Grown Up Type Stuff - Page 11 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 05-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #301
rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Grown Up Type Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
leaning now towards sucking it up and staying. this place is the only place I've ever even put pictures on the wall

and yes, moving does indeed suck
If you like the place and think you'll stay awhile, you can try to sign a multi-year lease. I kind of lucked out because I signed mine after the people upstairs weren't paying and were evicted, so they wanted at least one steady renter. I was able to negotiate no increase for 2015, a 10% increase in 2016 and a smaller increase in 2017. I'd formerly been living there for 5 years with no increase under the previous owners. I wish that guy was still around. As long as he got his rent money, he didn't give one fuck about anything else and he was so bad at business, never raised rent.
rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #302
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    If you like the place and think you'll stay awhile, you can try to sign a multi-year lease. I kind of lucked out because I signed mine after the people upstairs weren't paying and were evicted, so they wanted at least one steady renter. I was able to negotiate no increase for 2015, a 10% increase in 2016 and a smaller increase in 2017. I'd formerly been living there for 5 years with no increase under the previous owners. I wish that guy was still around. As long as he got his rent money, he didn't give one fuck about anything else and he was so bad at business, never raised rent.
    that would be ideal. problem with the bigger companies is that everything is just automated and benchmarked to market, so like I said the differences end up actually being minimal one place to another. they want people do think the way I'm thinking

I don't think it'd be a good idea to lock in like that, since I'm only really dead set committed to living here till the fall

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2016, 06:04 PM   #303
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I would just stay put. I had to do math like this too and well, the convenience factors, in your case not having to move, are too good to not give up
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #304
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    that would be ideal. problem with the bigger companies is that everything is just automated and benchmarked to market, so like I said the differences end up actually being minimal one place to another. they want people do think the way I'm thinking

I don't think it'd be a good idea to lock in like that, since I'm only really dead set committed to living here till the fall
    I see. Yeah, I'm kind of fortunate because I live in a building owned by a guy, basically. I'm sure he'd love for me to be on some sort of auto-increase. It's not like he gives a fuck if I live here, he just wants maximum money.
    Old 05-11-2016, 10:15 PM   #305
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

i'll be moving at the end of the month after a year and a half in my current place. moving does suck, no matter how far you're going, but this will be worth it. it'll be with some friends from work and my rent will end up going down by like $150 a month. only problem is the lease on the house ends in 9 months, so i may be moving again soon. ugh.
    Old 06-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #306
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I adulted the fuck out of my dryer over the past two days. It stopped tumbling but I could hear the motor, and the heat was working just fine. Figured it was a belt, opened it up, sure as shit it was lying there busted. Bought a new one, put it on, closed her up... tumbling just fine again.

Fuck you dryer. Fixed that shit for $8.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #307
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    I adulted the fuck out of my dryer over the past two days. It stopped tumbling but I could hear the motor, and the heat was working just fine. Figured it was a belt, opened it up, sure as shit it was lying there busted. Bought a new one, put it on, closed her up... tumbling just fine again.

good shit, scrock.

my latest adult dilemma involves deciding what type of auto insurance i need. currently have my car suspended through my insurance, but my new apartment has a parking spot with it, so I may bring my car here.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 06-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #308
    cpxc.

Shows Seen: 119

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

you are such a manly man SCROCK
    Old 06-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #309
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Had to do this same thing seven years ago. Watched a youtube video and fixed it right up. Although I think the belt cost me $15.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #310
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You're sofa king sexy.

Did the same thing a couple of months back, the timer went bad....did a bit of research online, bought a replacement part and installed it myself in a few minutes. $60 compared to a $200 technician bill.
    Beefsteak1138 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-24-2017, 03:40 AM   #311
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Grown Up Type Stuff

Anyone have any insight into furniture shopping? Have you been happy with your couches, tables, etc? Need to buy a new sectional, first time ever (have been lucky to never need couches or anything as roommates have always supplied them), not sure if I should focus on quality with it as an investment to have for many years to come or go the route of having something that may get beat up a tad, especially since I may move a few times with it
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 06-24-2017, 04:05 AM   #312
    Brohan_Santana

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    Anyone have any insight into furniture shopping? Have you been happy with your couches, tables, etc? Need to buy a new sectional, first time ever (have been lucky to never need couches or anything as roommates have always supplied them), not sure if I should focus on quality with it as an investment to have for many years to come or go the route of having something that may get beat up a tad, especially since I may move a few times with it
    I have some great advice as I was in your situation 2 years ago and made decisions a couple months ago, but I don't give Penns fans any advice
    Brohan_Santana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-24-2017, 04:34 AM   #313
    Brohan_Santana

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In all seriousness it depends on your situation. About 2-3 years ago I was moving into a place with my girl and needed furniture to essentially furnish the entire house. I ended up going to the cheap route but still bought everything new. From Value City I got a 3 piece set all in for around $1000. I was hoping this set would last me for a good bit, just long enough until I was at the point were it made more fiscal sense to upgrade to a nicer $2-$3k+ set that would last me for a long long time.

I ended up moving recently and was able to sell the 3 piece set for $500 after 3+ years of use. I was happy overall with the purchase, the use and the salvage value. Plus I was able to not have to move the furniture again. Win win win.

I recommend shopping around a lot. You can find good deals. Also furniture salesman are willing to negotiate. And if you're really trying to get out cheap but still get a decent product ask for items that were damaged in transit
    Brohan_Santana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-24-2017, 04:44 AM   #314
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah you're definitely gonna want to negotiate. We just bought a dining room set and got nicer chairs than the standard ones, and got the shipping and protection plans waived, all because we were willing to walk away if they said no.

Also, furniture salespeople can be aggressive/annoying as fuck. They take turns standing at the front to greet people and then will kind of slyly follow you around the store so that they're "conveniently" there to help you with any questions. Probably the worst part of the shopping experience, and you're essentially forced to do it because you're not gonna make a big purchase online or without seeing it in person first.
    Old 06-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #315
    Jake

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    just ordered from Overstock a few weeks ago - they forgot a section of the sofa.

it came a week later, but that's enough for me to put them on my do not use list - also sent the wrong color, but believe it or not I'm ok with that. it's the not shipping everything that bugged me.

as for what to buy - if you're going to move, go cheap.
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #316
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Trying to get apartment management people to do their job properly is like pulling teeth. All we want them to do is correctly coordinate with maintenance people and they have successfully screwed that up for 2 straight weeks.

Worst part is, when you follow up after a day or two, it's like starting the whole process over again because they act like it's the first time they've heard of the issue.

Ugh.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2017, 03:20 AM   #317
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Grown Up Type Stuff

Thanks for the insight guys. Jake, sorry to hear about your experience with overstock. I'm sure that was a mild headache. Steng, you and I share some qualities, but I totally forgot about the hard of negotiating. Good to know it can apply to furniture. Brohan, reiteration of same thanks to you. I also didn't think of selling a temporary setup to get cash back for a more permanent set for a more permanent residence down the road. Thanks !
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 06-25-2017, 04:10 AM   #318
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Wife and I got our sectional from Ikea and it's held up for 3+ years. They do free shipment too on large enough orders.

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
    JRS1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-26-2017, 05:35 AM   #319
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Beefy Jr. and Slider have been away for the past week. Its been nice to not Grown Up for bit, except for work.
    Beefsteak1138 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #320
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Took down an old chandelier and put a new one up. T'was simple, but never done it before.
    Old 07-27-2017, 10:04 AM   #321
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTCS_JTR View Post
    Took down an old chandelier and put a new one up. T'was simple, but never done it before.
    Right on, bro.

As a first time homeowner of a little over three months, I've found myself learning how to do more and more things out of sheer necessity. I actually am quite proud of the stuff I've been able to do around the house all on my own, things I never really ever thought about or learned how to do but essentially figured out by the seat of my pants.
    Old 07-27-2017, 10:13 AM   #322
    bradshaw06

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Yup, since buying my house 1.5 years ago i've taken out and replaced just about every light fixture, replaced plumbing fixtures, and built a deck. I find it fun.
    Old 07-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #323
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bradshaw06 View Post
    Yup, since buying my house 1.5 years ago i've taken out and replaced just about every light fixture, replaced plumbing fixtures, and built a deck. I find it fun.
    I've done a bunch of mine recently... found that most were not grounded.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #324
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bradshaw06 View Post
    I'm going to be doing this next spring. Any advice/tips? What material did you go with?
    Old 07-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #325
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    I'm going to be doing this next spring. Any advice/tips? What material did you go with?
    Tip #1: Call a contractor

Serioulsy though... if you're going to tackle it yourself, I might not do it in the spring. I think you mentioned something before about water/flood problems around your house? You'll want to wait until the ground is solid so that your footings don't go moving around on you.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2017, 11:28 AM   #326
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    Tip #1: Call a contractor

Serioulsy though... if you're going to tackle it yourself, I might not do it in the spring. I think you mentioned something before about water/flood problems around your house? You'll want to wait until the ground is solid so that your footings don't go moving around on you.
    Good memory! Though the area where the deck will be hasn't had a flood problem (yet ), it was on the other side of the house.

I think it'll be a good project for me and my pops to tackle together. He's always down to help me out and likes doing that sort of work, and I could use the experience. It'll save money and it'll make me that much more proud when I'm finally out there enjoying a couple cold ones
    Old 07-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #327
    bradshaw06

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Dont do it in the middle of summer like i did lol. We did a wood deck, i like the look of better than the composit stuff they have now. Ours isnt huge and its almost on the ground, so we had to dig a lot. Higher decks that wouldnt have been an issue outside of the posts. Anchoring it to the house was a bit of a pain, as was making sure the posts were level and attaching to the frame (that part is pretty important). Make sure you check and double check where you are going to cut on boards if they wrap around a post (i messed up on 1 and wasted a board). May seem obvious but use pilot holes when attaching things and doing the boards.
    Old 07-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #328
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Good memory! Though the area where the deck will be hasn't had a flood problem (yet ), it was on the other side of the house.

I think it'll be a good project for me and my pops to tackle together. He's always down to help me out and likes doing that sort of work, and I could use the experience. It'll save money and it'll make me that much more proud when I'm finally out there enjoying a couple cold ones
    I did this with my dad on my last house... I'm glad I did it once, I did save money, and it was a source of pride like you mentioned.

That said, when I moved a couple years ago and needed a deck/patio again, I definitely called a contractor. It was kind of fun but I wasn't willing to do it twice

The biggest thing is however long your dad tells you it will take from start to finish - probably triple it.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #329
    bradshaw06

My Tour Central Stats

Hope this works: but a couple pics, one finished and one with the stain
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg IMG_3976.jpg (78.5 KB, 26 views)
    File Type: jpg IMG_3799.jpg (77.6 KB, 26 views)
    Old 07-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #330
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Nice!