***Official Ants Photography Thread*** - Page 51 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #1501
whodat
CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Ants Photography Thread***

I have a question for the rank and file here. I was approached by my son's soccer league to take the team picture day portraits, action shots and an annual for the league. I need to submit a proposal with how much I would charge and what cut the league would receive from the pictures. Is there anyone in here that has any experience with this, or know of someone that does. I have sourced a couple of labs to fulfill the orders, now I just to figure out what to propose in the bid.

Many thanks to you all and happy shooting.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #1502
    sweet_4_certain

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    I have a question for the rank and file here. I was approached by my son's soccer league to take the team picture day portraits, action shots and an annual for the league. I need to submit a proposal with how much I would charge and what cut the league would receive from the pictures. Is there anyone in here that has any experience with this, or know of someone that does. I have sourced a couple of labs to fulfill the orders, now I just to figure out what to propose in the bid.

Many thanks to you all and happy shooting.
    Not sure what you should charge. I would look at what others are charging in your area? Maybe ask at your local camera shop?

You could see what all the costs would be, printing, travel, post etc. Then figure out how long it would take you do take the shots/edit. Figure out how much you think you should get an hour?

So far I have only done free photo shoots because I am not ready to start charging yet. I did read an interesting blog on fees to charge-his advice: dont undercharge! Keep it around the prices in your area for that kind of work. Definitely said not to undercharge for the shoots because in the end it only hurts you (no one expects you do it for free forever, but they may expect you to continue to charge lower than you should if you make that reputation for yourself).
    Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #1503
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks for the ideas. What I am slowly finding out, when it comes to the world of youth sports photography, people keep their pricing close to the vest. I have worked with some product shooters and other professionals over the years, and most were more then willing to give advice on pricing and services. Youth team sports photographers don't seem to carry the same feeling.

I will continue to hit up all the contacts I know, including anyone in this thread. So keep posting fellow photogs. Thanks.
    Old 05-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #1504
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Less talky...more pictures.

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-26-2010, 06:24 AM   #1505
    mattyande

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. What I am slowly finding out, when it comes to the world of youth sports photography, people keep their pricing close to the vest. I have worked with some product shooters and other professionals over the years, and most were more then willing to give advice on pricing and services. Youth team sports photographers don't seem to carry the same feeling.

I will continue to hit up all the contacts I know, including anyone in this thread. So keep posting fellow photogs. Thanks.
    How much time does it seem like they're expecting you to put in to this? Do you have to shoot for a couple hours every week? One game per team per season? In my opinion, that will have a big impact on what you should ask. Do you plan on retouching shots at home? How do you get yourself compensated for that time? Did they approach you because they were expecting that you'd charge less, or just because they know you take good photos? Are you giving them full rights to the photos you shoot? I'd probably set an hourly rate in your head, and then try and project it for what they're expecting from you. If they haven't made themselves clear, then just tell them the hourly rate. Make sure you cover yourself for your time "behind the scenes". I'd think the actual photo packages should be priced similar to senior portraits, or slightly less. That's how I'd look at it.
    Old 05-26-2010, 06:26 AM   #1506
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    Less talky...more pictures.
    I took a shot at a hand held HDR here... It's not too bad if you aren't looking super close. This couldn't be printed large, because of the small amount of hand movement.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...991&id=8608261
    Old 05-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #1507
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattyande View Post
    How much time does it seem like they're expecting you to put in to this? Do you have to shoot for a couple hours every week? One game per team per season? In my opinion, that will have a big impact on what you should ask. Do you plan on retouching shots at home? How do you get yourself compensated for that time? Did they approach you because they were expecting that you'd charge less, or just because they know you take good photos? Are you giving them full rights to the photos you shoot? I'd probably set an hourly rate in your head, and then try and project it for what they're expecting from you. If they haven't made themselves clear, then just tell them the hourly rate. Make sure you cover yourself for your time "behind the scenes". I'd think the actual photo packages should be priced similar to senior portraits, or slightly less. That's how I'd look at it.
    Those are excellent points and things that I have thought about. I do agree with the hourly rate, as I have one set for the product and lifestyle photography. When it comes to action shots, I will probably be out there quite a bit getting as much stuff as possible. More good shots should equal more sales. I don't think there will be any sort of retouching. Maybe some image manipulation to create collages for the annual.

The big thing for me is how to price out picture day. I agree that the packets should be priced similar to the senior portrait packages, but what about my time for that. I would think a flat rate for the day, but I don't what that rate needs to be.

Thanks for the tips and things to think about. Again, even if I don't post in here much, I do appreciate this thread. It is a happy place here in Ants... for me at least.
    Old 05-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #1508
    sweet_4_certain

My Tour Central Stats

Matt or Ben,

Can you tell me more about LR2 websites you have (I think?) and how you got them set up, how they work, etc? I think thats how I want to post my pictures too. Been taking some recently that I want to share
    Old 05-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #1509
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweet_4_certain View Post
    Matt or Ben,

Can you tell me more about LR2 websites you have (I think?) and how you got them set up, how they work, etc? I think thats how I want to post my pictures too. Been taking some recently that I want to share
    I just got the domain and hosting services from Hostgator.com. Pretty cheap and easy to work with. In LR2 you just make folders for galleries you want and there is simply like a tab called "Web" in the program. With your folder for your gallery selected you just go to the Web tab and it generates a webpage for the specific gallery that you can preview and customize however you want with their built-in presets. Then when you have it the way you want it, you just export it and it generates all the web files and folders required, then just upload that to your website via FTP.

The only bad thing is making a working webpage with multiple pages. As far as I know, LR2 doesn't do that. It just outputs the individual gallery pages and it's up to you to link them together on a website. So either you should have a webpage making program like Dreamweaver to make some of that stuff easier (I don't) or have some basic knowledge about HTML code (that's what I do, not hard, but kind of tedious sometimes).

I mean I have no idea how to do javascript and stuff, but LR2 will spit out javascript galleries easily enough. So I like it simply because I only have a very basic working knowledge of HTML code and I don't want to spend the money on other programs to help make a webpage.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #1510
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Matt or Ben,

My personal website is all done in Flash. I have not yet worked with LR, but have seen what it can do with photogalleries. Just from an ease of updating the galleries, I might end up redoing my site with LR one day. Updating Flash files is not easy.
    Old 05-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #1511
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

alright, i have a question for you guys. on tripods, what is the point of that little spring-loaded nub next to the screw? and how can i get rid of it? it makes it really annoying when i have to take the camera off and put it back on when im in need of making a quick battery change. i tried tape, even super duty packing tape, and it won't keep it down.
    Old 05-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #1512
    sweet_4_certain

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    alright, i have a question for you guys. on tripods, what is the point of that little spring-loaded nub next to the screw? and how can i get rid of it? it makes it really annoying when i have to take the camera off and put it back on when im in need of making a quick battery change. i tried tape, even super duty packing tape, and it won't keep it down.
    Some cameras have a second hole that this will fit into. It is a second point of contact, I think basically to stop the camera from being able to rotate off the tripod if for example, you carry it on your shoulder etc.
    Old 05-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #1513
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

i still need a way to get rid of it though. any suggestions? taping it down doesn't work.
    Old 05-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #1514
    sweet_4_certain

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    i still need a way to get rid of it though. any suggestions? taping it down doesn't work.

Only thing I can think of is breaking it off, or maybe super glue and hold it down with something until the glue sets?
    Old 06-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #1515
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

New 'rough version' of my website...

I have work to do on lots of the content, but the basic idea is there. I'm working with a very strict template, so I don't have much in terms of formatting options. Mostly just content control. Let me know what you think and if you have suggestions...

I think I need a lot less photos for starters...

www.matthewandersonphotography.com
    Old 06-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #1516
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Matt or Ben,

I think Ben answered pretty well, do you still have any questions?
    Old 06-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #1517
    sweet_4_certain

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think Ben answered pretty well, do you still have any questions?
    So is your new site made on LR2 at all? or is it the livebooks template, etc? How computer savvy do you have to be to set up your new site from Livebooks?

From what Ben said about LR2, I am not quite there yet...
    Old 06-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #1518
    heartcornbread
    Fonz Fan

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

So I need help spending $1,000 on photog stuff. I currently have nikon d40, kit lens, 55-200 lens , 35mm 1.8, and sb400 speedlight. Think I'll def. Upgrade the flash to 600.any thoughts on how to spend the rest of the money? Don't think I can justify anew body as I haven't had any limitations with the d40. As far as lenses go....what's a good one to replace my kit lens? Anyone have the tamron 28-75 2.8??

Oh and I'm currently skill building...possibly portfolio building in the future.

I love you, you, you, you, you, you, you.
    heartcornbread is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-02-2010, 06:27 AM   #1519
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by heartcornbread View Post
    So I need help spending $1,000 on photog stuff. I currently have nikon d40, kit lens, 55-200 lens , 35mm 1.8, and sb400 speedlight. Think I'll def. Upgrade the flash to 600.any thoughts on how to spend the rest of the money? Don't think I can justify anew body as I haven't had any limitations with the d40. As far as lenses go....what's a good one to replace my kit lens? Anyone have the tamron 28-75 2.8??

Oh and I'm currently skill building...possibly portfolio building in the future.
    You should load up on all the BS accessories that you always need but never think of...

Tripod
    Filters (polarizers, ND, etc)
    Lens Cleaners
    Bags
    Teleconverter

Since you're shooting digital, do you have any editing software? At a minimum, I'd get Lightroom and buy some Lynda.com training classes for it. I'd also consider Photoshop and classes for that. Photomatix if you like HDR. Maybe some plug-ins for Lightroom like Nik or Color Efex Pro.

You could buy some printing supplies. This is one of my favorite aspects of photography that we don't mention much here. Getting tangible results, and matting and mounting them. It's wonderful to see your work on a wall.

If I were looking to buy glass (and I always am), I'd get more prime lenses. The quality is always much better than what you get for an equivalently priced zoom, and they force you to move your feet, which you should be doing even if you're using a zoom. The 85mm 1.8 is supposed to be fantastic. The 105 macro is one of the best portrait lenses out there, and you'll be able to shoot macro as well. I've been looking at these (and other primes) because I have a film body too, and want them to work on both, so I'm ruling out the DX lenses. Buying the 'pro zooms' that cover the entire focal range is a very expensive option, which I'm going to hold off on until I'm making money from my photography. Plus, those lenses are all very heavy.

Sorry for the rambling, but I'm always looking to spend money on photo stuff, so this was something easy for me to respond to...

Hope it helps...
    Old 06-02-2010, 06:31 AM   #1520
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So is your new site made on LR2 at all? or is it the livebooks template, etc? How computer savvy do you have to be to set up your new site from Livebooks?

From what Ben said about LR2, I am not quite there yet...
    The new site is just livebooks. I will still use the LR2 galleries to make specific galleries for clients. You don't have to know a ton to use livebooks, they have tutorials for most everything. You DO have to buy a domain elsewhere, and get them to point it to livebooks name servers. Livebooks is really cheap if you're a student, but they have limited 'cheap' options available. If you're willing to fork out $40+ per month for your site, you can get something much more custom. Very easy to use though.
    Old 06-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #1521
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    New 'rough version' of my website...

I have work to do on lots of the content, but the basic idea is there. I'm working with a very strict template, so I don't have much in terms of formatting options. Mostly just content control. Let me know what you think and if you have suggestions...

I think I need a lot less photos for starters...

www.matthewandersonphotography.com
    Great site Matt!

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #1522
    sweet_4_certain

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You should load up on all the BS accessories that you always need but never think of...

Tripod
    Filters (polarizers, ND, etc)
    Lens Cleaners
    Bags
    Teleconverter

Since you're shooting digital, do you have any editing software? At a minimum, I'd get Lightroom and buy some Lynda.com training classes for it. I'd also consider Photoshop and classes for that. Photomatix if you like HDR. Maybe some plug-ins for Lightroom like Nik or Color Efex Pro.

You could buy some printing supplies. This is one of my favorite aspects of photography that we don't mention much here. Getting tangible results, and matting and mounting them. It's wonderful to see your work on a wall.

If I were looking to buy glass (and I always am), I'd get more prime lenses. The quality is always much better than what you get for an equivalently priced zoom, and they force you to move your feet, which you should be doing even if you're using a zoom. The 85mm 1.8 is supposed to be fantastic. The 105 macro is one of the best portrait lenses out there, and you'll be able to shoot macro as well. I've been looking at these (and other primes) because I have a film body too, and want them to work on both, so I'm ruling out the DX lenses. Buying the 'pro zooms' that cover the entire focal range is a very expensive option, which I'm going to hold off on until I'm making money from my photography. Plus, those lenses are all very heavy.

Sorry for the rambling, but I'm always looking to spend money on photo stuff, so this was something easy for me to respond to...

Hope it helps...
    I agree with Matt on this.

I would also add:

-Remote trigger or cable release

-For filters: get a nd grad kit that attaches on front of lens (for landscapes). Also, something I did recently was get a 77mm polarizer and ND filters and buy stepping rings so I can use it on all my lenses (a pain to switch sometimes, but cheaper than buying filters for each lens and less to carry around too). At the very least, if you dont already, get UV or clear filters that stay on all of your lenses you have. Something I want to get is an expodisc for white balance. I would get something like the 77mm+ that I can hold in front of just about any lens to determine proper wb.

-Consider getting the SB900 over the 600, there is a lot more functionality out of the box with it. If you are really into flash (portraits) get the biggest softbox you can afford (with stand, boom, etc). Otherwise you should at least get a mini softbox for on camera use of flash. Also, on the d700, I can fire my flash remotely with my on-camera flash as a commander. Not sure if this is possible on the D40. if not, you should also get a commander unit like the su800 so you dont have to keep the flash on the hotshoe.
    -back up battery, extra memory cards
    -I got a vertical grip for my camera and it works great.
    -For tripods, get one that accepts a removable ball head.
    -and also, double check the teleconverter is compatible with your lenses. They are not with most (all?) zooms and I dont think they work on DX lenses. They should work on the 35mm you have though.
    Old 06-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #1523
    dmbman32
    Turn your back, Charles

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

At long last, here are some photos I've taken with my Canon EOS 7D. I've had it since late January and have gotten much more knowledgable as time has passed.

When I first started, I knew next to nothing about photography. Now, I actually know how to use shutter speed and aperture. Take a look:

Thoughts?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50746432@N02/?saved=1
    Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #1524
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    Great site Matt!
    Thanks Adam!
    Old 06-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #1525
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbman32 View Post
    At long last, here are some photos I've taken with my Canon EOS 7D. I've had it since late January and have gotten much more knowledgable as time has passed.

When I first started, I knew next to nothing about photography. Now, I actually know how to use shutter speed and aperture. Take a look:

Thoughts?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50746432@N02/?saved=1
    You've got some great low light exposures there. The next thing I'd study if I were you would be composition. It will change the entire way you see things. After that, try some books on exposure and lighting. If you need any specific book suggestions, let me know.
    Old 06-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #1526
    heartcornbread
    Fonz Fan

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks for the recs, everyone!

Yes, definitely interested in portraits....and just because, here's a pic I took yesterday of my little guy! (which looks a LOT crisper on my PC...)
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg toes-fb.jpg (16.4 KB, 19 views)

I love you, you, you, you, you, you, you.
    heartcornbread is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #1527
    sweet_4_certain

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Yes, definitely interested in portraits....and just because, here's a pic I took yesterday of my little guy! (which looks a LOT crisper on my PC...)
    That is the cutest expression! Love the eyes
    Old 06-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #1528
    sweet_4_certain

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

If you are really into portraits, look at Joe McNally's work. He is an amazing portrait photog. He has a blog. He also has some great classes on Kelbytraining.com which really helped me out. It is a bit of a learning curve and an investment in lighting gear, but it really helps with taking pics of people. He is a great teacher.
    Old 06-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #1529
    sweet_4_certain

My Tour Central Stats

Some photos taken on a hike recently. They are much less sharp here compared to LR...
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg _SKA3032.jpg (54.0 KB, 14 views)
    File Type: jpg _SKA3050.jpg (27.4 KB, 10 views)
    Old 06-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #1530
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Some photos taken on a hike recently. They are much less sharp here compared to LR...
    I've noticed LR does that. If you don't look at the edited pictures in the right viewer (program), they can look terrible depending on the edits done to them in LR. Like Windows Photo Viewer or whatever makes my pictures look really bad, but they look great on my website. I've found that Quicktime's photo viewer actually does a pretty good job of displaying the final pictures if you need to view them on your computer outside of LR. Something to do with how LR embeds the edits into the image of course.

Nice pictures by the way. Did you use a ND filter on the water one?
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    photography