Easter 2012. Resurrection of The DMB via Steve Lillywhite Twitter - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > Epic Threads

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #61
bartender_man

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Easter 2012. Resurrection of The DMB via Steve Lillywhite Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittensXLI View Post
FACT: This album will be the best since 1998.

Watch me be right.
Maybe since the Lillywhite sessions...

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-08-2012, 02:04 AM   #62
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kittensXLI View Post
    FACT: This album will be the best since 1998.

Watch me be right.
    Aronofsky is that you? Haha
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #63
    JimC

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Especially after reading this thread, I may give this record a chance. Lawls.
    JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #64
    lafleurjp
    VisityourMommy

My Tour Central Stats

i don't understand how the OP's analogy regarding twitter responses v. interview questions is lost on so many of you. in the prior, the man has absolutely no reason to post a response to a question some dip-shit following him on twitter asks... if he he elects to, it is completely gratuitous. Conversely, in an interview of any sort, there is a very obvious need for some sort of response to a question of the same nature. the argument "pshhhhhhhhh he's part of the process of course he's going to give it an awesome review" is considerably undermined when you consider the fact that he very obviously does not have to respond to twitter questions ever. In fact, he ignores dozens and dozens of questions a day. He has no obligation to answer, and is not thought any less of for dodging a question.

if SL is out there gratuitously offering amplified reviews of dmbs latest (incomplete i might add) work, it would seem to fly in the face of everything he's said in the past RE recording with DMB, his personal opinion on tLWS, and the closed-lip nature of the current session . In short, he would be fool.

I certainly don't mean to imply that b/c SL says the album is good, it's going to unequivocally be one thing or another, what i mean to say is it' unlikely, IMHO, that SL is running around stoking the flames of anticipation with shallow rhetoric regarding the quality of the forthcoming album. that. would. just. be. stupid.
    lafleurjp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #65
    vklugf

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lafleurjp View Post
    i don't understand how the OP's analogy regarding twitter responses v. interview questions is lost on so many of you. in the prior, the man has absolutely no reason to post a response to a question some dip-shit following him on twitter asks... if he he elects to, it is completely gratuitous. Conversely, in an interview of any sort, there is a very obvious need for some sort of response to a question of the same nature. the argument "pshhhhhhhhh he's part of the process of course he's going to give it an awesome review" is considerably undermined when you consider the fact that he very obviously does not have to respond to twitter questions ever. In fact, he ignores dozens and dozens of questions a day. He has no obligation to answer, and is not thought any less of for dodging a question.

if SL is out there gratuitously offering amplified reviews of dmbs latest (incomplete i might add) work, it would seem to fly in the face of everything he's said in the past RE recording with DMB, his personal opinion on tLWS, and the closed-lip nature of the current session . In short, he would be fool.

I certainly don't mean to imply that b/c SL says the album is good, it's going to unequivocally be one thing or another, what i mean to say is it' unlikely, IMHO, that SL is running around stoking the flames of anticipation with shallow rhetoric regarding the quality of the forthcoming album. that. would. just. be. stupid.
    You said it all. Thanks god there's still intelligence on DMbc.
    Old 04-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #66
    thehoss
    AP#46

Shows Seen: 126

DMB Hub Stubs: 34

My Tour Central Stats

man. this got ugly. a man can have an opinion. like we read newspapers for information, we do with it what we want. treat this the same.
    Old 04-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #67
    EmJay

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I see what you are saying...but it is hard to be totally objective when it is your album. Look, everyone thinks each one of their kids is "the cutest" and it is rare for a musician, producer, actor, director, etc. to believe that their latest work is garbage.

Not saying that this album won't be good, just that i it hard to be fired up by a band member or a producer believing it is good.
    EmJay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #68
    dmb2632
    Nick

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmJay View Post
    I see what you are saying...but it is hard to be totally objective when it is your album. Look, everyone thinks each one of their kids is "the cutest" and it is rare for a musician, producer, actor, director, etc. to believe that their latest work is garbage.

Not saying that this album won't be good, just that i it hard to be fired up by a band member or a producer believing it is good.
    Exactly -- I mean Carter even once said that Old Dirt Hill was his favorite song, simply because it was the song they were currently working on.
    "Get off bela, we wanna play one of our shit songs"
    dmb2632 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #69
    lafleurjp
    VisityourMommy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmJay View Post

yeah. fair enough. as a basic tenet, and in general, it's hard to be completely objective about something you've invested yourself into... especially something as subjective as art. the art is a projection of yourself - and no one wants to be critical of themselves. i get it.

that said, my point (and i presume what the OP is getting at) is that SL going out of his way to talk the album up is a good sign. For all the reasons we all know regarding the history of SL with this band - i just don't see him going out of his way to incite such anticipation with the base - the very demographic most intrigued by lillywhite's return to the band in the first place.

if things were a train wreck in the studio, Lillywhite would leave. If things were just "ok" in the studio, he wouldn't say anything at all. if anyone involved in this process is situated to be objective and understand what this band is capable of (see SL's critique of ED including the words 'diarrhea' and 'vomit') it is SL. If SL put his name on UTAD, Crash, and BTCS, thus endorsing their merit as legitimate products - each unique in their own right but undeniably DMB at the same time (very different than everything else they've done) than the fact that he believes this their best work, has to be a good sign.

then again, maybe i'm far to immersed in anticipation of this album and am giving lillywhite too much credit. who the hell knows.
    Old 04-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #70
    BJisBA41

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Who cares? Did he mention anything about the status of OTAFAFDITM?
    BJisBA41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #71
    raustin1

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Now who wouldn't kill to hear Old Dirt Hill at a show. Everybody knows how strong the #2 hole traditionally is in DMB albums... WWYS, Two Step, Rapunzel, When The World Ends, Grey Street, Shake Me Like a Monkey. Maybe we haven't given ODH a fair shot at being a revolutionary song? Or maybe Stand Up was just terrible.....every league has to have a Pittsburgh Pirates
    Old 04-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #72
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Shake Me and ODH are both pretty horrible. Only tolerable in a D&T setting.
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #73
    CrashTheStone41
    Cordially Invited

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartender_man View Post
    Maybe since the Lillywhite sessions...
    Not an album so Kittens got you beat dog.

CrashTheStone41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #74
    vaxarado

Shows Seen: 49

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by raustin1 View Post
    Now who wouldn't kill to hear Old Dirt Hill at a show. Everybody knows how strong the #2 hole traditionally is in DMB albums... WWYS, Two Step, Rapunzel, When The World Ends, Grey Street, Shake Me Like a Monkey. Maybe we haven't given ODH a fair shot at being a revolutionary song? Or maybe Stand Up was just terrible.....every league has to have a Pittsburgh Pirates
    Old 04-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #75
    seanpathickey

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aggiekjw View Post
    yes, steve lillywhite's twitter is a private account. he does not have to answer anything on it. If a reporter ask you "is this their best album?" you are forced to answer because the question is public.

You people are ridiculous. what happened tonight is exactly what everyone on ants has wanted to see for 10 years.. why be debbie downer about it..

i've always thought that steve lillywhite made dmb.. I think his ideas on arrangements are central to the genius of their live music.. If dmb would not have produced their 2nd and 3rd albums with lillywhite, I don't think any of us would be here..
    this is an absolute joke. give steve lilywhite credit for being a good producer but you pretty much just undermined the other members of this band.
    seanpathickey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #76
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

DMB was best before Steve Lillywhite, 1993 supremacy, Big League Chew forever
    Old 04-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #77
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You're not familiar w/ "media" or "the entertainment industry" or "twitter" are you

People promote awful terrible things literally all of the time, on twitter and everywhere, solicited or unsolicited. People get excited when they work on things, even if those things may later turn out to be shit. Look at Stand Up. It is impossible to analyze and evaluate the present accurately; Lillywhite and the Band saying a thing means Nothing At All.

Plus it's on twitter where people just Say Shit all the time w/ no rhyme or reason.

Also god damn it I'm arguing w/ DMBc

Just wait for the dumb thing to come out, nobody actually knows anything until then.
    Old 04-09-2012, 05:26 AM   #78
    lafleurjp
    VisityourMommy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 View Post
    You're not familiar w/ "media" or "the entertainment industry" or "twitter" are you

People promote awful terrible things literally all of the time, on twitter and everywhere, solicited or unsolicited. People get excited when they work on things, even if those things may later turn out to be shit. Look at Stand Up. It is impossible to analyze and evaluate the present accurately; Lillywhite and the Band saying a thing means Nothing At All.

Plus it's on twitter where people just Say Shit all the time w/ no rhyme or reason.

Also god damn it I'm arguing w/ DMBc

Just wait for the dumb thing to come out, nobody actually knows anything until then.
    you paint with far to wide a brush and you're conflating several components of the debate into one (all in an effort i might add to apparently advocate for simply "waiting for the dumb thing [new album] to come out" which begs the question, what the f are you doing on ants if this is your mentality??) Maybe reread the posts in this thread for a start....we're not discussing what the industry at large does on twitter. i cede your point - of course social media is used to push ridiculous garbage marketing all day to the masses. We're talking about steve lillywhite. maybe you've noticed we're not debating stefan's tidbits about the album, RR's, or anyone elses from the band. Those critiques obviously don't hold much weight - we all remember SU. We're talking bout SL. If you want to point to a quote from SL where he makes ridiculous preposterous representations about a product (specifically about DMB) that turn out to be patently unture, i will eat my hat. If not, be quiet. I'm not "familiar" with social media as you appear not to be "familiar" with reading. or context.
    Old 04-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #79
    joshizzle3
    dj general

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    you paint with far to wide a brush and you're conflating several components of the debate into one (all in an effort i might add to apparently advocate for simply "waiting for the dumb thing [new album] to come out" which begs the question, what the f are you doing on ants if this is your mentality??) Maybe reread the posts in this thread for a start....we're not discussing what the industry at large does on twitter. i cede your point - of course social media is used to push ridiculous garbage marketing all day to the masses. We're talking about steve lillywhite. maybe you've noticed we're not debating stefan's tidbits about the album, RR's, or anyone elses from the band. Those critiques obviously don't hold much weight - we all remember SU. We're talking bout SL. If you want to point to a quote from SL where he makes ridiculous preposterous representations about a product (specifically about DMB) that turn out to be patently unture, i will eat my hat. If not, be quiet. I'm not "familiar" with social media as you appear not to be "familiar" with reading. or context.
    lol u old?
    joshizzle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #80
    lafleurjp
    VisityourMommy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshizzle3 View Post
    lol u old?
    ha. not too old. 30. but i can read. so i have that going for me.
    Old 04-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #81
    bluehorseshoe
    Beam and ginger please.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yes, steve lillywhite's twitter is a private account. he does not have to answer anything on it. If a reporter ask you "is this their best album?" you are forced to answer because the question is public.

You people are ridiculous. what happened tonight is exactly what everyone on ants has wanted to see for 10 years.. why be debbie downer about it..

i've always thought that steve lillywhite made dmb.. I think his ideas on arrangements are central to the genius of their live music.. If dmb would not have produced their 2nd and 3rd albums with lillywhite, I don't think any of us would be here..
    This press conference is over.
    bluehorseshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #82
    moosicmaniac

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

listen, everybody. They always say that the upcoming record is their best one. Happened with Stand Up, happened with Big Whiskey. It's easy to get excited and I'm not saying you shouldn't, but... smallest grain of salt, people.
    moosicmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #83
    stoneje
    EADGBe

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The bolded are more than slightly out of place around here. You might replace them with words like "blololol" or "n00dz" or even "if not pm, if not" if you want your next post to get more traction.
    stoneje is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #84
    clive bixby

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

oh this thread
    clive bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #85
    lafleurjp
    VisityourMommy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stoneje View Post
    The bolded are more than slightly out of place around here. You might replace them with words like "blololol" or "n00dz" or even "if not pm, if not" if you want your next post to get more traction.
    . touche. better? problem is, i have no idea what things like "n00dz" means. i don't have the internet vernacular down.
    Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #86
    vaxarado

Shows Seen: 49

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moosicmaniac View Post
    listen, everybody. They always say that the upcoming record is their best one. Happened with Stand Up, happened with Big Whiskey. It's easy to get excited and I'm not saying you shouldn't, but... smallest grain of salt, people.
    Exactly. I have a lot of faith in Lillywhite and think it'll likely be a pretty damn good album but chill out people. Give it time. Everything is the best when its being produced (otherwise, why would you?).
    Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #87
    cipron

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    you're an idiot.. you have a picture of philip phillips and posted 33000 times on a dmb fan site..
    hahahahahahahahahahaha
    cipron is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #88
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

What in the world is C trying to say?

There is a unreleased son on the album that is never been heard before that is his favorite?

That is really confusing.
    Old 04-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #89
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

He said the album is coming along swimmingly...Sweet is on the album!
    Old 04-09-2012, 08:01 AM   #90
    tub50328

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings. I'm well educated. Well versed. I know that situations like this, new albums wise, they're very complex.
    2008 Hershey 2009 Hershey, Camden 2010 SPAC, Hershey, Camden, Wrigley, Philly 2011 AC Caravan 2012 Hershey, Camden, Philly 2013 Camden 2014 Camden 2015 Camden, Gorge 2016 Oak Mountain, Gorge, 2017 Nashville 2018 Atlanta, Orange Beach, Gorge 2019 Oak Mountain, Nashville, Gorge 2021 Gorge, Milwaukee
    tub50328 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    epic? , may or may not be epic , no waves no tod