Star Wars: Episode VII (2015) - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #91
DMBZeppelin
OOH-WEE

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebz View Post
Disney will ruin this faster and more spectacularly than Lucas ever could. The Abrams film will probably be solid, but the spin offs and other properties will water down the brand beyond saving. It's nothing more than a merchandising opportunity for them. I'm a big Disney fan, but spin offs and prequels are giant red flags.
Disney has done a great job with Marvel. So many stand alone films all blending together perfectly for the Avengers.

I have zero doubt they can pull of a new trilogy and spinoff/standalone films that enrich and expand the universe.

Tour 2023: Deer Creek [6/30] [7/01]
DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-13-2013, 05:21 AM   #92
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Disney bankrolled Marvel, that's it. I've said this before: making an FX heavy comic book movie based on beloved existing characters is the easiest guarantee of success in movie history. What's amazing is not that Marvel thrived, it's that anyone ever considered this a risk.

I'll also say this about marvel movies: Iron Man and Thor are the only two good standalone films. Avengers was entertaining was not exactly good. Marvel makes money. They don't necessarily make great films. Ever do a devplan at work? Captain America didn't need to be a good film. It just needed to exist, because it was one step toward the Avengers printing press.

The new star wars has to have great films. Has to.

Last edited by Beebz; 02-13-2013 at 05:25 AM.
    Beebz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #93
    Beefsteak1138

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Not sure how I feel about the standalones yet, but I have confidence that VII will be very good with JJ Abrams at the helm.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #94
    Alazais
    Troy For Mayor

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Disney bankrolled Marvel, that's it. I've said this before: making an FX heavy comic book movie based on beloved existing characters is the easiest guarantee of success in movie history. What's amazing is not that Marvel thrived, it's that anyone ever considered this a risk.

I'll also say this about marvel movies: Iron Man and Thor are the only two good standalone films. Avengers was entertaining was not exactly good. Marvel makes money. They don't necessarily make great films. Ever do a devplan at work? Captain America didn't need to be a good film. It just needed to exist, because it was one step toward the Avengers printing press.

Sorry... Thor was good? What a waste of time that movie was. It was absolutely the worst Marvel movie i've ever seen.
    Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #95
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    Not sure how I feel about the standalones yet, but I have confidence that VII will be very good with JJ Abrams at the helm.
    Yeah, Abrams and Arndt should deliver. Outside of that I'm extremely skeptical.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alazais View Post
    Sorry... Thor was good? What a waste of time that movie was. It was absolutely the worst Marvel movie i've ever seen.
    Thor was an above average film, no doubt.

Captain America was terrible, Iron Mad 2 meh, Thor and Iron Man quite good.

Marvel's wading into some risky waters in the next 3-5 years. Sequels to Thor and Captain America with a third Iron Man before closing with Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy, two comics with almost no fanbase. Really interested to see how all those films perform. Only Iron Man 3 feels like a lock for fiscal success.
    Old 02-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #96
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmich176 View Post
    They haven't screwed up any of the Marvel movies. Why would they screw up Star Wars?
    Don't know if they were behind the first Spiderman that came out in 2002 but I loved it 10 years ago, but I tried watching it a couple weeks ago and I couldn't even finish it because it was so cheesey.

All super hero movies suck now compared to the Batman trilogy. The Marvel movies are just too cheesey for me. But that's how comic books are anyway so whatever.
    Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #97
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

They have to be great? Or what? And it's not like Lucas did an amazing job and yet Star Wars still thrives.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #98
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    They have to be great? Or what? And it's not like Lucas did an amazing job and yet Star Wars still thrives.
    They have to be good precisely because Lucas shit the bed. Star Wars is a brand. Brands can't survive more than one colossal screwup. Disney didn't shell out four billion dollars to buy a property risking irrelevance.

If the new movie stinks, the brand is in trouble. Fortunately, the bar is low and the talent involved is such that I can't imagine a disastrous end product.
    Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #99
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They have to be good precisely because Lucas shit the bed. Star Wars is a brand. Brands can't survive more than one colossal screwup. Disney didn't shell out four billion dollars to buy a property risking irrelevance.

If the new movie stinks, the brand is in trouble. Fortunately, the bar is low and the talent involved is such that I can't imagine a disastrous end product.
    Ep 1 was atrocious, Ep 2 wasn't very good at all, and Ep 3 was ONLY good because it played on our emotions of needing to see Vader...that scene where the mask is being lowered is possibly my favorite moment in movie history..at that point it wouldnt have mattered how Lucas did it, as long as he did it

so to your point, Star Wars survived a 20(?) yr break, and 2 1/2 very bad movies. There isnt much that can derail Star Wars, cuz even if the movies suck, they'll still focus enough towards kids that it will never die
    Old 02-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #100
    Beefsteak1138

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    Ep 1 was atrocious, Ep 2 wasn't very good at all, and Ep 3 was ONLY good because it played on our emotions of needing to see Vader...that scene where the mask is being lowered is possibly my favorite moment in movie history..at that point it wouldnt have mattered how Lucas did it, as long as he did it

so to your point, Star Wars survived a 20(?) yr break, and 2 1/2 very bad movies. There isnt much that can derail Star Wars, cuz even if the movies suck, they'll still focus enough towards kids that it will never die
    This is what I was going to post. Even though the last three were not critical successes, you can't say the brand is/was damaged in a business sense. The movies made an ass-ton of money and I'm sure a shit-ton more in merchandising, licensing etc...

Also, I can't wait to see these movies with my son and daughter. They will be at the perfect age when these start getting released.

Last edited by Beefsteak1138; 02-13-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    Old 02-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #101
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    This is what I was going to post. Even though the last three were not critical successes, you can't say the brand is/was damaged in a business sense. The movies made an ass-ton of money and I'm sure a shit-ton more in merchandising, licensing etc...

Also, I can't wait to see these movies with my son and daughter. They will be at the perfect age when these start getting released.
    Brands can survive one massive mistake. They can't survive a second. I dont think the new trilogy is going to suck, but if it did, you'd see the brand fall off.
    Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #102
    Beefsteak1138

My Tour Central Stats

That's my point. The prequels weren't a massive mistake.
    Old 02-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #103
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Half of me wants them to go with the Zahn books, the other half of me wouldn't mind new stories and new direction.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #104
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Brands can survive one massive mistake. They can't survive a second. I dont think the new trilogy is going to suck, but if it did, you'd see the brand fall off.
    Like was mentioned before, Disney didn't pay $4 billion just to tank the franchise. They have a lot riding on this. I'm not worried about them making a massive mistake. Star Wars is too strong of a brand anyway. Kids eat it up and that's where they probably make most of their money anyway with all the product licensing.
    Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #105
    Beefsteak1138

My Tour Central Stats

Exactly. Every toy store has a section devoted to Star Wars and there hasn't been a new SW movie in 8 years. Go to the clothing section of any department store and what do you see, SW shirts.
    Old 02-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #106
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    if youre counting 3 movies over the span of 6 years as ONE mistake.....

either way, they werent a mistake. the movies sucked but they grossed $1.2BB...not to mention merch
    Old 02-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #107
    VanHorneDog
    Loving Wings

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

As long as Williams comes out of retirement to do the score i dont care...
    Old 02-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #108
    fonzz41
    The Gabe Abides

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmich176 View Post
    They haven't screwed up any of the Marvel movies. Why would they screw up Star Wars?
    They haven't yet, I agree. But I worry they'll beat Marvel (and Star Wars) into the ground like they've done with others.

Pirates of the Carribean? The first was EXCELLENT, the second was ok, and they just shot the series down the pisser with the others.

Also, my daughter and I were looking at movies the other day and we found a Cinderella 3. CINDERELLA 3!!! Didn't they end it pretty well with the first? Since then I've found (straight to video) sequels to quite a few other Disney classics that were most certainly not done with the integrity of the story in mind, IMO.

That's what I worry about. Sure, Avengers was good, but what happens when we get to Avengers 3, 4, and 5? Or Iron Man 5? Or Spin-off trilogies for Hawk Eye and Black Widow? It's like, when there's money to be made, they don't know when to stop. That's what worries me most about this.
    Anyone that disagrees with Matty is wrong and should go fuck themselves.
    fonzz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #109
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    They haven't yet, I agree. But I worry they'll beat Marvel (and Star Wars) into the ground like they've done with others.

Pirates of the Carribean? The first was EXCELLENT, the second was ok, and they just shot the series down the pisser with the others.

Also, my daughter and I were looking at movies the other day and we found a Cinderella 3. CINDERELLA 3!!! Didn't they end it pretty well with the first? Since then I've found (straight to video) sequels to quite a few other Disney classics that were most certainly not done with the integrity of the story in mind, IMO.

That's what I worry about. Sure, Avengers was good, but what happens when we get to Avengers 3, 4, and 5? Or Iron Man 5? Or Spin-off trilogies for Hawk Eye and Black Widow? It's like, when there's money to be made, they don't know when to stop. That's what worries me most about this.
    To the bold, that ship sailed like 15 years ago with Star Wars when they reissued the digitally enhanced versions in the theatre. That being said, you don't have to love everything they make. You can pick and choose the ones you like and ignore the rest.

Anyway, I'm not worried at all. Abrams is not going to screw this up. If it weren't for the nostalgia factor of the original trilogy I wouldn't be surprised if these new ones rival them for the best in the franchise. I'm just basing that on the trend lately of old franchises being revamped in more dramatic and artistic ways.
    Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #110
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

Shows Seen: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Disney could make bad star wars movies after bad star wars movies and I wouldn't care IF, they cleaned up (picture-wise only) the original theatrical versions of the OT. I don't care about the digitally enhanced extra added scene crap. I want the original theatrical release on Blu-Ray. Now that Disney is at the reigns, this is our best chance for that to happen!
    Old 02-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #111
    THATEUS41
    Sexual Time Bomb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead36 View Post
    Disney could make bad star wars movies after bad star wars movies and I wouldn't care IF, they cleaned up (picture-wise only) the original theatrical versions of the OT. I don't care about the digitally enhanced extra added scene crap. I want the original theatrical release on Blu-Ray. Now that Disney is at the reigns, this is our best chance for that to happen!
    I know! Lucas not releasing the original is one of the weirdest stories in cinema. I never understood not giving the fans what they want.
    Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #112
    fonzz41
    The Gabe Abides

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    To the bold, that ship sailed like 15 years ago with Star Wars when they reissued the digitally enhanced versions in the theatre. That being said, you don't have to love everything they make. You can pick and choose the ones you like and ignore the rest.

Anyway, I'm not worried at all. Abrams is not going to screw this up. If it weren't for the nostalgia factor of the original trilogy I wouldn't be surprised if these new ones rival them for the best in the franchise. I'm just basing that on the trend lately of old franchises being revamped in more dramatic and artistic ways.
    Absolutely agree to the bolded.

I'm definitely hoping for the best.
    Anyone that disagrees with Matty is wrong and should go fuck themselves.
    fonzz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #113
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

Shows Seen: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by THATEUS41 View Post
    I know! Lucas not releasing the original is one of the weirdest stories in cinema. I never understood not giving the fans what they want.
    Because according to Lucas the "enhanced" versions were his "original" vision that he couldn't do because of monetary restrictions. Never mind the fact that they were fine the way they were and the fans LOVED them and have been ASKING for them.

I get wanting to be all artsy fartsy and show your "vision". That's fine. But at least give us the OPTION to say "No thanks, George. We want the originals like we remember them as kids". I don't need special behind the scenes featurettes or commentary from the assistant dp. Just put out the OT on Blu-Ray, cleaned up picture-wise (MAYBE a 5.1 mix but preferably stereo). Sell them for $20 a disc and also release them in a bundle for $55. They would make a killing!
    Old 02-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #114
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead36 View Post
    Considering the unaltered versions were released on DVD in 2006, I'm sure the unaltered versions will be released on Blu-ray at some point.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #115
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post

After the success of Pirates 1, they turned 2 and 3 into a trilogy just like a whole slew of major movies have. As for the fourth movie, I'm fairly certain that while Disney was interested in making it, Depp really wanted to see it happen. Bruckheimer indicated they could do a Pirates spin-off after Pirates 3, but instead it was Pirates 4.

I don't know how you can be concerned with the integrity of comic book movie stories. Comic book stories notoriously have no integrity to them. They've all been retconned in some fashion at one point or another, or outrightly rebooted, in the case of the DC Universe.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-15-2013, 03:14 AM   #116
    Joruus
    The Binge

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

George Lucas has a knack for envisioning some great stuff, but his execution and direction suck. ESB had an awesome writer, director, and executive producer that converted George's vision to what was on screen. ROTJ had a weak director with George basically running the show. It was good, but not great. The prequel trilogy was George unfiltered with a "yes-man" executive producer. Rick McCallum's job was to reign in George, find a capable director and have someone clean up the script. He didn't do that.

The Star Wars franchise is in excellent hand with Kathleen Kennedy. She has some awesome credits as executive producer. George has laid out the vision for the future and other people (also with some great credentials) will convert it to something excellent on screen.
    Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #117
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joruus View Post
    George Lucas has a knack for envisioning some great stuff, but his execution and direction suck. ESB had an awesome writer, director, and executive producer that converted George's vision to what was on screen. ROTJ had a weak director with George basically running the show. It was good, but not great. The prequel trilogy was George unfiltered with a "yes-man" executive producer. Rick McCallum's job was to reign in George, find a capable director and have someone clean up the script. He didn't do that.

The Star Wars franchise is in excellent hand with Kathleen Kennedy. She has some awesome credits as executive producer. George has laid out the vision for the future and other people (also with some great credentials) will convert it to something excellent on screen.
    This. That's why I'm not worried. The material is there and in the right creative hands it can be molded into something great. I'm confident in the people Disney has put on this so far. I'd actually be more concerned if Lucas was in control again for making 3 new movies.
    Old 02-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #118
    DoDaFoo
    I'll do the same

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Harrison Ford is in for Episode VII

http://screencrush.com/star-wars-epi...ford-han-solo/

2024 - D&T Mexico for my 100th show! + Pine Knob, SPAC, Gorge, and Bourbon & Beyond
    DoDaFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #119
    javierm27

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoDaFoo View Post
    Harrison Ford is in for Episode VII

http://screencrush.com/star-wars-epi...ford-han-solo/
    Awesome! Really looking forward to this movie.
    javierm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #120
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

My Tour Central Stats

That info hasn't been confirmed by anyone.