Lying in the Hands of God... - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #31
cworty06
I'm Clay

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Lying in the Hands of God...

lyrical bliss
Get off your ass and feel some shit." --DJM

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #32
    sean52692

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

dang this is very good live too, what a peformence Hartford N2, just awesome.
    Old 06-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #33
    smartyarty420

Shows Seen: 19

My Tour Central Stats

i haven't listened to the tape from hartford the other night but i'm gonna be downloading it when i get home from work specifically for this song. (this show looks really good btw) this song is absolute perfection for me and figured it would translate well to a live performance so i can't wait to give it a listen.
    Old 06-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #34
    Jud78

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Song is amazing...Best on album. I also think one with the most potential to expand live....6-6-09 version in Hartford clocked in at nearly 8 minutes...nice little jam at the end.....
    Old 06-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #35
    Right Side Up

Shows Seen: 156

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

I thought this was interesting, from dmband.com:

Produced by Rob Cavallo (Green Day, My Chemical Romance), Big Whiskey has been hailed by Rolling Stone as the group’s “heaviest album yet, both musically and emotionally,” which went on to note: “Throughout, Carter Beauford beats out elaborate, propulsive groves; bassist Stefan Lessard lays down Flea-style funk bass lines; violinist Boyd Tinsley plays cresting, intense runs; and Matthews mirrors Moore’s saxophone lines with scatlike singing.” Billboard, in a cover story on Dave Matthews Band, praised Big Whiskey as “its best album yet….Highlights include the funk-rock rave-up Shake Me, the stirring ballad In the Hands of God, the swampy rocker Alligator Pie (Cockadile), radio-friendly fare like Why I Am, which features playful horns over a solid rock riff and a hooky chorus, and Funny the Way It Is, which parlays a subtle intro into a soaring, syncopated anthem.”

I wonder if that was the original title? Seems odd since we've known about this title the longest of all and it's always been Lying In...

Could just be a typo.
    Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #36
    WCJTR1279
    DMB_Fan_On Wheels

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
    dang this is very good live too, what a peformence Hartford N2, just awesome.

it was i was there is was Amazing to hear it live!!

2018: Camden and SPAC N2
    Old 06-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #37
    DMBBeav

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Not going to break it down, but on first listen I thought this song was about a relationship where one party believed(heavily) in a God and the other did not. The person who believed broke the relationship for this very reason despite the fact the two people were deeply in love and everything else was perfect.

If Lying is interpreted as 'lie'ing, the speaker is telling the person he could(or will) have lied to her about his belief in god to keep things perfect.

I am not in love with this interpretation and think ones with Roi in it are probably correct, but this is what hit my brain on first listen.
    Old 06-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #38
    TheLilacsRevolt
    Forever Missed

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Just some thoughts...

Baby I'll be your soldier
    Gladly I'll do your bidding
    For just a taste of what you're holding
    For just a taste you could own me

The song starts out with the above lyrics. Despite the fact that Dave uses the word ‘baby’, I interpret this verse as directly addressing God with a plea…
    ‘I would believe in you, if you could somehow prove to me you exist. Show me just a taste of Heaven.’ I’d go as far as to say ‘what you’re holding’ may even refer directly to LeRoi, or someone he cares about, that has passed on. ‘If they’re with you, show me, and in turn, I will believe in you’. I will be yours, ‘you could own me’.

Save your sermons for someone that’s afraid to love
    I'll be right here lying in the hands of God

I think it’s interesting that the above line excludes the part ‘if you know what I feel, then you couldn’t be so sure’. I think this in some ways reinforces the idea, particularly after the opening verse, that ‘seeing would truly be believing.’ ‘Save your sermons’ seems to be a pretty obvious reference to organized religion, and I feel that this lyric is saying, ‘your mortal words don’t prove to me that a God exists. The lyric ‘for someone that’s afraid to love’ referring to the fact that, he’s half way there, but, things…like the loss of someone he cares about perhaps, or the suffering and injustice the writer sees in the world around him, can’t allow him to believe based solely upon blind faith.

Here it comes dive right into me
    Now the floor is the ceiling
    If you never flew why would you?
    Cut the wings off a butterfly

I feel the above symbolizes the feeling, or experience, of death; ‘here it comes dive into me’ being death coming upon him. ‘Now the floor is the ceiling’ is describing the soul or spirit ascending from the body. ‘If you never flew why would you/cut the wings off a butterfly’ could represent the feeling of not knowing what comes next. ‘If you’ve never experienced death before, then how can you know what comes next’. I also feel that ‘cutting the wings off a butterfly’ may be a reference to the anger and frustration of having someone taken from you too soon, or before what you believe is ‘before their time’.

Save your sermons for someone that’s afraid to love
    If you knew what I feel then you couldn’t be so sure

‘If you knew what I feel, then you couldn’t be so sure’ seems to be a direct reference to Dave’s struggle with his beliefs. ‘If you knew how I felt, about whether a God actually exists or doesn’t exist, you wouldn’t assume that I believe I’ll be with God when I die.’

If you feel angels in your head
    Teardrops of joy run down your face
    You will rise

This is an interesting lyric in that it seems describe the joy of having reached heaven. Note the use of the word ‘you’ in this verse. I think it’s extremely hopeful in that, although the writer isn’t sure whether he can allow him self to believe, for a moment, he embraces the thought of someone he cares about, reaching heaven, or the afterlife, and the overwhelming joy they would feel. ‘You will rise’ being a direct reference to rebirth in the afterlife.

Fill me up now drain me
    Skin begins to grow back slowly
    Faster until I'm choking
    I really should call my mother

This verse goes on to describe rebirth; ‘fill me up/now drain me’ referring to having been filled with embalming fluid. ‘Skin begins to grow back slowly’, another reference to being reborn, and the mortal body being transformed to a celestial body. ‘Faster until I’m choking’ referring to life’s breath re-entering the body.

I feel the line, ‘I really should call my mother’, is so fitting; almost as though, after being reborn, the first thing the writer would think of would be to call his mother to let her know he’s o.k.

I am in love with nothing else
    Teardrops of joy run off my face
    I will rise for someone that's afraid to love
    If you knew what I feel then you couldn’t be so sure

Similar to the verse before it, but interesting that now it’s written in the first person. ‘I am in love with nothing else’ referring to the love of God, and ‘teardrops of joy run off my face’ referring to the joy the writer would feel undoubtedly feel having reached heaven. But, however hopeful the first few lines seem, the writer reinforces his struggle in believing by repeating the lines that refer back to his uncertainty.

If you never flew why would you

Again, the floor becoming the ceiling being a reference to the rise, or passing of the soul or spirit. ‘If you never flew why would you’ again referring to the question that ‘if you’ve never died, how can know that something beyond exists’?
    Old 06-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #39
    Billies09

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Excellent song...I can't wait to hear it live!!! It's definitely in my Top 3 from the album.
    Old 06-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #40
    phuts

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I cannot stop listening to this song. It can never get old for me.
    Old 06-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #41
    Kevinbstbll9

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I have to admit I'm not a fan of this in the studio but on Saturday it kicked total ass live! The whole crowd seemed to get into it and a fair amount of people were singing. It's a great song to dance to! So if you haven't listened to it yet then download it!!! Great live song!
    Old 06-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #42
    vikes989

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    also, the line "if you never flew why would you?" could be that Roi decided to fly in the airplane to LA to meet the guys when he rarely flew anywhere.
    I thought that at first as well

But then I remembered that Dave teased some lyrics in the intro of WYA on 6/9/08. "If you never flew, why would you" was included.

So I don't think thats it
    Old 06-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #43
    Mickey Carson

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Definitely my favorite song on Big Whiskey
    Old 06-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #44
    Sweet Chicken
    deftones>>>>>>Radiohead

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

You guys trying to turn this song into a God song are waaaay off. It is in fact a love song. The cut the wings off a butterfly is his way of describing her being cruel to him, in some way that being in love always does. Think of it as Shakespeare does Seven.
    Old 06-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #45
    NumberForTOne
    Camden 4 Life

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Opinion: LITHOG's lyrics on par with #41s.
    Old 06-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #46
    Candice Smith

My Tour Central Stats

wow this song just wows me. so beautiful. tim is perfect in it, roi is perfect in it, Dave´s vocals are spot on and the lyrics are very nice. its so fresh but at the same time it has an old school vibe.
    Old 06-09-2009, 07:01 AM   #47
    bs022

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Interesting find that was brought up over at TDC that I thought I would share here. The opening lyrics to LITHOG are sung in the intro of What You Are from the 6.9.08 show at Detroit.
    Old 06-09-2009, 07:02 AM   #48
    bs022

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

^and if you wanna take a listen
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/yo4etd
    Old 06-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #49
    FJM005

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbjdc6 View Post
    i have no idea what it means to dave, but as soon as i read the lyrics every single line made a ton of sense to me. Here is what i get out of the lyrics. But i think the great thing about this song is there are so many ways to take it.

To me, it is about religion. It is about the disconnect between love and the bible bashing sermons taught in church. It is like he is saying that the pastors or priests don't even understand the love that is suppose to be the foundation of thier religion. The narrator seems to really understand this love but is unsure about much else.

The first verse:
    baby i'll be your soldier/gladly i'll do your bidding/ for just a taste of what you're holding/ for just a taste you could own me.

this verse to me is the narrator talking to god. It is wierd to refer to god as baby, but it makes sense to me. He is saying that he would basically do anything for what he is holding which is a very fulfilling love. With just a taste of it god could own him.

Chorus:
    save your sermons for someone that's afriad to love./ if you knew what i feel then you couldn't be so sure./ i'll be right here lying in the hands of god.

this chorus i veiw the narrator talking to the priests and pastors, basically saying they can tell someone else what to do, because he is only interested in lying in the hands of god. With my interpretation of the first verse, this means he is interested in the love that god is holding. Wanting what god is holding in the first verse and then later lying in the hands of god is consistent in desire and action in this interpretation. In the chorus it also seems like he is saying that if the the pastors and priests had experienced and felt the love he felt, they would be a lot less sure in their black and white sermons.

Next:
    here it comes diving into me. Now the floor is the ceiling/if you never flew why would you cut the wings off a butterfly.

during the first part the narrator is desciribing the love transforming him. Almost as if he could see it coming from a distance. The foor is the ceiling is a great way to describe how such a powerful love makes the things that seemed to matter so much mean so little after experiencing the love. The second part the narrator is talking to the priests agian. He is saying if they never experienced this love why would they withhold it from others as if that is what their sermons are doing.

Next:
    if you feel angels in your head/ teardrop of joy runs down your face./ you will rise

this verse it seems he is describing the love again and what it does to him.

Next:
    fill me up now drain me./ skin begins to grow back slowly/ faster untill i'm choking/ i really should call my mother.

this verse seems to describe the transformation the love. It is something new, strange, life altering. I like the last line in this verse a lot.

Next:
    i am in love with nothing less/ teardrops of joy run off my face./ i will rise.

this seems to be describing how he won't settle for anything less than the love that is in the hands of god.

If you every time that i mention love in this interpretation you replace it with a very spiritual type drug, then i think this exact same interpretation would work.

Hope this made sense to someone.
    nice!
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #50
    JunkBondTrader

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

just heard from an interview with Dave that Tim nailed that guitar solo on the first take.
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #51
    blueflame529

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Something I just noticed in the liner notes as I was reading the lyrics to the song is that Dave drew the 5 point crown with one of the points broken off. It is not depicted on any of the other pages except for the front cover.
    I do like how the lyrics can mean different things to different ppl, but I just thought that the 5/4 point crown lends itself more to the song being about Roi. Great song.

Another thing I noticed as I was looking thru the pages was how many rabbit-people drawings there are! I counted at least 7, 8 if you count the rabbit sarcophagus on the LITHOG page.
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #52
    Ram

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sweet Chicken View Post
    You guys trying to turn this song into a God song are waaaay off. It is in fact a love song. The cut the wings off a butterfly is his way of describing her being cruel to him, in some way that being in love always does. Think of it as Shakespeare does Seven.
    Really? You're so quick to tell people their interpretation is wrong, when your own interpretation goes completely against what Dave has said the song might actually be about?

Really?
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #53
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/sh...d.php?t=252498

Here is a link to my interpretations...I am not very good at conveying them through words but I tried! haha!
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #54
    ericvol

My Tour Central Stats

My LITHOG interpretation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am basing this review on a feel that I got from listening to the song today.

Dave has been quoted as saying the music is a call and responce with Leroi. But as I was listening I feel like the lyrics is almost a back and forth between Dave struggling with the loss of Leroi and the spirt of Leroi urging him to not mourn but celebrate him. And in classic Dave style he potrays it as a simple love song.

So here me out.

Save your sermons for someone that's afraid to
    love I'll be right here lying in the hands of God
    This line represents Leroi saying for everyone to stop mourning his loss(sermons at a funeral) and save those for someone that was afraid to love.
    And that he is in "heaven" and happy.
    Here it comes diving into me
    I feel like this is potraying Leroi spirt being called up to heaven and just visual image potraying this.

Cut the wings off a butterfly
    Fly
    I feel like this part is Dave asking almost "If you never flew, Why would you?" as in when Leroi flew across country which lead to his death. He is mouring and wishing it would have never happend, then he says but all it did was allow his spirt to Fly.

Save your sermons for someone that's afraid
    to love
    If you knew what I feel then you couldn't be so sure
    If you feel angels in your hair
    Teardrops of joy run down your face
    You will rise Once again Leroi letting everyone know he is ok by giving them a calm with his spirt by a feeling. "angels in your hair, teardrops down your face."

Fill me up now drain me
    Skin begins to grow back slowly
    Faster until I'm choking
    I really should call my mother
    Mother
    This is back to Dave struggling with his loss. He can't handle the pain and wishes he could revert back to when he could just turn to his mother when things were terrible.

Save your sermons for someone that's afraid
    to love

I am in love with nothing else
    Teardrops of joy runs off my face
    I will rise for someone that's afraid to love
    I'll be right here lying in the hands of God Once again Leroi comes in and fills Dave's soul with a calm letting him know that it is ok to move on and celebrate his life.

But then in the end when Dave painfully calls out this line 3 times you can see that he is still always going to be missing/mourning his friend.

I don't know if that iis way off, that is just kind of the vibe I felt! Sorry I hope it doesn't make anyone upset since it is a sensitive subject!
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #55
    Ram

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I think people are trying too hard to attribute songs to being about LeRoi. We already know Why I Am and Baby Blue are directly related to him, how many songs on one album do you think Dave is going to write specifically about his feelings about LeRoi? Go re-read Dave's explanation about this song, I think everyone's just trying to hard to force it to be about Roi. (It was my first thought too, but after listening to the album, I'm pretty convinced it's not supposed to be directly about him.)
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #56
    ericvol

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah I wrote that a couple weeks ago...Dave's explanation though wasn't one at all...he just said its an open ended song that you can interpret many ways...so I don't think there is a wrong answer here.
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #57
    Lude99

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmatthes View Post
    I think people are trying too hard to attribute songs to being about LeRoi. We already know Why I Am and Baby Blue are directly related to him, how many songs on one album do you think Dave is going to write specifically about his feelings about LeRoi? Go re-read Dave's explanation about this song, I think everyone's just trying to hard to force it to be about Roi. (It was my first thought too, but after listening to the album, I'm pretty convinced it's not supposed to be directly about him.)
    I agree.

And LITHOG is still the best song on the album.
    Old 06-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #58
    Groogrux King

My Tour Central Stats

The whole song has a melancholy, uncertain feel to it. Even the way the guitar is bending in the song speaks to it's soul. I think the best line in the song is "If you never flew why would you". I take it personally to mean that most people have never attained the level of talent or success as someone like Roi (or Dave). And if we as the audience have never even come close to living with such greatness, how could we possibly know what it's like to lose such a person as Roi. There is sadness, tears and even joy in mourning the death of his friend and even though Dave may be uncertain about what god means, he is at his mercy while trying to get through this. I think the line about calling his mother is important. He feels as helpless as a baby in this situation and knows she can soothe him and make this scar heal a bit quicker. His mother is the most probable person he will lose next in his life and with this situation arising, he is reminded to call and check in with her. I think this is an amazing look into Dave's thoughts and feelings as he is coping with such a loss and it is a real gift to us as fans.
    Old 06-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #59
    Lude99

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groogrux King View Post
    I think the best line in the song is "If you never flew why would you". I take it personally to mean that most people have never attained the level of talent or success as someone like Roi (or Dave). And if we as the audience have never even come close to living with such greatness, how could we possibly know what it's like to lose such a person as Roi.
    Do you really think Dave is that arrogant?
    Old 06-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #60
    Groogrux King

My Tour Central Stats

I don't think it's arrogance at all. He talks about hearing Angels in his head. That's how amazingly talented Roi was. How many people in life do you intimately that make you hear angels?