What You Are vs. Halloween - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: What You Are vs. Halloween
What You Are 85 44.04%
Halloween 108 55.96%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2015, 06:09 AM   #91
loganlee_41

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: What You Are vs. Halloween

I think simply because they play Halloween more often than WYA, that I've gotten burnt out on Halloween. I've never got to see WYA live so I'm totally biased towards the song because I want to see it in person.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #92
    cornnuts

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartender_man View Post
    One of your better posts

maybe one day i'll be able to figure out how to start a thread that doesn't get locked. these mysteries the mods present me with.......
    cornnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #93
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alpine_nancies View Post
    your taste in dmb music is brutal then, wow. you probably like cornbread and can't stop more than say goodbye and pig... because that's the equivalent of what you are saying...
    WYA sucks, I probably would take Cornbread over it.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #94
    alpine_nancies

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post

i knew it
    alpine_nancies is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #95
    bartender_man

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Trolling right?
    Old 08-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #96
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

No, I actually would probably take Cornbread over it. WYA is way overrated, and I think Cornbread is criminally underrated. Used to hate it like others, but over time developed a liking for it. It has "it" to it, no two ways around it.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2015, 01:37 PM   #97
    bartender_man

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No, I actually would probably take Cornbread over it. WYA is way overrated, and I think Cornbread is criminally underrated. Used to hate it like others, but over time developed a liking for it. It has "it" to it, no two ways around it.
    I can agree on WYA being overrated but Cornbread underrated? Absolutely not.....Song is fucking pathetic. Bottom 3 for me.
    Old 08-31-2015, 09:53 PM   #98
    splack03

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Halloween still kicks ass live, but it disappoints me the decisions the band has made with the song. My 10 qualms:
    1. Dave keeps changing the intonation of the verses so much that it seems like forced energy (compare that to the slight intonations used at the tabernacle that worked perfectly).
    2. The lyrics used to vary a bit while still sounding audible and keeping the best lines in place; now, you are lucky if you get a coherent sentence in the entire song.
    3. Where the hell is Carter's drum solo? I get that the segues are kind of cool, but the drum solo buildup is a tremendously energy builder (see Gorge 2002)
    4. Boyd's opera intro. I get it, Boyd fucks up sometimes. But the boyd violin opera intro fits the song so well and has just disappeared and been replaced by...
    5. Tim's alien noises. Actually hurts my eardrums.
    6. Tim's...everything. I want to hear Dave's acoustic riff, I want to hear him slam on his guitar, I don't want Tim's licks constantly muting dave.
    7. Give me a real opera outro. Come on Dave, it's not that hard for you, I know you can do it.
    8. If you are gonna do segues instead of the better choice (Carter's drum intro), do the best segues you can possibly do. A hello again-->carter drum solo--->halloween, or a two step--->drum solo-->halloween would be incredible. instead, the segues consist of ants fakes and the end of random songs (like minarets at jones beach which, while a great encore, doesn't really call for that segue).
    9. Don't mess up "tell me are you satisfied with fucking?" In fact, don't change up that line at all (which Dave does almost every time). That's the line we all want to shout at the top of our lungs. We don't want that line messed with. And finally....
    10. PRONOUNCE HALLOWEEN. Seriously. What the hell. It's the name of the song. Dave would blast it with the utmost conviction back in the day (see Tabernacle once again). Now today, it's a mix of "do you see?" or some other weird noise that sounds like Dave may be suffering from a seizure.

With all that said, Halloween over What You Are.

Last edited by splack03; 08-31-2015 at 09:55 PM.
    splack03 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-01-2015, 06:04 AM   #99
    pogoslis

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

wow close poll. I have to pick What You Are. one of the first songs that got me really into the band

pogoslis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-01-2015, 06:16 AM   #100
    Cug1ne

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Not sure if this was said here yet or not... but everyone who chose Halloween over WYA should go listen to the WYA from Red Rocks on the Everyday: Spotify live series album. That version of the song is not only one of my top dmb songs but was one that really got me into the band (among many other things).

I wouldn't choose the album version of either simply because we know how fantastic both songs can be live. Halloween grew on me and I like it. But What you are really hits home for me.
    Cug1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-01-2015, 07:59 AM   #101
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

What You Are is fucking awesome

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #102
    alpine_nancies

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    What You Are is fucking awesome
    Yes, this...
    alpine_nancies is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #103
    cornnuts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by splack03 View Post
    Halloween still kicks ass live, but it disappoints me the decisions the band has made with the song. My 10 qualms:
    1. Dave keeps changing the intonation of the verses so much that it seems like forced energy (compare that to the slight intonations used at the tabernacle that worked perfectly).
    2. The lyrics used to vary a bit while still sounding audible and keeping the best lines in place; now, you are lucky if you get a coherent sentence in the entire song.
    3. Where the hell is Carter's drum solo? I get that the segues are kind of cool, but the drum solo buildup is a tremendously energy builder (see Gorge 2002)
    4. Boyd's opera intro. I get it, Boyd fucks up sometimes. But the boyd violin opera intro fits the song so well and has just disappeared and been replaced by...
    6. Tim's...everything. I want to hear Dave's acoustic riff, I want to hear him slam on his guitar, I don't want Tim's licks constantly muting dave.
    7. Give me a real opera outro. Come on Dave, it's not that hard for you, I know you can do it.
    8. If you are gonna do segues instead of the better choice (Carter's drum intro), do the best segues you can possibly do. A hello again-->carter drum solo--->halloween, or a two step--->drum solo-->halloween would be incredible. instead, the segues consist of ants fakes and the end of random songs (like minarets at jones beach which, while a great encore, doesn't really call for that segue).
    9. Don't mess up "tell me are you satisfied with fucking?" In fact, don't change up that line at all (which Dave does almost every time). That's the line we all want to shout at the top of our lungs. We don't want that line messed with. And finally....
    10. PRONOUNCE HALLOWEEN. Seriously. What the hell. It's the name of the song. Dave would blast it with the utmost conviction back in the day (see Tabernacle once again). Now today, it's a mix of "do you see?" or some other weird noise that sounds like Dave may be suffering from a seizure.

best post in the thread
    Old 09-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #104
    hkhund07

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cornnuts View Post
    both are overrated and not top 50 material by this band
    in your opinion
    hkhund07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #105
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by splack03 View Post

You could actually make this review for about 85% of the catalog now with this current lineup. See bolded.

Last edited by kelchlsm; 09-01-2015 at 11:51 AM.
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #106
    cornnuts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hkhund07 View Post
    in your opinion

well yeah no shit man. it's an opinion board. you think anyone around here takes my opinion as fact or even half way seriously most of the time other than bartenderman? sorry you didn't like my breakdown of lt31 brother.

the only person who's "opinion" should be taken as fact around here is crashintonick. you should know this.
    Old 09-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #107
    cornnuts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    You could actually make this review for about 85% of the catalog now with this current lineup. See bolded.
    Old 09-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #108
    Todefy
    Eur 19 SetlistGameChamp

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    haha really funny to read the bolded as a post
    Todefy is offline   Reply With Quote