Under-rated DMB songs - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 11-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #61
cooke726

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Under-rated DMB songs

Pay for What You Get is the most underrated DMB song in my opinion
cooke726 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #62
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

The Riff - I still believe this is the strongest studio track. It's such a journey from start to finish.
    Gaucho - Also the best representation of the personalities of each of the band members.
    Spaceman - did not get enough love as the return to the classic DMB sound.
    Trouble - this, Dodo, and Too High it really is a shame never hit the full band.
    Fool To Think - I'm glad it gets the dust blown off every now and then, but it really is a strong tune. Just not a improv showcase tune.

Raven - I was way more into the Lillywhites arrangement and vocal direction of Raven, BS kind of took it off my care about list. Same with Joy Ride, the Stand Up version kind of ruined it.

There are several songs that if they played differently would get a lot more love. Angel, for instance. If they took it more straight blues, even Dave solo playing it Robert Johnson style, could be great. But instead it's this droning, lilting thing with a live outro that goes waaaaay too long that makes people realize that the line for the bathroom isn't as long as they thought. If it was a straight ahead blues, horns and violins for accent only, no improvisation outside of bluesy guitar riffs ... it could be a solid midset break between longer jams.

Stand Up (For It) would get more love easily if it was just an outro or breakdown in Recently or Ants. Instead it's an outro jam that thinks it's a song. but it is fun.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #63
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dodo36 View Post
    Gaucho - Also the best representation of the personalities of each of the band members.
    Surprised to see Gaucho make an appearance here. What are its redeeming qualities? Minus the army of kids, obviously
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #64
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The Riff - I still believe this is the strongest studio track. It's such a journey from start to finish.
    Spaceman - did not get enough love as the return to the classic DMB sound.
    Trouble - this, Dodo, and Too High it really is a shame never hit the full band.
    Fool To Think - I'm glad it gets the dust blown off every now and then, but it really is a strong tune. Just not a improv showcase tune.

Raven - I was way more into the Lillywhites arrangement and vocal direction of Raven, BS kind of took it off my care about list. Same with Joy Ride, the Stand Up version kind of ruined it.

There are several songs that if they played differently would get a lot more love. Angel, for instance. If they took it more straight blues, even Dave solo playing it Robert Johnson style, could be great. But instead it's this droning, lilting thing with a live outro that goes waaaaay too long that makes people realize that the line for the bathroom isn't as long as they thought. If it was a straight ahead blues, horns and violins for accent only, no improvisation outside of bluesy guitar riffs ... it could be a solid midset break between longer jams.

Stand Up (For It) would get more love easily if it was just an outro or breakdown in Recently or Ants. Instead it's an outro jam that thinks it's a song. but it is fun
    I like these points
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #65
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #41Tom View Post
    Surprised to see Gaucho make an appearance here. What are its redeeming qualities? Minus the army of kids, obviously
    When I first heard Gaucho, I thought "This is what the band needs. A radio friendly song that is reminiscent of the glory days of the Big Three, but sound like they've matured." It was a shame it didn't get more play. It would have made the rest of their catalogue gel a bit more for the newcomers.

The song is a journey. It takes you from the band's early sound to each of their personalities with no one really holding back or trying to overshadow anyone else, to stepping out of the comfort zone slightly at the bridge, and then right back for that Rapunzel-esque outro.

Sure it has no true room for organic jamming. But you hear that guitar riff and you know immediately it's Dave playing, as opposed to many of the other post BTCS radio tunes. Each instrument/band member has a time to say "I am here." Boyd is present, but could be more. Jeff evokes LeRoi to perfection. Rashawn works great in his support capacity. Stefan is solid and then steps out with that Please wake up bridge - he's not doing anything fancy, but you hear that and you feel Fonzi. It has sections that flow organically in out of each other. It should have opened the album. Not their best song, not by any means. But it is a great "this is the DMB of today, we acknowledge our roots and are still growing" statement.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-28-2016, 03:45 PM   #66
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    When I first heard Gaucho, I thought "This is what the band needs. A radio friendly song that is reminiscent of the glory days of the Big Three, but sound like they've matured." It was a shame it didn't get more play. It would have made the rest of their catalogue gel a bit more for the newcomers.

The song is a journey. It takes you from the band's early sound to each of their personalities with no one really holding back or trying to overshadow anyone else, to stepping out of the comfort zone slightly at the bridge, and then right back for that Rapunzel-esque outro.

Sure it has no true room for organic jamming. But you hear that guitar riff and you know immediately it's Dave playing, as opposed to many of the other post BTCS radio tunes. Each instrument/band member has a time to say "I am here." Boyd is present, but could be more. Jeff evokes LeRoi to perfection. Rashawn works great in his support capacity. Stefan is solid and then steps out with that Please wake up bridge - he's not doing anything fancy, but you hear that and you feel Fonzi. It has sections that flow organically in out of each other. It should have opened the album. Not their best song, not by any means. But it is a great "this is the DMB of today, we acknowledge our roots and are still growing" statement.
    Interesting. Fair enough! I think there are aspects of what you're saying that I agree with that are present on the Big Three, such as the guitar part, the flow of the sections. However I can't get past the LOUDness if you get me though, and the lyrics grate on me, and the kid chorus bit is fairly weird. I can listen to it, these parts though spoil it for me, so I can't enjoy the whole listening experience (relatively, this is... I still like it but compared to a lot of other DMB music not so much). I think if they'd not electrified Tim or had him lower / less prominent, the kids weren't there and the horn parts felt less forced (personal taste I guess, if you like it) then it'd be a cracking song
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2016, 11:48 AM   #67
    IDidIt41

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Butterfly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K3WQ4aZnLM
    Shotgun Debut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyIjUrGU4vA
    The Fly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d4PzZ5bXYM
    Take A Minute Jam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaUKFcrL6Lw
    Did You Ever Look So Nice-Dave guesting w/ The Samples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuXUVoGRtf0

Just a few great versions
    IDidIt41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #68
    KCGoalen

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would say YMDT (live) is underrated .. Lotta people hate on it but I think it's solid live. Problem is they play it in power spots. Put it mid show and it's much better
    Agreed the only times I've heard it was as a closer and i was extremely disappointed
    KCGoalen is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #69
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IDidIt41 View Post
    to The Fly. I could listen to it on continuous repeat for a half hour. I really dig it. I wish/fantasize that the band try it out a handful of times in the E1 spot, maybe with Boyd, Tim, Stefan and Carter on it.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #70
    hensleytyler44

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Fool to Think - Such an incredible song, just listen to the Deer Creek 2012 version or the Dave solo Benaroya Hall and tell me it's not a good song
    Spaceman - Love the studio version and the live versions, would take this every show
    Bob Law - The funk in this song is spectacular, I feel like I should be making a stank face with Stefan every time they play it because it's just so funky
    hensleytyler44 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #71
    TwoStep01

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Count me in the pro-Gaucho camp as well. Except for the kids chorus, that part always grated on me. But live that isn't an issue. Check out LT29 for a solid Gaucho.

I'm also a lot higher on AFTW as a whole than most people. It didn't really grab me in 2012, but I've gone back to it recently and now prefer it to BW. Only song I usually skip is Mercy.
    2001:Gorge x3; 2002:Gorge x3; 2003:Gorge x2; 2014:Chula Vista; 2015:Irvine; 2016:Chula Vista, Irvine; 2018:Atlanta, Mtn. View; 2021:Irvine x2; 2022: Chula Vista, Hollywood Bowl x2; 2023:Irvine x2;
    TwoStep01 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #72
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

YMDT for the live versions alone. As for solo, I think Stay or Leave is one of the best songs Dave has written, especially in the last 15 years.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #73
    CaptainRaven

Shows Seen: 114

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by heddysteve View Post
    #27 is a great song not played enough

Funny the way it is from Pittsburgh 2012 part of summer warm up series with the dark wya style intro, would love this to be more than a 1 off

Spaceman>Cornbread Each song needs more play but I love the combo. Also cornbread by Itself is another chance to hear carter rip the drums and another way to fake out Halloween.

You Never Know-12 years 38 shows still haven't heard this with or without the big carter intro this has to be played.

American Baby Intro Save it for late in the tour if Dave is going to scream his lungs out but there are some really great ABI>Two Steps. Also a great song for the band to show off improve.

Louisiana Bayou Now with Tim to fill the guest roll bring this song back reworked if necessary

Alligator Pie same as bayou

Hello Again Dave into 7/29/04 companion to stand up version is my favorite

Everybody wake up Never got a chance played so late in the tour when the rest of the album was beat into our heads could be up there with YMDT if they gave it a chance

Beach Ball seeing some play but a great song that needs to sit around

Bayou took a turn for the worse once Tim started touring again. Needs to be slowed down. You never know is one of my favorites, been lucky enough to catch it a few times in my 97 shows. Wake up I thought is a horrible song until the jam and is unoriginal because the lyrics are basically identical to out of my hands. Hello again is great, joy ride would be nice to see more. And gator Pie is especially good when they give the solo to boys and have boys ripping throughout the song as in Hershey 2009 and even Hershey 2013. Don't like he rushed versions of he song that skip he boys solo and have heavy tim. ABI is always fun but it only fits in certain spots, and I believe die trying has come a long way since its start, just listen to piedmont vs. any version played the last year or two. Cornbread is a guilty pleasure of mine, like the energy but I know most of us don't like the song because of its overplayed nature. Beach ball got solo play, I'd like to see it developed full band more, with better controlled jams throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CaptainRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2017, 08:10 PM   #74
    GO BLUE

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Captain.
    GO BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #75
    CrazyEasy354

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Sue me, but I always thought "Hello Again" live was underrated , specifically from LT Vol. 8 @ Alpine, so tasty...

Is is a truly good song? Debatable. But I think it's an interesting choice for most underrated!

Honorable mention: You Never Know or Captain. Not that they aren't recognized as good, if not great, songs by at least a majority of reputable fans, but I feel like sometimes they don't come into conversation as much as they should. Captain definitely pops up a little more than YNK though, it would seem.

Last edited by CrazyEasy354; 01-19-2017 at 01:33 PM.
    CrazyEasy354 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #76
    bowa36

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Raven has really been growing on me the past 5-6 years. It used to not do much for me, but I find myself appreciating it more and more
    Old 01-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #77
    CrazyEasy354

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

+1 for PFWYG, SUPER underrated song, always dug it. Wish we would hear it live a little more often. But perhaps that would ruin the magic of it when it does pop up

CrazyEasy354 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2017, 06:43 AM   #78
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    to The Fly. I could listen to it on continuous repeat for a half hour. I really dig it. I wish/fantasize that the band try it out a handful of times in the E1 spot, maybe with Boyd, Tim, Stefan and Carter on it.
    I have been praying for this since I saw Joshua. I always hoped it would be given full band back in the day. I added it to some devil having it close out the album instead of acoustic gravedigger. I guess there is always hope it could pop up at a Dave and Tim show, but sadly doubt it will ever be played at this point.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote