OMG, a modern day sgt. pepper's! - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-03-2009, 01:36 AM   #31
da309392

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Re: OMG, a modern day sgt. pepper's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zajDmB1 View Post
Dig a Pony is just as fun and good as Maggae May and One After 909.
To me everything about Dig a Pony sounds like it was thrown together in 5 minutes. It's just John Lennon's table scraps on the record.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-03-2009, 01:58 AM   #32
    skaman343
    I love big brother

Shows Seen: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by werkinsnake View Post
    I guess nobody here listens to music pre-1991.

OK, I disagree that BW is on the same level as Sgt. Pepper, but it is a solid album. However, if anyone here says that the album is better than Dark Side of the Moon, well you'll be saying hello to my little friends...

BW is way better than DSOTM... Oh wait, I mean Division Bell. Sorry . Dark Side is awesome. Love that album.
    Old 06-03-2009, 05:54 AM   #33
    SmoothG

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Holy shit! I almost don't have words. OP, please don't take this lightly...this is without a doubt the most retarded musical opinion in the history of the world. I have to leave this thread before I die laughing. DMBc continues to surprise me. I'd try to offer a counter argument if this wasn't so completely insane.

I'd like the OP to go a little more in depth and explain in detail his explanation. I'm sure it would be priceless!!!
    Old 06-03-2009, 06:01 AM   #34
    Shagadelic
    J

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Absolute bollocks...BWAGK is a great album indeed but you're comparison makes you look the fool.
    Old 06-03-2009, 06:03 AM   #35
    GinaNMU
    The girl in the shades.

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
    Big whiksy is it. It literally brought me to tears at certain points. A modern day sgt. pepper's for sure!!

Old 06-03-2009, 06:09 AM   #36
    Bafugama
    I'm Not Bruce Willis.

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Big Whiskey has a similar track diversity to Sgt. Peppers... There's just worlds of different styles and music all over both albums. In that regard, I could see comparing it to Sgt. Peppers... After that though, the similarities are pretty few and far between... I mean, there's 40+ years of history behind Sgt. Peppers, and BW hasn't even had four days. I love Big Whiskey... A hell of a lot, and to be honest I'm on the verge of saying it's the best DMB album to date, but to compare it to an album that many (myself included) would consider legendary, at this point, is just outrageous.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by efraser77 View Post
    You are the John McClane of teh Interwebz, cuz you killed it just now.

Last edited by Bafugama; 06-03-2009 at 06:10 AM.
    Old 06-03-2009, 06:10 AM   #37
    atellis

Shows Seen: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Dave Matthews Band is MUCH better musically than The Beatles. The Beatles had corny lyrics and simple guitar riffs. They were only as popular as they were and as famous as they are because of the pop music revolution (no pun intended). I love The Beatles but they are not that great musically.

DMB has a lot more skill than they do. A lot of bands do.
    Pittsburgh Steelers / Pittsburgh Penguins
    Old 06-03-2009, 06:15 AM   #38
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry. Comparing BWGK to the Beatles? Hahaha! I'd like bmoney and atellis to keep posting a little just so I can get a couple more laughs before I go to bed...
    Old 06-03-2009, 06:37 AM   #39
    Bafugama
    I'm Not Bruce Willis.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by atellis View Post
    Dave Matthews Band is MUCH better musically than The Beatles. The Beatles had corny lyrics and simple guitar riffs. They were only as popular as they were and as famous as they are because of the pop music revolution (no pun intended). I love The Beatles but they are not that great musically.

DMB has a lot more skill than they do. A lot of bands do.
    That could be true to an extent, but the greatness of the Beatles wasn't their abilities on their instruments. George & Paul especially were phenomenal at guitar and bass, respectively, but the reason the Beatles were so important to music history, and also why we still listen to their songs is because they were the greatest collection of song writers in the history of music. Depending on who you ask, the Beatles consisted of 2 or 3 of the all time greatest writers in music history. You're probably completely right in the regard that DMB's musicianship is stronger than the Beatles ever was, but you're missing the greatness of the Beatles.

It's a lot more difficult to write basic, simple music that appeals to all sorts of level of listener than it is to write complex music... That's been proven over and over again over the course of the history of music. Nobody has ever approached the same planet of this talent as the Beatles had. That's why 4 year olds in 2009 enjoy their music as much as 54 year olds in 1989 and 15 year olds in 1969. The Beatles are the most incredible band to ever exist in that regard.

EDIT: I mean, if I was to create a list of the greatest song writers of all time, it would go:

1. John Lennon
    2. Paul McCartney
    3. George Harrison

4 (tie) Everybody else ever

Quote:

Last edited by Bafugama; 06-03-2009 at 06:39 AM.
    Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #40
    jmudmbphan
    27 WS + 14 NATL TITLES

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bothedmbfan View Post
    Let it Be, bar a couple songs, is horrible. Let it Be...Naked, may even be worse. It's not Spector's fault that Beatles had run out of creative steam, and hated each other at that point. It may be his fault that he wasn't Martin though, and couldn't get them all to stop being assholes and make Abbey Road though.
    If you recall, they recorded Abbey Road after Let it be.....sure had enough creative steam for that one...I think Spector just fucked it up..
    because they are clearly better.......? How's that for a reason? They also played IN New York, on a cold windy night. You put Elisha in a no-elements warm climate and he's fucked. No way in high holy fuck is New England going to lose the Super Bowl. It's not going to happen.
    Old 06-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #41
    bmoney

My Tour Central Stats

Allow me to clarify for you guys a little more...

I realize this is a bold claim, but I feel its a claim that needs to be made. Listen to BW several times (I'm sure most of you already have) and analyze from different perspectives. There is so much going on that is beyond the first layer, or even second and third layers....This album blows my mind in the same way that A day in the life blows my mind every time I hear it.

Granted, Sgt. Peppers was the soundtrack of the Summer of Love, and a very different time in America. It also helped usher in new feelings, new ideas, a new way of looking at the world. In all honesty, Big Whisky and the Groogrux King is so phenomenal and tremendous in value, this could mark a similar shift in social thinking and acting, much the way Sgt. Peppers did back in 67. Big Whisky has the potential to change this world. This album has the power and boldness to make a grown man weep like a little woman....I would not be surprised in the least if a second cultural revolution begans and its origins are tied back to the Big Whisky Era to at least SOME degree. For these reasons, I think this is the modern day Sgt. Peppers we've been waiting for for 42 years...almost to the day.

And for the record Let it Be was a very solid album.

Last edited by bmoney; 06-03-2009 at 07:49 AM.
    Old 06-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #42
    pathetic
    Liberate a solid set!

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thank God. Lennon = great writer, and a total fucking asshole.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rantingthespian View Post
    You are treading on thin ice my friend. You are calling my hero a fucking asshole. You have all the right in the world to not like him, but don't trash my hero.
    funny shit...
    Old 06-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #43
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I realize this is a bold claim, but I feel its a claim that needs to be made. Listen to BW several times (I'm sure most of you already have) and analyze from different perspectives. There is so much going on that is beyond the first layer, or even second and third layers....This album blows my mind in the same way that A day in the life blows my mind every time I hear it.

Granted, Sgt. Peppers was the soundtrack of the Summer of Love, and a very different time in America. It also helped usher in new feelings, new ideas, a new way of looking at the world. In all honesty, Big Whisky and the Groogrux King is so phenomenal and tremendous in value, this could mark a similar shift in social thinking and acting, much the way Sgt. Peppers did back in 67. Big Whisky has the potential to change this world. This album has the power and boldness to make a grown man weep like a little woman....I would not be surprised in the least if a second cultural revolution begans and its origins are tied back to the Big Whisky Era to at least SOME degree. For these reasons, I think this is the modern day Sgt. Peppers we've been waiting for for 42 years...almost to the day.

a day in the life is a fucking great song. any song that both lennon and mccartney sing is good

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    Old 06-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #44
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I realize this is a bold claim, but I feel its a clear that needs to be made. Listen to BW several times (I'm sure most of you already have) and analyze from different perspectives. There is so much going on that is beyond the first layer, or even second and third layers....This album blows my mind in the same way that A day in the life blows my mind every time I hear it.

None of this is serious, right?
    Old 06-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #45
    bmoney

My Tour Central Stats

Listen man, just let BW expand your mind. Allow it to get in there and fill your brain in a deeper sort of level. BW has the potential to change this world.
    Old 06-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #46
    dotpsd

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Let it Be, bar a couple songs, is horrible. Let it Be...Naked, may even be worse. It's not Spector's fault that Beatles had run out of creative steam, and hated each other at that point. It may be his fault that he wasn't Martin though, and couldn't get them all to stop being assholes and make Abbey Road though.
    But Let It Be was written before Abbey Road
    Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #47
    Bafugama
    I'm Not Bruce Willis.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I realize this is a bold claim, but I feel its a clear that needs to be made. Listen to BW several times (I'm sure most of you already have) and analyze from different perspectives. There is so much going on that is beyond the first layer, or even second and third layers....This album blows my mind in the same way that A day in the life blows my mind every time I hear it.

Even if Big Whiskey was on the same level of greatness of Sgt. Peppers, it would go largely unnoticed because the landscape of the world and the landscape of music is so fundamentally different that the two albums are essentially uncomparable. I understand what you're saying, but one of the reasons that Sgt. Peppers was what it was was the fact that it was like nothing before it. Obviously BW is like nothing before it, but there's a whole hell of a lot more before it that makes it's impact that much less.

Babe Ruth was revolutionary because of what came before him... If Babe Ruth had the exact same numbers from 1988-2008, he would just be a great player, and not the revolutionary player he's regarded as. In that sense, no matter how great BW is it could never be on the same level as Sgt. Peppers.

For the record, I stand by the fact that there's no way BW is even in the same discussion as Sgt. Peppers, or for that fact any of the 'Big 7-13(depending on who you are, this number can vary)' albums they did make.

Quote:
    Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #48
    bmoney

My Tour Central Stats

just to make a quick point..I am a FAR bigger Beatles fan than DMB fan....I am just in shock ove the greatness that was given to us by the Dave Matthews Band. 6/2/09 is going to go down in history..mark my words.
    Old 06-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #49
    dotpsd

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

So Alligator Pie is like marshmallow pie and marmalade skies?
    Old 06-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #50
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    BW has the potential to change this world.
    No. No, it doesn't. Can I have whatever drugs you're taking?
    Old 06-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #51
    bmoney

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bafugama View Post
    Even if Big Whiskey was on the same level of greatness of Sgt. Peppers, it would go largely unnoticed because the landscape of the world and the landscape of music is so fundamentally different that the two albums are essentially uncomparable. I understand what you're saying, but one of the reasons that Sgt. Peppers was what it was was the fact that it was like nothing before it. Obviously BW is like nothing before it, but there's a whole hell of a lot more before it that makes it's impact that much less.

Babe Ruth was revolutionary because of what came before him... If Babe Ruth had the exact same numbers from 1988-2008, he would just be a great player, and not the revolutionary player he's regarded as. In that sense, no matter how great BW is it could never be on the same level as Sgt. Peppers.

For the record, I stand by the fact that there's no way BW is even in the same discussion as Sgt. Peppers, or for that fact any of the 'Big 7-13(depending on who you are, this number can vary)' albums they did make.

I see your piont, and I can agree to a degree. The point about Babe Ruth, and Sgt. Peppers having little else to compare to is very valid. And yes, in a way, BW will not have the SAME impact...however, it doesnt have to have the same impact. If each piece can live up to its potential..and the sky is the limit for potential, well then it will have been a perfect masterpiece...just the way Sgt. Peppers is.

BW will change the world. Music. How we live, and love, and go on about our lives. Mabye not overnight, but this is going to serve as a turning point in history as we know it.

Last edited by bmoney; 06-03-2009 at 07:58 AM.
    Old 06-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #52
    Bafugama
    I'm Not Bruce Willis.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I see your piont, and I can agree to a degree. The point about Babe Ruth, and Sgt. Peppers having little else to compare to is very valid. And yes, in a way, BW will not have the SAME impact...however, it doesnt have to have the same impact. If each piece can live up to its potential..and the sky is the limit for potential, well then it will have been a perfect masterpiece...just the way Sgt. Peppers is.

BW will change the world. Music. How we live, and love, and go on about our lives. Mabye not overnight, but this is going to serve as a turning point in history as we know it.
    This is a very safe crazy statement to make, since you're banking on the fact that even if you're wrong nobody will remember it, since it will be years, maybe decades, before we even know whether you're right or wrong... But still, the album has been out for less than 2 days... I think this is a completely outlandish statement regardless.

Quote:
    Old 06-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #53
    BeQuietAndDrive

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

These are the kind of absurd comments that:

1) Make people hate DMB fans
    2) Are going to turn DMB fans that legitimately enjoy the record against it
    Old 06-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #54
    Bafugama
    I'm Not Bruce Willis.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive View Post

Insight... Pass it on.

Quote:
    Old 06-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #55
    bmoney

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive View Post

Sir, if me speaking my opinion can drive people to hate and twist their own thoughts in their head.....well then I should really become a politician.
    Old 06-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #56
    jenben41
    A.K.A The Plant

My Tour Central Stats

In what universe is BW the next SP?

Read a goddamn rock history book.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    Old 06-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #57
    bmoney

My Tour Central Stats

Just listening to BW makes me feel like a cultural revolution has started....we just arent aware of it yet..
    Old 06-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #58
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Old 06-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #59
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenben41 View Post
    In what universe is BW the next SP?

Read a goddamn rock history book.
    Great Avatar
    Old 06-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #60
    cswright
    Willy the Polar Bear

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Wowsers
    u guys who insist that song is not sister are dumb. do u not know about the bonus disk or what? its obviously sister. theres no way that song is going to be called my baby blue. dave loves sister and its not like hes gonna take the same musical components and put it in a completely different song