New local interviews with Dave about new album - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-15-2008, 06:52 AM   #91
berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New local interviews with Dave about new album

alright, fuck all of you guys. i did not feel like reading all of this page. but i did
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-15-2008, 06:56 AM   #92
    kjam1988

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by berman1125 View Post
    alright, fuck all of you guys. i did not feel like reading all of this page. but i did
    Care to recap? I didn't read it. That would be nuts.
    Old 04-15-2008, 08:05 AM   #93
    crawfish

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgengler View Post
    Just because someone thinkx something, doesnt make it true... Go ahead and stop being a fan if the next album isnt "great"... in your opinion. There will be a lot of people that will like it, some a lot, some might love it. I think people that are true fans of the music that DMB puts out would benefit, as would the band, if we shed those "fans" that can bad mouth DMB because they have an opinion that they think it correct because more then a few other people feel the same way. People that want to be negative and take away from the mood at a live show by "protesting" or pouting because a song that THEY dont like is being played is kinda lame and whiney. Imagine a show where everyone was there because they LOVE the band and can enjoy EVERY song that they do. Granted, some songs can be crowd killers in terms of energy, but if everyone was in the moment and you didnt have rude people talking through certain songs and ruining the vibe for the people around them, every show would be perfect. I love Smooth Rider.... It's a song about Dave being a pimp, not letting the risk of death from an angry father keep him from getting some lovin, all set to some bluesy, soulfull beats. It's such a real song with such a slick ass feel to it... Maybe I love it because I can relate, I almost got decapitated by my Ex's dad with a Hockey stick at 3 am when I was sneaking out of her room on a school night when I was in high school...

Either way, I dont see how people can talk so much shit about a band they supposedly love because they think their opinion is correct... How can you say there is no creativity in Stand Up or Everyday?? A creative wall?? Because something is different or not every song is 7 minutes long?? Get a grip people. Maybe you guys should just give up now and go spend time posting positive things on some other band's site. There are millions of people that love this band and might agree that stand-up isnt their best album, but still like it and dont see the band as being in any peril. If you have lost faith in the band or might do so if the next album isnt perfect by YOUR standards, then just bounce and leave DMB to be enjoyed by people that get Joy out of all the bands albums. Discussion is one thing, but saying something sucks or the band has hit a creative wall??? (laugh laugh) Hmmm... two or three consecutive albums that have all been different then the first three they produced... sounds pretty creative to me. I love the big three like everyone else does, but it would be easier to say they had hit a creative wall if all their albums sounded the same as the first 3 Loosen up people and open your minds a little... different isn't always bad. If you dont like something, dont bitch about it because that wont change it, just go listen to to some other music until the band puts out the album that you are looking for, however long that might take.
    LOL!! I don't post here much but I COULD NOT agree with you more. I think a lot of the negative posting comes because a lot of their fans are young. I've read some posts about SU and it's like some fans take it personal. I'm 38 and honestly don't feel the need to bitch and moan about the SU or Everyday songs. They may not be their best studio work but I honestly love hearing those songs at the concerts.
    Old 04-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #94
    crawfish

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DerekJTR2 View Post
    Very valid point.

What do you make of fans like me? I got into DMB through Stand Up. It was the first thing I listened to and then I worked my way through all the old stuff and I'm obsessed. I loved Stand Up and I still like it a lot. It's obviously nothing in comparison to the old stuff, but I do think too many people write it off so completely because of it's comparison to the old stuff. I certainly do not think it sucks.
    I'm right with you bro... Stand Up was the first DMB album I ever bought. I happen to like it.... a lot
    Old 04-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #95
    barre05

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    I'm right with you bro... Stand Up was the first DMB album I ever bought. I happen to like it.... a lot
    I can relate too! My first DMB album was Everyday (even if I heard songs from UTTAD and Crash before).

I loved Everyday, but I was looking for the organic sound of Crash and UTTAD, so I went out and bought every album I could.

But yeah, Everyday got me started. It's not their best work, but even that album is still way better than a lot of music on the radio.
    Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #96
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    LOL!! I don't post here much but I COULD NOT agree with you more. I think a lot of the negative posting comes because a lot of their fans are young. I've read some posts about SU and it's like some fans take it personal. I'm 38 and honestly don't feel the need to bitch and moan about the SU or Everyday songs. They may not be their best studio work but I honestly love hearing those songs at the concerts.
    Well if you absolutely detested hearing those songs live, you might be more inclined to bitch and moan about them, especially at $60 plus gas a ticket.
    Old 04-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #97
    bennettr
    Guild Member

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barre05 View Post
    I can relate too! My first DMB album was Everyday (even if I heard songs from UTTAD and Crash before).

I loved Everyday, but I was looking for the organic sound of Crash and UTTAD, so I went out and bought every album I could.

But yeah, Everyday got me started. It's not their best work, but even that album is still way better than a lot of music on the radio.
    I think it is safe to say that the majority of DMB fans do not say that Stand Up/Everyday is their favorite (providing they know all of the music) BUT key thing here is that SU has brought in a lot of great new fans. And for that it shouldn't be bashed endlessly.

just trying to see Last Stop live
    Old 04-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #98
    marco j
    Sweet Chicken creator

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm 34 and I detest most everything of those albums. Get real.

the band has become stale being ignorant about it isn't going to improve the live show.
    Old 04-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #99
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bennettr View Post
    I think it is safe to say that the majority of DMB fans do not say that Stand Up/Everyday is their favorite (providing they know all of the music) BUT key thing here is that SU has brought in a lot of great new fans. And for that it shouldn't be bashed endlessly.
    Truthfully, if Stand Up brought in fans that something like tLWS wouldn't had it been released, I'd would be super pleased with those people still not being fans.
    Old 04-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #100
    bennettr
    Guild Member

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marco j View Post
    I'm 34 and I detest most everything of those albums. Get real.

the band has become stale being ignorant about it isn't going to improve the live show.
    I don't like to be too harsh on the SU and ED stuff. But I do think that complaining and letting the band know that we think they were underachieving was a good thing. Or I hope it leads to good things (with the new album that is).

Old 04-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #101
    bennettr
    Guild Member

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    Truthfully, if Stand Up brought in fans that something like tLWS wouldn't had it been released, I'd would be super pleased with those people still not being fans.
    Thats really lame, dude. I am a SU product fan. And I think that is really low of you to say that you would be "super pleased" if I wasn't a fan.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #102
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thats really lame, dude. I am a SU product fan. And I think that is really low of you to say that you would be "super pleased" if I wasn't a fan.
    So you are saying that if you had heard UTTAD or BTCS and SU didn't exist you would not have become a fan? Because that's who I said I would be pleased about.
    Old 04-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #103
    marco j
    Sweet Chicken creator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't like to be too harsh on the SU and ED stuff. But I do think that complaining and letting the band know that we think they were underachieving was a good thing. Or I hope it leads to good things (with the new album that is).

Also Lewis is talking about people who actually think the new direction is good dMb.
    Old 04-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #104
    Northerntube

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

that's some pretty twisted logic ML, Marco j.
    Old 04-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #105
    bennettr
    Guild Member

My Tour Central Stats

I suppose I misunderstood what point you were trying to get across. What if someone who had heard UUTAD or BTCS, wasn't a fan, then became a fan and then their favorite song was Bayou and Stay. Then, fast forward, they don't like those songs as their favorites anymore and now their favorites are Last Stop and 41. Would you wish that person to not be a fan?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #106
    marco j
    Sweet Chicken creator

My Tour Central Stats

What part Northern? The fact that if we don't like a product or direction the band takes and telling them so? Or not liking people who accept less than mediocrity from a band that is capable of greatness?
    Old 04-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #107
    Northerntube

My Tour Central Stats

The part about being pleased if someone hadn't become a fan of Dave Matthews Band.
    Old 04-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #108
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I suppose I misunderstood what point you were trying to get across. What if someone who had heard UUTAD or BTCS, wasn't a fan, then became a fan and then their favorite song was Bayou and Stay. Then, fast forward, they don't like those songs as their favorites anymore and now their favorites are Last Stop and 41. Would you wish that person to not be a fan?
    I wouldn't wish that person to not be a fan per se, but would I have rathered DMB continued putting out albums of UTTAD, LWS quality and live with the consequences of that person not being a fan? Absolutely.
    Old 04-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #109
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northerntube View Post
    The part about being pleased if someone hadn't become a fan of Dave Matthews Band.
    It's nothing personal.
    Old 04-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #110
    marco j
    Sweet Chicken creator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That wasn't me but I think Lewis is talking about someone who likes the music on SU an doesn't understand or care this poor direction the band has been on.

It's cool if someone gets into the band from SU even though I can't comprehend why?! They should atleast mature into recognizing that it is pure shit compared to UTTAD, Crash, BTCS, and tLWS.
    Old 04-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #111
    DerekJTR2

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well if you absolutely detested hearing those songs live, you might be more inclined to bitch and moan about them, especially at $60 plus gas a ticket.
    If you can use the words "aboslutely detest" then I really think that you should not be a fan of the band, period. You're entitled to your opinion but your the #1 Buzzkill, seriously.
    Old 04-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #112
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgengler View Post
    "and just because you think the lyrics are deep and meaningful doesn't mean that the majority of this forum will agree with you. Overall there is no debating that this is DMB's weakest album to date. If you do not agree with that view point I am very interested to see what you think is."

Again, maybe people were so put off by the beats and sounds that they didnt stop to think in depth about what the songs meant. I am not in people's minds nor do I care to be, but just because a majority of people dont look deeper and see what the songs could be about, doesnt mean the meaning isnt there. And besides, Dave says that all his songs are about Love, Sex and Death
    OK you quote me but don't answer the questions at all. And you really can't look that deep into the lyrics from SU. People are still debating what Dreaming Tree is about and that came out 10 years ago. That is deep writing. And I wasn't being thrown off by the beats and sounds, I was thrown off by what came out in 2005 after what we had all experienced in 2004. That is where you will be lost in this conversation and will not understand because you weren't on the forums back then and weren't into the band. After the 04 tour this place was buzzing with excitement about the new album, then SU came out and was the biggest turd that could have possibly came out.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #113
    Northerntube

My Tour Central Stats

see, I take some of this a little personally because I've been into DMB since I first heard them around 1995. First saw them in 1996, loved them. And guess what? I think SU is a fine album. Not "pure shit" at all. No, not their best, but not pure shit. Get ready for this but..... I LIKE IT!

It's fine to voice your criticisms of this band, from a certain perspective they are valid. I'm also not saying I think it's good to love everything without consideration. But to actually dislike *people* who get some real pleasure out of what you may think is lacking is the twisted logic I was referring to.
    Old 04-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #114
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you can use the words "aboslutely detest" then I really think that you should not be a fan of the band, period. You're entitled to your opinion but your the #1 Buzzkill, seriously.
    I care deeply.
    Old 04-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #115
    DerekJTR2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I care deeply.
    Funny.
    But I think you put entirely too much hate into the way you describe the music and the fans. I like Stand Up a lot, and it's okay if you don't, but you constantly write everyone off and accept no other opinion.

I accept your opinions, I don't agree with them, but I accept them.
    It's the way you talk down to everyone.

Come on Lewis, Stand up for it.
    Old 04-15-2008, 12:01 PM   #116
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    see, I take some of this a little personally because I've been into DMB since I first heard them around 1995. First saw them in 1996, loved them. And guess what? I think SU is a fine album. Not "pure shit" at all. No, not their best, but not pure shit. Get ready for this but..... I LIKE IT!

It's fine to voice your criticisms of this band, from a certain perspective they are valid. I'm also not saying I think it's good to love everything without consideration. But to actually dislike *people* who get some real pleasure out of what you may think is lacking is the twisted logic I was referring to.
    I don't dislike the people. I would just be ok with them not being fans if it meant more great DMB albums. I actually like many people who aren't DMB fans at all!
    Old 04-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #117
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I actually think that Lewis is one of the most knowledgeable posters on here, and although you may hate how he goes about his posts at time; he is the type of person you need. He will not stand for a decent album, or even a good album. Well know that DMB is capable of greatest, the first 3 albums point that out. And I think Lewis and much of this community are waiting for them to return to that state.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #118
    DerekJTR2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't dislike the people. I would just be ok with them not being fans if it meant more great DMB albums. I actually like many people who aren't DMB fans at all!
    So your logic, your very snobby logic, tells you that:
    Fans who like the music of Stand Up/Everyday (lesser music) = Weak DMB albums?
    Old 04-15-2008, 12:05 PM   #119
    DerekJTR2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayman414 View Post
    I actually think that Lewis is one of the most knowledgeable posters on here, and although you may hate how he goes about his posts at time; he is the type of person you need. He will not stand for a decent album, or even a good album. Well know that DMB is capable of greatest, the first 3 albums point that out. And I think Lewis and much of this community are waiting for them to return to that state.
    We are all waiting for that, but is it necessary to say that things SUCK, over and over and over?

I just feel the time spent on negativity could be channeled elsewhere.
    Old 04-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #120
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So your logic, your very snobby logic, tells you that:
    Fans who like the music of Stand Up/Everyday (lesser music) = Weak DMB albums?
    No. My logic, call it snobby if you like, is that if I had a choice between DMB releasing three great albums over the last decade vs. what actually happened, I would choose the three great albums. If the consequences were that some people who became fans wouldn't become fans, oh well.