Weightlifting - Page 177 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #5281
John Kelly
Machead and Cheese

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

I have to recommend Pro Bars. Quite expensive, but the best tasting bars out there. I recommend the original blend.
John Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #5282
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Why would a gym ever remove those two pieces of equipment?? Those are two of the most essential pieces to actually being a gym!
    Front desk dude goes "well we have plenty of smith machines". At that point I knew it wasn't worth arguing with him, he clearly doesn't understand.
    gonz085 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #5283
    rustysurf83

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I make a point of using all of the weights off of the Smith Machine every workout and leaving them on the squat rack instead every time I go to the gym. At least then, people using the Smith machine can get a workout by carrying the weight 25 feet.
    rustysurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #5284
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rustysurf83 View Post
    I make a point of using all of the weights off of the Smith Machine every workout and leaving them on the squat rack instead every time I go to the gym. At least then, people using the Smith machine can get a workout by carrying the weight 25 feet.

I got my balls busted for this kind of thing as well. I was taking 45s over to the leg press from the Smith Machines and one of the workers came over and said I needed to leave them where they were for the other people working out. I should note, this was at 12:30 AM and there was maybe one other person in the lifting area. It's unbelievable.
    Old 06-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #5285
    RichieSSC

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

On the gym front...I really like Anytime Fitness. I am a business traveler and they usually have one within 5-10 miles wherever I go, and if you join one, you can use them all. It is also not a "Bro/Dbag" gym but people who are just flat out exercising and cross training.

I am a cross trainer with doses of cardio mixed in, but I have probably been to 25 different Anytime Fitnesses across the country and generally get a good overall vibe.
    RichieSSC is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #5286
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

I'm a big proponent of the garage gym (both for cost reasons and to scare the neighbors). Stick with bodyweight stuff when I travel.
    Old 06-26-2014, 04:13 AM   #5287
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I've stopped weightlifting altogether for the summer and I've been taking boxing classes at a local Title Boxing Club. It's been unbelievably fun and after one month I feel like I'm in fantastic cardiovascular shape and I'm building plenty of lean muscle. I've never thrown up after a workout, but my first time boxing I was on the verge. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to shake up their workout routine.
    Old 06-26-2014, 08:25 AM   #5288
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    I've stopped weightlifting altogether for the summer and I've been taking boxing classes at a local Title Boxing Club. It's been unbelievably fun and after one month I feel like I'm in fantastic cardiovascular shape and I'm building plenty of lean muscle. I've never thrown up after a workout, but my first time boxing I was on the verge. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to shake up their workout routine.
    That sounds awesome. I think I'm going to look into doing that at some point. It's always fun to change-up your workout.

What is people's preference on workout time? Morning? Night? Afternoon? Whenever you can get in?

I like to go around 6 AM before work. It wakes me up, gets the blood pumping and lets me come home from work and relax all night instead. It really puts me in a good mood and makes the day seem to go better.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #5289
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

I go whenever. I prefer night time because I get rather restless and I feel like I have way more energy then.
    Old 06-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #5290
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

My boxing classes are at 5:45, I like going right from work because I just view it as an extension of my responsibilities for the day. If I go home in between and I sit on my couch, it's game over and I'll just sit there all night.

During the school year I just work out in between classes.
    Old 06-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #5291
    RAPUNZEL13
    They Attack!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post

First off, I wish I was the one moving to Ft. Lauderdale. Second, LA Fitness gets the job done and has a wide selection of shit. That's where the positives stop unfortunately. The LA I belonged to was never clean and would be found littered with bros too busy texting rather than putting in work on a nightly basis. I suppose it all depends on the area.
    Yea, I'll test it out and see how it is. Thanks man.
    Old 06-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #5292
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

I go around 11am or noon. Gym is generally abandoned and it re-charges me to get through the last couple hours of work.
    Old 06-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #5293
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Trying to bulk is literally the worst. I'm not really sure how those pros can eat like 4000+ calories a day. I've been trying to get to 3000 a day and it's been a pain in the ass. I guess, though, I try to do it without eating crap. I don't buy into the whole IIFYM thing. If you're stuffing you face with whatever, I feel like that defeats the purpose.

I've just been lifting as heavy as I can four days a week, going for a 2-3 mile run once a week and going for a 20 mile-ish bike ride once a week. Been about three weeks since I've dedicated myself again and I'm noticing decent results. I plan on doing this whole eating a lot, lifting a lot thing through July and then "cut" in August by doing a lot of circuit training, like Spartacus before my vacation. Interested in seeing where I can get by then.
    Old 06-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #5294
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Is it ever a good idea to take a week off just to take some time off? I've been hitting it incredibly hard since January and maybe missed a week's worth of workouts total. Most weeks I get in 6 days but no less than 5.

I ask because my wrist has been tender all weekend. I wanna keep hitting it and I think I can work though it but I know that can sometimes be detrimental.
    Old 06-29-2014, 12:49 PM   #5295
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Is it ever a good idea to take a week off just to take some time off? I've been hitting it incredibly hard since January and maybe missed a week's worth of workouts total. Most weeks I get in 6 days but no less than 5.

I ask because my wrist has been tender all weekend. I wanna keep hitting it and I think I can work though it but I know that can sometimes be detrimental.
    It's almost always good to take some time off...especially if you are going 6 days a week. I would take 2, honestly.
    Old 06-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #5296
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    Trying to bulk is literally the worst. I'm not really sure how those pros can eat like 4000+ calories a day. I've been trying to get to 3000 a day and it's been a pain in the ass. I guess, though, I try to do it without eating crap. I don't buy into the whole IIFYM thing. If you're stuffing you face with whatever, I feel like that defeats the purpose.

I've just been lifting as heavy as I can four days a week, going for a 2-3 mile run once a week and going for a 20 mile-ish bike ride once a week. Been about three weeks since I've dedicated myself again and I'm noticing decent results. I plan on doing this whole eating a lot, lifting a lot thing through July and then "cut" in August by doing a lot of circuit training, like Spartacus before my vacation. Interested in seeing where I can get by then.
    have you ever taken a weight gainer protein shake? i take dymatize super mass gainer with whole milk and peanut butter. a half serving is like 1100 calories (a full serving is 2 full shaker bottles, which is just too much if you can't take a 3 hour nap after drinking it).

but i know how you feel. if im working out regularly, i need to eat like 3500 calories a day to gain anything. to eat that much, you need to eat like 5 meals, but of course eating more often increases your metabolism, so you burn more calories. so like 4 of those meals each weak were just going to my new increased metabolism.

its really hard to eat that much every day, so i've been trying to just stuff my face on days i work out if i can't do a whole lot in between. i run to a place like 5 guys and get a burger and fries as a post-workout meal which gives me about 1300 calories.

Quote:

its definitely a good idea to take some time off, especially working out 5-6 days a week. if you take a couple weeks off, you'll come back refreshed and after a week or two (depending on how long you took off) of getting back into it, you should be able to go harder than you were before you took the break.

and if your wrist is sore, definitely take some time off. thats something that you need to rest if you want it to recover. as someone else suggested, take 2 week off. that'll let your wrist heal and your body fully recharge.
    Old 06-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #5297
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

So I should go a week or two just completely without exercising at all? Or should I just do some leisurely activities? Like ultimate or biking?
    Old 06-30-2014, 04:01 AM   #5298
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So I should go a week or two just completely without exercising at all? Or should I just do some leisurely activities? Like ultimate or biking?
    One of the most important parts of seeing results, whether it's weight loss, bulking, or cardiovascular fitness, is to give yourself a break every now and then.

Take a full week off from lifting. Your muscles won't suddenly shrink, you won't lose any strength, and when you get back in the gym you'll feel so fresh and your muscles will have had such a nice break, that you'll probably be a little stronger. I took two weeks off from boxing recently (because I had my appendix removed ) and when I finally got back into class I feel like I'd never punched as hard as I did that day.
    Old 07-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #5299
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Bought some wrist wraps last night to start using when I get back to lifting next week. My throwing hand is the one with the sore wrist so I thought I'd give them a test drive last night while I played ultimate frisbee and it definitely helped. Seems like a good $6 spent.
    Old 07-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #5300
    fridge112887
    William Perry

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Those of you buying that cheap WalMart shit might want to think again....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1eC...ature=youtu.be
    Old 07-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #5301
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

Thank goodness I have been totally supplement free. It's tough for me to trust any of that stuff. I took body fortress while working out about 4 years ago for maybe a month. I got blood work done and my creatinine levels were through the roof when the powder was supposed to be creatine free. Much happier to eat my protein through meals as opposed to shakes. Not knocking anyone who uses supplements, they just aren't for me.
    Old 07-08-2014, 04:17 AM   #5302
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, I haven't taken anything other than a multivitamin for almost a year now. Honestly, I don't notice much of a difference since I stopped doing protein shakes and my assortment of BCAA's. Not sure they're worth the money, although I do like my Taurine and Citrulline for an energy boost before a workout.
    Old 07-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #5303
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone know of a good site to help me formulate a diet/daily meal plan? I'm really starting to notice some muscle growth and seeing some great improvements, but I know my diet is not where it needs to be.
    Old 07-30-2014, 03:07 AM   #5304
    DirtyJersey
    The 856

Shows Seen: 82

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Just signed up for my first bodybuilding/physique show in June of next year. Yeah I know 10 months is a long time but I wanna enjoy the process of off season bulking etc. I'm 35 with 2 kids so I also want to be able to show people that anyone can do it, it's never too late. I see so many people my age with kids who have totally let themselves go and it makes me sad. "I don't have enough time" is a bs excuse.
    DirtyJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #5305
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

So, I am about to begin my year of clinical rotations. Through the classroom phase, I worked about 30 hours a week part-time...I'm not going to be working anymore once I begin clinicals (yay, loan money!). That being said, I just began lifting today. I started with chest. I think I'm going to do my rests in the middle of the week (due to clinical days and being free on weekends...so i'll hit the gym even harder on Saturday and sunday).

I guess I just have a few questions. I'm getting really serious with this now cause I want to get back to where I was in 2011 (weighed about 180 and was able to put up 225 on a flat bench and 195 on an incline....huge numbers for me given my history with lifting).

Today, I did chest/triceps..here was my workout (keep in mind, first day back):
    -flat bench dumbells 4 sets (15, 12, 10, 10 reps)
    -incline bench dumbells 4 sets (15, 12, 10, 10 reps)
    -dumbbell pullovers 3 sets (15, 12, 12 reps)
    -dumbbell flys 3 sets (12, 12, 10 reps)
    -cable crossovers 3 sets (12, 10, 10 reps)
    -tricep cable pulldowns 3 sets (10, 10, 8 reps)
    -tricep rope pulldowns 3 sets (10, 10, 8 reps)
    -close grip bench (on a machine) 3 sets (12, 12, burnout)

I have some flab, not going to lie...should I try modifying the above to a cut routine and then build later? or is it better to start building and then cut in the late fall/early winter? I'm thinking of:

-sunday - chest/tri
    -Monday - shoulder/bi
    -Tuesday - back
    -Wednesday - off
    -Thursday - off
    -Friday - legs
    -Saturday - ?

where should I work cardio into? how should I modify the above schedule? I know what worked for me in undergrad (not what is listed above), but I had a much easier schedule given my time and had a gym right down the street from my dorm.

any help would be great. thanks
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.

Last edited by cry_minarets458; 08-10-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #5306
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

I dig the split. Only suggestion would be to add dips. I love dips. As far as cardio goes, I don't do much (yes, flame away) but I would just do it on your days off or as a warm up for the workouts. I get all the cardio I need by limiting time in between sets drastically. Keeps me gassed throughout the workout, gets the blood flowing and myself soaked with sweat. I wouldn't sweat the extra pounds, it will come in handy when trying to make initial gains and put on muscle. If it's that big of a deal, just cut calories and add more cardio. I know none of this is "expert" type advice, just what has worked for me. Don't make it harder than it is, you seem to have a solid plan in place.

I'm switching from grouping back/bi and chest/tri to doing a chest/back day and an arms day with shoulder/legs staying grouped together. I'm curious to see what effects this will have.
    Old 08-11-2014, 04:53 AM   #5307
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

thanks, gonz. yeah, I have to add dips, but didn't want to go overboard with the first week back. (I'm already sore, though plus where the ulna forms my elbow joint --crazy popping action with flexion..gosh I hate being tight)

anyways, thanks for the other tips as well. I think I'm going to move biceps to back day and keep shoulders on a day of it's own since that's my favorite day, so I'm usually most motivated.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #5308
    fridge112887
    William Perry

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I'll post my suggestions later after the gym/work
    Old 08-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #5309
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Frustrating day at work. Technology being technology = not working how you want/expect it to. I cannot wait to go to the gym tonight and work out all this frustration.
    Old 08-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #5310
    artiej1120

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Hey guys, I want to start getting into making protein shakes. Anyone have a recommendation on the best powders for relatively cheap and someone just starting out? Any recipes are welcome too.
    artiej1120 is online now   Reply With Quote