**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread** - Page 498 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-31-2017, 12:51 PM   #14911
dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

When you say "mid-range" do you mean a turntable in the $2k range and around $3-4k for everything else?

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-31-2017, 01:08 PM   #14912
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pigsmarching8 View Post
    I know this has been asked before and I did some searching in this thread, but I am looking to finally play some of my vinyls that I have collected over the years and just need to know what to get. I have some money saved up, so I am looking for something mid-range but really don't know where to start. Could someone recommend a receiver, player, preamp and speaker setup that would be solid to start with? I really appreciate any of the help.
    I think I have a pretty solid setup and spent less than 1,000.

Here's mine:

Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC (White)

Preamp: Pro-Ject Audio - Phono Box MM - MM Phono Pre-amplifier - Black

Speakers: Audioengine A5+ (White)

All in, I spent less than 800$ and have a fantastic system. I went with smaller bookshelf speakers to save space, but this Audioengine speakers pack a big sound.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2017, 01:15 PM   #14913
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone have any info on the sonics of the Gin Blossoms 'New Miserable Experience' reissue that just came out? I love that album but I already have the CD so I don't need it again.

I'm seeing this version: https://www.amazon.com/Miserable-Exp...perience+vinyl

Which is a 2x45 remastered by Kevin Gray.

Is this version: https://www.amazon.com/New-Miserable...2EWRSPBFR4RD8D

The same mastering??

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2

Last edited by AlexK79; 03-31-2017 at 01:18 PM.
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2017, 01:18 PM   #14914
    pigsmarching8

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Dobyblue and Chadizzy1, thanks for all of the help throughout this thread and all over ants. You two rock!

Anyways, I was looking at the Pro-ject DC turntable to start getting into vinyl. My next question is what should I get for a receiver, and do I need a preamp, followed by what speakers you guys recommend. If you have any other recommendations besides that Pro-ject DC turntable I would love to hear them.

Since I am just getting into it, I would probably like to spend total less than $2K.

Thanks again for all of the help
    pigsmarching8 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2017, 01:18 PM   #14915
    pigsmarching8

My Tour Central Stats

Dobyblue and Chadizzy1, thanks for all of the help throughout this thread and all over ants. You two rock!

Anyways, I was looking at the Pro-ject DC turntable to start getting into vinyl. My next question is what should I get for a receiver, and do I need a preamp, followed by what speakers you guys recommend. If you have any other recommendations besides that Pro-ject DC turntable I would love to hear them.

Since I am just getting into it, I would probably like to spend total less than $2K.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:33 PM   #14916
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You can put together a really great system for $2k for sure. Figure you're spending $400-$500 on the Carbon?

Whether you need a preamp or not depends on whether your receiver/amp has a dedicated Phonostage or not. Most new receivers that you'll find at say, Best Buy, etc... will NOT. However with your budget you can probably buy a nice one from an audio retailer that does, and will sound great. These, for example:

https://www.musicdirect.com/receiver...tereo-receiver

https://www.musicdirect.com/integrat...integrated-amp

https://www.musicdirect.com/integrat...integrated-amp

(Really the only main difference between a receiver and amplifier is the receiver has a AM/FM receiver in it, the amplifiers don't.)

That leaves you around $1000 for speakers, which can get you a really nice pair. Examples:

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...er-speakers-pr

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...er-speakers-pr

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...s-714-rosewood

With a setup combining any combination of these (and there are certainly many other options out there) with your Carbon DC you'll be in sonic heaven!

Old 03-31-2017, 03:07 PM   #14917
    trpnbili40

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Search for post #14594 by BTBaboon it's a good start....have fun
    trpnbili40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2017, 03:41 PM   #14918
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trpnbili40 View Post
    Search for post #14594 by BTBaboon it's a good start....have fun
    For easy reference:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    I mean you could definitely do okay with 2-4 hundred, but 5-6 would really open things up. On the lower end, I'd definitely recommend going the vintage route - checking out local craigslist or local record stores and hi-fi shops to see what used gear they have

The basic gear you'll need will be a turntable, a phono preamplifier (or a receiver with a built-in pre-amp), and depending on the speakers you go with a receiver (if you go with passive speakers, which are probably more common, you will need a receiver). Alternatively you could skip the speakers and receiver if you wanted a headphone set-up; but having a speaker setup with a receiver would also allow you to plug in headphones when you can't blast through the speakers

If you're open to a bit higher budget, below are some new tables and gear I'd recommend

Turntable (look around online as some places may have better prices than what I've linked):

- U-Turn Orbit Basic: $179

- Pro-Ject Elemental: $229

- U-Turn Orbit Plus: $289

- Audio Technica LP120: $295 (stay away from the lesser LP60)

- Pro-Ject Debut III: $299

- Pro-Ject Essential II: $299

Phono Preamplifier:

- Art Pro DJPRE II: $49

- Pro-Ject Phono Box: $75

- U-Turn Pluto: $89

Receiver:

- There's a wide range here and you could also go vintage for this part while going new components for the rest. Brands like Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Marantz, Kenwood, etc all have decent offerings. Prices can range from $100-$1,000's for new units but you should be able to find something between $100-$200. Perhaps Doby or someone could give more input here?

Speakers:

- Again, a lot of variety here; whether bookshelf speakers or tower speakers. For a vinyl setup you'll only really need a left and right channel (no surround or subwoofer are needed). But some recommendations on bookshelf are below to keep the prices lower

- Edifier R128OT: $100 (these are powered, so you could skip the receiver)

- Polk Audio T15: $100

- Klipsch R-14M Reference Series: $150

So, going with new equipment, on the low end of what I listed would be ~$328 (U-Turn Basic, ART DJPRE, Powered Edifiers) and obviously can go as high as you want with what I listed or things I didn't that are more expensive and using passive speakers + a receiver

Hope that helps as a starter!
    However, it seems your budget is potentially much bigger (if $2K is your number), so you'd probably want to look at a few tables in the next range (Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Espirit would be a great starter table at ~$600) and then a bit better phono preamp/receiver/speaker set than what I had recommend to another user who was looking to stay between $300 and $500.

All really comes down to the budget you decide on though
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-01-2017, 04:12 AM   #14919
    pigsmarching8

My Tour Central Stats

Awesome and thanks for the help everyone! I think I'm going to get the Project DC Carbon turntable with the Pro-ject preamp with a Sonia 5 speaker. I can get all of that for around $800. I think I will upgrade from there when I have a little more room. Thoughts?
    Old 04-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #14920
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

If you have a little more wiggle room within that $2k I'd look at the Rega Planar 3. I've had my current TT since 2009 and have done some tweaks but never upgraded. In that same time I've upgraded all 5 of my speakers, have upgraded my television three times, upgraded my AVR (receiver) 3 times, upgraded my Blu-ray player twice, upgraded my TV PVR twice, etc., etc.

It lists at $1145 right now with the Rega Elys2 cartridge but Turntable Lab have it for $1170 with the well reviewed Ortofon 2M Blue - https://www.turntablelab.com/collect...2m-blue-bundle

I think either option is great. If you have a Rega dealer in your area they probably carry multiple manufacturers, listen to a record on the Carbon if they have one, listen on a Rega Planar 1 and on a Planar 3 keeping every other piece of equipment the same. If you don't hear an immediate difference that says "you can't live without me" then go with the lesser value one.

I'd definitely push for a TT in the $1k range, you won't regret it and the table itself won't leave you with upgraditis for a long time to come.

Last edited by dobyblue; 04-01-2017 at 09:44 AM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #14921
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Add an ELAC F5 tower for $550/pr, Pro-Ject phono for $79 and that leaves you $220 for an amp.
    Old 04-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #14922
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

I posted this on reddit, but figured I'd share here too. In honor of MLB's opening day, my NY Mets vinyl collection: http://imgur.com/a/j4bOi

It's one of the pure "memorabilia" parts of my record collection, although while the music is mostly awful at least the interviews and play by play pieces are pretty cool.
    Old 04-03-2017, 07:21 AM   #14923
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

The record store down from my place had one of their annual "Purgefest" events over the weekend. They had a few bins with stuff $2-5 plus 20% off everything in the store. It was some pretty choice stuff too. Led Zeppelin (Zoso), Rush (I picked up Permanent Waves for $4), Beatles (I saw one guy with about 8 Beatles albums), Paul McCartney (I picked up McCartney & Tug of War for $4 - combined), plus a ton of other great stuff. One girl spent $150 on just used albums from the bins. She had some Janis Joplin, Poison, Bob Marley, Beatles, Zeppelin, Stones, etc.

As I was putting all my new acquisitions into Discogs I realized that I bought a measly 44 albums in 2016 (I was averaging somewhere north of 100-150 in years prior). I'm already at 42 this year. Last year just wasn't a good year for collecting for me.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #14924
    rschlad04

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Vs and vitalogy remasters on sale for $15 on amazon if anyone is looking.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

"This is a love song, its more specifically about fucking" - DJM
    rschlad04 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #14925
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music on sale for $11

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J8JQ6NE..._uOB4yb3MFHXZA
    Old 04-05-2017, 05:50 AM   #14926
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Not sure if anyone here is a fan but I received a copy of the new Father John Misty album in the mail yesterday. I had never really been interested in Josh Tillman's music, whether with the Fleet Foxes or under the Father John Misty name, and wrote it off as mostly hipster garbage without really having ever listened to any of the music. However, his performance on SNL had me intrigued so when I saw a video of him unboxing the new album I figured "what the hell, why not?" and grab it.

It's one of the cooler packaging jobs I've ever seen on a record, and the molten look of the records themselves is pretty neat, here's a photo album of everything that came with it - https://imgur.com/a/VuBC7

The music is actually pretty good from what I've gotten through so far, and the sound quality is great. Appears that Chris Bellman cut it as his initials are in the deadwax.

Anyone else a fan of his music and have recommendations on his other albums/tunes?
    Old 04-05-2017, 07:02 AM   #14927
    mcorey0812

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Anyone else a fan of his music and have recommendations on his other albums/tunes?
    I actually checked him out after his SNL performance too!

Fear Fun is a pretty decent album, there's some great songs on there. My personal favorites are "This Is Sally Hatchet" and "Now I'm Learning to Love the War". "
    mcorey0812 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2017, 08:32 AM   #14928
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not sure if anyone here is a fan but I received a copy of the new Father John Misty album in the mail yesterday. I had never really been interested in Josh Tillman's music, whether with the Fleet Foxes or under the Father John Misty name, and wrote it off as mostly hipster garbage without really having ever listened to any of the music. However, his performance on SNL had me intrigued so when I saw a video of him unboxing the new album I figured "what the hell, why not?" and grab it.

It's one of the cooler packaging jobs I've ever seen on a record, and the molten look of the records themselves is pretty neat, here's a photo album of everything that came with it - https://imgur.com/a/VuBC7

The music is actually pretty good from what I've gotten through so far, and the sound quality is great. Appears that Chris Bellman cut it as his initials are in the deadwax.

Pure Comedy is pretty different from his other two. Can't go wrong with his first album, Fear Fun. His second album, I Love You, Honeybear is good as well. Fear Fun overall is a fantastic album, and my favorite of the 3. I believe both albums are on Youtube.

Edit: I didn't know it came with the Real Love Baby single. That package looks great.
    Old 04-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #14929
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTCS_JTR View Post
    Edit: I didn't know it came with the Real Love Baby single. That package looks great.
    Yeah, I haven't given it a spin yet but listened to the digital track which sounds decent.

Overall it was just a really well drawn up package, and the quality of everything is top notch. Was a nice surprise to see the 'CB' in the deadwax

Last edited by BTBaboon; 04-05-2017 at 08:49 AM.
    Old 04-05-2017, 09:39 AM   #14930
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

I forgot my hoist was the splatter version. That was a happy surprise.
    mcwyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #14931
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcwyffe View Post
    I forgot my hoist was the splatter version. That was a happy surprise.
    I reorganized my collection a few nights and ago and was reminded of albums I have in my collection that I truly forgot I even owned. It's funny how we forget what we actually own.
    Old 04-05-2017, 04:58 PM   #14932
    rschlad04

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Just found this at my local record shop, it's in great shape. Can't wait to give it a spin!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fbd1b73bfa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

"This is a love song, its more specifically about fucking" - DJM
    rschlad04 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2017, 10:35 PM   #14933
    jbombs16

Shows Seen: 53

My Tour Central Stats

ISO - Live Trax 1 Vinyl

Is anyone looking to sell a LT Vol 1 Vinyl - black or colored?
    jbombs16 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-06-2017, 04:58 AM   #14934
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ISO - Live Trax 1 Vinyl

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbombs16 View Post
    One just popped up for sale here a few weeks ago. It's the first LT1 I've seen for sale here in a while. You just missed it!
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-06-2017, 05:45 AM   #14935
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbombs16 View Post
    This one is on ebay for $299.99 but has a best offer option; would give it a shot. Offer like $200 and hope to end up somewhere in the middle

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dave-Matthew...sAAOSw3utY5CfD
    Old 04-06-2017, 06:09 AM   #14936
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    One just popped up for sale here a few weeks ago. It's the first LT1 I've seen for sale here in a while. You just missed it!
    i just missed it

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-07-2017, 01:44 PM   #14937
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Would anyone be willing to grab the Drive-By Truckers RSD release for me? Be more than happy to pay in advance via PayPal and of course cover shipping LMK thanks!

Old 04-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #14938
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Santana III spinning, cold brew in hand and laying deep in the couch.

Happy weekend, friends!
    Old 04-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #14939
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Santana III spinning, cold brew in hand and laying deep in the couch.

Happy weekend, friends!
    Are you on reddit? If so, check out the thread I've been doing over on the vinyl subreddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comme...7th_8th_share/

It's been a fun way to share good tunes and beer and see what other people are having and recommend.

Here's mine for tonight: http://i.imgur.com/evp2N6j.jpg
    Old 04-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #14940
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Apparently it's National Beer Day at least in both Canada and USA...twist my arm!