they make these albums such a big thing - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-08-2008, 06:17 AM   #31
berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Re: they make these albums such a big thing

hahaha, sry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-08-2008, 06:38 AM   #32
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LowEnd_Theory View Post
    Thats cool. I mean I usually pay attention to what thestand has to say and a few other around here, and he just said he would expect this tour to be along the lines of 2002 (meanig thr album is done). Also, just looking around at TDC, it seems to me that the hints being dropped are this thing is gonna be sooner than later as well. I mean, you just gotta take it for what its worth until somehing real is announced, but as of today, Im gonna lean towards the side of this this is going to be done and released mid tour earliest, fall at the latest.

HAHAHAHA, that site lies more than the National Enquierer. Some assclown over there said that the website was going live last Friday with all sorts of info on it. Please, sooner could be November.
    Old 05-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #33
    Semper454

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by berman1125 View Post
    yea i do see what you are saying, and up until about 3 days ago i was one of the biggest pushers for a feb 09 release on this whole site. but for some reason (cavallo interview) i just think its gonna be out soon. and by soon i mean OCT/or first week of NOV

i mean if they give us the release date of the album when the studio site goes live, which i think will be by the tour, that gives you 5-6 months to hype a album, while the band is on tour.
    This doesn't make any sense though. Post-production doesn't take 5 months. If the tracks are done now, the album could be out by July-ish. But I doubt that, because if that was the case, publicity would have gotten started by now. Then, if the tracks aren't done now, there's no time between touring for the band to finish them up before September. And they always take a break post-tour, so I would bet they don't even go back into the studio until October or November. At that point we'd be looking at an Spring/Summer '09 release.
    Old 05-08-2008, 07:21 AM   #34
    berman1125

My Tour Central Stats

how do you know post production doesnt take five months. what if they are recording right now. and they finnish in a week. then great ready for the tour. i think Oct is extremly reasonable. the whole tour is gonna be one big commercial.

but i dont think they will play the new songs to death. prolly pick 2 or 3 that they play all the time. but the winter tour is when we get heavy album play
    Quote:
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    Old 05-08-2008, 07:26 AM   #35
    berman1125

My Tour Central Stats

not too mention fluffys thread about TR3 says, that TR3 is planning a fall release for their studio album so that they can go on tour when dmb is done. so tim will not be in studio with dmb after the tour
    Quote:
    Old 05-08-2008, 07:36 AM   #36
    raid24
    Prettttay Pretttay Good

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    What makes you say they're gonna scrap these sessions?

Also, I think a lot of DMB fans couldn't care less about what they do in the studio, as long as they keep coming back to SPAC, Alpine, The Gorge, etc. every year

im one of those fans - to me dmb is a live band, i see em 5-10 times a year and when im listening to their music 95% of the time its a live recording or release - the only thing a studio album means to me is a tour with 7-9 songs off of that album everynight
    Old 05-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #37
    Cornbread4041

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    No offense, but that would suck. I want new songs.
    you missed the point, my piont is that they could have released an album simliar to that a year ago and tide us over. Or alternatively, if they are now thinking we wont get a new album till 09 release that, tide us over till they can make their EPIC album. Id rather that album now than no album till 09.
    Old 05-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #38
    DerekJTR2

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    not too mention fluffys thread about TR3 says, that TR3 is planning a fall release for their studio album so that they can go on tour when dmb is done. so tim will not be in studio with dmb after the tour
    All th e reason to think they may be done
    Old 05-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #39
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

To me this is the clearest indication that DMB is done or very nearly done with this album. Good point

Old 05-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #40
    BigEyedFerg
    Content and dreaming

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayman414 View Post
    To me this is the clearest indication that DMB is done or very nearly done with this album. Good point
    Perhaps May 12th will release more info than we originally expected...
    Old 05-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #41
    RobRoy286

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

DMB first 3 studio albums > DMB Live, all-time
    Old 05-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #42
    berman1125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigEyedFerg View Post
    Perhaps May 12th will release more info than we originally expected...

well im not holding my breath for may 12. thats just a rumor floating around on TDC that made its way here. just like you can get onto the new website right now

my guess would be before the start of the tour. we get the new site. and with that a shit ton of info
    Quote:
    Old 05-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #43
    aoeiifreak

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobRoy286 View Post
    So you're saying when you listen to DMB on your computer, in general you'd rather listen to studio than live? Wow.
    Old 05-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #44
    DerekJTR2

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    well im not holding my breath for may 12. thats just a rumor floating around on TDC that made its way here. just like you can get onto the new website right now

my guess would be before the start of the tour. we get the new site. and with that a shit ton of info
    Yeah, I was gonna say, can we go way back? Where did May 12th actually come from? It's just become something that everyone is down with and it's origin is kinda of lost. May 2nd is no better than May 12 IMO
    Old 05-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #45
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Old 05-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #46
    Branty

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I see what the post is saying, but I would rather wait until DMB know that they are satisfied with what they want to put out on an album. I find when I do any sort of work if you look back on it a few months later you start to see things that your not satisfied with and can tweak. I know the end result might not be as good as an earlier version in some peoples opinion, but I guess if the band as a whole and Rob Cavallo think the songs have been improved with the alterations then thats what the final product will be. I guess you could get obsessed with tweaking it, but hopefully that won't happen and someone at some point will need to say, yeah Im satisfied with that.

So in summary I reckon a break over summer from the album will be good and then tweak it up after tour. Thats what I reckon they will do anyway.

Also, I was wondering, have we had anything confirmed saying that Rashawn Ross and Butch Taylor were in the studio this time. Just the email I received from Dave Matthews Band confirming Tim Reynolds is touring all summer mentioned he has been working in the studio with DMB on the album and then it mentions that RR and BT are also touring this summer, but it never mentioned that they were in the studio. I'm probably reading more into this than there is, but if they were not in the studio then maybe they will be adding bits to the album at a later date, like after summer tour? Just a thought anyway
    Old 05-09-2008, 02:37 AM   #47
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cornbread4041 View Post
    you missed the point, my piont is that they could have released an album simliar to that a year ago and tide us over. Or alternatively, if they are now thinking we wont get a new album till 09 release that, tide us over till they can make their EPIC album. Id rather that album now than no album till 09.
    I wouldn't. I'd rather they took their pick from all those songs in an effort to make this next studio work worth it. I don't want a "Busted Stuff" type deal that is a decent album with great songs. The production/etc of BS is such a joke, yet it has really solid songs. I don't want that. It's lazy bullshit. I'm not impatient. I can live my life without a new DMB studio album every 2 years.

I would just be pissed if they took those songs and perminantely ruined their studio chances forever. The BS versions of Grey Street and Bartender are both SO much better on tLWS, so if it weren't for that disc, those songs would be remembered forever as shitty on studio albums, which I don't want to happen to the likes of Sweet Up and Down, #27, Shotgun, Crazy Easy, etc etc.

Quote:
    Eh...at times. 1996-1998 DMB live is definitely up there (and 2000 argueably). Songs like BOWA, The Stone, etc can never be topped live. Those studio cuts are perfection.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    So you're saying when you listen to DMB on your computer, in general you'd rather listen to studio than live? Wow.
    I think what he was saying was that it is a better work of art. Again, listen to BOWA from Under the Table and Dreaming. When the "Hey la la..." hits, tell me that's not beautiful. You can't, because it is. That cut there beats any performance BOWA has or will ever have. DMB put out 3 FANTASTIC studio albums during those years, that sadly get overlooked by the "DMB is a live band" assumption. Steve Lillywhite knew EXACTLY what the band was about and how to make it work in the studio. It was brilliant.

For example, DDTW are two completely totally different monsters (studio/live). Both are great though if you take the time to appreciate both of them. It took me forever to learn to appreciate the subtilties of DDTW in the studio. Alanis is chilling.
    Old 05-09-2008, 04:27 AM   #48
    LowEnd_Theory
    ...the cool-out breed

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I listen to UTTAD and BTCS more than any other discs from DMB.

Quote:
    not sure about all time, but i definatly agree with the point you are making. dmb used to be just as good, if not better in the studio than live imo.

I know there's a full moon every night. When I dress black it snows white...
    Old 05-09-2008, 04:57 AM   #49
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Old 05-09-2008, 05:16 AM   #50
    BigEyedFerg
    Content and dreaming

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DerekJTR2 View Post
    Yeah, I was gonna say, can we go way back? Where did May 12th actually come from? It's just become something that everyone is down with and it's origin is kinda of lost. May 2nd is no better than May 12 IMO
    May 12 originated from more reliable sources than smittay, I thought....like along the lines of moses? We can't condemn TDC as a bullshit machine just because of one smartass bullshitter
    Old 05-09-2008, 05:51 AM   #51
    berman1125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

for some dumb reason all i did was listen to live material for so long. my albums just rotted away on my self. but you should pop in BTCS or Crash. the segues and everything sound so crisp. carter sounds so nice. proudest monkey, 41, crash, stone, rapunzel, last stop.

the point of the studio effort is to make the perfect version of that specific song. of course this would be a little boring if they did it live all the time, and thats why they have solos and change things around. but when they release cornbread, i hope they took the time to make it the best song it could be.

this band is a live band, but the studio stuff should not go unnoticed
    Quote:
    Old 05-09-2008, 05:55 AM   #52
    BigEyedFerg
    Content and dreaming

My Tour Central Stats

^The point of studio stuff USED to be to make the highest quality version of the song. With Stand Up, they seemed to forget this, and focused instead on releasing teh 3P1CZ venues in Live Trax :-/

Last edited by BigEyedFerg; 05-09-2008 at 05:57 AM.
    Old 05-09-2008, 05:57 AM   #53
    berman1125

My Tour Central Stats

theres no doubt that you can find better versions of ED BS and SU live, but thats hard to say about the big 3. the reason i said all if that is because when im at my computer i play albums just as much as i play live stuff from DMB.
    Quote:
    Old 05-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #54
    BigEyedFerg
    Content and dreaming

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i play albums just as much as i play live stuff from DMB.
    I definitely try to balance it out as well
    Old 05-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #55
    Kook
    boom

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I wouldn't. I'd rather they took their pick from all those songs in an effort to make this next studio work worth it. I don't want a "Busted Stuff" type deal that is a decent album with great songs. The production/etc of BS is such a joke, yet it has really solid songs. I don't want that. It's lazy bullshit. I'm not impatient. I can live my life without a new DMB studio album every 2 years.

I would just be pissed if they took those songs and perminantely ruined their studio chances forever. The BS versions of Grey Street and Bartender are both SO much better on tLWS, so if it weren't for that disc, those songs would be remembered forever as shitty on studio albums, which I don't want to happen to the likes of Sweet Up and Down, #27, Shotgun, Crazy Easy, etc etc.

Eh...at times. 1996-1998 DMB live is definitely up there (and 2000 argueably). Songs like BOWA, The Stone, etc can never be topped live. Those studio cuts are perfection.

I think what he was saying was that it is a better work of art. Again, listen to BOWA from Under the Table and Dreaming. When the "Hey la la..." hits, tell me that's not beautiful. You can't, because it is. That cut there beats any performance BOWA has or will ever have. DMB put out 3 FANTASTIC studio albums during those years, that sadly get overlooked by the "DMB is a live band" assumption. Steve Lillywhite knew EXACTLY what the band was about and how to make it work in the studio. It was brilliant.

For example, DDTW are two completely totally different monsters (studio/live). Both are great though if you take the time to appreciate both of them. It took me forever to learn to appreciate the subtilties of DDTW in the studio. Alanis is chilling.
    amen.

take the time to do the songs justice.

we all need to relax, be patient, and show some respect and decency to the band.

honestly, who the hell are we to demand an album to tide us over? who the hell are we to tell dmb that since otis redding recorded an album in a day, they should too? cream did it, jimi did too. stop and think.

they are the musicians and artists. it's their creative process that's completely different from anyone else's. if you want to pump out the studio albums, go start your own band.

just remember; they don't need to release anything. they could stop tomorrow and we'd be left with nothing to look forward to/speculate/argue/complain about. i'm sure they could easily pump out songs, but they have their artistic right that we shouldn't challenge. it's just not respectful. you wouldn't hover over picasso and tell him to hurry up, or ask him why he did that brush stroke instead of this one because it would have looked so much better.

and don't worry about hearing the studio versions of crazy easy, loving wings and whatever isn't on the new album. one day they'll come out. if not on an album, then when rca decides to release on gigantic box set with hundreds of b-sides, some rare live stuff, and misc. shit.
    Old 05-09-2008, 08:59 AM   #56
    solsburyhill
    MM #57

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

so in comparison, have they been working on this album much longer than they worked on su? i don't remember when they started work for either one.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #57
    BigEyedFerg
    Content and dreaming

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kook View Post
    you wouldn't hover over picasso and tell him to hurry up, or ask him why he did that brush stroke instead of this one because it would have looked so much better.
    Lulz, Picasso was a crook... stole all of George Braque's ideas!

/nerdy art history lesson

But yeah, I'd say DMB forfeited their status as "artists" with the release of Stand Up. Not saying they'll never be able to recapture the status of "artists" again, but it's going to be a steep hill to climb and they're gonna have to work their asses off. But I agree with you --- really it's none of our business as to what they ultimately do. It's their band. We're just here to enjoy what we choose to enjoy
    Old 05-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #58
    RobRoy286

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes. People generally overlook DMB's studio work.
    Old 05-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #59
    RobRoy286

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

EXACTLY what I was trying to say. And thumbs up about DDTW, I feel the same way. I've learned to love DDTW studio, I like the chill tempo.
    Old 05-10-2008, 02:41 AM   #60
    jmdt52
    alpine=heaven

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

dMb writes and does their best in a live environment, the reason studio is often seen as not as good is because the difficulty of capturing that live feel on an album. The only person up to this point who has been able to do that is S. Lillywhite. That is why he is regarded as the ultimate producer. For a dMb album to be great the producer must be able to capture a live feel to the music.