If you were an Obama VOTER/SUPPORTER, has he lived up to your expectations? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Prompter

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: ssia
yes 32 56.14%
no 25 43.86%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
clemson357
the one who knocks

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

If you were an Obama VOTER/SUPPORTER, has he lived up to your expectations?

More than a year since he has been elected, nearly a year since he has been in office, has he lived up to your expectations?

Poll.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: If you were an Obama VOTER/SUPPORTER, has he lived up to your expectations?

no, he kinda sucks, imo.
    Old 11-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 View Post
    no, he kinda sucks, imo.
    yeah, this.

/thread.

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    Old 11-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
    Swizz2007

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Too much of his agenda is still a work in progress so it's hard for me to say. If in 1 year I find out we'll have a longer presence in Iraq, Guantanamo isn't closed, health care and energy reform don't pass, and there's been no job creation, then yeah, he sucks.

As of right now I can only go on what he's tackled and how he's tackled it. And with that I am not disappointed. We'll just have to see how all of this stuff pans out to fully judge.
    Old 11-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
    clemson357
    the one who knocks

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swizz2007 View Post
    As of right now I can only go on what he's tackled and how he's tackled it.
    Which is??

Blowing all his momentum on a stimulus that is a complete failure? Losing all his political capital before achieving any significant policy reforms? Failing to establish clear expectations of guidance on health insurance reform? Treading water on the most significant issue in American politics in a decade or two, when his party absolutely owns the Congress?

Please tell me, what is it that he has "tackled?"
    Old 11-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by clemson357 View Post
    Which is??

Blowing all his momentum on a stimulus that is a complete failure? Losing all his political capital before achieving any significant policy reforms? Failing to establish clear expectations of guidance on health insurance reform? Treading water on the most significant issue in American politics in a decade or two, when his party absolutely owns the Congress?

:lorraine:lorraine

Get a life brotha.

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    Old 11-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
    IllegalSmile

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

he's holding down the fort as of now. i'd Imagine he's got more than we know about as far as dealing with bullshit from the last 8years. bush literally made us go almost bankrupt. now that we have a president who doesn't rely as much on pure adviser opinion we can only hope things get better. how many of you that bitch about obama's first term voted for bush to serve a second term? you fuckers put us where we are stop pushin it off on other people because you voted in a retard. give obama a chance it's only been a year.
    Old 11-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
    ShotgunDMB

My Tour Central Stats

Bush > Kerry. Just saying. The Democratic Party platform hasn't changed too much in four years, either. Last time I checked.
    Old 11-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
    Swizz2007

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Which is??

Okay clemson, I will tell you what he has tackled. I've done this multiple fucking times, and if you actually pay attention to the news it shouldn't be that hard to figure out on your own. But I'll help you out, holmes

-Ending torture
    -Closing Gitmo
    -Lifting restrictions on stem cell research
    -Increasing presence in Afghanistan
    -Ending the Iraq War
    -Passing the stimulus bill
    -Making progress on energy independence
    -Health care reform

Most of those are pretty fucking big things, and like I said in my prior post, many of those things are works in progress. So a lot will depend if these things actually happen and are successful. But if they are, then I am absolutely NOT disappointed, and think he is off to a fantastic start.
    Old 11-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
    clemson357
    the one who knocks

My Tour Central Stats

-Ending torture

Lol. This deserves to be first? How many people has the US waterboarded?

-Closing Gitmo

Not accomplished yet. Try again. Watch the news.

There were no restrictions of stem cell research. Watch the news, idiot. What he did was politicize stem cell research by putting it on the federal doll.

Funny, preemptive war and nation building was cause for national outrage for the 6 years prior to 1/20/09.

-Ending the Iraq War

Not done yet. Watch the news.

What is the unemployment rate? Watch the news.

HAHAHAHA. Please name me some legislation. The international effort just fell flat on its face, and so has the democrats only (job-killing) idea.

-Health care reform

WHAT? Are you fucking serious? Watch the news, idiot. Are you really going to count this as something Obama has "accomplished?" This isn't even close to passing.
    Old 11-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

lol i love the name calling in these politico threads.

some of you need to grow up
    Old 11-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

This is going well.

I'm surprised that he's moving forward on a lot of initiatives that have serious financial consequences considering the economy is doing so poorly along with the stimulus. I saw someone on TV state
    that the stimulus was working because it helped their state budgets. :freak
    Old 11-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
    IllegalSmile

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB View Post
    Bush > Kerry. Just saying. The Democratic Party platform hasn't changed too much in four years, either. Last time I checked.
    eh, that's speculative. if Kerry would have won it could have gone either way. at least there would be a little more mental stability in the executive branch.
    Old 11-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #14
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    More than a year since he has been elected, nearly a year since he has been in office, has he lived up to your expectations?

Poll.
    This has been a question asked of my constantly by my conservative friends. It makes me chuckle. He's got three years to get done things he needs to get done, because obviously year four is an election year and potential lame duck if he loses reelection. As of right now, he's meeting my expectations. He's making movement on a lot of fronts and I'm fine with that. If all we end up with by Election Day 2012 is movement, then I'm probably going to vote for someone different.

So ask me again in mid-2012 and I'll give you a much better answer.
    Old 11-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
    IllegalSmile

My Tour Central Stats

what republican candidate is even close to capable of taking him out for next term? no one. maybe an independent, but that's one huge mother fucking maybe.
    Old 11-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
    ShotgunDMB

My Tour Central Stats

Is Clemson upset that Obama has failed in implementing a lot of the evil things he's trying to do?
    Old 11-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #17
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Is Clemson upset that Obama has failed in implementing a lot of the evil things he's trying to do?
    Oh it's so evil. It's a merging of the Democratic Party's conspiracy with the World Jewish Conspiracy.

You just wait for it.
    Old 11-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #18
    ShotgunDMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmich176 View Post
    Oh it's so evil. It's a merging of the Democratic Party's conspiracy with the World Jewish Conspiracy.

You just wait for it.
    Meh, we haven't had a "real" president since JFK. Since then they've all been controlled by the Jews, and the Bilderbergers...SeekUpChuck told me.
    Old 11-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #19
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Meh, we haven't had a "real" president since JFK. Since then they've all been controlled by the Jews, and the Bilderbergers...SeekUpChuck told me.
    I am a Jew. I know things. Believe me, wait for it. It's coming.
    Old 11-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #20
    timg1414

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I dont think he has lived up to my expectations but I also did not envision the economy tanking as bad as it did. I think he has lost a ton of political capital with the healthcare issue. I think this should have been a second term bill or at least a late first term type of bill. He is going to force through a bill that a lot of people dont like and its extremely expensive. He has wasted a lot of time on this issue and lost whatever minimal support he had across the aisle and from million Americans.
    Old 11-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #21
    Swizz2007

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    -Ending torture

Lol. This deserves to be first? How many people has the US waterboarded?
    I based this on a rough chronological order...

Quote:
    -Closing Gitmo

Not accomplished yet. Try again. Watch the news.
    Ummmmmmmmmmmm read my post again, I CLEARLY said that some of these are works in progress. The fact is, he still signed an executive order to close Gitmo. Period.

Quote:

There were no restrictions of stem cell research. Watch the news, idiot. What he did was politicize stem cell research by putting it on the federal doll.
    Bush had made it impossible for tax dollars to be used on stem cell research and Barack Obama reversed that; thus, a restriction on stem cell research was lifted. WATCH THE NEWS.....won't call you an idiot, because it's against the rules!

Quote:

Funny, preemptive war and nation building was cause for national outrage for the 6 years prior to 1/20/09.
    The fuck does that have to do with anything? He campaigned on focusing on this war, and he's done it. Another campaign promise kept.

Quote:
    -Ending the Iraq War

Not done yet. Watch the news.
    Once again, I CLEARLY STATED that some of these were works in progress. He set in motion a plan to be out of Iraq by August 2010 (I believe). So yes, I do watch the news, I know this is a work in progress, and yet he has still done what he can on the issue. It isn't realistic for him to have immediately pulled out and you know it.

Quote:

What is the unemployment rate? Watch the news.
    It's 10.2%, the highest since conservative god Ronald Reagan let it reach 10.8% in the 1980s. What's your point? He still passed the stimulus.

Quote:

HAHAHAHA. Please name me some legislation. The international effort just fell flat on its face, and so has the democrats only (job-killing) idea.
    Oh, you mean like the $54 billion in funds toward energy in the stimulus?

Actually, shit, let me just post what Wikipedia has to say, just so you get all the facts:

On January 27, 2009, Obama issued two presidential memoranda concerning energy independence. One directed the Department of Transportation to raise fuel efficiency standards incrementally to 35 miles per US gallon (15 km/L) by 2020, and the other directed the Environmental Protection Agency to allow individual states to set stricter tailpipe emissions regulations than the federal standard.[41][161]
    The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 provides $54 billion in funds to double domestic renewable energy production, renovate federal buildings making them more energy-efficient, improve the nation's electricity grid, repair public housing, and weatherize modest-income homes.[162]
    On February 10, 2009, Obama overturned a Bush administration policy that had opened up a five-year period of offshore drilling for oil and gas near both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar has been quoted as saying, "To establish an orderly process that allows us to make wise decisions based on sound information, we need to set aside" the plan "and create our own timeline".[163]
    On May 19, 2009, Obama announced a plan to increase the CAFE national standards for gasoline mileage, by creating a single new national standard that will create a car and light truck fleet in the United States that is almost 40 percent cleaner and more fuel-efficient by 2016 than it is today, with an average of 35.5 miles per gallon.[164] Environmental advocates and industry officials welcomed the new program, but for different reasons. Environmentalists called it a long-overdue tightening of emissions and fuel economy standards after decades of government delay and industry opposition. Auto industry officials said it would provide the single national efficiency standard they have long desired, a reasonable timetable to meet it and the certainty they need to proceed with product development plans.[164]

Quote:
    -Health care reform

WHAT? Are you fucking serious? Watch the news, idiot. Are you really going to count this as something Obama has "accomplished?" This isn't even close to passing.
    It's not close to passing? That sort of implies that it hasn't passed the House, isn't being brought to the floor of the Senate, and isn't guaranteed to be passed by the President. Even if you argue that the Senate won't pass it, it's only a vote or two away. So to argue it "isn't even close to passing" is fucking moronic.

So yeah. I wasn't just talking out of my ass there. I clearly stated these are works in progress, but they are issues he has tackled.
    Old 11-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #22
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swizz2007 View Post
    Okay clemson, I will tell you what he has tackled. I've done this multiple fucking times, and if you actually pay attention to the news it shouldn't be that hard to figure out on your own. But I'll help you out, holmes

-Ending torture
    -Closing Gitmo
    -Ending the Iraq War
    -Health care reform

Most of those are pretty fucking big things, and like I said in my prior post, many of those things are works in progress. So a lot will depend if these things actually happen and are successful. But if they are, then I am absolutely NOT disappointed, and think he is off to a fantastic start.
    I know you're just listing stuff he promised and has followed through on, but I feel compelled to go through this list and complain, so pardon me a moment.

-Ending torture: this will never actually happen; we will always be torturous barbarians, no matter how many dumb orders he signs, sorry. :shrug
    -Closing Gitmo: I was doubtful, but it looks as though this may actually happen. +1 to Obama. :o
    -Lifting restrictions on stem cell research: A Very Good Thing
    -Increasing presence in Afghanistan: goddammit Obama you dumb motherfucker
    -Ending the Iraq War: this is pretty much cancelled out by the above point
    -Passing the stimulus bill: he passed it, it did some good, but was an ineffective clusterfuck overall.
    -Making progress on energy independence: Another Good Thing
    -Health care reform: I believe I've gone over how hard I pray to the existentialist void for this to fail spectacularly more than enough times in multiple threads in this forum, so I'm just gonna leave it alone.
    Old 11-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #23
    space-man
    Rick

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

True, Obama has "tackled" all that stuff that Swizz is talking about, but nearly nothing has changed. Gitmo is still open. Still no universal health care. The stimulus did not stimulate. We are no closer to energy independence now than we were a year ago. Now, he has set a date for the end of the War in Iraq and he has lifted a restriction on stem cell research. I'm actually impressed. He accomplished more this year than Congress.
    Old 11-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #24
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by space-man View Post
    True, Obama has "tackled" all that stuff that Swizz is talking about, but nearly nothing has changed. Gitmo is still open. Still no universal health care. The stimulus did not stimulate. We are no closer to energy independence now than we were a year ago. Now, he has set a date for the end of the War in Iraq and he has lifted a restriction on stem cell research. I'm actually impressed. He accomplished more this year than Congress.
    I've accomplished more this year than Congress.
    Old 11-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #25
    vikes989

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    sig'd
    Old 11-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #26
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

[quote=clemson357;10381779]Which is??

Please tell me, what is it that he has "tackled?"[/quote]

He did win a Nobel Peace Prize, so he tackled that:lol

But yea he hasn't really done anything constructive execpt hit up talk shows and win awards for doing nothing.
    Old 11-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #27
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by timg1414 View Post
    I dont think he has lived up to my expectations but I also did not envision the economy tanking as bad as it did. I think he has lost a ton of political capital with the healthcare issue. I think this should have been a second term bill or at least a late first term type of bill. He is going to force through a bill that a lot of people dont like and its extremely expensive. He has wasted a lot of time on this issue and lost whatever minimal support he had across the aisle and from million Americans.
    I like this post.
    Old 11-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #28
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Fantastic. :lol
    Old 11-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #29
    ShotgunDMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by space-man View Post
    With the exception of the crappy stimulus package and the every popular catch phrase "energy independence", I'm pretty satisfied that he did not accomplish those other awful things.
    Old 11-27-2009, 06:45 AM   #30
    liduponmyhead

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by timg1414 View Post
    This is the issue. Most of the criticism simply amounts to slamming the Pres. who happens to be in office during a time of a bad economy. It's the worse possible situation for any President. Everyone hates the Pres. during a bad economy. Reagan inherited a bad economy and everyone hated him his first couple years. His approval ratings were about where Obama's are, or lower.

I think the stimulus was needed. I don't like that it puts us more in debt, but I agree that was the way to go. I am in full support of paying off the debt, and yes, he'll have to raise taxes. Definitely get rid of the Bush tax cuts which are abig reason we are in this mess to begin with. I would have tweaked the stimulus a little differently, like put more money into infrastructure, and not given any tax breaks. (I don't think that giving me an extra 15 bucks a paycheck, will do anything to help me) I want employment to go back up, and I think it will soon, but Obama and every economist has said over and over again, that employment is always the last thing to improve. I think the economy is a terrible thing right now, but I just wonder how any President would have handled it, and whether anyone would be happier with it.

I disagree that Obama should have waited to pass healthcare reform. If he is losing political capital, it's because it's taking too long. But, that isn't his fault. Blame Congress for that. If he would have put it off until later, he would have lost twice as much support than he's supposedly losing now. He was elected on healthcare reform. If people didn't want it, they wouldn't have voted for him. It makes no sense to say that he losing support on it. He has the same amount of support he's always had. Why should Obama put off his primary agenda, simply because we perceive that some moderate voters who voted for him are now changing their mind about whether they want health care reform? Polls go up and down depending on a lot of factors. Obama is about health care reform. If people didn't know that, then they were ill informed. The economy is distracting people, but he would never be able to pass healthcare reform if he waited until later. I wouldn't support Obama nearly as much if he would have wimped out and put it off. And from a political, strategic point of view, it makes no sense for him to put it off.