Spreadsheet... - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #121
TwoStone41

Shows Seen: 77

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Spreadsheet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancheatham View Post
As awesome as this is, I don't see how can be in line with DMB's taping/trading policy... (has this been brought up already?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davematthewsband.com/legal
Taping

Matthews Band allows audiotaping at almost every live performance. We feel that each show is unique and want to offer our fans the opportunity to recreate the live experience through the audio reproduction of our shows. At all taping authorized performances, tapers can tape from any ticketed seating location in the venue. Also,for many of these performances tapers are able to purchase tickets for a specially designated taper section, normally located immediately behind the soundboard. No soundboard or power feeds are provided.

Taping is limited to audio-only, using only microphones. Wireless receivers are strictly prohibited. We sincerely appreciate all of our fans, so we ask that you please be considerate of those around you by not obstructing anyone else's view of the performance.

All recordings must be used for personal use or trading only. Selling or commercializing any recording is illegal and will jeopardize taping privileges for everyone. Please read our Bootleg Statement for more information.

In addition to helping fans recreate the live experience, we hope tape trading will foster greater interaction within the fan community. Any method of trading that does not involve personal fan interaction defeats the spirit of this goal of the taping policy and is not authorized. In particular, posting audio or video files on web sites for streaming to or downloading by the public, is not authorized.
Yep. It's the whole reason they get taken down from archive.org. Impressive work, guys, but I think you have to take it down.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #122
    dancheatham

Shows Seen: 72

My Tour Central Stats

I think the way to get around it is to make it login-based. That seems to be how sites like dreamingtree.org are okay.
    Old 01-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #123
    crush0617

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStone41 View Post
    Yep. It's the whole reason they get taken down from archive.org. Impressive work, guys, but I think you have to take it down.
    Disagree.. Dmb was taken off of Archive about 8 years ago I believe. Although they have not updated their policy there are tons of fans hosting entire shows on various sites. I would be surprised if DMb Management cared about this at all.

To those working on this continue the great work.

Last edited by crush0617; 01-11-2011 at 05:18 PM.
    crush0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #124
    TwoStone41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think the way to get around it is to make it login-based. That seems to be how sites like dreamingtree.org are okay.
    Maaaaaaybe, but I think dt.org is allowed because it's BitTorrent, which is fans directly sharing files with other fans, rather than being hosted on a central server. A technicality to us, maybe, but that's how they're defining fan interaction.
    Old 01-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #125
    TwoStone41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crush0617 View Post
    Disagree.. Dmb was taken off of Archive about 8 years ago I believe.
    I know that. How is that disagreeing with what I said?

Quote:
    Although they have not updated their policy there are tons of fans hosting entire shows on various sites.
    I'm not sure what you're getting at in the first half of that sentence. Anyway, depending on the circumstances, some or all of those are defying the policy as well. We can't do things just because other people are doing it and that makes it OK. Isn't AM.org supposed to be the premiere DMB fansite? We should be setting the standard, not trying to pass the buck.

Quote:
    I would be surprised if DMb Management cared about this at all.
    It's entirely possible they don't care about it. But I don't think the responsible thing to do is assume they don't and just do whatever we want. As it's currently set up, it's pretty clearly against the policy.

Last edited by TwoStone41; 01-11-2011 at 06:40 PM.
    TwoStone41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #126
    MsEmilyNYC
    Dreaming Tree Hugger

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Isn't Phish's policy the exact same? And don't they have the same management (and therefore the same "rule-makers")?
    MsEmilyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #127
    dancheatham

Shows Seen: 72

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsEmilyNYC View Post
    Isn't Phish's policy the exact same? And don't they have the same management (and therefore the same "rule-makers")?
    No, Phish's is different. Theirs has nothing against sharing files online in any way, as long as the recordings themselves are okay:

Quote:
    A statement of compliance with this policy must be clearly posted on all web sites engaged in trading activity. It is the responsibility of the site host to remain informed of the current list of officially released recordings and to maintain their site according to the taping policy.
    http://phish.com/#/faq/taping-guidelines
    Old 01-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #128
    MsEmilyNYC
    Dreaming Tree Hugger

Shows Seen: 91

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No, Phish's is different. Theirs has nothing against sharing files online in any way, as long as the recordings themselves are okay:

http://phish.com/#/faq/taping-guidelines
    I stand corrected.
    MsEmilyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #129
    sean52692

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, it's barely against their policy. But there are a ton of other sites that have shows uploaded to sendspace/mediafire, and so on....I dont really think management cares too much.
    sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2011, 06:30 AM   #130
    crush0617

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Debbie Downer
    I know that. How is that disagreeing with what I said?

I'm not sure what you're getting at in the first half of that sentence. Anyway, depending on the circumstances, some or all of those are defying the policy as well. We can't do things just because other people are doing it and that makes it OK. Isn't AM.org supposed to be the premiere DMB fansite? We should be setting the standard, not trying to pass the buck.

It's entirely possible they don't care about it. But I don't think the responsible thing to do is assume they don't and just do whatever we want. As it's currently set up, it's pretty clearly against the policy.
    What I disagree with is that you say just take the site down forget trying to do something nice for the DMB community. You bring up Ants being a premiere DMB fansite and you are correct. Is there not a lossless download thread here on Antsmarching? How is that any different almost all of those links are rapidshare and mediafire. The notion that Bit Torrent is fan interaction is kind of laughable imo although I know that is used as a loophole.

Last edited by crush0617; 01-12-2011 at 06:32 AM.
    crush0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #131
    TwoStone41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What I disagree with is that you say just take the site down forget trying to do something nice for the DMB community. You bring up Ants being a premiere DMB fansite and you are correct. Is there not a lossless download thread here on Antsmarching? How is that any different almost all of those links are rapidshare and mediafire. The notion that Bit Torrent is fan interaction is kind of laughable imo although I know that is used as a loophole.
    It does not matter how "nice" or "convenient" it is for the community. If it's against the policy, which I genuinely think it is, it has to come down or at least be modified in order to fit into the policy.

The lossless download thread, is random shows/songs posted throughout the thread, with lots of discussion in between, not hundreds of shows you can access with one click. That's how it's different.

Years ago when they opted out of the archive, I believe they specifically did say BitTorrents were OK. There is discussion on every single torrent thread on every single DMB torrent site I've ever seen, most of it people talking about the show/recording or directly thanking the taper. I think that certainly qualifies as fan interaction. I really don't care whether you think that's a "laughable" distinction or not. It's what the band/management said, and it's what we as fans have to respect. It's not the same as logging into some server scrolling through folders to download shows (and paying $9 for it is DEFINITELY not something the band would be cool with, even if you are technically only paying for bandwidth).

Saying "but it's so cool" or "I don't see a difference" or "other people are doing it" are not valid reasons for keeping the spreadsheet. This is not a gray area. They have clearly stated in the policy that they don't want entire databases of shows up for download and would rather keep it to methods that require fan interaction.

Look, I'm not trying to ruin everyone's fun just for the sake of it. On the contrary, I'm trying to honor the band's wishes, so they don't change their mind about letting us tape and trade their shows.
    Old 01-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #132
    crush0617

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It does not matter how "nice" or "convenient" it is for the community. If it's against the policy, which I genuinely think it is, it has to come down or at least be modified in order to fit into the policy.

The lossless download thread, is random shows/songs posted throughout the thread, with lots of discussion in between, not hundreds of shows you can access with one click. That's how it's different.

Years ago when they opted out of the archive, I believe they specifically did say BitTorrents were OK. There is discussion on every single torrent thread on every single DMB torrent site I've ever seen, most of it people talking about the show/recording or directly thanking the taper. I think that certainly qualifies as fan interaction. I really don't care whether you think that's a "laughable" distinction or not. It's what the band/management said, and it's what we as fans have to respect. It's not the same as logging into some server scrolling through folders to download shows (and paying $9 for it is DEFINITELY not something the band would be cool with, even if you are technically only paying for bandwidth).

Saying "but it's so cool" or "I don't see a difference" or "other people are doing it" are not valid reasons for keeping the spreadsheet. This is not a gray area. They have clearly stated in the policy that they don't want entire databases of shows up for download and would rather keep it to methods that require fan interaction.

Look, I'm not trying to ruin everyone's fun just for the sake of it. On the contrary, I'm trying to honor the band's wishes, so they don't change their mind about letting us tape and trade their shows.
    OK than going on what you have said the people behind the spreadsheet should just start a forum and start threads and link the shows from there than we are all good. Secondly you are incorrect about having to pay to download the shows on the spreadsheet. I have downloaded a couple and I have not paid $.01. I know what the policy is and I see your point on that though. IMO I think DMB should update their policy to fit 2011.
    Old 01-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #133
    TwoStone41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    OK than going on what you have said the people behind the spreadsheet should just start a forum and start threads and link the shows from there than we are all good.
    That would work, if it was done the right way.

Quote:
    Secondly you are incorrect about having to pay to download the shows on the spreadsheet. I have downloaded a couple and I have not paid $.01.
    I never said you have to pay to download. Come on, you know what $9 I'm talking about, right? It's mentioned in the very first post of the thread. You have the option of paying $9/mo. for a "premium" MediaFire account, which lets you download more shows, more conveniently. That clearly goes against the spirit of free trading because someone (in this case, MediaFire) is profiting from you downloading shows.

Quote:
    I know what the policy is and I see your point on that though. IMO I think DMB should update their policy to fit 2011.
    So, what you really mean here is "I think DMB should update their policy to fit what I want." Nothing has changed between 2002-ish (when they established their current policy) and 2011. The notion of fan interaction hasn't changed in that time, nor DMB's disapproval of bulk downloads from a server. How is this spreadsheet any different from the Archive, which DMB specifically opted out of?

Last edited by TwoStone41; 01-12-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    TwoStone41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #134
    crush0617

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That would work, if it was done the right way.

I never said you have to pay to download. Come on, you know what $9 I'm talking about, right? It's mentioned in the very first post of the thread. You have the option of paying $9/mo. for a "premium" MediaFire account, which lets you download more shows, more conveniently. That clearly goes against the spirit of free trading because someone (in this case, MediaFire) is profiting from you downloading shows.

So, what you really mean here is "I think DMB should update their policy to fit what I want." Nothing has changed between 2002-ish (when they established their current policy) and 2011. The notion of fan interaction hasn't changed in that time, nor DMB's disapproval of bulk downloads from a server. How is this spreadsheet any different from the Archive, which DMB specifically opted out of?

First off things have changed since 2002. In 2002 there was still alot of B+P's happening as well as Cd trading. Take a look at the Trading forum here I don't see much activity do you. Regarding your incorrect comment about me wanting Dmb to change their policys for what I want I still get most of my shows from Dreamingtree. The policy should be changed for day we live in imo. The only thing I disagreed with was your stance of just take it down end of story I don't think it has to be as cut and dry as that.
    Old 01-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #135
    sdevaney

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

You are not required to pay anything to download from Mediafire or most other places like that. You pay for a couple of conveniences (more than 1 DL at a time, and wait time between downloads goes away) which have nothing to do with what is uploaded.

They do not make a profit off the uploads if you do not purchase a premium account, it is a personal choice not a requirement to get the download, so that point is kind of moot IMHO.
    sdevaney is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #136
    Auzz76
    Dead Creek

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Hey Weller just a heads up Track 3 from Disc 1 on the 1999-2-21 Dave and Tim show at DePauw is missing. Thanks!
    Auzz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #137
    weller3377
    Bag It, Tag It

Shows Seen: 64

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Auzz76 View Post
    Hey Weller just a heads up Track 3 from Disc 1 on the 1999-2-21 Dave and Tim show at DePauw is missing. Thanks!
    Thanks buddy, I will look into getting it fixed. A friend is borrowing my external right now
    Old 01-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #138
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

My Tour Central Stats

Another head's up,

You have the ACL TV show labeled as the ACL Festival (10/3/2009).

Personally, I'd put the TV show as 8/10/2009 (the day of the actual performance). Just my two cents though.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 01-23-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #139
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

My Tour Central Stats

edit: To be more specific:

The TV show aired on 10/3/2009, the same night that DMB performed at the ACL Festival. You have the date 10/3/2009 labled as ACL Festival, which is correct, but the files that are actually in there are from the TV show, not the festival.
    Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #140
    Auzz76
    Dead Creek

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by weller3377 View Post
    Thanks buddy, I will look into getting it fixed. A friend is borrowing my external right now
    Another thing about the same show, tracks 4, 7, and 9 appear to be corrupt. Thanks again. All your work is appreciated
    Auzz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #141
    weller3377
    Bag It, Tag It

Shows Seen: 64

My Tour Central Stats

Did some work today on this finally. Tried to fix everything (please let me know if you see problems with any dl's) and added the following:

6.18.08, 6.20.08, 6.24.08, 6.25.08, 6.27.08, 06.28.08, 7.1.08, 7.2.08, 7.4.08, 7.5.08, 7.7.08, 7.20.08, 7.30.08, 8.1.08, 8.5.08, 8.7.08, 8.16.08, 8.22.08, 8.23.08, 8.30.08, 8.31.08, 7.9.08, 7.22.08, 4.21.01, 4.28.01, 5.1.01, 5.2.01, 5.12.01, 5.15.01, 5.18.01, 5.19.01, 5.22.01, 5.26.01, 5.27.01, 6.3.01, 6.4.01, 6.9.01, 6.11.01, 6.12.01, 6.13.01, 6.16.01, 6.17.01, 6.20.01, 6.23.01, 6.24.01, 7.6.01, 7.7.01, 7.11.01, 7.15.01, 7.17.01, 7.20.01, 7.21.01, 7.23.01, 7.27.01, 7.29.01, 8.1.01, 8.3.01, 8.4.01, 8.8.01, 8.10.01, 8.24.01, 8.25.01, 8.26.01, 4.4.02, 4.5.02, 4.7.02, 4.8.02, 4.10.02, 4.12.02, 4.19.02, 4.21.02, 4.23.02, 4.24.02, 4.26.02, 4.29.02, 5.2.02, 5.4.02, 5.5.02, 5.10.02, 5.13.02, 5.16.02, 5.19.02, 5.28.02, 5.29.02, 7.5.02, 7.6.02, 7.8.02, 7.9.023, 7.11.02, 7.12.02, 7.13.02, 7.16.02, 12.11.02, 12.20.02
    Old 04-11-2011, 06:31 AM   #142
    jmccully61

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Im not sure if this has already been mentioned because I have not read the entire post, but there is a site called dmbexchange.com that was very popular back in the days of b&p. It lists every DMB, D+T, D+F, DM, DM radio, soundchecks, comps, etc along with every single source known. You will not be able to download shows from there, but that is what dreamingtree.org is for.

Granted its original purpose has passed, but it is a great tool for collectors to keep track of their collection. Also, just to try to get the word out to the new generation of collectors, if you go to the site, then my username is the same, jmccully61. When the page first pops up, I am in the middle of the screen around 14th. Click my name, and that is all of the shows I have, excluding IEMs, If anybody needs a show, then shoot me a PM. I have over 1,675 different shows, but I have yet to update it for 2010 and some older shows that have been fixed and put back into circulation.
    jmccully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-11-2011, 06:51 AM   #143
    jmccully61

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    First off things have changed since 2002. In 2002 there was still alot of B+P's happening as well as Cd trading. Take a look at the Trading forum here I don't see much activity do you. Regarding your incorrect comment about me wanting Dmb to change their policys for what I want I still get most of my shows from Dreamingtree. The policy should be changed for day we live in imo. The only thing I disagreed with was your stance of just take it down end of story I don't think it has to be as cut and dry as that.

Just to weigh in on ya'lls discussion. From what I have gathered DMB is not on archive.org because they wanted to create a community of traders rather than clicking a button to get their shows. I joined the trading community in the late 90's when the DMBHUB was popular, which was an FTP server. In all honesty, the hub did create a great place for fan interaction amongst a small group of people.

From talking to the people on the HUB DMB's trading circle started back in the early 90's among a small group of people who did B&P's until the Hub. Then Ants allowed downloads of DMB shows in the early part of last decade until either late 04 or early 05. I forget the reason why people were not allowed to download from ants, but I believe because it was too impersonal. Dont qoute me on this because this occurred right as I joined Ants, and I do not remember all the facts. In form it was basically an FTP server, one could click a show, and on the bottom left corner it would show who had the show available to download. Then you would click, and download.

Shortly there after, dreamingtree.org was created, which is bittorrent, and is a really good community of people who help out one another. It might not seem like much of a difference between the two forms, but the majority of the tapers are core members of DT (DT is a very small community to begin with), and they basically control how tapes are released. For example, a few D+T shows from 1999 have been out of circulation for years, and recently one of the members cleaned up the tapes, and uploaded them on DT for people to download them.

I hope this info helps.
    Old 04-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #144
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

My Tour Central Stats

This has made my day. I use torrents, bit I find this will probably be a bit easier.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #145
    nbroscoff

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not very computer literate. Does MediaFire make it so you can download directly to Windows Media PLayer like an MP3 file or do you still have to download to WinAmp and convert it to an MP3 file?
    Old 04-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #146
    jmccully61

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nbroscoff View Post
    I'm not very computer literate. Does MediaFire make it so you can download directly to Windows Media PLayer like an MP3 file or do you still have to download to WinAmp and convert it to an MP3 file?

Go to dreamingtree.org, and create an account. They have a ton of shows, and if there is one you are looking for and it is not there, then you can request it.

As for using WMP, and WinAmp and MP3. Keep the show in the original format, normally Flac because it sounds 100X better (only convert to mp3 if you are putting it on your iPod). Download Foobar it is the best device to use to play songs on because it is completely customizable.
    Old 04-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #147
    nbroscoff

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmccully61 View Post
    Go to dreamingtree.org, and create an account. They have a ton of shows, and if there is one you are looking for and it is not there, then you can request it.

As for using WMP, and WinAmp and MP3. Keep the show in the original format, normally Flac because it sounds 100X better (only convert to mp3 if you are putting it on your iPod). Download Foobar it is the best device to use to play songs on because it is completely customizable.
    OK. I have an account with dreamingtree.org but I was just wondering if there were any advantages to MediaFire. I usually only download shows I've been to but been thinking about downloading more. If they start releasing better shows I won't have to download more!

Thanks for the help.
    Old 04-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #148
    jmccully61

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nbroscoff View Post
    OK. I have an account with dreamingtree.org but I was just wondering if there were any advantages to MediaFire. I usually only download shows I've been to but been thinking about downloading more. If they start releasing better shows I won't have to download more!

Thanks for the help.
    DMB has released roughly what 40 or 50 shows combining live releases, live traxs, and live series. Management will probably continue the same philosophy, and release roughly 2 Live Trax a year, 2 or 3 Live Series, and roughly 1 live release a year. They have played roughly 2,000 shows, and I have over 1,700 different shows. To be honest with you, there are tons of great shows that have yet to be released.
    Old 04-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #149
    nbroscoff

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmccully61 View Post
    DMB has released roughly what 40 or 50 shows combining live releases, live traxs, and live series. Management will probably continue the same philosophy, and release roughly 2 Live Trax a year, 2 or 3 Live Series, and roughly 1 live release a year. They have played roughly 2,000 shows, and I have over 1,700 different shows. To be honest with you, there are tons of great shows that have yet to be released.
    Yeah that's true. I've been thinking about get an external hard drive just for my music so I don't have to keep it on my laptop that's going to shit. Probably will start downloading shows when I get that cuz there are too many good shows to release like you said.
    Old 04-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #150
    evgatch

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

wow! just logged in and saw this. great work.
    a suggestion to those that like direct downloading, get the Jdownloader app. it does a great job of organizing all of your direct downloads.
    heres a link: http://jdownloader.org/home/index
    downloaded it a few months ago and it has made my life so much easier.
    again, thanks a ton
    evgatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    download , tapers , upload