Are We Brainwashed? - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #61
Swizz2007

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Are We Brainwashed?

I heard Busted Stuff far before I ever got a hold of TLS...so naturally I like it more than most in the fanbase do.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #62
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I had sort of the same thought... what if BWGGK came after BTCS? I think it might not get as much love as it gets now. I don't think it would get as killed as ED/SU, but still wouldn't be talked about as 'one of the best'. I also think that if this album came after Crash - we might love it even more. Point is, anything following BTCS was going to be a let down - ED was just a GIANT let down.
    Old 06-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #63
    dmaul1114

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sharibean View Post
    afterthought or not, i still love the songs and i think ALL of them are a million times better than anything on Stand Up.
    Same here. And I don't care that others don't like it, nor feel any need to defend why I like it.

All that matters to me is that I enjoy Busted Stuff. I've never cared much in getting into discussions of why I like stuff or arguing with people who don't. It's all just subjective and discussing it's a waste of time IMO.

It's interesting to read others takes on songs, albums etc. But I've never had a desire to argue over those takes.
    Shows Attended: 6/15/96; 6/3/98; 5/9/99; 6/4/99; 8/2/02; 8/3/02; 7/14/04; 6/26/05; 6/24/06; 6/28/08; 6/19/09; 6/20/09; 7/27/10; 5/22/12; 12/11/12; 4/7/13; 5/24/14; 5/30/15; 5/28/16; 5/31/17; 5/26/18; 7/27/21; 5/21/22

Last edited by dmaul1114; 06-15-2009 at 10:35 AM.
    Old 06-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #64
    bmt322

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    Busted Stuff is a great collection of songs. As an album, it is a complete, unemotional, afterthought. The shame is that that collection of songs should have been given better final studio treatment.

Although I am a huge supporter for BS, I do have to agree that most of it is unemotional, EXCEPT FOR BARTENDER. The end of Grey Street can be considered emotional. But the reason why I don't care about the emotional aspect of BS is that BS is my summer album. I really only listen to it during the summer time. It has a light and summery feel to it. I don't need it to be emotional.

Yes, production could've been better. Stephen Harris did it, and he's an engineer I believe, but he still did a good job. You could say this album was underproduced, but its appropriate that it is. BS is very acoustic and it doesn't need all that production crap. I just wonder what the finished product would've been like if Lillywhite had finished it.
    Old 06-15-2009, 11:14 AM   #65
    sharibean

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
    Same here. And I don't care that others don't like it, nor feel any need to defend why I like it.

All that matters to me is that I enjoy Busted Stuff. I've never cared much in getting into discussions of why I like stuff or arguing with people who don't. It's all just subjective and discussing it's a waste of time IMO.

It's interesting to read others takes on songs, albums etc. But I've never had a desire to argue over those takes.
    agreed.
    Old 06-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #66
    atrippingbillie
    gardt

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

at the begging i was a little sadened because i didnt like BW at all, but now i like it

there are surely a few things that i dont like about it though
    Old 06-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #67
    atrippingbillie
    gardt

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swizz2007 View Post
    I heard Busted Stuff far before I ever got a hold of TLS...so naturally I like it more than most in the fanbase do.
    same, first albumn i ever owned, by DMB of course
    Old 06-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #68
    Big Hard Sun
    out of my head

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I think there is an importance to this album. This is a new band and a different but collective sound. This could be the start of a new big 3. I'm just glad they are back to creating statements with there music, and they now have a handful of new great songs to play.
    Old 06-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #69
    ShotgunDMB

My Tour Central Stats

I don't get people who don't like Busted Stuff. It's a good album, IMO. Good lyrics, good songwriting. Only thing I don't care for really is Captain.
    Old 06-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #70
    JohnnyVDMB
    Aligga go go gaw

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gaijin86 View Post
    I don't think Big Whiskey is world's beyond Busted Stuff, but other than that, my sentiments exactly.
    yeah, dont dis Busted Stuff, I agree. Busted Stuff was a great album, i think better than lillywhite sessions because it was more finished lyrically. off topic but thats my opinion.
    Old 06-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #71
    inmytree

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    Explain to me what it is about the Busted Stuff versions of Raven, Big Eyed Fish, and Captain that do anything like kick the crap out of the studio versions of IIHIA, What You Are, and Sleep To Dream Her.
    Well, they're better songs, barring what they did to Captain which boggles my mind to this day. By a rather large amount. If you feel that Sleep To Dream Her, What You Are, and If I Had It All are better songs than Raven and Big Eyed Fish, you're more than welcome to disagree. I think the BS songs are full of the musical complexity and arranging skills I love about this band, along with Dave's vocals and lyrics. The lyrics on Everyday, while better than they are given credit for, are still problematic and worse when coupled with some very bad music coupled with glossy, uninteresting production. I could go on, but that is basically my viewpoint.

I also don't understand what you picking those songs has anything to do with my original statement, which had to do with all of BS. There are quite a few other songs on BS, even if you do have problems with the three specific songs you mentioned. Now, discounting all of that, are you willing to say that anything on Everyday comes anywhere near the poetry and power on songs like Busted Stuff, Grey Street, You Never Know, Grace is Gone and Bartender? I understand that there are significant problems with BS, but despite that fact great songs tend to make for better albums than crappy songs.

Last edited by inmytree; 06-15-2009 at 02:06 PM.
    Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #72
    Dagwin

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

The songs on Busted Stuff are very good songs. When I first heard those songs on the 2000 tour, I was very excited for the new album. Grey Street was my favorite new tune. But, I liked them all. Bartender... JTR... SUAD... Big Eyed Fish... Busted Stuff... etc. Then the Lillywhite's leaked, and I couldn't stop playing the songs in my car.

However, we got Everyday, instead of our beloved Lillywhite songs, and we were all very angry. I clearly remember the day Busted Stuff came out, and it wasn't like a real album release date to me. The songs were old news. To me, it just seemed DMB's way to cash in on those songs they put so much time into. I can't blame them, either, but it seemed like they just rushed through them in the studio with Harris so they could get paid. Some of the lyric changes (especially Captain), and the way they chopped off Grey Street (which was further chopped later on live), kind of upset me, too.

But IMO, the songs on Busted Stuff are far superior to all of Everyday and Stand Up. It's just that when I want to hear those tunes, I usually pop in the Karmageddon remasters, or listen to some of the 2000 live versions. I will occasionally listen to Busted Stuff, which is infinitely more than I listen to Everyday or Stand Up (which is never).
    Old 06-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #73
    DustyKeys70
    100% Chance of Recently

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Drum beats louder...
    Old 06-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #74
    Panther41
    Since 1995

My Tour Central Stats

It's fun to argue "good" and "bad" from completely subjective opposing viewpoints. One of humanity's most prevalent activities, really. Starts some really great wars. Lots of death, blood. Fun stuff.

That said--BWGK is awesome. And Stand Up mostly sucks.
    Old 06-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #75
    cworty06
    I'm Clay

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Not in the least.

Simply b/c BW is better than Everyday and Stand Up doesnt make it a great album, the music on the album does.
    Get off your ass and feel some shit." --DJM
    Old 06-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #76
    coolhotwaves
    is classic

My Tour Central Stats

busted stuff, taken at face value is a great album. It really did get shafted in every way though, from the stripping of a few songs to a lackluster recording of the album. Had we not heard lillywhite captain, we would all think bs captain was good. That's my opinion and we will never really know anyway.
    Old 06-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #77
    emu513

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cworty06 View Post
    Not in the least.

Simply b/c BW is better than Everyday and Stand Up doesnt make it a great album, the music on the album does.
    That's not the point the OP was trying to make.
    Old 06-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #78
    JohnnyVDMB
    Aligga go go gaw

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Raven is the best work lyrically that has happened post-big 3