Inspirational Weight Loss Stories - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
warhawkDMB30
#Bucksin6 #Brewersin6

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Inspirational Weight Loss Stories

Hey everyone,

For me, it has been a long 4 year journey of weight loss, and I finally hit my goal. I wanted to share my story for those that are also considering losing weight, so hopefully this (and other stories) will motivate and inspire those looking to lose a few pounds.

Back in early 2006, I had hit my breaking point. I was extremely overweight sitting at 345 pounds, didn't play as many sports (especially volleyball, basketball, softball, golf), and was extremely depressed (this can also connect to DMB, as Bartender always helped me through my bad times). I was dating a girl at the time of 5 years, who was like me, not active, ate fast food all the time, etc, so I was set in my ways. One day at work, I went up a flight of stairs, and felt like I was going to die. It was that point where I decided to start my transformation.

The first 6 months was the hardest. I ate nothing but chicken breasts, veggies, and no fast food (to this day, I haven't had McDonalds in 2 years, and I only ate it because I was forced to on a road trip). It was the TOUGHEST transformation for me. I joined a local YMCA by my apartment at the time, and met a personal trainer and a nutritionist, who taught me the ropes and got me started. I slowly exercised 3 times a week, then 4 times a week, then 5 times a week, then I got to two-a-days and began exercising with other people. Things were going well.

After the 6 months, I broke up with my unsupportive girl at the time, ditched the cigs, ate healthy, and changed my lifestyle. I kept up the regimen of the low carb diet, eating lots of protein, veggies, chicken, and anything that was healthy. Instead of going out to lunch, I would bring a lunch (still do to this day). I saved so much money doing this, it was insane.

I kept up the low carb diet for about a year or so, then went on to eating normal food. I was eating 4 or 5 times a day, and still do to this day. I was burning calories all the time, constantly working out, watching what I ate, didn't fall into temptation. If I went out drinking, I had Bacardi Diets and didn't have nearly as much as I used to. It was a tough style of life, but I had all the support of family and friends to get me through it.

As I stand today, I am currently at 190 pounds (down from 345). I have gone froma size 46" waist to a size 34/36" waist. I have reduced my chloresterol from a count of 280+ to just under 200. I have reduced my blood pressure to a normal 120/80. I got rid of my risk of diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and all of the other bad outcomes of being overweight. I am a whole new person, and I am the person I was before I went spiraling out of control. I could not be happier in my life. I am a heavy participant in duathalons, triathalons, half marathons, volleyball, basketball, softball, and yes, as weird as it sounds, I can play guitar better (skinnier fingers).

For those that are thinking about jumping into their own journey, take it from me. Dont fall into temptation as much as it pains you. Rely on self-will and self-motivation versus turning to weight loss pills. Make the best of every single day, and you will see the light at the end of the tunnel. Use the support of friends, family, and others to motivate you.

I have attached a before and after picture for y'all to take a look at. EDIT: Sorry, the first attachment is AFTER, the second one is BEFORE.

Hopefully this has inspired some, and if so, good luck to you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks for reading, I just was so excited to finally hit the goal, I had to share it with others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3603.jpg (69.3 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg n69200107_31425499_8353.jpg (54.2 KB, 133 views)
warhawkDMB30 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Inspirational Weight Loss Stories

Nicely done, sir.
    Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Incredible! Congratulations.
    Old 09-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
    thom hudson
    Cold Noses

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Dude, that's awesome.

Good for you.
    Old 09-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Congratulations. Did it the correct way and got awesome results. Very nice.
    kittensXLI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
    mburn4jh
    Dirty Rascal

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I bet this has helped with gettin sum, way to go man
    Old 09-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
    CGTP13

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Congratulations man
    CGTP13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
    Haiku Jimi

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Cheers dude! Good job.

Also, be careful with posting pics with their facebook picture numbers included - we have some creepers here

(jk; just a cross thread reference.)
    Old 09-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #9
    warhawkDMB30
    #Bucksin6 #Brewersin6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haiku Jimi View Post
    Cheers dude! Good job.

Also, be careful with posting pics with their facebook picture numbers included - we have some creepers here

(jk; just a cross thread reference.)
    hahahaha thats ok, it was from my ex's old profile pictures a few years back.
    Old 09-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
    Bartndrpleez
    Generalissimo!

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

awesome story bro. i'm at about the 6 month point myself. although i didn't have as high a starting point as yourself. i've been struggling with my weight since i was about 12. i would always get into stretches where i'd go the gym incessantly for about 2-3 months and then just fall off and get back to zero.

but i think i've finally hit that point where it's become more of a lifestyle change than a diet, which i think is extremely important. i don't really eat meat too much anymore. the amount of vegetarian alternatives that exist today is just amazing. companies like gardien and morning star make amazing stuff that makes you not miss meat at all.

that, coupled with going to the gym about 3-4 times a week and putting in a solid 2 - 2 1/2 hours of cardio and lifting has brought me under 240 while i was almost 270 just a few short months ago. i know it's going to still be awhile before i hit my goal of around 200 but i already have a lot more confidence and my health has improved greatly since i started. bloodwork/blood pressure/cholesterol are all at normal levels and i just feel better. again, awesome job dude, and i hope to be where you're at very soon!

seriously, check it out. you won't be disappointed.
    Bartndrpleez is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
    warhawkDMB30
    #Bucksin6 #Brewersin6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bartndrpleez View Post
    awesome story bro. i'm at about the 6 month point myself. although i didn't have as high a starting point as yourself. i've been struggling with my weight since i was about 12. i would always get into stretches where i'd go the gym incessantly for about 2-3 months and then just fall off and get back to zero.

but i think i've finally hit that point where it's become more of a lifestyle change than a diet, which i think is extremely important. i don't really eat meat too much anymore. the amount of vegetarian alternatives that exist today is just amazing. companies like gardien and morning star make amazing stuff that makes you not miss meat at all.

that, coupled with going to the gym about 3-4 times a week and putting in a solid 2 - 2 1/2 hours of cardio and lifting has brought me under 240 while i was almost 270 just a few short months ago. i know it's going to still be awhile before i hit my goal of around 200 but i already have a lot more confidence and my health has improved greatly since i started. bloodwork/blood pressure/cholesterol are all at normal levels and i just feel better. again, awesome job dude, and i hope to be where you're at very soon!
    Great work man!!!! Keep it up, now that you have gotten to that 6 month point, it just gets easier from here on out. Just keep up with it, and keep on pushing yourself, and you will get there!

Morning Star and Boca Burgers are amazing, I turn to those all the time when I dont feel like munching down some burgers or something. The biggest thing that worked for me too is making sure to eat breakfast. As much as it pained me to wake up earlier than normal, I felt so much better throughout the day if I ate breakfast. Plus, my body would start to generate energy immediately, rather than just run off coffee.

Good luck to you sir, and let me know how it is going!
    Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Wow, you look great. And this is very inspirational as I've been trying to lost weight my self.

After I graduated in May, I was 260, and now 243, but would like to get to my healthy weight of 190. Any tips would be fantastic, you're a real pro!
    Old 09-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #13
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Looking good bro. Losing weight is probably one of the hardest things to be dedicated to.

I've lost about 40lbs. this year myself. Looked in the mirror one night and noticed my gut hanging over my waist, and I knew I had to change. Weighed 185 (for a 5'5 guy that's pretty big) in April, and totally dedicated myself to losing the weight and getting in shape. Joined a gym, got rid of my deep fryer, and all the other crappy fatty foods I had in my cabinets.

6 months later I'm down to 148, and still going strong.

Keep it up.
    Old 09-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #14
    warhawkDMB30
    #Bucksin6 #Brewersin6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC View Post
    Wow, you look great. And this is very inspirational as I've been trying to lost weight my self.

After I graduated in May, I was 260, and now 243, but would like to get to my healthy weight of 190. Any tips would be fantastic, you're a real pro!
    Good to hear man. Basically the best thing to do is just watch what you eat, and try and hit the gym every day. Consuming more food while you work out is always key, but just make sure its the right foods. i.e. dont put down a bag of chips before/after running. This will get your metabolism up and running.

I also drank a lot of 100% whey protein shakes. Kept my appetite in check at points.

Biggest thing I noticed, keep some of the good things in your life. For example, I still eat cookies and sweets, I have to, otherwise I would go insane. I just don't eat 100 m&ms at a time anymore.

Finally, when it hurts the most while working out, thats when you leg out that extra bit. Let your body slowly adjust to the working out. It used to take me 12 minutes to run a mile, now it takes me 7:30 or so, and I run 7 or 8 miles a day. So getting your body to that point just takes patience and pushing yourself.
    Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #15
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crush086 View Post
    Looking good bro. Losing weight is probably one of the hardest things to be dedicated to.

I've lost about 40lbs. this year myself. Looked in the mirror one night and noticed my gut hanging over my waist, and I knew I had to change. Weighed 185 (for a 5'5 guy that's pretty big) in April, and totally dedicated myself to losing the weight and getting in shape. Joined a gym, got rid of my deep fryer, and all the other crappy fatty foods I had in my cabinets.

6 months later I'm down to 148, and still going strong.

Keep it up.
    I think the last time I weighed that much was around 14 years old.
    Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #16
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

awesome job , dude. You look like a different person! That's some dedication right there.
    maxpower00044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #17
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

My Tour Central Stats

OP, maybe you can help Chris Brush with his life problems, they seem to be plentiful.
    Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #18
    Watchtower62
    Butch <3's D's

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

thats such a great story...

My story is that I am trying hard to lose my "football" weight that has been on me since my playing days of college have been over. I currently weigh 260 pounds but have always wanted to be a smaller, more fit person that is around the 185 mark.

I just need help with how I should "watch what I eat"....its very hard for me but having that inspiration and help would be greatly appreciated. another thing would be, what do you suggest to drink if I am out with some of my friends?....im still new to this weight loss thing and need the help...thanks

LoVe this thread because I know that I am not the only one. We are all ONE

Last edited by Watchtower62; 09-23-2010 at 09:38 AM.
    Watchtower62 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #19
    water_into_wine

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Damn. Awesome story. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
    water_into_wine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #20
    Pig17

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Good job man, I know exactly how that feels.

Senior Year of HS I maxed out at 310 pounds and felt like a complete loser. I was sick of everyone looking at me as "the fat guy" and vowed to change. 5 years later I'm down to 167 and feel great.

http://www.last.fm/user/Pig17
    Pig17 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #21
    dmbgodagirl41
    Go. Tommy. Go.

Shows Seen: 107

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Holy hell, awesome! You look great!!
    Calm down, 12.
    dmbgodagirl41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #22
    warhawkDMB30
    #Bucksin6 #Brewersin6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Watchtower62 View Post
    thats such a great story...

I just need help with how I should "watch what I eat"....its very hard for me but having that inspiration and help would be greatly appreciated. another thing would be, what do you suggest to drink if I am out with some of my friends?....im still new to this weight loss thing and need the help...thanks

LoVe this thread because I know that I am not the only one. We are all ONE
    What I did when I was out drinking was drink Bacardi Diets. And thats it. It has the least amount of calorie/carb intake, yet still you get a sweet buzz off of it. Plus, the next morning, I never had a headache. It didn't even make me hungry at the end of the night, and if I was hungry, I'd eat cereal or something, instead of pizza.

Believe me, I got ripped on a lot for it back then but now my friends and I look back and laugh.

Of course, I always had the occasional beer or two, but I wouldn't sit down and pound a case of beer in one sitting like i used to. I just did things in moderation. As long as I kept on working out, it was easier and easier for me to accept having one or two beers every once in a while.

Good luck on your journey!
    Old 09-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #23
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Hi all! I earned my undergraduate degree in culinary arts from the Culinary Institute of America's distance learning program. It was kind of weird because I spent the whole time watching my professors prepare food over the web, so in the end, I could've saved thirty grand and just watched Emeril or the Naked Chef for four years instead. Somehow, because I sat in my La-Z-Boy for six hours a day watching these people make fondues and bechamel sauces and stuff, I started snacking a little here and there and gained 350 pounds in the process.

I spent the last seven years in a variety of roles for Weight Watchers, mostly in their R&D division. I was supposed to be Weight Watcher's version of that guy Jared (on the Subway commercials) and lose a ton of weight, but things kind of backfired. Our genius food scientists came up with the hypothesis that the relationship between caloric intake and weight was parabolic, and that if you force-feed yourself enough crap you can ultimately lose weight. But after 10 pounds of lasagna, corned beef hash, and chicken & dumplings a day for three years, I somehow still gained another 200 pounds. So obviously, I lost my job with Weight Watchers but now I'm doing part-time photo shoots for Half-Ton Hotties magazine.

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #24
    enigma1434
    Hail

Shows Seen: 103

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Congrats, OP. You look great!
    Old 09-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #25
    thom hudson
    Cold Noses

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

fyi - i just ate white castle

edit: and i feel disgusting

Last edited by thom hudson; 09-23-2010 at 10:52 AM.
    thom hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #26
    haybale97
    king of men

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

i have nothing but respect for you OP, you saw what was wrong with your life and took a very proactive way of handling the situation the RIGHT way. no short cuts for you my friend

well done!

Out With Gout
    haybale97 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #27
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

July 5th 2012 I realized I was a fat piece of shit who was going to die hungry for something MSG loaded and salty

Happy to finally say November 19th I made it back down to my target weight. It was tought at times, but once I got at it, it was actually fun to see results day in and day out.

Heres to the Holidays and healthy eating
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg target.jpg (81.6 KB, 42 views)
    File Type: jpg fatload.jpg (47.9 KB, 41 views)
    Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #28
    dreamingtreeIU

My Tour Central Stats

Congratulations to everyone who has either reached their target weight or is on their way. I have bounced around in the last year or so and it is frustrating. My highest weight was around 305 I believe when I was 18. I am at 280-285 now and have a goal of being under 200 lbs (6'2). I know I can do it, it just takes constant effort. I got down to 260 early this year.

For those who are either at their goal or on the way, a couple quick questions:

What type of foods did you find at the grocery that are good for breakfast or lunch? I am running tired of the typical turkey and ham sandwiches for lunch and granola bars for breakfast.

Are there any foods you found at fast food locations that are ok in moderation?

From what I have found, losing weight is about 80% what you put in and 20% exercise.
    Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #29
    water_into_wine

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I went from just under 210 to 155 in a little over a year.
    water_into_wine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #30
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamingtreeIU View Post

For those who are either at their goal or on the way, a couple quick questions:
    Quote:
    What type of foods did you find at the grocery that are good for breakfast or lunch? I am running tired of the typical turkey and ham sandwiches for lunch and granola bars for breakfast.
    Egg beaters, turkey bacon and wheat toast. The individual egg beater cups are like 60 calories, turkey bacon is about 25 per piece and the 100% whole wheat toast I get is 50 calories per slice. So you can get a really filling breakfast out of that and be under 250 calories.
    Another thing I do is french toast, using egg beaters, wheat bread, skim milk, and sugar free syrup. Another tasty and filling breakfast at under 350 calories.
    Fat free yogurt is great for breakfast if you're in a hurry. Special K also makes some good tasting cereals with decent ingredients that you can eat with skim milk (or soy).

Quote:
    Are there any foods you found at fast food locations that are ok in moderation?
    If you HAVE to eat fast food, just watch your portions. Have one small sandwich, no fries and drink water (stay far far away from sugary soda). It's really not worth it though, and the more you eat healthy, the shittier you will feel when you splurge on fast food. I can barely even keep it down at this point.

Quote:
    From what I have found, losing weight is about 80% what you put in and 20% exercise.
    Eh. I think exercise more important than that. You gotta burn calories, even good calories. Everyone is different though, so you just gotta find the balance that works for you.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 11-19-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote