Weightlifting - Page 126 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #3751
Rodey
Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyne View Post
im kidding, whatever floats your boat. the occasional callus doesnt bother me.

Last week i started taking OMR. Every since the first time i took a PWO (SP250) they really havent done anything for me. Ive tried SP Max, Jack3d, Shotgun and SP 250 for a second time and even then, it wasnt as good as the first time . oh well. I guess im "tolerant" to caffeine even though i rarely drink coffee/soda/power drinks and dont feel much even when i do.

btw - ive tried those PWOs over the course of probably 3 years never consecutively
I'm pretty resistant to PWO's as well. I just ordered MusclePharm Assault, so I'm interested to see how that one works out for me. The only thing I've ever taken pre-workout (although it's not a PWO per se) is Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy. It's the only thing that's consistently given me energy and that extra kick.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #3752
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Either Sunday happened to be New Years again or it's spring break at many colleges because my gym was packed last night. It was crazy.
    Styx Cover Band is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #3753
    comeandsee41

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

i know its better to take a casein shake before bed, but is taking a whey shake that much worse?

i usually take my whey protein shake (milk, 2 scoops of ON whey chocolate powder, spoon of peanut butter, and a banana) about 30mins-1hour before bed. is that ok?
    Old 02-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #3754
    Jimi Thing 10

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Dude, you're going to die.
    Jimi Thing 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #3755
    water_into_wine

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I need to get back to lifting. Have kind of had a two week break from the lifting aspect as I've switched my routine to running outside. Now after running I never want to go through my routine of hitting up weights and abs after.

Good thing is, that my running is going great and I'm continuing to lose weight. Hit my longest run today at a pace that is normal for me, which is great. Also last time I did do just a few lifts (about a week ago) I did seem to maintain my strength. Hopefully I can develop into a better weekly routine though I have been incredibly busy as of late and I'm not sure if that will change.
    water_into_wine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #3756
    fridge112887
    William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comm...th_and/c3wafx4
    Old 03-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #3757
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Muscle & Strength is doing 10% off everything in recognition of Arnold weekend. And still the 2 dollar shipping if I'm not mistaken.
    Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #3758
    Devilspawn
    Devil's poser ego

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

I might actually get back to the gym tonight... I've missed it so...
    Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #3759
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

I absolutely love Assault. Best PWO I've used, granted I haven't used many.
    Old 03-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #3760
    Devilspawn
    Devil's poser ego

My Tour Central Stats

btw... myofusion probiotic series choco peanut butter is not that good in my opinion... now I have 2 choco peanut butter jugs that I don't really care for... batting 0-2 right now... might have to go back to the syntha-6 for choco peanut butter fix although I haven't tried ON yet...
    Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #3761
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

ON's chocolate peanut butter casein is really good. That's all I've ever tried though.
    Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #3762
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Devilspawn View Post
    btw... myofusion probiotic series choco peanut butter is not that good in my opinion... now I have 2 choco peanut butter jugs that I don't really care for... batting 0-2 right now... might have to go back to the syntha-6 for choco peanut butter fix although I haven't tried ON yet...
    What size are they? I got an unopened 5lb. Chocolate Intrapro if you want to do a trade for one of them. I still have a ton of chocolate protein lol.

I thought XF's Chocolate Peanut Butter protein was amazing, but for the price tag there's better options imo.
    Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #3763
    mattyande

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

My buddy has a very interesting approach to fitness, and I really appreciate his view. I think some of you may enjoy it as well.

http://m.tkskettlebells.com/apps/blog
    Old 03-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #3764
    Devilspawn
    Devil's poser ego

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crush086 View Post
    What size are they? I got an unopened 5lb. Chocolate Intrapro if you want to do a trade for one of them. I still have a ton of chocolate protein lol.

I thought XF's Chocolate Peanut Butter protein was amazing, but for the price tag there's better options imo.

2 5lb jugs... I just opened the probiotic last week... I've been dealing with the elite gourmet... I would say half gone...

the probiotic has a really bad chemical aftertaste in my opinion... the elite gourmet is just not good...

thanks for the offer... I'll deal with them and chalk it up to experience... I'm taking DAA right now which makes any shake taste bitter anyways so I'm chugging everything...

I need to try XF... heard great things about them...
    Old 03-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #3765
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

I'm at a weird point in the re-shaping of my body. Have lost even more weight this semester (a month and a half basically) at an even more rapid pace. Now am approaching 40lbs lost since the middle of the summer (35 since the beginning of the school year) and that will leave me at 170lbs. Now as I've said before in here, I've been cutting quite a bit and mostly focus on cardio and running. The thing is, I still have some of the love handles that I want to lose, but I don't want to go lower than 165 (I'm 5'9'' with a stockier frame as btw). How am I supposed to get this balance of still losing the fat but bulking up? Do I focus more on gaining muscle and the fat will just be converted into muscle or do I continue with all the cutting until the fat is gone and then start trying to bulk up?

I still want to run 4 times a week (because I think I want to do a half marathon this summer) but I just want to start bulking up the muscle, but I don't know how I should change my diet to do so. Not to mention that it will be weird eating more again, because right now I'm just not very hungry to eat more so it will be weird forcing that. It's not like I've been starving myself when I've been cutting in my diet.

Not sure if all this makes sense.

Also if anyone has a good ab routine, I'd like to see it. My abs are stronger than when I started the year but I'm never sore anymore and don't think my abs are getting pushed anymore.
    Old 03-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #3766
    Jimi Thing 10

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by water_into_wine View Post
    I'm at a weird point in the re-shaping of my body. Have lost even more weight this semester (a month and a half basically) at an even more rapid pace. Now am approaching 40lbs lost since the middle of the summer (35 since the beginning of the school year) and that will leave me at 170lbs. Now as I've said before in here, I've been cutting quite a bit and mostly focus on cardio and running. The thing is, I still have some of the love handles that I want to lose, but I don't want to go lower than 165 (I'm 5'9'' with a stockier frame as btw). How am I supposed to get this balance of still losing the fat but bulking up? Do I focus more on gaining muscle and the fat will just be converted into muscle or do I continue with all the cutting until the fat is gone and then start trying to bulk up?

I still want to run 4 times a week (because I think I want to do a half marathon this summer) but I just want to start bulking up the muscle, but I don't know how I should change my diet to do so. Not to mention that it will be weird eating more again, because right now I'm just not very hungry to eat more so it will be weird forcing that. It's not like I've been starving myself when I've been cutting in my diet.

Also if anyone has a good ab routine, I'd like to see it. My abs are stronger than when I started the year but I'm never sore anymore and don't think my abs are getting pushed anymore.
    The love handles are hard to lose. I would cut down the last 5 lbs to 165 then do a slow bulk. You'll still have the fat, but if you bulk right it'll appear to be less since your lats and legs will be bigger. Or try AAS and gain muscle while losing the fat . Given your previous body type and your reluctant to dive right back into a lot a food again. You can try the old school bodybuilding style diet of lots of chicken, rice, and veggies.
    Jimi Thing 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #3767
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Soreness is not necessarily a sign of your muscles not getting a good enough workout. Don't let that fool you.

That said, try weighted stuff ab exercises.
    Old 03-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #3768
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I don't have much advise on your cut/bulk questions, but if you're looking for a good ab routine, I'd recommend doing Ab Ripper X three times a week.

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #3769
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Holy fuck I forgot how much I hated Spartacus.
    Old 03-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #3770
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimi Thing 10 View Post
    The love handles are hard to lose. I would cut down the last 5 lbs to 165 then do a slow bulk. You'll still have the fat, but if you bulk right it'll appear to be less since your lats and legs will be bigger. Or try AAS and gain muscle while losing the fat . Given your previous body type and your reluctant to dive right back into a lot a food again. You can try the old school bodybuilding style diet of lots of chicken, rice, and veggies.
    Yeah, that sounds like I what I will do. I'll just kick up lifting and eating more once I get to 165. If my love handles aren't gone by that point, I'm not going to worry as much because its not like I'm going to force myself down to 155-160 just to get rid of them.

I'm loving running right now, but it should be fun to add lifting into the mix.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    Soreness is not necessarily a sign of your muscles not getting a good enough workout. Don't let that fool you.

That said, try weighted stuff ab exercises.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
    I don't have much advise on your cut/bulk questions, but if you're looking for a good ab routine, I'd recommend doing Ab Ripper X three times a week.
    I'll check out doing those two. I guess my main point was that when I saw my biggest gains in abs I was sore, and that my gains had slowed down. Also more than anything that I needed to change my ab routine because I'm mostly bored with mine currently.
    Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #3771
    rangel0004
    December 21, 2012

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Holy fuck I forgot how much I hated Spartacus.
    6th week doing it now....still fucking sucks as much as the first week. Granted I have bumped up the weight a little bit.
    Old 03-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #3772
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rangel0004 View Post
    6th week doing it now....still fucking sucks as much as the first week. Granted I have bumped up the weight a little bit.
    I only did two sets of it before saying fuck it and hopping on the exercise bike for a bit.

That's a lot longer than I ever did it. I did it I think for two weeks consistently. Are you seeing some good results?
    Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #3773
    rangel0004
    December 21, 2012

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I only did two sets of it before saying fuck it and hopping on the exercise bike for a bit.

That's a lot longer than I ever did it. I did it I think for two weeks consistently. Are you seeing some good results?
    Ya man I was just looking to tone up a little bit, dropped from 214 to 210 (I'm 6'3 and still lift 3 days a week so I'm really not looking to lose to much weight).

I might tone it down to 2 times a week in a little here but it's such a great workout that I kinda just want to keep up with the 3 times a week.

How long you planning on doing it?
    Old 03-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #3774
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Not sure, but it sounds like I'm in a similar boat. I plan on throwing it in twice a week while lifting the other days.
    Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #3775
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Also Black Tony, what's your diet look like? I assume since you've been trying to lose weight, you've been pretty strict on the calories. Once you hit your goal weight and starting lifting, you'll definitely want to eat more if you want to put on some muscle, especially if you'll still be running four times a week. I also remember you mentioning not liking supplements, which is fine, but it'll be tougher to meet your protein needs, so you'll need to make sure you're eating a lot of eggs, chicken, fish, lean beef, etc.
    Old 03-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #3776
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Ab ripper X from P90x is amazing, best ab workout I've ever done. Crunchy frog after bicycles just kills. And then Fifer scissors is a laugh and a half of pain. All the lower ab work is just great. It's a real good setup of one exercise to the next too.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #3777
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Also Black Tony, what's your diet look like? I assume since you've been trying to lose weight, you've been pretty strict on the calories. Once you hit your goal weight and starting lifting, you'll definitely want to eat more if you want to put on some muscle, especially if you'll still be running four times a week. I also remember you mentioning not liking supplements, which is fine, but it'll be tougher to meet your protein needs, so you'll need to make sure you're eating a lot of eggs, chicken, fish, lean beef, etc.
    Yeah, mostly in my diet I've kept my calories limited, stayed away from sweets, unhealthy snacks, carbs, red meat, and fats (especially cheesy stuff). I mostly eat turkey, chicken, and fish for dinner with rice and veggies on the side. Greek yogurt and cereal in the morning, and a small sandwich and soup at lunch. I snack on fruit during the day. Like I was saying before, I really don't know how I'll put more food in me because as of right now I'm not that hungry for more. Good problem to have I guess
    Old 03-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #3778
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

And holy shit, that Ab Ripper killed me. Granted I did it after a run that was tougher than usual, but I only got halfway through and barely at that (was losing a lot of technique so I stopped). I was feeling it mostly in my thighs and hip flexors though. Should I just continue doing it for as long as I can properly or forcing myself through to the end even if I lose technique?
    Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #3779
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    And holy shit, that Ab Ripper killed me. Granted I did it after a run that was tougher than usual, but I only got halfway through and barely at that (was losing a lot of technique so I stopped). I was feeling it mostly in my thighs and hip flexors though. Should I just continue doing it for as long as I can properly or forcing myself through to the end even if I lose technique?
    as tony says, if you need the break, take the break! no but for real, if you can't get through it, just pause it until you are ready to go again. definitely don't wanna lose the technique. at least that's what I used to do when first started it.

It really is amazing how fast you see progress though if you stick with it, even after just a couple times doing it. and by progress I mean how it gets easier each time you do it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #3780
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

i recently started working at a gym and employees get a free membership. i was never really one for working out, but i want to take advantage of having everything at my disposal for free. i talked to the trainer today and he set me up with a program, and while i need to meet with him again to discuss some details, i figured i'd ask you guys for some suggestions and opinions.

the diet/nutrition part of the program is going to be the biggest obstacle for me. he wants me eating a big breakfast, a medium sized lunch, a small dinner, a snack, and a protein shake every day and taking in at least 3,000 calories. of course, that is the exact opposite of how i normally eat. breakfast is rare as i usually don't wake up until almost lunch time, and dinner is always big, with unhealthy snacking done all night.

he said i need to be eating a lot of eggs, chicken, turkey, greens, whole grains, etc, which i'm fine with eating SOME of the time, but not constantly. there is no way i can cut red meat and potatoes out of my diet.

when i meet with him again we'll talk more about the diet, but i want some suggestions from you guys about what you eat for this kind of diet. breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, everything. i need suggestions for different meals and getting to 3,000+ calories a day.

Last edited by spoot388; 03-08-2012 at 02:58 PM.
    spoot388 is offline   Reply With Quote