for a while and do strictly cardio for about 5 or 6 days a week. I want to cut my belly fat. I was trying to cut my fat and gain muscle mass all at the same time, but it wasn't really working. I was getting stronger but my fat wasn't really going away.

From the research I've done, you can't burn fat and gain muscle mass at the same time. When I cut down my belly fat, I will go back to weightlifting 5-6 days a week.
    superfan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #3666
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

what's you belly fat plan?
    just running?

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #3667
    Andrew4Bama
    Tub Rock

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I have to work out at night some days now because of my new job. I don't know if I can get used to this.
    Andrew4Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #3668
    water_into_wine

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    I've decided I'm gonna quit weight lifting for a while and do strictly cardio for about 5 or 6 days a week. I want to cut my belly fat. I was trying to cut my fat and gain muscle mass all at the same time, but it wasn't really working. I was getting stronger but my fat wasn't really going away.

From the research I've done, you can't burn fat and gain muscle mass at the same time. When I cut down my belly fat, I will go back to weightlifting 5-6 days a week.
    I disagree with this. For one, losing belly fat takes a long long time. Last place you probably lose weight. Probably a good idea to kick up cardio, but I do think you can build muscle. Also how long were you even doing your previous cardio plan for?
    water_into_wine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #3669
    achtungbaby

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Lucky me...Scivation ran a few Super Bowl contests for free supplements and I won 2 of them. On Facebook they were giving away tubs of Xtend to the 5 closest guesses for offensive yardage and on bodybuilding.com they were giving away 10 2-pound tubs of whey for the same question. The total was 745 and I had guessed 741. Woot
    achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #3670
    Mike_Karp
    We Shall See

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by water_into_wine View Post
    I disagree with this. For one, losing belly fat takes a long long time. Last place you probably lose weight. Probably a good idea to kick up cardio, but I do think you can build muscle. Also how long were you even doing your previous cardio plan for?
    IMO there is a difference in toning where there once was fat and actual muscle mass. Its true you can cut fat and tone, but you are not going to bulk up and cut at the same time. Like you are not going to reach 225 bench with a cutting program. You may be able to tone your body, but looking pretty and attaining big gains in strength are two different things.
    Old 02-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #3671
    superfan

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I started getting into a workout regime last January. I lost 15 pounds doing all cardio and cut a good amount of my fat off. In October I started heavy weight lifting and I really cut out a lot of cardio out of my workouts. I noticed my body to start getting toned, but the belly fat and love handles are still there. I was still doing cardio, but it was only about 2-3 times a week while weight lifting also.

I just think the best option would be to do a bunch of cardio and try to really watch my diet for a good month or two and see how much fat I can get rid of, then get back to heavy weight lifting 5-6 days a week.
    superfan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #3672
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

just got back into the gym a month ago.

i feel great.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #3673
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

Seeing as I'm lifting a lot more since I started lifting a month ago I simply disagree. Maybe it is just utilizing existing muscles, but my arms are noticeably bigger, I've lost at least 5 more lbs, my running distance has been extended, and my stomach has gotten tighter. So I see a good combo there. I'm not trying to become the Incredible Hulk so if that's referred to as "toning" so be it, but my strength program has been geared towards strength building like I did in high school football.
    Old 02-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #3674
    Mike_Karp
    We Shall See

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I am definitely cutting quite a bit as I've been trying to lose weight since last year. I've lost 25 lbs since mid-summer and I'd like to lose 10 more (I don't like having love handles). So I do cardio 6 days a week, but I also lift and do abs for a combined 45 minutes each day in order to build more muscle to help cutting the fat. My main goal is to bulk up my body for strength while cutting out some of the more obscene fat (through my cardio and diet, but supplemented through muscle gain).
    This I would consider to be cutting/toning. I also want to clarify there is nothing wrong with this kind of program, as a matter of fact it is great for weight loss and changing your body composition. I assume when you are lifting you are doing low weight high rep correct?

Quote:
    Seeing as I'm lifting a lot more since I started lifting a month ago I simply disagree. Maybe it is just utilizing existing muscles, but my arms are noticeably bigger, I've lost at least 5 more lbs, my running distance has been extended, and my stomach has gotten tighter. So I see a good combo there. I'm not trying to become the Incredible Hulk so if that's referred to as "toning" so be it, but my strength program has been geared towards strength building like I did in high school football.
    This is where I get confused because you said you want to attain 225 on your bench, even though you stated that you can only do about 200 right now. Based on your program right now of cutting fat and replacing it with muscle I don't believe you will be able to attain the 225. You are correct that you are changing your body composition from fat to muscle, however that does not equate to more strength. For example, when you cut down 25 lbs. (congrats btw) you are going to automatically lose strength on your bench, but you are going to look more lean/cut. You may be able to gain this strength back through a smart bulking program where you continue to replace muscle with fat, but this time adding the strength component.
    Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 AM   #3675
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Im still going strong on my interval running schedule, for all of you who are doing this, what are your times to speed ratio's? Right now im warming up with 5min@3.8pmh Then bumping it up to 10min at 6.5mph, back down to 5min at 5.1 mph, then back up to 10min at 6.5mph, then back down to 5min at 5.1 mph, then a 10 minute cooldown at 3.8mph. I know it's not a ton of time or speed, but im working my way up in time rather than speed as of now. It's a work in progress

So who else is doing interval running? what are yal's times and speeds?
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #3676
    ji/\/\ithing
    Missing Roi... Always

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foreverford05 View Post
    Im still going strong on my interval running schedule, for all of you who are doing this, what are your times to speed ratio's? Right now im warming up with 5min@3.8pmh Then bumping it up to 10min at 6.5mph, back down to 5min at 5.1 mph, then back up to 10min at 6.5mph, then back down to 5min at 5.1 mph, then a 10 minute cooldown at 3.8mph. I know it's not a ton of time or speed, but im working my way up in time rather than speed as of now. It's a work in progress

are you doing this on a treadmill or something? those seem like odd speeds...

when i used to do them, i did:

10 minute warm up jog (10 min/mile pace)

30 minutes of intervals: breaks are 45 seconds of 10 min.mile pace
    alternate the following on 30 second intervals:
    forward sprint, lateral run (left), backward jog, lateral run (right), vertical leaps
    three minute "period breaks" of speed walking to catch my breath after each set of intervals, should complete three sets in 30 minutes.

10 minute cool down jog (10 min/mile)

i used to run this on the beach, it was brutal but felt really good.
    ji/\/\ithing is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #3677
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike_Karp View Post
    This I would consider to be cutting/toning. I also want to clarify there is nothing wrong with this kind of program, as a matter of fact it is great for weight loss and changing your body composition. I assume when you are lifting you are doing low weight high rep correct?

This is where I get confused because you said you want to attain 225 on your bench, even though you stated that you can only do about 200 right now. Based on your program right now of cutting fat and replacing it with muscle I don't believe you will be able to attain the 225. You are correct that you are changing your body composition from fat to muscle, however that does not equate to more strength. For example, when you cut down 25 lbs. (congrats btw) you are going to automatically lose strength on your bench, but you are going to look more lean/cut. You may be able to gain this strength back through a smart bulking program where you continue to replace muscle with fat, but this time adding the strength component.
    Well, first there does seem to be a bias for "toning" in here as it seems like people think it is simply for aesthetics or looking "pretty", which is why I tend to avoid it. And actually, no, I am not doing low weight/high reps. What I do is the same program I did in high school football, which was to start at a high number of reps to find a base point and then gradually lower that every one or two weeks (Except Cleans and Deadlifts, which are already at lower reps for safety). I also focus on typical "power lifts" (Bench, cleans, squats, dead lifts). Right now I'm in the back half of my cycle, so I'm doing most of my lifts between 4-6 reps and really pushing it.

I guess my main point is that I don't believe that it is not possible for someone to gain strength and cut fat. In my mind, that is perfectly doable. Maybe not at the same pace of trying to "bulk" up, but it can still be effective in my opinion, which is why I don't really believe in switching programs from strictly strength building to strictly cardio and vice versa. In my mind it is best to include a mix depending on how long you are at the gym. I'm at the gym for at least 1 hour and 45 minutes for 6 days out of the week, where I get in at least 35-45 minutes of cardio, 20-25 of stretching and core workouts, and then the rest lifting. Even if lifting 5-6 days of the week, I'd cut down on some lifting on 3 of those days to fit some cardio in. I think that is necessary.

I understand that with cutting I lose some of the leverage that comes with the weight. When I said I used to bench 225 and was hoping to get there what I meant was that in high school I hit that point (or around it) and I weighed 170 (I weigh 180 now), so that I was slightly confused as to why I was so far off there. This confusion was also because all of my other power lifts, strength, and even proportions (other than the waist fat) are near where I remember they were when I was hitting 225. I think I've realized that because I do alternating dumbbell presses most of the time instead of the bench that more than anything I had lost some of the technique that lead me to bench more, so that I really just need to incorporate it more often into my program.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foreverford05 View Post

I haven't been doing interval running lately (mostly to increase my distance running as my main priority), but when I would do it, it would be for the last mile or two of a run. Personally I'm pretty sure for intervals you want to make your intervals shorter. Instead of 5 or 10 minutes, make it 1 or 2 and then increase the speed accordingly so that those intervals are tougher. The point is to push your body/capacity in those few minutes.

In terms of speed I've cut my mile time time about 2-3 minutes from when I first started running (so from 5.5 to 7 mph), but when I sprint I kick it up to 8.5 or 9 mph, though I am average height with somewhat short legs so that could be slower for others (my roomie runs that at a regular pace...the tall bastard).
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #3678
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

i'm usually at the gym for an hour.
    first 30 mins is cardio: usually run at about a 8:30 min pace (so run 3.0-4.0 miles)
    then do core and weight lifting for 30 mins (only trying to burn fat and tone). i don't even bench.
    then a few mins shooting hoops (for fun), or a few mins in sauna (just to sweat).

i still eat like shit. that's the problem.

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #3679
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    I started getting into a workout regime last January. I lost 15 pounds doing all cardio and cut a good amount of my fat off. In October I started heavy weight lifting and I really cut out a lot of cardio out of my workouts. I noticed my body to start getting toned, but the belly fat and love handles are still there. I was still doing cardio, but it was only about 2-3 times a week while weight lifting also.

I just think the best option would be to do a bunch of cardio and try to really watch my diet for a good month or two and see how much fat I can get rid of, then get back to heavy weight lifting 5-6 days a week.
    What was your starting point? It sounds like you had quite a bit of fat to lose since you lost 15 pounds and didn't really see any sign of abs/fat reduction around your waist.
    Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #3680
    Mike_Karp
    We Shall See

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well, first there does seem to be a bias for "toning" in here as it seems like people think it is simply for aesthetics or looking "pretty", which is why I tend to avoid it. And actually, no, I am not doing low weight/high reps. What I do is the same program I did in high school football, which was to start at a high number of reps to find a base point and then gradually lower that every one or two weeks (Except Cleans and Deadlifts, which are already at lower reps for safety). I also focus on typical "power lifts" (Bench, cleans, squats, dead lifts). Right now I'm in the back half of my cycle, so I'm doing most of my lifts between 4-6 reps and really pushing it.

I guess my main point is that I don't believe that it is not possible for someone to gain strength and cut fat. In my mind, that is perfectly doable. Maybe not at the same pace of trying to "bulk" up, but it can still be effective in my opinion, which is why I don't really believe in switching programs from strictly strength building to strictly cardio and vice versa. In my mind it is best to include a mix depending on how long you are at the gym. I'm at the gym for at least 1 hour and 45 minutes for 6 days out of the week, where I get in at least 35-45 minutes of cardio, 20-25 of stretching and core workouts, and then the rest lifting. Even if lifting 5-6 days of the week, I'd cut down on some lifting on 3 of those days to fit some cardio in. I think that is necessary.

I understand that with cutting I lose some of the leverage that comes with the weight. When I said I used to bench 225 and was hoping to get there what I meant was that in high school I hit that point (or around it) and I weighed 170 (I weigh 180 now), so that I was slightly confused as to why I was so far off there. This confusion was also because all of my other power lifts, strength, and even proportions (other than the waist fat) are near where I remember they were when I was hitting 225. I think I've realized that because I do alternating dumbbell presses most of the time instead of the bench that more than anything I had lost some of the technique that lead me to bench more, so that I really just need to incorporate it more often into my program.

I haven't been doing interval running lately (mostly to increase my distance running as my main priority), but when I would do it, it would be for the last mile or two of a run. Personally I'm pretty sure for intervals you want to make your intervals shorter. Instead of 5 or 10 minutes, make it 1 or 2 and then increase the speed accordingly so that those intervals are tougher. The point is to push your body/capacity in those few minutes.

In terms of speed I've cut my mile time time about 2-3 minutes from when I first started running (so from 5.5 to 7 mph), but when I sprint I kick it up to 8.5 or 9 mph, though I am average height with somewhat short legs so that could be slower for others (my roomie runs that at a regular pace...the tall bastard).
    Thanks for your clarification. Have you tried lifting first and then doing your cardio? Do you switch it up or do you always run first? Also, I think your insight that you need to bench more is correct. Bench is built upon your form. W/o it you will not see any gains, no matter what program you are on. Again congrats on the weight loss and the dedication to your program.
    Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #3681
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    i'm usually at the gym for an hour.
    first 30 mins is cardio: usually run at about a 8:30 min pace (so run 3.0-4.0 miles)
    then do core and weight lifting for 30 mins (only trying to burn fat and tone). i don't even bench.
    then a few mins shooting hoops (for fun), or a few mins in sauna (just to sweat).

i still eat like shit. that's the problem.
    Do your lifting before cardio.
    Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #3682
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't think strength gains are possible while cutting, at least not to a noticeable extent.. It just sort of defies general logic. When you cut, you're losing weight (along with some muscle mass). As your weight decreases, your ability to lift more decreases too. You can maintain your strength, but you're not going to improve it really.
    Old 02-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #3683
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike_Karp View Post
    Thanks for your clarification. Have you tried lifting first and then doing your cardio? Do you switch it up or do you always run first? Also, I think your insight that you need to bench more is correct. Bench is built upon your form. W/o it you will not see any gains, no matter what program you are on. Again congrats on the weight loss and the dedication to your program.
    I typically lift after my cardio. I do this because I typically like to be as fresh as possible for running because that is the hardest part/something I want to make sure I get done with. I've read a few things that argue that it really doesn't matter too much. Sometimes I'll lift half my workout, do cardio, and then finish, but that is when I workout with friends.

And thanks to the bold

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    I don't think strength gains are possible while cutting, at least not to a noticeable extent.. It just sort of defies general logic. When you cut, you're losing weight (along with some muscle mass). As your weight decreases, your ability to lift more decreases too. You can maintain your strength, but you're not going to improve it really.
    This type of logic is not one that I really believe. The way I look at it is as long as you stick to a strength program and you work those muscles then you are going to be able to build strength. Strength depends a lot more on how much muscle you have than how much weight you have. Sure, you might lose leverage, but when you gain more muscle by lifting you'll definitely be able to see strength gains at the same time as cutting fat (I definitely have). You don't have to lose muscle mass when cutting fat either.
    Old 02-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #3684
    Mike_Karp
    We Shall See

My Tour Central Stats

[QUOTE=water_into_wine;13325753]I typically lift after my cardio. I do this because I typically like to be as fresh as possible for running because that is the hardest part/something I want to make sure I get done with. I've read a few things that argue that it really doesn't matter too much. Sometimes I'll lift half my workout, do cardio, and then finish, but that is when I workout with friends.

And thanks to the bold
    QUOTE]

Based on my experience and studies I have read, you burn more fat/calories lifting first and then doing cardio. Also, lifting before running will enable you to put up the higher weight easier and gain more strength.
    Old 02-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #3685
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

If you're doing cardio and weights in the same session, always do weights first. If you do it opposite, you're basically killing the results of your lifting. Cardio depletes your glycogen levels.
    Old 02-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #3686
    Rebecca De Mornay
    HateAllThingsElijah

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you're doing cardio and weights in the same session, always do weights first. If you do it opposite, you're basically killing the results of your lifting. Cardio depletes your glycogen levels.
    This is interesting. I always run 2-3 miles and then start lifting. I hate the feeling of walking into the gym cold and lifting right away, I'd rather warm up with a run first, that's why I do it in that order.
    Wow guys, I wasn't at this show, but just listened to your Halloween. Damn, raw AF! I bet it was incredible live, Timmys outro was bad-ass!!!! Gotta listen to the rest of this show, setlist is on point.
    Rebecca De Mornay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #3687
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This type of logic is not one that I really believe. The way I look at it is as long as you stick to a strength program and you work those muscles then you are going to be able to build strength. Strength depends a lot more on how much muscle you have than how much weight you have. Sure, you might lose leverage, but when you gain more muscle by lifting you'll definitely be able to see strength gains at the same time as cutting fat (I definitely have). You don't have to lose muscle mass when cutting fat either.
    Muscle = weight

How many guys do you know that are like 150 pounds and putting up 250 on the bench consistently?
    Old 02-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #3688
    Mike_Karp
    We Shall See

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    Muscle = weight

How many guys do you know that are like 150 pounds and putting up 250 on the bench consistently?
    Cheaters.
    Old 02-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #3689
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schreiber89 View Post
    This is interesting. I always run 2-3 miles and then start lifting. I hate the feeling of walking into the gym cold and lifting right away, I'd rather warm up with a run first, that's why I do it in that order.
    Yeah that is interesting because a lot of the stuff I read was mixed. I always tend to lift second because at the campus gym by the time I'm done running, stretching/core, then the weights are all cleared, whereas when I get there it is pretty busy (and I get there really pretty late).

Quote:
    Muscle = weight

Wrong.

Weight=Muscle+Fat

Not impossible to cut one and build another.
    Old 02-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #3690
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah that is interesting because a lot of the stuff I read was mixed. I always tend to lift second because at the campus gym by the time I'm done running, stretching/core, then the weights are all cleared, whereas when I get there it is pretty busy (and I get there really pretty late).

Wrong.

Weight=Muscle+Fat

Not impossible to cut one and build another.
    There's a difference between building muscle and building strength. You're not going to increase strength while cutting. Heck, a lot of the time when you're cutting, you think you're putting on muscle because you're getting harder and your skin is getting tighter. In reality though, you're probably not putting on much.