**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread** - Page 488 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #14611
rschlad04

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
I mean you could definitely do okay with 2-4 hundred, but 5-6 would really open things up. On the lower end, I'd definitely recommend going the vintage route - checking out local craigslist or local record stores and hi-fi shops to see what used gear they have

The basic gear you'll need will be a turntable, a phono preamplifier (or a receiver with a built-in pre-amp), and depending on the speakers you go with a receiver (if you go with passive speakers, which are probably more common, you will need a receiver). Alternatively you could skip the speakers and receiver if you wanted a headphone set-up; but having a speaker setup with a receiver would also allow you to plug in headphones when you can't blast through the speakers

If you're open to a bit higher budget, below are some new tables and gear I'd recommend

Turntable (look around online as some places may have better prices than what I've linked):

- U-Turn Orbit Basic: $179

- Pro-Ject Elemental: $229

- U-Turn Orbit Plus: $289

- Audio Technica LP120: $295 (stay away from the lesser LP60)

- Pro-Ject Debut III: $299

- Pro-Ject Essential II: $299

Phono Preamplifier:

- Art Pro DJPRE II: $49

- Pro-Ject Phono Box: $75

- U-Turn Pluto: $89

Receiver:

- There's a wide range here and you could also go vintage for this part while going new components for the rest. Brands like Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Marantz, Kenwood, etc all have decent offerings. Prices can range from $100-$1,000's for new units but you should be able to find something between $100-$200. Perhaps Doby or someone could give more input here?

Speakers:

- Again, a lot of variety here; whether bookshelf speakers or tower speakers. For a vinyl setup you'll only really need a left and right channel (no surround or subwoofer are needed). But some recommendations on bookshelf are below to keep the prices lower

- Edifier R128OT: $100 (these are powered, so you could skip the receiver)

- Polk Audio T15: $100

- Klipsch R-14M Reference Series: $150

So, going with new equipment, on the low end of what I listed would be ~$328 (U-Turn Basic, ART DJPRE, Powered Edifiers) and obviously can go as high as you want with what I listed or things I didn't that are more expensive and using passive speakers + a receiver

Hope that helps as a starter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer41 View Post
Thanks for this, skimming through this thread I kind of got that type of idea. I don't have anything invested into the Crosbey especially if it's going to be doing damage now that I'm starting to get into putting money into more vinyl.

Realistically if I was to get a whole new system, I'd be looking around 250-400 to spend. Also, I love in NYC so space is limited too.

Any suggestions to a starting point for this price range?

I was in the same boat as you a few months back. I finally decided on the Project Debut Carbon ($400 on amazon) I have those hooked up to a pair of klipsch r-15PM. The speakers are self powered and have a built in preamp, so I don't need a receiver right now. They also have a blue tooth feature for streaming needs.
I'm no audiophile by any means, but I love the setup. The sound is much more full to me. My first 3 albums I played were Animals by Floyd, Crash, and Pearl Jams Yield, my mind was blown by the clarity and detail you could hear.

Point is I would definitely recommend spending a little extra money right off the bat, you'll be much happier with the sound, and you can always upgrade without having to buy a whole new table. If you put in the time you can find some solid deals, I paid just under $600.
Thought I'd just offer you some advice noob to noob.

"This is a love song, its more specifically about fucking" - DJM
rschlad04 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #14612
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rschlad04 View Post
    I was in the same boat as you a few months back. I finally decided on the Project Debut Carbon ($400 on amazon) I have those hooked up to a pair of klipsch r-15PM. The speakers are self powered and have a built in preamp, so I don't need a receiver right now. They also have a blue tooth feature for streaming needs.
    I'm no audiophile by any means, but I love the setup. The sound is much more full to me. My first 3 albums I played were Animals by Floyd, Crash, and Pearl Jams Yield, my mind was blown by the clarity and detail you could hear.

Point is I would definitely recommend spending a little extra money right off the bat, you'll be much happier with the sound, and you can always upgrade without having to buy a whole new table. If you put in the time you can find some solid deals, I paid just under $600.
    Thought I'd just offer you some advice noob to noob.
    I have the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon as well, definitely recommend it if it is within someone's budget. Do dislike the Ortofon 2M Red though; I'm still looking to upgrade
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2017, 07:11 AM   #14613
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Bucket head population overdrive has a special purple release limited to 500 copies. Go get one quick. Only 80 left
    mcwyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2017, 07:18 AM   #14614
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

My Tour Central Stats

Override. Dang auto corrext
    Old 02-24-2017, 08:04 AM   #14615
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    I have the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon as well, definitely recommend it if it is within someone's budget. Do dislike the Ortofon 2M Red though; I'm still looking to upgrade
    Out of curiosity what don't you like about the 2M Red? I think it's a stellar cartridge for its price range.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #14616
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Out of curiosity what don't you like about the 2M Red? I think it's a stellar cartridge for its price range.
    It's pretty harsh on the high end and has a tendency for sibilance/IGD. It's a fine beginner cart, but I've grown a bit tired of its sound

I don't think it's a horrible cart for its price range, but I also don't think it's the best in the $100 range.

I've looked at the Blue, but I'm not sure it is substantial enough of an upgrade to justify its price. I like the idea of the Bronze, but that's outside of my price range right now; so I'm probably looking outside of the Ortofon line

I've looked at the AT440MLb, Gold Ring G 2100, Clearaudio Concept V2, and Grado Gold1 Prestige. Just can't make up my mind
    Old 02-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #14617
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

New Goldring 1042 cart on eBay for US$325 shipped - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goldring-104...-/262860305844

Seller with high number of reviews and 100%, ships from Greece. This is closer to the original MSRP from 1998, today it's usually between $550 - $650.

I have the mid-range 1012GX Goldring and I love the high end on this cartridge, short of upgrading my TT I will likely move to the D42 stylus as this line of carts all have the same bodies and the stylus is interchangeable, the D42 is the stylus from the 1042 cartridge.

I just upgraded my centre channel (literally today, shipping hopefully by Monday) which I've been wanting to do for a few years now, next up will be either adding a second sub or upgrading my stylus. There's lots of tweaks you can do to get some better sound from your TT without upgrading - better belt, replace the subplatter and belt pulley, replace the platter, I just don't make enough money to look to a complete TT upgrade anytime in the next 10 years. Still I think you can certainly out-upgrade your turntable and if I didn't already have a $900 base turntable to start with, I would be looking to move into at least this price range first and then start upgrades. You wouldn't buy $2,000 speaker cables for $200 bookshelves.

Have to start budgeting for a 4K 65"+ OLED and UHD Blu-ray player within the next 2-3 years.

Last edited by dobyblue; 02-24-2017 at 08:41 AM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #14618
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    New Goldring 1042 cart on eBay for US$325 shipped - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goldring-104...-/262860305844

Seller with high number of reviews and 100%, ships from Greece. This is closer to the original MSRP from 1998, today it's usually between $550 - $650.

I have the mid-range 1012GX Goldring and I love the high end on this cartridge, short of upgrading my TT I will likely move to the D42 stylus as this line of carts all have the same bodies and the stylus is interchangeable, the D42 is the stylus from the 1042 cartridge.

I just upgraded my centre channel (literally today, shipping hopefully by Monday) which I've been wanting to do for a few years now, next up will be either adding a second sub or upgrading my stylus. There's lots of tweaks you can do to get some better sound from your TT without upgrading - better belt, replace the subplatter and belt pulley, replace the platter, I just don't make enough money to look to a complete TT upgrade anytime in the next 10 years. Still I think you can certainly out-upgrade your turntable and if I didn't already have a $900 base turntable to start with, I would be looking to move into at least this price range first and then start upgrades. You wouldn't buy $2,000 speaker cables for $200 bookshelves.

Have to start budgeting for a 4K 65"+ OLED and UHD Blu-ray player within the next 2-3 years.
    Thanks for the recommendation. A few questions if you don't mind me asking

First, how would this cart pair with my set-up:

Turntable - Pro-ject Debut Carbon
    Phono Preamp - Parasound P/PH-100
    Receiver - Marantz sr7000
    Speakers - Klipsch KG-4

Second, what in the above would you tab as the next area for an upgrade after the I take care of the cart; or what would be your priority to upgrade and what might you recommend?
    Old 02-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #14619
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

If you're still in the out of the box Carbon then for sure a cart upgrade would be the next. All of Parasound's stuff is very nice, so I'd imagine you'd be good to keep that one until you get into the @ $2000 turntable arena.

It's a tough game to play and I expect you could ask 5 well-versed audio folk the question and get five different answers. I tend to keep my eye open on things on my long-term upgrade plan and if a bargain pops up, seize it. All my Acoustic Energy floorstanding towers that I've moved to (identical fronts and rears, AELite 3s) in the past 18 months have been used, original MSRP was $2600/pair and I got both for $500/pair. Schwing.

That Goldring cart is a really good deal at $325, not sure I'd go for it at full list price as it's more than the list price of the table. I think you have to decide how committed you are to a table upgrade and if you want one, how far off is it. If it's likely on the 10 year plan, putting a couple hundred bucks here and there into the table you have is a good idea, scratches that itch!

Phono upgrades are one thing I'd look used for too, and I'm guessing you got that Parasound used? I think the Zphono I have is the current equivalent of the P/PH? I got mine for US$125 demo model. When I score an upgrade, if I can get a @ $500 phono for $300 in the used market, hell yeah that's the way to go. With carts I like buying new, don't have a particular reason, it's just my personal preference. I'd need to know the seller pretty well to consider buying a used cart.

So yeah, I think cart is next. If you're happy with the volume you're getting out of that Marantz then you don't need an upgrade there, and when you do you could also just consider using the pre-outs and getting a dedicated 2-channel power amp. I'd look used for that too no problem.
    Old 02-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #14620
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Haven't gotten a UHD Blu-ray player yet, but my wife surprised me with a 65" Samsung 8000 series SUHD 4K set for Christmas this year and it's uhhhh-mazing. There's not a ton of 4K content yet, and what I do have is streaming (Netflix, Prime, etc...) but man even the difference in just watching a standard Blu-Ray compared to my old 1080 set is

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #14621
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Haven't gotten a UHD Blu-ray player yet, but my wife surprised me with a 65" Samsung 8000 series SUHD 4K set for Christmas this year and it's uhhhh-mazing. There's not a ton of 4K content yet, and what I do have is streaming (Netflix, Prime, etc...) but man even the difference in just watching a standard Blu-Ray compared to my old 1080 set is
    There's some cool free samples you can download and run off a thumb drive. Yeah the 8000 is a very nice set! I think it's the same as the one my buddy got, we watched a few of these clips and it's pretty amazing to imagine what the future of HD broadcast holds.

This football one is very cool, high school or college guys playing in Dallas Cowboys stadium but the detail and motion and lack of pixelation and break-up, very nice - https://www.harmonicinc.com/free-4k-demo-footage/

You have to register for free then you can download, the "American Football" and the "Air Acrobatics" look stunning.

Some 4K stuff from NASA - https://archive.org/details/NASA-Ultra-High-Definition
    Old 02-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #14622
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you're still in the out of the box Carbon then for sure a cart upgrade would be the next. All of Parasound's stuff is very nice, so I'd imagine you'd be good to keep that one until you get into the @ $2000 turntable arena.

It's a tough game to play and I expect you could ask 5 well-versed audio folk the question and get five different answers. I tend to keep my eye open on things on my long-term upgrade plan and if a bargain pops up, seize it. All my Acoustic Energy floorstanding towers that I've moved to (identical fronts and rears, AELite 3s) in the past 18 months have been used, original MSRP was $2600/pair and I got both for $500/pair. Schwing.

That Goldring cart is a really good deal at $325, not sure I'd go for it at full list price as it's more than the list price of the table. I think you have to decide how committed you are to a table upgrade and if you want one, how far off is it. If it's likely on the 10 year plan, putting a couple hundred bucks here and there into the table you have is a good idea, scratches that itch!

Phono upgrades are one thing I'd look used for too, and I'm guessing you got that Parasound used? I think the Zphono I have is the current equivalent of the P/PH? I got mine for US$125 demo model. When I score an upgrade, if I can get a @ $500 phono for $300 in the used market, hell yeah that's the way to go. With carts I like buying new, don't have a particular reason, it's just my personal preference. I'd need to know the seller pretty well to consider buying a used cart.

So yeah, I think cart is next. If you're happy with the volume you're getting out of that Marantz then you don't need an upgrade there, and when you do you could also just consider using the pre-outs and getting a dedicated 2-channel power amp. I'd look used for that too no problem.
    Really appreciate this all!

I'm definitely considering that cart now - thanks for putting it on my radar. I'm probably sticking with the Parasound for now. It was a hand-me-down from my old man. He bought it new and I don't think he ever took it out of the box. I'm more than happy with the Marantz at the moment, though at some point I'll go with separates but for now I think I'm okay, so I guess I'd be leaning towards speaker upgrades (which I've been considering for years) or a full table upgrade (leaning more towards upgrading cart/platter/etc rather than a fully new unit).

Thanks again for the input!
    Old 02-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #14623
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

My Tour Central Stats

Filling out my phish stuff just picked up:
    Big boat
    Joy
    white tape
    Fuego
    Traveler
    Boardwalk style
    Old 02-26-2017, 07:53 AM   #14624
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcwyffe View Post
    Big boat
    Joy
    white tape
    Fuego
    Traveler
    Boardwalk style
    How does Big Boat sound? Is it worth a vinyl pickup?

Also - where'd you find Joy? Thought that was pretty "rare" and expensive these days.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #14625
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Big boat
    Joy
    white tape
    Fuego
    Traveler
    Boardwalk style
    Nice! I'm close to complete on my Phish collection (though I haven't really expanded past the full bad, minus the Trey 45rpm Paper Wheels splatter set)

http://imgur.com/a/8KsvM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    How does Big Boat sound? Is it worth a vinyl pickup?

Also - where'd you find Joy? Thought that was pretty "rare" and expensive these days.
    Big Boat is mastered/pressed well (Bellman cut the lacquer at Grundman, and Pallas pressed it) but the music itself is "meh" IMO.

Joy seems to have gotten a small repress at the beginning of the year. Amazon has it in stock for $23

https://www.amazon.com/Joy-Vinyl-Phi...8125256&sr=8-1
    Old 02-26-2017, 08:06 AM   #14626
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

My Tour Central Stats

Yea picked up joy on eBay for 23 bucks
    Old 02-26-2017, 05:01 PM   #14627
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Do these people know something about Big Whiskey that we don't?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAVE-MATTHEW...gAAOSwjDZYiShf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Whiskey-...QAAOSwWxNYsZxr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dave-Matthew...MAAOSwtfhYszjM

this stuff just cracks me up
    Old 02-28-2017, 06:30 AM   #14628
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

First day of March tomorrow, usually the full list is announced before the Ides no? So we should start seeing some title announcements for RSD very soon. I'm hoping there is a DMB title on there...or a D&T perhaps?
    Old 02-28-2017, 06:39 AM   #14629
    excitingjae

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Maybe a Billy Breathes picture disc with Gordon's face.
    Old 02-28-2017, 07:04 AM   #14630
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    First day of March tomorrow, usually the full list is announced before the Ides no? So we should start seeing some title announcements for RSD very soon. I'm hoping there is a DMB title on there...or a D&T perhaps?
    Don't tease us!

Luther College would be wonderful, as would Red Rock '95
    Old 02-28-2017, 07:50 AM   #14631
    trpnbili40

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Doby is the best at the tease....remember the spinning copy of the Crash test pressing?
    trpnbili40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #14632
    blumathu

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Whatever it is, I hope they press plenty of them and make a black vinyl version available online shortly afterwards. I'm done getting in line at 5 am.
    blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #14633
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
    Whatever it is, I hope they press plenty of them and make a black vinyl version available online shortly afterwards. I'm done getting in line at 5 am.
    I'm about to this point. I got out there at 1 AM last year (mostly because it's fun to hang out with everyone, meet new people and talk music for 8 hours while sleep deprived). But I felt off for a day or two after that because of the lack of sleep and sitting in the cold that long. The older I get the more convenience dominates my decision making.

But I do hope for some cool RSD releases this year. THey've been pretty lackluster the last year or two.
    Old 02-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #14634
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

My Tour Central Stats

The grateful reads "one from the vault" must have been rereleased. Just picked it up for 55 bucks
    Old 02-28-2017, 03:18 PM   #14635
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

My Tour Central Stats

I'd love to get two and three from the vault too!
    Old 02-28-2017, 05:25 PM   #14636
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

So I took a bit of a chance last week that paid off. There was a copy of Crash, sealed, on Ebay for $25 with free shipping. I noticed it didn't have a hype sticker and thought maybe there was a chance it could be the splatter (splatter copies from Amazon had no hype sticker while all black 180g copies I've seen have had hype stickers).

It arrive today and it was, in fact, a splatter copy. What's great is that sides C and D do not have the non-fill distortion my other copy suffers from.

Just a heads up to keep an eye out for any Crash's that are sealed without a sticker being sold for MSRP
    Old 03-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #14637
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

My Tour Central Stats

The gin blossoms new miserable experience has a limited pressing available now. I ordered for sure.
    Old 03-01-2017, 07:30 AM   #14638
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The gin blossoms new miserable experience has a limited pressing available now. I ordered for sure.
    where? source info?
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2017, 07:32 AM   #14639
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

My Tour Central Stats

https://us.udiscovermusic.com/produc...nt=35768588550
    Old 03-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #14640
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Incredible mail haul yesterday. All these for $62.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg IMG_2225.jpg (77.9 KB, 27 views)