**Official Running Thread** - Page 96 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #2851
MDPrompter
Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Running Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
Anyone have a fix for burning nips during longer runs? Anytime I do over 3 miles, the mixture of sweat and friction on my t-shirt leads to red burning. I'm generally at a gym, so shirtless is not an option.
I always run with a compression shirt and compression shorts underneath my regular shorts/shirt when I run long. I've never had an issue. Keeps everything in place, keeps the love handles from jiggling too much, and prevents chafing.
MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-23-2016, 05:32 AM   #2852
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

first speed workout of 2016 this morning

1 mile warm up
    6 minutes at ~marathon pace (8:30)
    5 minutes at ~half marathon pace (7:50)
    4 minutes at ~10k pace (7:30)
    3 minutes at ~8k pace ( 7:00)
    2 minutes at ~5k pace (6:40)
    1 minute at ~3k pace (5:40)
    1 mile cool down

with a 1-2 minute rest between the intervals. i don't really know what my pace is for some of these particular distances but it was a good workout, made me focus on not going out too fast in the beginning. ended up being 5 miles. only big con is that it's tedious (pay attention to the clock) and you need some sort of gps watch to tell you your pace. kicked my ass tho
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2016, 05:56 AM   #2853
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

How long in total time does that take?

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2016, 06:03 AM   #2854
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

it was about 45-50 minutes. watch said 45 minutes but i paused it a few times when i was resting
    Old 06-24-2016, 04:42 AM   #2855
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

has anyone read the book Born to Run? it's incredible, whether you're a runner or not

one of the most interesting things to me is how nowadays, we are all so obsessed with finding the "perfect" shoe for our foot. we worry about overpronating. we worry about overtraining. we try to carefully calculate X miles a week to not get injured.

in the 1970s, marathon runners didn't know about "burn out". they were too ignorant to know if they were overtrained. shoes didn't have fancy jargon, there was no arch control or special cushion. and the crazy thing is, those old-time runners were running REALLY fast. early 1980s, boston alone had a dozen guys that could run a 2:12 marathon. in the 2000s, you couldn't find a single athlete in the entire COUNTRY that could run a 2:12.
    Old 06-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #2856
    rustysurf83

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I feel like the shoe "trend" is starting to go the other way recently. I have seen a few people running (competitively) in Teva Sandals during my last couple long runs & have seen more and more wearing minimalist shoes in ultra events, instead of the clunky types I used to see 5 years ago. I have used a zero drop shoe for everything for quite a while. My opinion is that instead of picking a shoe that puts a band-aid on issues with excessive cushioning, shape, etc; go minimal, find out what your actual issues are, and fix the root cause. I also think that heavy (and I mean HEAVY) strength training is very undervalued in the running community, not necessarily for the elites, but certainly for the recreational runners like us. I firmly believe that I can get away with "inadequate" training, quickly recover from ultras, and murder challenging courses because I follow a strength program that includes squats twice a week and deadlifts every Wednesday.

Last edited by rustysurf83; 06-24-2016 at 09:18 PM.
    rustysurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #2857
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

So went to the doc this morning. Stress fracture in my ankle. 4 weeks in a walking boot. Apparently I've had it since April. He said it should have healed on it's own but I didn't give it enough rest so he had to "shut me down" by putting me in a boot.

I really think this all goes back to my shoes. He said I have high arches and when the spot began hurting my shoes were fairly worn in (about 7 months) so I'm thinking it's the result of my shoes being worn down.

Guess once I get cleared I'm gonna drop some cash on some quality sneaks. Learned my lesson the hard way.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2016, 03:49 AM   #2858
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

trying to build up my heat tolerance by sprinkling in 2-3 mid-day runs throughout the week. i am SO bad in the heat. any tips for this?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    So went to the doc this morning. Stress fracture in my ankle. 4 weeks in a walking boot. Apparently I've had it since April. He said it should have healed on it's own but I didn't give it enough rest so he had to "shut me down" by putting me in a boot.

I really think this all goes back to my shoes. He said I have high arches and when the spot began hurting my shoes were fairly worn in (about 7 months) so I'm thinking it's the result of my shoes being worn down.

Guess once I get cleared I'm gonna drop some cash on some quality sneaks. Learned my lesson the hard way.
    stress fracture.. damn. i wish you a speedy recovery
    Old 07-07-2016, 06:45 AM   #2859
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    trying to build up my heat tolerance by sprinkling in 2-3 mid-day runs throughout the week. i am SO bad in the heat. any tips for this?
    Been doing the same thing, this morning was tough. Already high 70's with high humidity at 6:30 am. Ugh. Just keeping hydrated before, during and after the run is all you can do. I keep hearing that it takes a couple weeks to get the body assimilated to the conditions. Just sucks between now and then.
    Old 07-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #2860
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    stress fracture.. damn. i wish you a speedy recovery
    Thank ya

Sitting still has about drove me insane, can anyone recommend any exercises I could do while in a boot? I'm nervous to try weightlifting since I'd be putting so much weight on my ankle and yoga is impossible since the boot keeps me off level.
    Old 07-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #2861
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thank ya

Sitting still has about drove me insane, can anyone recommend any exercises I could do while in a boot? I'm nervous to try weightlifting since I'd be putting so much weight on my ankle and yoga is impossible since the boot keeps me off level.
    Stationary bike maybe, and if that works maybe low impact spin where you don't have to stand up. Tough to find exercises that keep the ankle immobile but allow for aerobic exercise.
    Old 07-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #2862
    cside

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    has anyone read the book Born to Run? it's incredible, whether you're a runner or not
    Thanks for the recommendation! I just finished it, and it is incredible and a great read!

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    Been doing the same thing, this morning was tough. Already high 70's with high humidity at 6:30 am. Ugh. Just keeping hydrated before, during and after the run is all you can do. I keep hearing that it takes a couple weeks to get the body assimilated to the conditions. Just sucks between now and then.
    You are both a lot tougher than I am. I have been getting up to run before 5:30 am, to try and beat the heat. My long run is usually on Sunday, and I am hoping it will cool down a little by then.

Quote:
    Thank ya

It drives me insane too, so I know what you mean! Lifting with free weights for your upper body, you can do them seated or with the knee of your fractured ankle resting on a chair. There are some yoga poses you can do as well - seated and reclined poses. It is hard to do cardio when you are in the boot, but once it is off - cycling is a good place to start.
    cside is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2016, 04:49 PM   #2863
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

So I've picked up my running and now have an actual during running annoyance:

Shin splits. Right leg, same leg as my plantar faciatis. At least the plantar is more in the morning and when I'm not running. This Shin splint is a pain the more I run.

Any good way to deal with Shin splints?

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2016, 03:33 AM   #2864
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thank ya

sitting still would drive me insane too. there's definitely stuff you can do, probably easier if you have a gym membership though. find out if you can take the boot off for an hour for your exercise, and double check that you're cleared for biking. you can also do swimming, rowing, UB weight circuits, core work. take advantage of this time to do things you wouldn't normally do- spend extra time on stretching and core. core is everything!!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    So I've picked up my running and now have an actual during running annoyance:

Shin splits. Right leg, same leg as my plantar faciatis. At least the plantar is more in the morning and when I'm not running. This Shin splint is a pain the more I run.

Any good way to deal with Shin splints?
    unfortunately, shin splints occur a lot when people pick up running again. you likely were doing too much too soon. shame on you for being eager

the pain of a shin splint should be more generalized, and will hurt a lot of you flex your foot. if it's a stress fracture, it's more localized to 1 point

treatment protocol is basically to stop running and ice to reduce the inflammation. the quicker you are to back off of running, the quicker it will heal.

here's a treatment to address the plantar and the shin splints-

-freeze a plastic water bottle. 3x a day (in the morning, home from work, and before bed), roll your foot over the plastic water bottle. this helps for inflammation and stretching out your plantar
    -do achilles stretches 3x a day, this is stuff you can do in the work office too (if you're at a stair case, hold onto the rail and put your toes at the end of the step. let your ankle drop down ... youll feel the stretch)
    -ice shin splints for 20 minutes at least 2x a day. when youre lounging
    -do at least a week of cross training (biking, swimming, rowing, weights, core stuff.. anything but running). then try running for 10 minutes and see how it feels. if it still hurts, back off for another week

when most people get these injuries, they usually just stop running and don't do anything to treat the injury. if you truly want to get back into it, you have to put in the effort to address the issues

Last edited by laura22; 07-08-2016 at 03:35 AM.
    Old 07-08-2016, 03:34 AM   #2865
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

i'm so fucking glad my plantar fasicitiis went away. the water bottle trick cured me
    Old 07-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #2866
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cside View Post
    It drives me insane too, so I know what you mean! Lifting with free weights for your upper body, you can do them seated or with the knee of your fractured ankle resting on a chair. There are some yoga poses you can do as well - seated and reclined poses. It is hard to do cardio when you are in the boot, but once it is off - cycling is a good place to start.
    Quote:
    sitting still would drive me insane too. there's definitely stuff you can do, probably easier if you have a gym membership though. find out if you can take the boot off for an hour for your exercise, and double check that you're cleared for biking. you can also do swimming, rowing, UB weight circuits, core work. take advantage of this time to do things you wouldn't normally do- spend extra time on stretching and core. core is everything!!
    I have a gym membership and thought about doing some more upper body stuff. I did arms the other day and was doing pretty good until I did some standing exercises. That really hurt. I'm just a little concerned of picking up free weights and carrying them on my ankle.

But y'all are right. I may take the time to do some core work. I never get enough of that and most of is stuff I don't have to do on my ankle. I wish I still had access to a pool. That'd be best.
    Old 07-10-2016, 04:49 AM   #2867
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

when your brother texts you, "will you run the austin marathon with me in february?"

yes yes yes yes
    Old 07-10-2016, 06:10 AM   #2868
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    when your brother texts you, "will you run the austin marathon with me in february?"

yes yes yes yes

Awesome, great time of year for distance!

Looking forward to the Olympic Trials tonight, local girl Abbey D'Agostino trying to make the team in the 5K
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #2869
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone know of a good iPhone app that you can turn on when it tracks your movements, time spent exercising, and then can export it as a log? Through my employer, I'm eligible for health rewards and can earn like an extra $200 a year just by turning in paperwork for something I do anyways (exercising)
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #2870
    rustysurf83

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Oldest is at camp and +1 is out of town for work so ran a 5k with my youngest daughter yesterday. She doesn't have quite the competitive fire of her sister yet, but we had fun and finished so I will consider that a victory for a soon to be 5 year old. I'm fairly sure that the Otter Pops and slip and slide at the end were what got her through the entire race. Got a couple of 5k "series" that we will run as a family and I hope to do a couple more ultras when I get back from Europe in the fall (maybe I can find a run or two over there, that would be fairly legit). A few of us are kicking around the idea of stepping up to a 100k, but I'm going to have to start to travel farther and farther to find races that long so we'll see...Wife is still on track for her first marathon in Vegas this November, so that should be a good time.
    rustysurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-29-2016, 05:25 AM   #2871
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I've decided it's too F'ing hot to run right now. I'm 34, and that shit aint worth it. I've switched to biking for now and will try for another 1/2 in Oct or Nov. I figure if I stay in shape via bike, I should only need 4-5 weeks or so of prep.
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #2872
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Do most running stores charge a fitting fee for correct shoe size, etc.? How much is a typical cost for something like that?
    Old 07-29-2016, 09:52 AM   #2873
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Do most running stores charge a fitting fee for correct shoe size, etc.? How much is a typical cost for something like that?
    The ones that I am aware of only charge for the fitting if you don't buy a pair of shoes when they fit you or you do a more extensive fitting, like running on a treadmill or other tests. The one store I used to go to charged $25 if you didn't buy a pair of shoes, but not sure if that is high or low.
    Old 07-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #2874
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdmarvich View Post
    I've decided it's too F'ing hot to run right now. I'm 34, and that shit aint worth it. I've switched to biking for now and will try for another 1/2 in Oct or Nov. I figure if I stay in shape via bike, I should only need 4-5 weeks or so of prep.
    You just have to give it time and let your body adapt. I am 42 and it takes longer every year for my body to acclimate but once I do, I can get out there and not suffer too much.
    Old 08-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #2875
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

been focusing on my form lately

i normally take really long strides which i've been trying to fix. shorter, quicker steps is an easy way to get better at distance and speed... or so i've read. less time on the ground, it's more economical. an easy way to dive into this is to count how many times your right foot hits the ground in 20 seconds, and then multiply it by 3. aim for 80-90 strides a minute. i think i read in scott jurek's book that basically every single distance runner and sprint runner do 90-100 strides per minute. it can be uncomfortable at first but your body will adapt
    Old 08-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #2876
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    been focusing on my form lately

i normally take really long strides which i've been trying to fix. shorter, quicker steps is an easy way to get better at distance and speed... or so i've read. less time on the ground, it's more economical. an easy way to dive into this is to count how many times your right foot hits the ground in 20 seconds, and then multiply it by 3. aim for 80-90 strides a minute. i think i read in scott jurek's book that basically every single distance runner and sprint runner do 90-100 strides per minute. it can be uncomfortable at first but your body will adapt
    Thanks for sharing that. I'm not back into running yet but one thing I'm gonna focus on when I get back is my form.
    Old 09-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #2877
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

I think the end of summer running, at least in the NE, is near. The humidity this summer has been unbearable at times. That coupled with some nice heat waves has made for a tough summer of training. I know most of our SE runners won't add any sympathy as summer down there is never ending, along with humidity, but very much looking forward to autumn/winter running.

So did everyone survive summer running/training?
    Old 09-20-2016, 11:22 AM   #2878
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Started my first decrease week leading up the Chicago marathon and it felt great today to only have to run a 5k.

jayman414 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #2879
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayman414 View Post
    Started my first decrease week leading up the Chicago marathon and it felt great today to only have to run a 5k.
    Know 4-5 people that are running Chicago, all did their final long run this past weekend, and said the same exact thing you just did. The joy of tapering.
    Old 10-17-2016, 06:34 AM   #2880
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

went to a running speciality store yesterday to get some input. found out i was buying my brooks a size too small

im going to sign up for the virginia beach marathon this week (in march). really excited. just going to follow a hal higdon 18 week plan instead of trying to formulate my own

anyone have any fall races? winter?