Indy Weekend Review - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-20-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
sean52692

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Indy Weekend Review

Just got home from the N2 show!!! 3 hour drive by myself was a blast because I'm so amped up. Heres a review of the weekend:

N1:

My seat was section A, row F (after I moved up from the lawn)

Well, right as showtime appropached, so did a massive thunder and wind storm. I thought it would start fine, but then the announcment was made to delay the show. I was pretty worried it would be canceled. I ended up moving down into the pavillion in row F, so I had a fantastic vantage point of the show. I was close to BT and could see every member perfectly

JTR: Orginally the Veilette guitar was out, but when I saw the 12 string, I knew that JTR would be the fitting opening. This version ROCKED. This song is one of their best, and they played it so groovy. Fantastic opener, one of the best openers they have, no doubt. I was left near speechless. The place was rockin. Boyd doesnt play the end like he used to, and Dave doesnt either, but still the horns, bass and drums at the end were magnificent.

Squirm: Standard version, very good. I was glad this was moved the the second song. It really built on JTR, and kept the show going. Much better not as an opener.

Seven: DMB really nails this now. Dave doesnt really struggle with the singing and Tim nails a good solo.

Don't Drink the Water: The show kept on speeding along. I liked where this DDTW was placed. Not an opener, set closer or encore.

Lying in the Hands of God: I was looking forward to hearing this one, and it was okay. Jeff's solo was pretty good, nothing spectacular.

Shake Me Like a Monkey: At this point I'm wondering if the rest of the band wants to even work Boyd into the show. He was just standing there again, I swear I saw him look at his blackberry which he had pinned to his belt. And I am sick of SMLAM.

Break for It: There we go! Gorgeous song, I like the flute a lot. I think they really need to work on the ending and work Tinsley in

Tripping Billies: BOYD! Classic tune, pretty good version. Always enjoyable to see BT play that well

Corn Bread: Yuck. This song has clearly expired. Just really not a good peformence or even a good guesting job by Barnes

Road: Actually not so bad. Barnes does have some talent and this isnt a bad song, especially compared to Corn Bread

Gravedigger: Damn it Carter, why do you make this sound like either Say Goodbye or YNK? Well, this is a great live song. Dave sings it perfectly

#41: The show gets back on track. Nice winding solo by Boyd, and then the horns take it over. Jeff made this really annoying noise, and took an obnovious amount of time to get his solo started. His solo was just average, but Tim saved it at the end.

Crash Into Me: Great live song. Always a beautiful version, and looking at the huge crowd during the outro was cool.

You Might Die Trying: I wasnt happy to hear this, the horns sounded stale, but Tim owned a solo which made up for it. Really cool solo actually. At this point I was kind of peeved at the setlist. I thought we would get something more special

Two Step »: Average intro. I thought this would close the set. But.....

Ants Marching: Boy was I happy to hear this. Boyd Tinsley played that fiddle so long and so well. I was thinking about Roi during the horn outro, and the whole show actually. I was really missing his sound on stage this show

-----------------------------------

The Needle and the Damage Done: Top of the line cover. Dave sings with the perfect tone needed for a Neil Young cover. I was pumped to hear this

So Damn Lucky: Kind of a suprise. Great live song, and I forgot they were doing the Thank U outro. Dave even added some on the spot Digging a Ditch lyrics which I thought was awesome. But, the Thank U outro was not a great way to end the show.

Overall, I was annoyed and honestly extremly disapointed in this first setlist. I was happy they left it open for a great N2. Their peformences were honestly not even that good in some songs this show.

Just got home from the N2 show about 1 hour ago. 3 hour drive by myself was a blast because I'm so amped up. Heres a review of the weekend:

N2:

I saw the 12 stringer out, so I was looking forward to BEF to open. I just couldnt wait. My seat was Section C row V, which wasnt bad, I just couldnt see Rashawn or Coffin. Much better weather than the night before. My expectations were through the roof.

Big Eyed Fish »: Another AMAZING opener. Boyd plucked it and got into it during the end. Dave sings this one real well. They play it great, and then cleanly segue it into....

Bartender: Very good. Jeff brought his game on the pennywhistle outro after a below average N1 for him. Classic tune

Stay or Leave: Saw that raised B guitar, and thought that LITHOG was coming again. Thankfully, SOL popped up. Really good live tune, the crowd loves it, and they played it really well. real good version. At this point I knew it was going to be a GREAT show.

Sweet Up and Down: Saw the 12 string come out again, and then my prayers were answered. LOVE THIS TUNE. The lyrics werent really set, and Dave was late on the scat once, but it was still awesome, and REFRESHING to hear live

Funny the Way It Is: Time to pee!
Stand Up (For It) [partial] »: Oh god, no. DMB what are you doing, make this right! Thats what I was thinking. At least it sounds better with Tim playing. Then a seamless transition into....

Corn Bread [tease] »: please dont play Corn Bread!!! Then luckily.....

Recently [partial]: AHHHHHHH!!! The band submerged from the bottom of the ocean, and gasped for some fresh air at the top by playing Recently. This was so cool. Great singalong. Then the jams were pretty much SPOT ON! I was pysched at this point.

Sister: The band needed a break after that Recently jam. Dave sounded like he blew a string or terribly hit the wrong note when the song started. The guy next to me kept telling me this was called Sister, then he aksed other people around us what song it was and then told me it was Sister again a few more times. Then I told him I didnt like this song, so he told me it was called Sister again. WTF

Dancing Nancies: Aaahhhhh. Lots of screeches from Boyd, but he was just so pumped. the rest of his solo was good though, no doubt
Why I Am: getting sick of this, but love the Roi tribute

Spaceman: At this point, a moron behind me is yelling, "Spaceman with Danny Barnes and then Warehouse with Danny Barnes". The little bitch must have gotten a setlist. So that was annoying. And during this song, the same Sister guy next to me brought down two of his fat friends and squeezed them in. Very annoying

Warehouse: YESSSSSS!!!!! Glorious, epic, and chilling intro. Really was spot on. Just fantastic. Barnes didnt add that much, but it was AWESOME. Speechless.......also throughout the evening, a ton of people were sitting down in my section

Grey Street: Everyone was rocking. Place blew up/ Somone got punched in the face, and nose was bleeding behind me. They found the guy and took him out of there

You & Me: This was when I noticed the lack of smoking in the area I was in. So I lit up and was told to put it out a minute later. Really annoying shit

Jimi Thing: I lit up again and smoked through this one along with the band. Horn solos are just great in this, and Dave has a lot of fun with the scat

Stay (Wasting Time): Very good version! horns made it, they play it well
Time Bomb »: They went crazy, dave was really yelling
All Along the Watchtower: I was annoyed at first, but this was a cool ending to the show.

Overall, the second night was a great improvement. I was pumped. Recently, big Eyed fish, warehouse, etc...all were really really great versions, and they were fun as shit to see live.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
    FuzzyYellowDMB
    Admissions Counselor

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Indy Weekend Review

Good review man. I too was disappointed by Carter's intro to Digger...thought for sure it was YNK or Say Goodbye.
    Old 06-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
    sean52692

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuzzyYellowDMB View Post
    Good review man. I too was disappointed by Carter's intro to Digger...thought for sure it was YNK or Say Goodbye.
    Yeah, especially because they gave us both of those tunes last year
    Old 06-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
    aneiling

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Good review! I also thought Say Goodbye was coming with Carter's intro...glad I'm not the only one! Gravedigger was good stuff though - the only thing my 6 yr. old daughter wanted to hear from me is that they played the "ring around the rosey" song!
    aneiling is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
    ramiro24
    Hurricane Rozz

Shows Seen: 74

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
    Just got home from the N2 show!!! 3 hour drive by myself was a blast because I'm so amped up. Heres a review of the weekend:

N1:

My seat was section A, row F (after I moved up from the lawn)

Well, right as showtime appropached, so did a massive thunder and wind storm. I thought it would start fine, but then the announcment was made to delay the show. I was pretty worried it would be canceled. I ended up moving down into the pavillion in row F, so I had a fantastic vantage point of the show. I was close to BT and could see every member perfectly

JTR: Orginally the Veilette guitar was out, but when I saw the 12 string, I knew that JTR would be the fitting opening. This version ROCKED. This song is one of their best, and they played it so groovy. Fantastic opener, one of the best openers they have, no doubt. I was left near speechless. The place was rockin. Boyd doesnt play the end like he used to, and Dave doesnt either, but still the horns, bass and drums at the end were magnificent.

Squirm: Standard version, very good. I was glad this was moved the the second song. It really built on JTR, and kept the show going. Much better not as an opener.

Seven: DMB really nails this now. Dave doesnt really struggle with the singing and Tim nails a good solo.

Don't Drink the Water: The show kept on speeding along. I liked where this DDTW was placed. Not an opener, set closer or encore.

Lying in the Hands of God: I was looking forward to hearing this one, and it was okay. Jeff's solo was pretty good, nothing spectacular.

Shake Me Like a Monkey: At this point I'm wondering if the rest of the band wants to even work Boyd into the show. He was just standing there again, I swear I saw him look at his blackberry which he had pinned to his belt. And I am sick of SMLAM.

Break for It: There we go! Gorgeous song, I like the flute a lot. I think they really need to work on the ending and work Tinsley in

Tripping Billies: BOYD! Classic tune, pretty good version. Always enjoyable to see BT play that well

Corn Bread: Yuck. This song has clearly expired. Just really not a good peformence or even a good guesting job by Barnes

Road: Actually not so bad. Barnes does have some talent and this isnt a bad song, especially compared to Corn Bread

Gravedigger: Damn it Carter, why do you make this sound like either Say Goodbye or YNK? Well, this is a great live song. Dave sings it perfectly

#41: The show gets back on track. Nice winding solo by Boyd, and then the horns take it over. Jeff made this really annoying noise, and took an obnovious amount of time to get his solo started. His solo was just average, but Tim saved it at the end.

Crash Into Me: Great live song. Always a beautiful version, and looking at the huge crowd during the outro was cool.

You Might Die Trying: I wasnt happy to hear this, the horns sounded stale, but Tim owned a solo which made up for it. Really cool solo actually. At this point I was kind of peeved at the setlist. I thought we would get something more special

Two Step »: Average intro. I thought this would close the set. But.....

Ants Marching: Boy was I happy to hear this. Boyd Tinsley played that fiddle so long and so well. I was thinking about Roi during the horn outro, and the whole show actually. I was really missing his sound on stage this show

The Needle and the Damage Done: Top of the line cover. Dave sings with the perfect tone needed for a Neil Young cover. I was pumped to hear this

So Damn Lucky: Kind of a suprise. Great live song, and I forgot they were doing the Thank U outro. Dave even added some on the spot Digging a Ditch lyrics which I thought was awesome. But, the Thank U outro was not a great way to end the show.

Overall, I was annoyed and honestly extremly disapointed in this first setlist. I was happy they left it open for a great N2. Their peformences were honestly not even that good in some songs this show.

Just got home from the N2 show about 1 hour ago. 3 hour drive by myself was a blast because I'm so amped up. Heres a review of the weekend:

N2:

I saw the 12 stringer out, so I was looking forward to BEF to open. I just couldnt wait. My seat was Section C row V, which wasnt bad, I just couldnt see Rashawn or Coffin. Much better weather than the night before. My expectations were through the roof.

Big Eyed Fish »: Another AMAZING opener. Boyd plucked it and got into it during the end. Dave sings this one real well. They play it great, and then cleanly segue it into....

Bartender: Very good. Jeff brought his game on the pennywhistle outro after a below average N1 for him. Classic tune

Stay or Leave: Saw that raised B guitar, and thought that LITHOG was coming again. Thankfully, SOL popped up. Really good live tune, the crowd loves it, and they played it really well. real good version. At this point I knew it was going to be a GREAT show.

Sweet Up and Down: Saw the 12 string come out again, and then my prayers were answered. LOVE THIS TUNE. The lyrics werent really set, and Dave was late on the scat once, but it was still awesome, and REFRESHING to hear live

Funny the Way It Is: Time to pee!
    Stand Up (For It) [partial] »: Oh god, no. DMB what are you doing, make this right! Thats what I was thinking. At least it sounds better with Tim playing. Then a seamless transition into....

Corn Bread [tease] »: please dont play Corn Bread!!! Then luckily.....

Recently [partial]: AHHHHHHH!!! The band submerged from the bottom of the ocean, and gasped for some fresh air at the top by playing Recently. This was so cool. Great singalong. Then the jams were pretty much SPOT ON! I was pysched at this point.

Sister: The band needed a break after that Recently jam. Dave sounded like he blew a string or terribly hit the wrong note when the song started. The guy next to me kept telling me this was called Sister, then he aksed other people around us what song it was and then told me it was Sister again a few more times. Then I told him I didnt like this song, so he told me it was called Sister again. WTF

Dancing Nancies: Aaahhhhh. Lots of screeches from Boyd, but he was just so pumped. the rest of his solo was good though, no doubt
    Why I Am: getting sick of this, but love the Roi tribute

Spaceman: At this point, a moron behind me is yelling, "Spaceman with Danny Barnes and then Warehouse with Danny Barnes". The little bitch must have gotten a setlist. So that was annoying. And during this song, the same Sister guy next to me brought down two of his fat friends and squeezed them in. Very annoying

Warehouse: YESSSSSS!!!!! Glorious, epic, and chilling intro. Really was spot on. Just fantastic. Barnes didnt add that much, but it was AWESOME. Speechless.......also throughout the evening, a ton of people were sitting down in my section

Grey Street: Everyone was rocking. Place blew up/ Somone got punched in the face, and nose was bleeding behind me. They found the guy and took him out of there

You & Me: This was when I noticed the lack of smoking in the area I was in. So I lit up and was told to put it out a minute later. Really annoying shit

Jimi Thing: I lit up again and smoked through this one along with the band. Horn solos are just great in this, and Dave has a lot of fun with the scat

Stay (Wasting Time): Very good version! horns made it, they play it well
    Time Bomb »: They went crazy, dave was really yelling
    All Along the Watchtower: I was annoyed at first, but this was a cool ending to the show.

Overall, the second night was a great improvement. I was pumped. Recently, big Eyed fish, warehouse, etc...all were really really great versions, and they were fun as shit to see live.
    pulling a me?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
    Rozz, you are always partying, even when you're not
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    We all go a little Rozz sometimes
    ramiro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
    sean52692

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ramiro24 View Post
    pulling a me?
    awesome bump nah, just cigarettes.
    Old 04-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Incredible bump. And when Sean said "smoke along with the band", that definitely seems like a Mary Jane reference

So stoked for DC 2012. Will anyone else be in the Pit with me N1?
    camptravisr is offline   Reply With Quote