New local interviews with Dave about new album - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-13-2008, 10:54 PM   #61
brobb

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New local interviews with Dave about new album

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgengler View Post
Just because someone thinkx something, doesnt make it true... Go ahead and stop being a fan if the next album isnt "great"... in your opinion. There will be a lot of people that will like it, some a lot, some might love it. I think people that are true fans of the music that DMB puts out would benefit, as would the band, if we shed those "fans" that can bad mouth DMB because they have an opinion that they think it correct because more then a few other people feel the same way. People that want to be negative and take away from the mood at a live show by "protesting" or pouting because a song that THEY dont like is being played is kinda lame and whiney. Imagine a show where everyone was there because they LOVE the band and can enjoy EVERY song that they do. Granted, some songs can be crowd killers in terms of energy, but if everyone was in the moment and you didnt have rude people talking through certain songs and ruining the vibe for the people around them, every show would be perfect. I love Smooth Rider.... It's a song about Dave being a pimp, not letting the risk of death from an angry father keep him from getting some lovin, all set to some bluesy, soulfull beats. It's such a real song with such a slick ass feel to it... Maybe I love it because I can relate, I almost got decapitated by my Ex's dad with a Hockey stick at 3 am when I was sneaking out of her room on a school night when I was in high school...

Either way, I dont see how people can talk so much shit about a band they supposedly love because they think their opinion is correct... How can you say there is no creativity in Stand Up or Everyday?? A creative wall?? Because something is different or not every song is 7 minutes long?? Get a grip people. Maybe you guys should just give up now and go spend time posting positive things on some other band's site. There are millions of people that love this band and might agree that stand-up isnt their best album, but still like it and dont see the band as being in any peril. If you have lost faith in the band or might do so if the next album isnt perfect by YOUR standards, then just bounce and leave DMB to be enjoyed by people that get Joy out of all the bands albums. Discussion is one thing, but saying something sucks or the band has hit a creative wall??? (laugh laugh) Hmmm... two or three consecutive albums that have all been different then the first three they produced... sounds pretty creative to me. I love the big three like everyone else does, but it would be easier to say they had hit a creative wall if all their albums sounded the same as the first 3 Loosen up people and open your minds a little... different isn't always bad. If you dont like something, dont bitch about it because that wont change it, just go listen to to some other music until the band puts out the album that you are looking for, however long that might take.
Hey, it's fine if you like Stand Up, a lot of people do. But to say there has been no drop in creativity over the years is just wrong. The first 3 albums were each different from each other while still being lyrically and musically outstanding. The last 3 however were incredibly lack luster. It's not the change in style, but complete lack of effort that is so obvious in the sessions. Even the members have stated the albums faults after they had been out for a while.

Now I still love band and have great hope for this new cd, but I don't pretend that Stand Up was good because my favorite band released it. That's just stupid. I'm not going to adjust my standards just because the band has adjusted theirs. I do, however, know the potential this band has and become a little disappointed when they don't try nearly as hard as they used to.

Sometimes I walk there
Sometimes, God knows, I take a bus there

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-13-2008, 11:48 PM   #62
    DerekJTR2

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brobb View Post
    Hey, it's fine if you like Stand Up, a lot of people do. But to say there has been no drop in creativity over the years is just wrong. The first 3 albums were each different from each other while still being lyrically and musically outstanding. The last 3 however were incredibly lack luster. It's not the change in style, but complete lack of effort that is so obvious in the sessions. Even the members have stated the albums faults after they had been out for a while.

Now I still love band and have great hope for this new cd, but I don't pretend that Stand Up was good because my favorite band released it. That's just stupid. I'm not going to adjust my standards just because the band has adjusted theirs. I do, however, know the potential this band has and become a little disappointed when they don't try nearly as hard as they used to.
    Very valid point.

What do you make of fans like me? I got into DMB through Stand Up. It was the first thing I listened to and then I worked my way through all the old stuff and I'm obsessed. I loved Stand Up and I still like it a lot. It's obviously nothing in comparison to the old stuff, but I do think too many people write it off so completely because of it's comparison to the old stuff. I certainly do not think it sucks.
    Old 04-14-2008, 12:00 AM   #63
    PantalaNagaMan
    O! H!

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DerekJTR2 View Post
    Very valid point.

What do you make of fans like me? I got into DMB through Stand Up. It was the first thing I listened to and then I worked my way through all the old stuff and I'm obsessed. I loved Stand Up and I still like it a lot. It's obviously nothing in comparison to the old stuff, but I do think too many people write it off so completely because of it's comparison to the old stuff. I certainly do not think it sucks.
    I wouldn't use the term sucks.

But the compositions from Stand Up in my mind are incomplete, they have a lack of emotion, and are a complete waste of creativity. Someone would play a riff, and the producer would introduce a new song that would be worked on for a day - and then on to the next song. That isn't how it should work.

What the band is doing now, by sitting around in a circle - feeding off each others ideas and taking these ideas and piecing songs together during a span of time is what this band needs to do.

I write off most of the SU songs because they bring nothing to the table emotionally and creativley for me (exceptions: D&T ODH, ABI, AB, OOMH). The lyrics on the album for the most part sound like a something any writer with an Associates Degree could write. They're regular, they're....nothing.
    Old 04-14-2008, 12:22 AM   #64
    brobb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Very valid point.

Honestly, if another band had released Stand Up, I don't think it would get half the criticism it gets today. Some bands are good at making just little nothing songs that you can listen once in a while just to have in the background. However when you've been listening to a band that has taught you to expect the best...well, that's just what happens. So when they release something like Stand Up, it just seems so out of place. Now of course most people are going to like the cd that got them into the band, whether it's Stand Up or Everyday (Red Rocks for me personally ), or whatever. That's just how it is. But stick around for a few more albums from this band and you'll see what I mean.

Sometimes I walk there
    Old 04-14-2008, 04:07 AM   #65
    webbo_5
    Baboon Farm Owner

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Very valid point.

It blows my mind that Stand Up could get anyone into this band.
    Old 04-14-2008, 06:50 AM   #66
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by webbo_5 View Post
    Dreamgirl and Steady as we Go hooked me...then I heard Too Much and, well, the rest is history
    Old 04-14-2008, 07:20 AM   #67
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brobb View Post
    Honestly, if another band had released Stand Up, I don't think it would get half the criticism it gets today. Some bands are good at making just little nothing songs that you can listen once in a while just to have in the background. However when you've been listening to a band that has taught you to expect the best...well, that's just what happens. So when they release something like Stand Up, it just seems so out of place. Now of course most people are going to like the cd that got them into the band, whether it's Stand Up or Everyday (Red Rocks for me personally ), or whatever. That's just how it is. But stick around for a few more albums from this band and you'll see what I mean.

Then end of your statement is the key for people who haven't been around for awhile or are just getting into the band.

Quote:

Yea I agree, I remember listening to this album the day before it came out and felt so empty and incomplete. I thought MTV had leaked the wrong album

Old 04-14-2008, 07:21 AM   #68
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    Old 04-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #69
    cherone21

Shows Seen: 73

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Very valid point.

I think it is a good album. They tried to lighten up the mood and try a different style. I certainly don't see that as negative direction for the band. There is plenty of time for more complex material.
    Old 04-14-2008, 10:52 AM   #70
    timgengler
    Oh, little dreamer

Shows Seen: 57

My Tour Central Stats

It blows my mind equally how people can NOT like SU... But there's the difference... I dont believe my opinion is any more right or valid then anybody else's. It also blows my mind that people can post 10, 20 30 thousand posts and more... How much free time do you guys have... especially when all that time is spent being negative... And lack of emotion on SU?? How about steady as we go? Another song that I am confused by how many people hate. And how about emotion as a positive thing or feeling... 'emotional' doesnt just have to be sad or slow or make you cry. It was 80 degrees this weekend at the beach here in So Cal this weekend... I put my windows down, opened up my sun roof and blasted SU on my new system as I just cruised the beach and PCH. It felt so good and the songs were perfect for that mood. Only had to skip a couple songs to keep the flow (SA55th&3rd for example.... never been a big, or even little fan of that song,) Now maybe if I had just broken up with my fiance', had just gotten fired from a great job or I was just hating life, Before these Crowded Streets would have been a perfect choice tp blast and get lost in. Point is, maybe the emotion in Stand Up and the point in the album was to be a an album that made you STAND UP and move... to feel good. Creatively the songs grew when live, like all their songs, but the album versions were designed they way they were for a reason. And it's easy to be critical of your own work... dave's a bit of a lyrical perfectionist and his own biggest critic... he's never completely satisfied, even when he is... boyd loves stand up, fonze loved the feel of it too and the room he had to write... So everybody should ease up on the negativity and realize that just because there are others of you that believe SU was a lapse in creativity and the "NORMAL" sound that "IS" DMB, doesnt make you right... just makes you guys a lil' closed minded and unable to see what they were doing did, and will continue to do... write music for them, not us. While it wouldnt be nearly as often, if we didnt listen, DMB would still occiasionally get together and play because that is what they love to do... play music that they like.

Last edited by timgengler; 04-14-2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: fixing grammar
    Old 04-14-2008, 11:13 AM   #71
    Northerntube

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

It does seem awfully regressive to constantly wish things are different than they actually are.

Last edited by Northerntube; 04-14-2008 at 11:17 AM.
    Old 04-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #72
    PantalaNagaMan
    O! H!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It blows my mind equally how people can NOT like SU... But there's the difference... I dont believe my opinion is any more right or valid then anybody else's. It also blows my mind that people can post 10, 20 30 thousand posts and more... How much free time do you guys have... especially when all that time is spent being negative... And lack of emotion on SU?? How about steady as we go? Another song that I am confused by how many people hate. And how about emotion as a positive thing or feeling... 'emotional' doesnt just have to be sad or slow or make you cry. It was 80 degrees this weekend at the beach here in So Cal this weekend... I put my windows down, opened up my sun roof and blasted SU on my new system as I just cruised the beach and PCH. It felt so good and the songs were perfect for that mood. Only had to skip a couple songs to keep the flow (SA55th&3rd for example.... never been a big, or even little fan of that song,) Now maybe if I had just broken up with my fiance', had just gotten fired from a great job or I was just hating life, Before these Crowded Streets would have been a perfect choice tp blast and get lost in. Point is, maybe the emotion in Stand Up and the point in the album was to be a an album that made you STAND UP and move... to feel good. Creatively the songs grew when live, like all their songs, but the album versions were designed they way they were for a reason. And it's easy to be critical of your own work... dave's a bit of a lyrical perfectionist and his own biggest critic... he's never completely satisfied, even when he is... boyd loves stand up, fonze loved the feel of it too and the room he had to write... So everybody should ease up on the negativity and realize that just because there are others of you that believe SU was a lapse in creativity and the "NORMAL" sound that "IS" DMB, doesnt make you right... just makes you guys a lil' closed minded and unable to see what they were doing did, and will continue to do... write music for them, not us. While it wouldnt be nearly as often, if we didnt listen, DMB would still occiasionally get together and play because that is what they love to do... play music that they like.
    Bold Point Rebuttles:

1. Post count doesn't have to account towards free time, so please don't unecessarily bash members on here who are valid posters in a forum for no reason that doesn't support the subject whatsoever. If you want to know, a lot of these people post in nDMB related forums where they talk to a lot of friends that are made via this forum. A lot post from work and school....Now back to the argument at hand.

2. I'm a level headed thinker. I would never say anything this band does "Sucks" because they are artists - and well, it's theirs...but I will be damned if I can't critique them. Steady As We Go? From a musical standpoint - come on. Any 10th grade garage band can perform this piece. A simple (and not simple like Pay For What You Get-esque), drumming work from Carter. And by simple, I mean the first three minutes are Carter working on a crash and high hat and occasionally hitting the toms when he wants to. The song is nothing more than a piano piece covered by an occasional bass line and 20 seconds of horns. I personally have never thought the lyrics were that bad....but in comparison to anything the band has done in the past...It isn't as creative as what they can be - that's all anyone is trying to say.

3. Exactly. What happened to Dave being emotional about Genocide, about Wars in other countries, about society, about conformity, about true human emotion. Stand Up is about sex and love....and George W. Bush. Find something else, I dare you.

4. I don't hate Stand Up. Yeah, during Summer Time I do listen to Stand Up at times, and I get lost in the fact that it is good background music for a warm day. But that isn't the argument in hand. We are talking about creativity and overall composition standards of the band. Nothing on Stand Up holds a candle to anything pre 2005.

5. The band likes the sessions because they had fun. Because they made the record with a producer that was a friend - because there was really truly no work to it. Ok, that's cool I guess - They are millionaires, and whose to say anything about what they want to do with their time. But as fans of the band, some of us are accepting to what the band puts out just because it says "Dave Matthews Band" and others of us care what the band puts out based on the amount of work and true musicianship they placed on the sessions.

6. Why should the negative people ease up, and why shouldn't over positive people ease up? Most people you consider negative are the biggest supporters of this band and know their true potential. Everyone has their own opinion, so no one in a true perfect world should have to change anything they feel. - Also, the band should continue making music for them, and not for us? Unless they plan on selling 25 million records to their family - I'm going to guess they should keep on considering WHAT the fans want. It's a smart thing to do if your a productive musician.
    Old 04-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #73
    bennettr
    Guild Member

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PantalaNagaMan View Post
    Bold Point Rebuttles:

1. Post count doesn't have to account towards free time, so please don't unecessarily bash members on here who are valid posters in a forum for no reason that doesn't support the subject whatsoever. If you want to know, a lot of these people post in nDMB related forums where they talk to a lot of friends that are made via this forum. A lot post from work and school....Now back to the argument at hand.

2. I'm a level headed thinker. I would never say anything this band does "Sucks" because they are artists - and well, it's theirs...but I will be damned if I can't critique them. Steady As We Go? From a musical standpoint - come on. Any 10th grade garage band can perform this piece. A simple (and not simple like Pay For What You Get-esque), drumming work from Carter. And by simple, I mean the first three minutes are Carter working on a crash and high hat and occasionally hitting the toms when he wants to. The song is nothing more than a piano piece covered by an occasional bass line and 20 seconds of horns. I personally have never thought the lyrics were that bad....but in comparison to anything the band has done in the past...It isn't as creative as what they can be - that's all anyone is trying to say.

3. Exactly. What happened to Dave being emotional about Genocide, about Wars in other countries, about society, about conformity, about true human emotion. Stand Up is about sex and love....and George W. Bush. Find something else, I dare you.

4. I don't hate Stand Up. Yeah, during Summer Time I do listen to Stand Up at times, and I get lost in the fact that it is good background music for a warm day. But that isn't the argument in hand. We are talking about creativity and overall composition standards of the band. Nothing on Stand Up holds a candle to anything pre 2005.

5. The band likes the sessions because they had fun. Because they made the record with a producer that was a friend - because there was really truly no work to it. Ok, that's cool I guess - They are millionaires, and whose to say anything about what they want to do with their time. But as fans of the band, some of us are accepting to what the band puts out just because it says "Dave Matthews Band" and others of us care what the band puts out based on the amount of work and true musicianship they placed on the sessions.

6. Why should the negative people ease up, and why shouldn't over positive people ease up? Most people you consider negative are the biggest supporters of this band and know their true potential. Everyone has their own opinion, so no one in a true perfect world should have to change anything they feel. - Also, the band should continue making music for them, and not for us? Unless they plan on selling 25 million records to their family - I'm going to guess they should keep on considering WHAT the fans want. It's a smart thing to do if your a productive musician.

Henry David Thoreau said in his book, Walden,

"I trust that none will stretch the seams in putting on the coat, for it may do good service to him whom it fits."

I feel like a person should not have such a high level of entitlement, especially in art.

just trying to see Last Stop live
    Old 04-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #74
    PantalaNagaMan
    O! H!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bennettr View Post
    [/B]Henry David Thoreau said in his book, Walden,

"I trust that none will stretch the seams in putting on the coat, for it may do good service to him whom it fits."

I feel like a person should not have such a high level of entitlement, especially in art.
    Are you speaking of the band, or as the fanbase?
    Old 04-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #75
    bennettr
    Guild Member

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

its something dave could say to people who say stand up sucks

just trying to see Last Stop live
    Old 04-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #76
    timgengler
    Oh, little dreamer

My Tour Central Stats

Gotcha... sorry bout the posts thing, but still 35,000 posts means there is a large amount of time spent doing nothing but venting,whining and not being social in real life. You do have the right to voice your opinion, but you also have the choice on how you do it and what methods you use to take your stance. The negativity thing... some people just choose to spend their energy in ways that are useful and uplifting. You can have an opinion but it seems like you dont think you have an opinion, but you know a fact. Just because you think the album sounds one way or makes you feel something as if it's just "background music" Again, because you think something doesnt make it true or fact. The lyrics on Stand Up... again, just because you think there are only three main topics, doesnt make you right. American Baby isnt necessarily about George Bush. If you have an open enough mind, it isnt necessarily about America if you can wrap your mind around that. Maybe it uses America as a contrast for something else... try looking deeper then what lyrics SOUND like they might be about. Lyrics are subjective and if written well, can be used to tell many different storied at once. All could be spot on. Only Dave knows for sure what it is he writes about, and Im pretty sure that he often times writes things so that they can be ambiguous and fit a couple different paths. Ever thoughy about Stand-Up as a song talking about the fighting of an addiction? And if you have, what kind of addiction? Ever thought about You might die trying... how many different ways can you think of that might die trying... and what kind of death would it be... spiritual, mental, physical. Dont say lyrics arent deep just because you dont get them. MAybe something that sounds simple just sounds simple to you. To tell you the truth, I dont see where George Bush fits in with most of the songs at all... And the one that does seem to reference him, might be made to seem like an obvious reference when in fact it was about some other tyranical dictator or leader.... or something completely different. Dont bash a band's creativity because you dont get it. Just because something isnt as intricate or all over the place as they could be, doesnt mean they were lazy in their choices. Like I said, you see what they do with the songs live... MAYBE THEY WANTED SU TO SOUND LIKE THE ALBUM THAT IT IS ON PURPOSE, not on accident. MAybe it's not lazy or a half ass effort, maybe that's the sound they intended and were OK with because it fit the name of the album.
    Old 04-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #77
    Northerntube

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PantalaNagaMan View Post
    Also, the band should continue making music for them, and not for us? Unless they plan on selling 25 million records to their family - I'm going to guess they should keep on considering WHAT the fans want. It's a smart thing to do if your a productive musician.
    I disagree with this line of thinking.

First, how could the band possibly come to any kind of consensus as to what their fans want? There are thousands upon thousands of us, a large number of whom do not spend their time online debating the most minute and insignificant details. It is not a homogenous mass whose intentions and desires can be summed up neatly.

Secondly, even if we can at the very least say, ok what the audience wants is MUSIC, it doesn't serve the creation of new music to give two shits about what anyone else thinks of it. Artists create art. The audience simply bears witness to it. If they like it, they like it, and if they don't, well no-one is putting a gun to their heads to continue to support the artist(s).

No, trying to play the fool's game of sussing out what thousands upon thousands of different people might expect from you does not contribute to productive music making, It only impedes it. All you can do is do the best you can and try to tune out all the distractions, most especially from those who deign to impose their expectations on you, as if they're owed something.
    Old 04-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #78
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Dont bash a band's creativity because you dont get it. Just because something isnt as intricate or all over the place as they could be, doesnt mean they were lazy in their choices. Like I said, you see what they do with the songs live... MAYBE THEY WANTED SU TO SOUND LIKE THE ALBUM THAT IT IS ON PURPOSE, not on accident. MAybe it's not lazy or a half ass effort, maybe that's the sound they intended and were OK with because it fit the name of the album.

You see this is where you are wrong. The SU Sessions were somewhat of a half-ass, lazy studio session. Yes the band supposedly had a ton of material but I cannot imagine it being any better than what was on SU. Each day or so was a different song based of a 30 second or so rift from someone in the band. Then someone occasionally coming in and playing a different tone or beat while Baston looped the whole thing. Drum Machines were used over Carter, does that sound productive or lazy? And more than likely yes they wanted a much more relaxed setting in the studio, but that still does not mean they have to mail in an album and only be semi-productive in the studio.

If you want to be an advocate for SU thats fine, but you have to look at it from all sides, and just because you think the lyrics are deep and meaningful doesn't mean that the majority of this forum will agree with you. Overall there is no debating that this is DMB's weakest album to date. If you do not agree with that view point I am very interested to see what you think is.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #79
    brobb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northerntube View Post

First, how could the band possibly come to any kind of consensus as to what their fans want? There are thousands upon thousands of us, a large number of whom do not spend their time online debating the most minute and insignificant details. It is not a homogenous mass whose intentions and desires can be summed up neatly.

Secondly, even if we can at the very least say, ok what the audience wants is MUSIC, it doesn't serve the creation of new music to give two shits about what anyone else thinks of it. Artists create art. The audience simply bears witness to it. If they like it, they like it, and if they don't, well no-one is putting a gun to their heads to continue to support the artist(s).

No, trying to play the fool's game of sussing out what thousands upon thousands of different people might expect from you does not contribute to productive music making, It only impedes it. All you can do is do the best you can and try to tune out all the distractions, most especially from those who deign to impose their expectations on you, as if they're owed something.
    To the bold, I think this is all that fans really want. For the band to TRY and put forth the incredible talent that this band has to offer. From what we've seen live, many of the Stand Up songs had incredible potential but just came out so rushed and half-hearted. Because honestly for most the fan base it's not the genre the band plays, but how well they play it.

Sometimes I walk there
    Old 04-14-2008, 05:59 PM   #80
    maccajo
    ORYGUN

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not to stray too far from topic, but Dave said he (Adam Sandler) makes works of Genius, not EVERYTHING he does is genius. Some of Sandler's movies and comedic performances are to the comedic movie and television genre, that some of Dave/DMB's albums are to music... works of genius in their own right. Happy Gilmore is a comic classic, The Chanukah song is known round the world and the Opera Man from SNL is one of the shining moments in that show's history. Now, some of us dont like Stand Up or Every Day... That doesnt take away from the genius that is BTCS or UTTAD, does it!? Sandler wouldn't be where he was if he wasnt one of the best at what he does, making people... millions and millions of people... millions of people that dont even speak english around the world, laugh and enjoy that little moment in time. So give Dave a break. I'm sure Adam is one of his friends and he's not gonna say "I went down to be in one of Adam's projects, hopefully this one doesnt suck"

Go Dave and go DMB!!!!! New album will be amazing, I dont know why everyone stresses so much. If this album isnt perfect and exactly what everybody who ISNT IN THE BAND wants, are you guys gonna defect and jump ship? If yes, then you're not really true fans and should go listen to some Phish or something. We love DMB because even the worst of what they do is 90% better then the best of what everybody else does. Did you really listen to Stand-Up once and then never again?? All thier albums have been GOOD at the very least. Nothing has been bad... something different isnt necessarily bad... yeah, drum loops and hip hop and pop producers arent the greatest things in the world to everybody, but none of those albums were just put out without any thought or intention... That is what they wanted at that time. Im sure they could have scrapped the albums and started again if the ended up with something that THEY were not proud of. I have never understood all the haters that are so down on certain albums because "that's not true DMB" or "they just put out something to put out something" Last time I checked, Busted Stuff is listed as an album by... THE DAVE MATTHEWS BAND. If this next album isnt perfect, then thank god we love a band that is amazing enough to have the longevity that they seem to be capable of having... Maybe we get lucky enough and they put out a enough albums that eventually everybody is satisified by the "Dark Side of the Moon"edness of one of them.

Either think positively or dont think at all, what's the point in being negative, it's not gonna change anything anyways other then how you feel inside and how you come off to others.

PL&DMB

thank you
    Old 04-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #81
    ShotgunDMB

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Just a tip: He was probably being sarcastic when he said Sandler made "works of genious".
    Old 04-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #82
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Gotcha... sorry bout the posts thing, but still 35,000 posts means there is a large amount of time spent doing nothing but venting,whining and not being social in real life. You do have the right to voice your opinion, but you also have the choice on how you do it and what methods you use to take your stance. The negativity thing... some people just choose to spend their energy in ways that are useful and uplifting. You can have an opinion but it seems like you dont think you have an opinion, but you know a fact. Just because you think the album sounds one way or makes you feel something as if it's just "background music" Again, because you think something doesnt make it true or fact. The lyrics on Stand Up... again, just because you think there are only three main topics, doesnt make you right. American Baby isnt necessarily about George Bush. If you have an open enough mind, it isnt necessarily about America if you can wrap your mind around that. Maybe it uses America as a contrast for something else... try looking deeper then what lyrics SOUND like they might be about. Lyrics are subjective and if written well, can be used to tell many different storied at once. All could be spot on. Only Dave knows for sure what it is he writes about, and Im pretty sure that he often times writes things so that they can be ambiguous and fit a couple different paths. Ever thoughy about Stand-Up as a song talking about the fighting of an addiction? And if you have, what kind of addiction? Ever thought about You might die trying... how many different ways can you think of that might die trying... and what kind of death would it be... spiritual, mental, physical. Dont say lyrics arent deep just because you dont get them. MAybe something that sounds simple just sounds simple to you. To tell you the truth, I dont see where George Bush fits in with most of the songs at all... And the one that does seem to reference him, might be made to seem like an obvious reference when in fact it was about some other tyranical dictator or leader.... or something completely different. Dont bash a band's creativity because you dont get it. Just because something isnt as intricate or all over the place as they could be, doesnt mean they were lazy in their choices. Like I said, you see what they do with the songs live... MAYBE THEY WANTED SU TO SOUND LIKE THE ALBUM THAT IT IS ON PURPOSE, not on accident. MAybe it's not lazy or a half ass effort, maybe that's the sound they intended and were OK with because it fit the name of the album.
    wrong.
    Old 04-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #83
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northerntube View Post

I actually agree with all of this.

That said, Stand Up is horrible music.
    Old 04-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #84
    timgengler
    Oh, little dreamer

My Tour Central Stats

Mr. Lewis, I don't know who mistreated you but I wish they hadn't... they have made you a very negative and stubborn person that doesn't seem to get it. I have seen things you post in other forums and looked at some of the threads you post... I am hoping that you were trying to be sarcastically funny with your comment, but I dont think you were so... Do you not understand that just because you THINK SU is "horrible music" that doesnt mean you are right? I dont care how many people agree with you or take your side... because I'm not into the sheep mentality of believing something is one way, then using the opinions of others as a basis for why I am right. I am so tired of people saying 'well the majority of this forum or true DMB fans dont like SU' That isnt what I have seen and come into contact with, but even if it was, doesnt make them right either. I just wish you could realize that you think SU is horrible music, and that's where it ends. Your opinion is no more valid then anybody else's. Nor is mine, but I think I am leaning more in the right direction of realizing that just because I like Stand Up, which I didnt at first because I am not a big hip hop fan and that was my initial take on it, it doesnt mean it is great music either. But I do know it is good music... because even if I did want to believe that SU was a half ass effort that they lazily slapped together, even half of DMB's talent and musical prowess is still a whole lot more then a lot of other bands' full efforts. Half of greatness is still good. It might be lazy and not admirable, but it is still good. The lyrics are solid and often times poignant and thought provoking... the music might be somewhat simplified but it is catchy, soulfull and rockin when it needs to be, and the drum machine sound of it can be ignored if you just buy into the fact... FACT that Carter is the man and he is a human drum machine himself. Dave plays electric guitar sometimes, so carter was just playin' the drums with some effects over 'em. Some 10th grade band giving a half ass effort might make "horrible music" but professionals would not allow "horrible music" that they didnt stand behind, to be on their resumes.

And on a side note... why are you at a DMB site (where you have 35,000 posts) when you are questioning if you are even going to go to a show this year?? Because you want to know what songs they are gonna play?? Half the fun is the surprise of not knowing what is going to be played, and the stuff that is played, how is it gonna be different and fit that moment. Do you not just savor every moment that they perform... dont you just get lost in the moment, let your mind play with new lyrics to old songs you are hearing and catch yourself wondering where else in the entire world you'd rather be then right there in that little piece of time... That even if it isnt one of your favorite songs playing, you still enjoy it and are just moved by the moment... I would assume not since you would protest by sitting through a song (which is cool, some people like to sit all show- that's one thing) but making sure you look angry at a show... Why would you ever look angry at a DMB show unless some dipshit was talking loudly next to you about some random nonsense and making it hard for others around him or her to enjoy the moment?? And even then, just tell them to shut the fuck up and be considerate of others besides themselves, and then go right on back to groovin'. Something tells me you'd be the dude on the phone or talking loudly about how much you hate this song or they were better back in the day... Anyways, I just wonder about the true nature of a fan that questions going to a show when there are so many possibilites for amzing memories to be had. I guess I am just trying to understand for myself how someone that seems so into the band could be so negative about them and what was it... "the joke they became in 2005"??? Bad form... I hope they arent playing what you like because then you wont ruin the time of somebody else that is there for the magic of it all. If they are a joke, doesnt that make you pathetic for spending so much time talking about them? I dont spend all my time on a Brittany Spears site talking about how i know her music is sub-par and she could be doing such different things, when I know to others, they live for it and what it means to them. I'm not trying to be a dick... but fuck man... a joke?? lighten up and leave a fan site devoted to a band that people love to the fans.
    Old 04-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #85
    timgengler
    Oh, little dreamer

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB View Post
    Just a tip: He was probably being sarcastic when he said Sandler made "works of genious".

I disagree. I think that Dave sees the comedic/writer/producer genius that is Adam Sandler. He might not win any Oscars for best actor, but he can produce humor with the best of them. And AS is one of Dave's friends, I doubt he'd be sarcastic in terms of Adam's livelyhood and what he thinks he does best... that would be straight rude and mean to mock in that way. Like if Sandler said 'I went to a Dmb show to experience some of his genius', but was sarcastic about it.... I dont see that happening. People take their careers very seriously and DAve wouldn't mock one of the only things that Sandler has ever known, comedy.
    Old 04-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #86
    timgengler
    Oh, little dreamer

My Tour Central Stats

"and just because you think the lyrics are deep and meaningful doesn't mean that the majority of this forum will agree with you. Overall there is no debating that this is DMB's weakest album to date. If you do not agree with that view point I am very interested to see what you think is."

Again, maybe people were so put off by the beats and sounds that they didnt stop to think in depth about what the songs meant. I am not in people's minds nor do I care to be, but just because a majority of people dont look deeper and see what the songs could be about, doesnt mean the meaning isnt there. And besides, Dave says that all his songs are about Love, Sex and Death
    Old 04-14-2008, 11:18 PM   #87
    brobb

My Tour Central Stats

The topics from songs on Stand Up weren't bad, but the lyrics were HORRIBLE. How do you consider any of this solid?

"I would dig a hole all the way to China
    unless of course I was there
    Then I'd dig my way home"

"I would do most anything, girl
    to be the apple of your eye"

And the chorus to Stand Up is "stand up"

Sometimes I walk there
    Old 04-15-2008, 05:25 AM   #88
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Mr. Lewis, I don't know who mistreated you but I wish they hadn't... they have made you a very negative and stubborn person that doesn't seem to get it. I have seen things you post in other forums and looked at some of the threads you post... I am hoping that you were trying to be sarcastically funny with your comment, but I dont think you were so... Do you not understand that just because you THINK SU is "horrible music" that doesnt mean you are right? I dont care how many people agree with you or take your side... because I'm not into the sheep mentality of believing something is one way, then using the opinions of others as a basis for why I am right. I am so tired of people saying 'well the majority of this forum or true DMB fans dont like SU' That isnt what I have seen and come into contact with, but even if it was, doesnt make them right either. I just wish you could realize that you think SU is horrible music, and that's where it ends. Your opinion is no more valid then anybody else's. Nor is mine, but I think I am leaning more in the right direction of realizing that just because I like Stand Up, which I didnt at first because I am not a big hip hop fan and that was my initial take on it, it doesnt mean it is great music either. But I do know it is good music... because even if I did want to believe that SU was a half ass effort that they lazily slapped together, even half of DMB's talent and musical prowess is still a whole lot more then a lot of other bands' full efforts. Half of greatness is still good. It might be lazy and not admirable, but it is still good. The lyrics are solid and often times poignant and thought provoking... the music might be somewhat simplified but it is catchy, soulfull and rockin when it needs to be, and the drum machine sound of it can be ignored if you just buy into the fact... FACT that Carter is the man and he is a human drum machine himself. Dave plays electric guitar sometimes, so carter was just playin' the drums with some effects over 'em. Some 10th grade band giving a half ass effort might make "horrible music" but professionals would not allow "horrible music" that they didnt stand behind, to be on their resumes.

And on a side note... why are you at a DMB site (where you have 35,000 posts) when you are questioning if you are even going to go to a show this year?? Because you want to know what songs they are gonna play?? Half the fun is the surprise of not knowing what is going to be played, and the stuff that is played, how is it gonna be different and fit that moment. Do you not just savor every moment that they perform... dont you just get lost in the moment, let your mind play with new lyrics to old songs you are hearing and catch yourself wondering where else in the entire world you'd rather be then right there in that little piece of time... That even if it isnt one of your favorite songs playing, you still enjoy it and are just moved by the moment... I would assume not since you would protest by sitting through a song (which is cool, some people like to sit all show- that's one thing) but making sure you look angry at a show... Why would you ever look angry at a DMB show unless some dipshit was talking loudly next to you about some random nonsense and making it hard for others around him or her to enjoy the moment?? And even then, just tell them to shut the fuck up and be considerate of others besides themselves, and then go right on back to groovin'. Something tells me you'd be the dude on the phone or talking loudly about how much you hate this song or they were better back in the day... Anyways, I just wonder about the true nature of a fan that questions going to a show when there are so many possibilites for amzing memories to be had. I guess I am just trying to understand for myself how someone that seems so into the band could be so negative about them and what was it... "the joke they became in 2005"??? Bad form... I hope they arent playing what you like because then you wont ruin the time of somebody else that is there for the magic of it all. If they are a joke, doesnt that make you pathetic for spending so much time talking about them? I dont spend all my time on a Brittany Spears site talking about how i know her music is sub-par and she could be doing such different things, when I know to others, they live for it and what it means to them. I'm not trying to be a dick... but fuck man... a joke?? lighten up and leave a fan site devoted to a band that people love to the fans.
    We disagree. Stand Up sucks. DMB has been lazy.
    Old 04-15-2008, 05:46 AM   #89
    grdfreak

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I thought the only song worthy of a "dmb" status on stand up was you might die trying. I didnt think stand up sucked, but it wasn't what we expect out of the talent we see on stage.
    Old 04-15-2008, 06:44 AM   #90
    kjam1988

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

All you have to do is watch the Dreamgirl video to tell what state of mind the band was in at the time. Weird. Corny. "You want any eggs?"